EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

image
Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Devs can you just admit it please

Replies

  • The game sets itself up for conspiracy theory with the way it plays.

    Welcome to the 21st century. This isn't blades of steel anymore.
  • eric57664 wrote: »
    There is either behind-the-scenes momentum going on or the game is programmed so inconsistently that it just feels shady. I personally think it's the latter, that the game is just so inconsistent from every aspect that it creates a ridiculous environment where people get lucky and unlucky a lot.

    I have no doubt, though, that EA wants to keep the games close. I think this whole engine since we moved to PS4/XB1 has been all about it. They won't ever admit it for obvious reasons, and we will likely never have substantial, visual evidence of it. Yet, you can feel it in their games. Even top players who barely lose also confirm they believe something is going on.

    Things in the game like you not being able to player switch for several seconds at random moments will 100% decide games because they take the controller out of your hands. Things like that have to be fixed asap in order for this game to go back to being more skill-based.

    Or when you're circling the puck but can't pick it up because it's waiting for your opponent to swoop in and grab it. Or when a guy plows through pokechecks and body checks then takes it to the house. Or when your AI just decides to start skating AWAY FROM THE PUCK CARRIER as he crosses the blue line. All these things lead to unnecessary goals against.

    I win most my games, this isn't just the rant of some guy who can't win. It feels like the engine is fighting your controller. It's frustrating and it's been getting gradually worse year after year. And that all leads me to believe it's intentionally in the series for a reason.

    It's because you're playing a physics based game (to a certain extent). The skating and the puck by themselves change how the game plays and with it's physics, it does make things unpredictable. It's not "programmed" randomness, it's NATURAL randomness. things happen based on physics. Before that game was so basic, a monkey could predict what would happen. But the game evolved into a more sophisticated style that the complainers just can't grasp it.

    It's just hilarious how all the complainers want skill to be brought back in the game, but then when ea makes things tougher, they can't handle it. Total contradiction.

    that is a stretch.

    the "bounces" dont feel natural.

    I get what EA is going for.... but it's not "natural".

    Like the rebounds off the goalies and even the boards that always seem to go to the perfect scoring spots or the opposing players sticks.

    They need to fix the puck physics so they are in fact "random" and thus feel "natural".



    Yes.
  • eric57664 wrote: »
    There is either behind-the-scenes momentum going on or the game is programmed so inconsistently that it just feels shady. I personally think it's the latter, that the game is just so inconsistent from every aspect that it creates a ridiculous environment where people get lucky and unlucky a lot.

    I have no doubt, though, that EA wants to keep the games close. I think this whole engine since we moved to PS4/XB1 has been all about it. They won't ever admit it for obvious reasons, and we will likely never have substantial, visual evidence of it. Yet, you can feel it in their games. Even top players who barely lose also confirm they believe something is going on.

    Things in the game like you not being able to player switch for several seconds at random moments will 100% decide games because they take the controller out of your hands. Things like that have to be fixed asap in order for this game to go back to being more skill-based.

    Or when you're circling the puck but can't pick it up because it's waiting for your opponent to swoop in and grab it. Or when a guy plows through pokechecks and body checks then takes it to the house. Or when your AI just decides to start skating AWAY FROM THE PUCK CARRIER as he crosses the blue line. All these things lead to unnecessary goals against.

    I win most my games, this isn't just the rant of some guy who can't win. It feels like the engine is fighting your controller. It's frustrating and it's been getting gradually worse year after year. And that all leads me to believe it's intentionally in the series for a reason.

    It's because you're playing a physics based game (to a certain extent). The skating and the puck by themselves change how the game plays and with it's physics, it does make things unpredictable. It's not "programmed" randomness, it's NATURAL randomness. things happen based on physics. Before that game was so basic, a monkey could predict what would happen. But the game evolved into a more sophisticated style that the complainers just can't grasp it.

