EA Forums - Banner

EASHL Connection Questions

Replies

• I thought of another question regarding connections. I've heard that this game doesn't like when you have upnp. Is that true?

Any word on getting some of these answered?
  • They can't fix menu lag, I doubt they can fix connection/lag issues.
  • NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    I thought of another question regarding connections. I've heard that this game doesn't like when you have upnp. Is that true?

Was trying to see if one of the online guys could jump in and chat with you guys. If not, I will try and get some updates myself this week. I can answer a few things but would rather you talk closer to the source so nothing is lost in translation.
  • That would be fantastic, thanks Ben.
  • PS4 - Been getting a lot more Blue Screen crashouts before the start of EASHL games. Yesterday had 5 games crash out before the start (Blue screen was on my end once).
    EASHL player
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    I thought of another question regarding connections. I've heard that this game doesn't like when you have upnp. Is that true?

Was trying to see if one of the online guys could jump in and chat with you guys. If not, I will try and get some updates myself this week. I can answer a few things but would rather you talk closer to the source so nothing is lost in translation.

Much of my issues have been relayed through Seth's post; however, I do have more technical ones. Very curious to hear back from your online guys, about everything.

@sethamphetamines If they PM you with any response, can you please either update your OP or post the info? Just in case they don't post in this thread...

• Sooo, no answers from the online folks.... are they still mulling over their answers or are they declining to answer at all?
  • hot-rivit
    91 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    Sooo, no answers from the online folks.... are they still mulling over their answers or are they declining to answer at all?

From the six years, that I've been a member of this forum; they'll either wait till this thread gets buried or ask more questions than answers, and pretend like this is news to them.

• jmwalsh8888
    1184 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    This franchise has been the worst online game as far as stability, lag, etc, that I've ever seen. I've literally played this game online since you were able to as well as 100s of other "online" games. Very few games were this bad online and none of them went on with those issues for over a decade.

i just don't get it why they can't solve this one lingering 15 year old problem. In fact in many ways nhl 16 was the worst experience to date. Release day NHL 17 was a huge step forward but as the game got older and updated it seemed to get worse and worse.

And I've played on various platforms on various ISPs, from the very first days of residential DSL (like 256Kbps ) to 10Gbps commercial fiber. The overall experience has never changed.

And through it all I've never seen any real effort by EA to even acknowledge it's an issue and something they are working to fix.
  • NHLDev
    edited January 2017
    hot-rivit wrote: »
    Sooo, no answers from the online folks.... are they still mulling over their answers or are they declining to answer at all?

From the six years, that I've been a member of this forum; they'll either wait till this thread gets buried or ask more questions than answers, and pretend like this is news to them.

The online team just released a new game mode (which for obvious reasons I couldn't allude to last week). They have been focussed on that release but in the meantime, different members have been answering a few more questions than what I had so far last week. I am sitting down with a producer from the online team today to collate some answers as I said I would. I am still not sure if he will post and have the chance to talk back and forth with you or if I will be posting them.

I realize it isn't moving fast enough for many of you but at the same time, the answers probably still aren't going to fix problems. They will shed light on how things work and in some cases, we may be able to provide more info of what is being looked at but if it is anything like the gameplay threads I am in, some people are happy to know there is attention on it and get insight from the answers and others won't be happy until their personal game is playing better at all times which is pretty difficult for any online game to claim is solved.

I will update you as soon as I can.
  • This franchise has been the worst online game as far as stability, lag, etc, that I've ever seen.

Wholeheartedly agree.

• NHLDev
    edited January 2017
    This franchise has been the worst online game as far as stability, lag, etc, that I've ever seen.

Wholeheartedly agree.

Out of curiosity, are you guys comparing to other sports games or are you comparing to shooters where things aren't always truly in sync?

When talking to our online team, it is good to give them an idea of what people are comparing to as they understand the different tech and how things are done and what the pros and cons of each are.
    This franchise has been the worst online game as far as stability, lag, etc, that I've ever seen.

Wholeheartedly agree.

Out of curiosity, are you guys comparing to other sports games or are you comparing to shooters where things aren't always truly in sync?

When talking to our online team, it is good to give them an idea of what people are comparing to as they understand the different tech and how things are done and what the pros and cons of each are.

Iv'e been down this road here multiple times, explaining that there is no comparing this game to a FPS or a rocket car game or whatever else.

Wholeheartedly agree.

What? Maybe its becuase I just woke up about half an hour ago and still groggy (very late night last night )

All I know is bro is that I can have patience and empathy for certain areas where this game lacks , but when it comes to these networking issues. I'm sorry but I can't help but be baffled.

Baffled how I have gone through painstaking measures to ensure a good online experience and still have problems.

Baffled why I am from southern cali and get put on an East Coast server on a nightly basis.

I'm not telling you anything new. Anyway , you're not the guy that I should be directing my ire towards.

If the online networking team can't get this stuff figured out, it would be nice to let me save $60 plus dollars next year instead of having two years in a row with a "hope and pray" my game is smooth.

• hot-rivit
    91 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    NHLDev wrote: »

The online team just released a new game mode (which for obvious reasons I couldn't allude to last week). They have been focussed on that release but in the meantime, different members have been answering a few more questions than what I had so far last week. I am sitting down with a producer from the online team today to collate some answers as I said I would. I am still not sure if he will post and have the chance to talk back and forth with you or if I will be posting them.

I realize it isn't moving fast enough for many of you but at the same time, the answers probably still aren't going to fix problems. They will shed light on how things work and in some cases, we may be able to provide more info of what is being looked at but if it is anything like the gameplay threads I am in, some people are happy to know there is attention on it and get insight from the answers and others won't be happy until their personal game is playing better at all times which is pretty difficult for any online game to claim is solved.

Understandably, I doubt anyone here believes that you and your team are not busy. Updates, like these, clearly show the initiative to be respectful and responsive to the community and is very much appreciated.

For the most part, I agree that there are divided resolutions for these types of issues. With that said, my only suggestion would be that for this particular thread and discussion, it's important to be specific/technical and assume that there are those who already understand the basic networking issues and troubleshoot; so in short, the more information - the better.

Also, I don't think there are many who compare the network issues from this franchise to any other sports game or FPS. I believe, personally, that there are many who compare their past experiences with this franchise. To put in perspective and thinking about it now, I began playing this series back in '09. If you were to add up the games that I've played per yearly release (which in my case would probably total to between 600-750 games of EASHL/VS/HUT per year) that would come close to 5-6K games. I usually can instantly tell whether or not a particular match is going to be plagued with issues (whether network-related or not) throughout the session, just by looking at the normal mechanics, animations. and general gameplay that occurs. I'm sure I'm not the only one who can relate.

• megadeth_600
    1437 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    NHLDev wrote: »

Have you spoken/verified with the online producer about the game's coding? I mean, is the coding optimized for online play? Are there any changes needed in the coding to help with the online experience?

I know with the amount of ISP's and routers available it makes things harder to find a fix. That being said, pretty much any other online game plays very smooth for a vast majority of people. That is why I am wondering if maybe the game's coding needs to be verified/revised with the online team. Also find it weird that West Coasters get routinely connected to the East Coast and even Europeans are having issues as well. Makes me think it would align more with coding than server quality/quantity.
  • NHLDev
    Sounds like you guys are mostly only interested if you can speak directly to the online team. I had a discussion with them today and the online producer will get an account setup so that he can respond to this thread. Not sure when he will get the opportunity to do that or if it will wait til Monday but just another update for you.