EA Forums - Banner

A very underrated complaint...

Replies

• Bmh245 wrote: »
    NHLDev wrote: »
    On a possessed puck that was dragged through a players legs in a wrist shot attempt, they would lose the puck.

This year, we tried to put the player taking the shot into a stumble but that caused some knock ons. Instead, we really hinder your shot and it flubs away if your stick goes through a players stick or legs first. If you aren't seeing that, please let us know as that hasn't been the case in the games we have played or the testing we have done. Thanks.

Bure shoots and scores right through a player's leg:

Bmh, if you press the button on your controller that removes the controls menu in your instant replay just one extra time, it removes the circle that gets locked on the puck/player. That way, we can see replays much clearer.
  • eric57664 wrote: »
    Bmh245 wrote: »
    On a possessed puck that was dragged through a players legs in a wrist shot attempt, they would lose the puck.

This year, we tried to put the player taking the shot into a stumble but that caused some knock ons. Instead, we really hinder your shot and it flubs away if your stick goes through a players stick or legs first. If you aren't seeing that, please let us know as that hasn't been the case in the games we have played or the testing we have done. Thanks.

Bmh, if you press the button on your controller that removes the controls menu in your instant replay just one extra time, it removes the circle that gets locked on the puck/player. That way, we can see replays much clearer.

But if you remove the circle, don't you also remove the player indicators? You need those on replays, so you can see if we're talking about user-controlled players or AI-controlled players.

• NHLDev wrote: »

Booooh!!

I commented on this in another thread where this video was also used. We don't consider incidental contact against a teammate.

The reason for this is because we don't have any avoid animations for your teammate to lift a leg or move their stick to avoid contact that would disrupt your pickup, allow you to skate through a tighter space or get a shot off.

For opponents, we know they would want to do anything they could to disrupt you so it works in those cases.

We did have a task early on to allow incidental contact with teammates as well as part of our incidental contact toggle for offline play but it was cut due to time. It may be something we can look at again in the future so that people could see how the game plays with it and give feedback. We could also look at it selectively such as only when you are shooting, etc.

Again AI needs tendencies...And some damn general awareness...

The AI has all the open space in the world in your zone, but it decides to turn into the slow and bump into you , why ? You are On a 2 v1 AI comes over and smashes you ... What a good two on one thanks AI ... You crash the net the AI crashes you, thanks teammate...

I have video where 1/3 of the offensive zone is open, including in front of the net, my ai is on crash the net, I break in on the right side, AI the left, I deke through the slot, instead of my ai crashing the net , this is Steve Sullivan, a hut hero, he decided to turn into the slot, where it's congested and right into my player to cause me to lose the puck .... Just baffling... Why is the AI so stupid ... If he kept going straight he had a clean shot at the net , turns he screws up his teammate who is on that path he is turning on to ... The AI needs to understand what is going on to some extent, this should never happen I should never get bumped by my ai for trying to find an open lane to him, and or open ice for him, especially when he has open ice, and open ice where he's been told to play ...
  • Yeah I collide with my own teammates more often than I do the other team.

Especially when im in the d zone and trying to skate out my cpu teammates make it a point to skate into me as much as possible.

Booooh!!

I commented on this in another thread where this video was also used. We don't consider incidental contact against a teammate.

The reason for this is because we don't have any avoid animations for your teammate to lift a leg or move their stick to avoid contact that would disrupt your pickup, allow you to skate through a tighter space or get a shot off.

For opponents, we know they would want to do anything they could to disrupt you so it works in those cases.

We did have a task early on to allow incidental contact with teammates as well as part of our incidental contact toggle for offline play but it was cut due to time. It may be something we can look at again in the future so that people could see how the game plays with it and give feedback. We could also look at it selectively such as only when you are shooting, etc.

I get and understand your point, bit it is in itself a good portion of the problem. There is just so much that still needs to be done and all that should have taken priority over mascots, hot dog vendors, celebrations and goal horns.

Worse than that, players can still simply glide in front of players trying to skate back to their zone simply to slow them down. There is no way to whip around a slower moving skater. Holding out your stick negates medium to slow speed checks. They simply do not register. These 2 issues have been going on for years.

I am glad you post your ideas and why certain things work the way they do (or sometimes don't) but eventually, I would expect a permanent fix. Hopefully there will be resources to fix the many issues in every single game mode for NHL 18 instead of adding, for example, a glow-in-the-dark mode for EASHL....
  • HabzSauce wrote: »
    The physics in this game dont look real many times. I see my players stick go through the back of the net as if they were holograms. Ive seen my players stick go through the boards like they were holograms.

This is somethin that doesnt really get talked about on here. This game would look a lot more realistic if this was fixed. Its as if the net, the boards, and the goal posts are holograms that sticks can go through.

man who gives a F&#! how this game looks. Who even gives a F#&! how it plays!!! What about fixing the servers so that we can actually PLAY the game??