    It's just hilarious how all the complainers want skill to be brought back in the game, but then when ea makes things tougher, they can't handle it. Total contradiction.

    that is a stretch.

    the "bounces" dont feel natural.

    I get what EA is going for.... but it's not "natural".

    Like the rebounds off the goalies and even the boards that always seem to go to the perfect scoring spots or the opposing players sticks.

    They need to fix the puck physics so they are in fact "random" and thus feel "natural".



    Go watch a game and see how OFTEN a rebound lands on a players stick. It happens more than you think.
  • Bmh245 wrote: »
    KoryDub wrote: »
    Ice Tilt does not exist.

    If this behaviour is as common as you claim, can you post some captures of a game where your players have these acceleration issues?

    Also, what difficulty are you at? Have you adjust any slider settings, and if so - can you post them?

    What do you make of the code that people uncovered this year in FIFA, which pretty clearly seems to show the game increases difficulty for the user when he dominates possession, shots, and/or goals? FIFA devs have always denied there was "grass tilt" in the game also, but that's exactly what the adaptive difficulty code seems to represent. Or do you have a different explanation?

    https://www.reddit.com/r/FIFA/comments/5kgnfi/i_found_mention_of_momentum_in_fifa_17_game_code/

    BMH, Ive had NHL shelved since October, when did they find this in FIFA? That's insane yet not surprising. Ok, I'm willing to safely say "adaptive difficulty" exists in NHL...

  • symmer1983
    127 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    They need to fix the puck physics so they are in fact "random" and thus feel "natural".


    Yes.

    You're saying the puck physics don't feel natural?

    https://gfycat.com/AridWhoppingDikdik
  • trw1987 wrote: »
    Bmh245 wrote: »
    KoryDub wrote: »
    Ice Tilt does not exist.

    If this behaviour is as common as you claim, can you post some captures of a game where your players have these acceleration issues?

    Also, what difficulty are you at? Have you adjust any slider settings, and if so - can you post them?

    What do you make of the code that people uncovered this year in FIFA, which pretty clearly seems to show the game increases difficulty for the user when he dominates possession, shots, and/or goals? FIFA devs have always denied there was "grass tilt" in the game also, but that's exactly what the adaptive difficulty code seems to represent. Or do you have a different explanation?

    https://www.reddit.com/r/FIFA/comments/5kgnfi/i_found_mention_of_momentum_in_fifa_17_game_code/

    BMH, Ive had NHL shelved since October, when did they find this in FIFA? That's insane yet not surprising. Ok, I'm willing to safely say "adaptive difficulty" exists in NHL...

    It's called "Dynamic Game Balancing". It just so happens to be in preset 3 which is what they use for online in NHL. B)
  • symmer1983 wrote: »
    They need to fix the puck physics so they are in fact "random" and thus feel "natural".


    Yes.

    You're saying the puck physics don't feel natural?

    https://gfycat.com/AridWhoppingDikdik

    That's not puck physics. That's an animation glitch with puck control. Puck physics is only active when the puck is loose. Not on your stick.
  • There is something going on in the game. Everyone believes in it except for the devs, the mods, and this guy eric who is probably a mod or a dev on an alternate account trolling people with his spare time. It's either momentum programmed into the game or the game is programmed this inconsistently. Either way, it clearly affects games.

    It's skill gap compression. It's keeps the games closer than they should be a lot of the time but skill can prevail. It's the difference from having a easy 8-1 thumping every game or 4-2 fighting uphill battle with an opponent with a 50-100 record who still doesn't understand how to win face offs. You can see the little things that get manipulated. You can see your poke range move back from the puck to assure it passes by you. You can see your players speed change when on a breakaway. You can see your player move unnecessarily to delay you long enough so the other player keeps possessions. You can beat this and this is why I think some players aren't as good as they think. A good player will bury his chances even when the game is so much harder and a uphill battle with everything going your opponents way.
  • I would have to at least think there could be some truth to this.. I can only speak for offline franchise play, but 90% of my games are 1 goal wins by me or the CPU team and many have gone into OT when either myself or the CPU team scores a weak goal late in the third period to tie the game. I have a had a couple of big wins/losses, but most of my games always play out with one team getting a 2-4 goal lead, then the other team coming back with some goals through the goalie's pads, shots where the goalie goes into the butterfly on a high shot, etc.. it just feels like no matter what you do, you know the goals and puck possession are going to swing in the trailing teams favor.
  • This thread is just full of so many typical lines from the worst people on these boards.

    First is Kory, with his incessant bootlicking and requests for video. Answer me this Sparky, what good would a video do for you there, you wouldn't have anything to compare it to, and the players accelerating slower is a feel thing. Also Captain Kory states things as fact that he cannot present a single piece of evidence for. The game undeniably has some kind of rubber banding mechanism built into it. The comments found in the FIFA code are a smoking gun. Can you present a plausible scenario for those comments where there is some kind of adaptive skill written into the game? You're a joke.

    Then there is Joey with his "adapt" nonsense. He is willing to accept an inferior product because he has few friends, and wants the devs to like him I guess. Trivializing the experiences of others and telling them "adapt", simply shows everyone your true colors slugger. That you're a boring troll, with literally nothing better to do. I pity you, but even more so, I pity those that have to be around you in daily life. What a miserable bas**rd you must be.

    Last, the puck physics are not random. In offline, the puck consistently finds it way to the CPU, no matter the situation. I have tracked loose pucks and poke checks, blocked shots, rebounds etc... over several game periods, and the % of pucks that go directly to the CPU is in no way random. It's a shame, because for offline, I would love for the challenge to be because the computer plays good hockey, as opposed to the challenge being to just overcome the bovine droppings.

    Anyway, Joey, keep trolling if it fills your empty life, and Kory, keep licking those boots and maybe one day the devs will invite you to a barbecue or whatever it is you hope to achieve with your pathetic brown nosing, and refusal to add it the issues with this game. I hope you get that merit badge son.
  • I appreciate the responses but my main point hasnt really been understood.

    There are random games in franchise mode where my players just wont accelerate and are basically unresponsive to my controller. Im not saying the game is rigged against me its just frustrating jamming on my left stick trying to get my players to skate and they just take so long to get their legs moving. I know exactly why this happens its because my team averages about 3.2-3.3 goals per game and in order to try and balance my numbers the game will make my players skate slower.

    Usually whenever this happens, ill take a loss as my goalie will let in a couple softies. But after this does happen, the next game my players skate normally again, and when im pushing the left stick forward they will actually skate.
  • NHLDev
    1663 posts EA NHL Developer
    I appreciate the responses but my main point hasnt really been understood.

    There are random games in franchise mode where my players just wont accelerate and are basically unresponsive to my controller. Im not saying the game is rigged against me its just frustrating jamming on my left stick trying to get my players to skate and they just take so long to get their legs moving. I know exactly why this happens its because my team averages about 3.2-3.3 goals per game and in order to try and balance my numbers the game will make my players skate slower.

    Usually whenever this happens, ill take a loss as my goalie will let in a couple softies. But after this does happen, the next game my players skate normally again, and when im pushing the left stick forward they will actually skate.

    I asked the Franchise mode guys if they were doing anything I wasn't aware of in regards to player fatigue in a season but they aren't.

    We definitely aren't doing anything as a game balancing mechanic. The difficulties are fixed and the only changes would be the players you are playing against and the strategy changes made by the AI team during the game and/or the individual players choices inside the game if the difficulty is the same in all of your games.

    Out of curiosity, did you manually change any gameplay sliders or are you just playing on one of the base presets?

  • I want to say the programming is just that trash and random. It appears to work well for one team and not the other , it just can't work for both teams at the same time...
  • Dixonyu wrote: »
    I want to say the programming is just that trash and random. It appears to work well for one team and not the other , it just can't work for both teams at the same time...