You seem to be alone with your specific issue. You should probably figure out what's wrong on your end based on your complaints.

Booooh!!

I get and understand your point, bit it is in itself a good portion of the problem. There is just so much that still needs to be done and all that should have taken priority over mascots, hot dog vendors, celebrations and goal horns.

Worse than that, players can still simply glide in front of players trying to skate back to their zone simply to slow them down. There is no way to whip around a slower moving skater. Holding out your stick negates medium to slow speed checks. They simply do not register. These 2 issues have been going on for years.

I am glad you post your ideas and why certain things work the way they do (or sometimes don't) but eventually, I would expect a permanent fix. Hopefully there will be resources to fix the many issues in every single game mode for NHL 18 instead of adding, for example, a glow-in-the-dark mode for EASHL....

People keep harping on about hot dog vendors and mascots, you are aware that gameplay and presentation are 2 different things right? They are never not going to add or put any effort into improving presentation, nor should they. People want a game that looks good. It's an irrelevant comparison and a false equivalency you are setting up. "Gameplay would be better if they didn't add the Jersey Devil" is wrong. There are tons of AI issues, and gameplay problems that need to be fixed, and we should definitely continue to post/rant about them here but complaining about something they have done well is plain silly.
  • SepiDN
    43 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    DeejNYLV wrote: »

Booooh!!

People keep harping on about hot dog vendors and mascots, you are aware that gameplay and presentation are 2 different things right? They are never not going to add or put any effort into improving presentation, nor should they. People want a game that looks good. It's an irrelevant comparison and a false equivalency you are setting up. "Gameplay would be better if they didn't add the Jersey Devil" is wrong. There are tons of AI issues, and gameplay problems that need to be fixed, and we should definitely continue to post/rant about them here but complaining about something they have done well is plain silly.

Well this is kinda offtopic but the gameplay could at least be better if they hired a guy that does gameplay stuff instead of the guy that does the mascots, horns etc.
    If one of their issues is time and money I wouldn't spent time nor money for things like that.

Burger place doesn't hire a mascot instead of someone making the burgers. Because you know we are there for the burgers. But if everything works well and there's enough staff they might hire the mascot to further spice the place up.
  • Bmh245 wrote: »
    eric57664 wrote: »

But if you remove the circle, don't you also remove the player indicators? You need those on replays, so you can see if we're talking about user-controlled players or AI-controlled players.

I never really noticed if that happens so you may be right with that.
  • SepiDN wrote: »

Booooh!!

Well this is kinda offtopic but the gameplay could at least be better if they hired a guy that does gameplay stuff instead of the guy that does the mascots, horns etc.
    If one of their issues is time and money I wouldn't spent time nor money for things like that.

Burger place doesn't hire a mascot instead of someone making the burgers. Because you know we are there for the burgers. But if everything works well and there's enough staff they might hire the mascot to further spice the place up.

EXACTLY! The Mascots and Vendors in the stands are Fluff. Presentation looks good for now (STOP, leave it alone for now), time to focus all the time/money into fixing the CORE Gameplay. Once you get the CORE Gameplay to play close to 100% and consistently, Then and ONLY THEN do you go back and add the Fluff. But to dedicate money and staff into Fluff when you still have major CORE Gameplay Flaws, it comes off as stupid and pointless.
    I've said it before, I will GLADLY and HAPPILY take NHL08 Graphics/Presentation if it meant the CORE Gameplay played close to perfect.
    I don't give a rats 🎃🎃🎃🎃 if Ovi has yellow laces, I don't give a rats ase if Joe Schmoe AHL career scrub (up on the big club due to injury) doesn't have his face in the game, I don't give a rats 🎃🎃🎃🎃 if Iceburgh (Pens mascot) is in the stands.
    How does Ovi having yellow laces help solve the objects physically passing through other objects issue. What is the bigger issue here?
  • DeejNYLV wrote: »

Booooh!!

Just like they won't remove modes and features then bring them back and hope no one noticed that it was already in the game before ... Not the first franchise mode, not the first time you can adjust prices either I'm pretty sure ...
  • Dixonyu wrote: »

Booooh!!

Just like they won't remove modes and features then bring them back and hope no one noticed that it was already in the game before ... Not the first franchise mode, not the first time you can adjust prices either I'm pretty sure ...

Yep, wasn't it in NHL94 that they first introduced Glass Breaking (from a shot) and Broken Sticks? Then they brought those 2 features back in the most recent games
  • joefitz22 wrote: »
    Dixonyu wrote: »

Booooh!!

Yep, wasn't it in NHL94 that they first introduced Glass Breaking (from a shot) and Broken Sticks? Then they brought those 2 features back in the most recent games

Why do people want glass breaking? It's the most annoying, game delaying mechanic ever. It happens in the NHL less than once per season. I don't ever want to see glass breaking back in the game, it's nothing but a time waster that often killed good cycles/forechecks.
    joefitz22 wrote: »

Booooh!!

Why do people want glass breaking? It's the most annoying, game delaying mechanic ever. It happens in the NHL less than once per season. I don't ever want to see glass breaking back in the game, it's nothing but a time waster that often killed good cycles/forechecks.

AGREED, what gets me is that as Technology advances, you see even less and less glass Breaking in the REAL NHL. It's also just like goalie fights! When they first added that feature, you had all the kiddies trying to Goalie Fight every 10sec of every OVP game! IRL you see a Goalie Fight once in a blue moon. So basically it was a pointless addition that NO ONE asked for.

Booooh!!

Because it was realistic back in the day, with good technology now, it very rarely happens ...
  • KoryDub wrote: »
    Because it was realistic back in the day, with good technology now, it very rarely happens ...

Exactly. And just as the game is evolving away from fighting, we should see less and less development time spent in that area as well. Just my opinion, however.

I 2nd this ^^

This goes to with the Presentation / Graphics as well. They look AWESOME as is, no need to keep dumping money into this dept and trying to improve it year after year anymore, especially when there are still major flaws with the CORE Game play that needs fixed.

IF you're restoring an old classic muscle car, you're not gonna worry about a shiny new paint job (Presentation / Graphics) when the car doesn't run and has a boat load of other issues (objects passing through other objects, puck pick ups, player bubbles, etc) that need Fixed first. Aye that shiny new paint job looks pretty while sitting in the garage but the car itself is sitting on a car jack with NO engine, NO interior, NO electrical wiring, Etc Etc....so in reality, what good is that shiny new paint job?
  • KoryDub wrote: »
    KoryDub wrote: »

Exactly. And just as the game is evolving away from fighting, we should see less and less development time spent in that area as well. Just my opinion, however.

I 2nd this ^^

This goes to with the Presentation / Graphics as well. They look AWESOME as is, no need to keep dumping money into this dept and trying to improve it year after year anymore, especially when there are still major flaws with the CORE Game play that needs fixed.

IF you're restoring an old classic muscle car, you're not gonna worry about a shiny new paint job (Presentation / Graphics) when the car doesn't run and has a boat load of other issues (objects passing through other objects, puck pick ups, player bubbles, etc) that need Fixed first. Aye that shiny new paint job looks pretty while sitting in the garage but the car itself is sitting on a car jack with NO engine, NO interior, NO electrical wiring, Etc Etc....so in reality, what good is that shiny new paint job?

I disagree.

Presentation does wonders for immersion. There is a large portion of the community that plays this game offline, and presentation is a key element in allowing the user to become fully immersed in the product.

Graphical quality of the game should always be a priority. In my opinion, although the game looks great, it still needs to evolve to keep up with other titles on the consoles.

I think the issue many people have with the presentation in it's current state is that it comes across as stale. Yes, all of the camera cuts and the switch to real-time presentation in NHL 12 was a very welcome and refreshing addition. But since then, with the exception of a few new camera angles and the adoption of the NBC package, most of the veterans around here are tired of it and know exactly how the cameras cut. They've seen it thousands of times and it's no surprise that some people see it as a 'waste' of development time when they see the same scenarios play out over and over during the course of a few games.

That said - without going in to details (because I can't) - I'm super excited for presentation in the future. It's being given some great attention by great people. The concepts discussed at the last GameChanger event had me jumping for joy.

Valid argument Kory but........ when I play (be it Online or Offline), my camera angle is set to ALWAYS UP / NO ZOOM, there isn't much in terms of Presentation / Graphics that I can see or am even paying attention to, from that angle does it matter IF Ovi has yellow laces? or if Iceburgh is in section 110?

When I did play EASHL (last played '13) camera angle was Top Down / No Zoom (wasn't even paying attention to anything other than my player and my teammates, so I couldn't give a rats 🎃🎃🎃🎃 if the Beer Vendor was walking down the isle or not). Used that Camera angle to get better view of the ice and the play on it, NOT to see if Joe Schmo career AHL 4th line scrub has has real face. Doc / Eddie....skip right past them, Cut Scenes (mascots, puck outta play, etc)...skip right past them, Replays (of any kind)....skip right past them, Goal Celebrations (no 5 man Celebration, no point watching)....skip right past them
  • Gameplay is way more important than fluff, visuals, even game modes IMO ... Like be a pro, your AI teammates are so bad IMO it makes the game unenjoyable, it's like decorating a pile of poop, remove the pretty stuff and you are still left with a giant terd for a game... I