    Good reply. Watch how fast he replies to that.
  • Strategy changes made by the AI seem to ramp up there puck control and loose puck possession.
    Usually when I am up 3 goals or the announcers keep talking about the opponents winning streak is when the AI becomes superstars, cycling for that guaranteed slot one-timer goal and I begin fighting the controls. This is franchise mode with mostly default settings, with some slider tweaks to try to decrease penalties. AI learning at 6/6 and adjustments at 2/6.

    When the AI begins moving the puck with purpose, I find less is more. Cover the man going to the slot with a net battle tie up instead of hopelessly trying to chase them down as they move it. However, in these scenarios, there are times when the controls become unresponsive, which is the most frustrating thing.

    I can deal with well-timed checks sliding past players, skill sticks refusing to pick up the puck, and learning to cover important areas to let my AI teammates help out, BUT when the buttons stop working and no animation attempt even occurs, then I lose it. It happens, and it needs to be addressed.

    In NHL 14, there was the "Pacioretty effect" where a gravitational singularity of puck control occurs for top skilled players becoming clutch when needed, but for all the realistic improvements in NHL 17, there is clearly something going on occasionally that turns my team into a bunch of plugs, until the score is closer.
  • eric57664 wrote: »
    Dixonyu wrote: »
    I want to say the programming is just that trash and random. It appears to work well for one team and not the other , it just can't work for both teams at the same time...

    Good reply. Watch how fast he replies to that.

    Who's he? Who am I waiting for a response from ?
  • BSDShoes
    111 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    eric57664 wrote: »
    Go watch a game and see how OFTEN a rebound lands on a players stick. It happens more than you think.
    You mean when a team gets 30 shots, 26 of those shots are rebounded back to the stick? Because that's how it goes in EA NHL 17 as of now. Maybe 1% of the shots like that occurs in real hockey, I played hockey for 18 years BTW. :)
  • eric57664
    240 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Raowyn11 wrote: »
    Strategy changes made by the AI seem to ramp up there puck control and loose puck possession.
    Usually when I am up 3 goals or the announcers keep talking about the opponents winning streak is when the AI becomes superstars, cycling for that guaranteed slot one-timer goal and I begin fighting the controls. This is franchise mode with mostly default settings, with some slider tweaks to try to decrease penalties. AI learning at 6/6 and adjustments at 2/6.

    When the AI begins moving the puck with purpose, I find less is more. Cover the man going to the slot with a net battle tie up instead of hopelessly trying to chase them down as they move it. However, in these scenarios, there are times when the controls become unresponsive, which is the most frustrating thing.

    I can deal with well-timed checks sliding past players, skill sticks refusing to pick up the puck, and learning to cover important areas to let my AI teammates help out, BUT when the buttons stop working and no animation attempt even occurs, then I lose it. It happens, and it needs to be addressed.

    In NHL 14, there was the "Pacioretty effect" where a gravitational singularity of puck control occurs for top skilled players becoming clutch when needed, but for all the realistic improvements in NHL 17, there is clearly something going on occasionally that turns my team into a bunch of plugs, until the score is closer.
    BSDShoes wrote: »
    eric57664 wrote: »
    Go watch a game and see how OFTEN a rebound lands on a players stick. It happens more than you think.
    You mean when a team gets 30 shots, 26 of those shots are rebounded back to the stick? Because that's how it goes in EA NHL 17 as of now. Maybe 1% of the shots like that occurs in real hockey, I played hockey for 18 years BTW. :)

    Ok. Go make a video of taking 30 shots or your oppeonet getting 30 shots. Then let's see that 26 go to a stick. How much you wanna bet you don't bring that video? You know why? Cuz it not true.

    And how do you think ea see that? They just laugh it off and the game goes nowhere (for you) because all you do is lie about things.

    Good job. You just made yourself irrelevant to ea.

    Btw, you "PLAYED" hockey for 18 years. Now you're playing video game hockey. So..........
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!