EA Forums - Banner

where is the patch

Replies

• Patch is live on PS4
  • Assisted_6 wrote: »
    safe_image.php?d=AQAozX6jWq0L_8tZ&w=343&h=394&url=https%3A%2F%2Fscontent.cdninstagram.com%2Ft51.2885-15%2Fe35%2F15803613_150011835494812_7365809556191969280_n.jpg%3Fig_cache_key%3DMTQyOTQ1MTQ4NjcxMDc2MDkwMw%253D%253D.2&_nc_hash=AQChTLor6OhG85se

"Giving Filip Forsberg, Viktor Arvidsson and Mattias Ekholm of the @predsnhl a little sneak peak…"

I heard Forsberg right after this contacted his lawyer to have his likeness opt to be out of 18 because he was so embarrassed and disappointed with the first looks

Rammer looks like he's just doing his hardest to convince them how good the game is. Nobody is buying

Haha! They do look unimpressed.

NHL should put in the CBA that all players must do a mandatory face scan when going out west.
  • they can fix anything they want to with a patch. just whether or not they want to. i've been playing online games a long time. i've seen "patches" that are essentially a new game. I'm talking 4-5GB games that get a 4 GB patch and afterwards the game is almost unrecognizable.

but yes in general EA does very very little actual patching and leans on "tweaking tuners" with their updates. And this rarely does anything to fix any of the problems with the game. Which is why this series is notorious for going year after year with the same **** problems.
  • they can fix anything they want to with a patch. just whether or not they want to. i've been playing online games a long time. i've seen "patches" that are essentially a new game. I'm talking 4-5GB games that get a 4 GB patch and afterwards the game is almost unrecognizable.

but yes in general EA does very very little actual patching and leans on "tweaking tuners" with their updates. And this rarely does anything to fix any of the problems with the game. Which is why this series is notorious for going year after year with the same **** problems.

Here is something else to think about though. Is it really worth it trying to patch up stuff if they are moving over to the Frostbite engine that EA says all their games will be running. My guess is they do minimal work on this build and are working on the Frostbite engine game cause we saw how 15 went with the last engine change lol.
  • Follisimo wrote: »
    they can fix anything they want to with a patch. just whether or not they want to. i've been playing online games a long time. i've seen "patches" that are essentially a new game. I'm talking 4-5GB games that get a 4 GB patch and afterwards the game is almost unrecognizable.

Here is something else to think about though. Is it really worth it trying to patch up stuff if they are moving over to the Frostbite engine that EA says all their games will be running. My guess is they do minimal work on this build and are working on the Frostbite engine game cause we saw how 15 went with the last engine change lol.

I can guarantee you that the game won't be worse on Frostbite, I just wonder how much better it will be. There is optimism though since there is not a Frostbite game that I have played that I thought was a bad game. So I am optimistic.
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2514 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    You could have the best engine in the world but it depends how the Devs use it. Personally I have FIFA 15 and FIFA 17 w/Frostbite and I honestly don't see that huge a difference. The AI still makes bone head plays and such. Im by no means a techy guy but I really don't See how Frostbite is going to make sports titles that much better. If I don't see a huge difference in a game with a team the size of fifa, how much better is NHL going to be, seriously?
  • You could have the best engine in the world but it depends how the Devs use it. Personally I have FIFA 15 and FIFA 17 w/Frostbite and I honestly don't see that huge a difference. The AI still makes bone head plays and such. Imy by no means a techy guy but I really don't See how Frostbite is going to make sports titles that much better. If I don't see a huge difference between a team the size of fifa, how much better is NHL going to bend, seriously?

We'll see, I hope it helps the NHL series better. Like it said it won't be worse, they aren't moving to a new console until with NHL 15. But it remains to be seen how the engine helps the game improve over time. Visually the game will probably improve some, but if that is it, it will not be enough.
  • though i am dissapointed with potentially the last patch for this title i will find it totally acceptable IMO if a dev or a EA NHL guy or gal can confirm that the team is busy on NHL 18 and the implementation of the frostbite engine. LIke i said in past post...this is the best the game has been in a long time...ive re played NHL 09 NHL 10 NHL 11 NHL 14 and legacy and 2k titles...and seriously this game is the best its been but if you are telling me that this is it for patches because of frosbite and NHL 18 then i am fine with it but would like some communication to know whats going on with this game.
  • IceLion68
    1624 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    You could have the best engine in the world but it depends how the Devs use it. Personally I have FIFA 15 and FIFA 17 w/Frostbite and I honestly don't see that huge a difference. The AI still makes bone head plays and such. Im by no means a techy guy but I really don't See how Frostbite is going to make sports titles that much better. If I don't see a huge difference in a game with a team the size of fifa, how much better is NHL going to be, seriously?

Well the upshot of this is that there is the possibility - I daresay on the first version *probability* - that they will be/are getting Frostbite resources loaned from other teams to get them up and running quicker.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • So it looks like they fixed some of the Alpha issues in the game and made us a (more) playable beta, but when is the finished version of '17 being released? A version where puck physics make sense, the skating feels more responsive, the game doesn't crash 1 out of every 10 (or so) online games, etc...or is EA happy with the current state and this is it?
  • There's no denying 17 looks a lot better than 15 but I attributed that to 2 years worth of visual improvements more than the engine. I'm sure there are little things that a Hardcore FIFA player feels from 16->17 w/Frostbite but as a casual soccer fan I didn't notice a huge change in game play.

I'm not trying to come off as salty. I'm all for giving the Devs more tools. The easier it is for the Devs to improve their product, the better it is for everyone. I just don't want to come to the forums next year and everyone is ****'ing on the Devs because they have more power but didn't make drastic changes in the first year w/ Frostbite.
  • No new goalie pads added :(

Those will come with the roster update which should go live sometime today. Once you download the rosters, apply them as default and you should see the new goalie pads. Also the changes to the goalie classes as mentioned in the patch note pertaining to Height will get updated as well.
  • There's no denying 17 looks a lot better than 15 but I attributed that to 2 years worth of visual improvements more than the engine. I'm sure there are little things that a Hardcore FIFA player feels from 16->17 w/Frostbite but as a casual soccer fan I didn't notice a huge change in game play.

I'm not trying to come off as salty. I'm all for giving the Devs more tools. The easier it is for the Devs to improve their product, the better it is for everyone. I just don't want to come to the forums next year and everyone is ****'ing on the Devs because they have more power but didn't make drastic changes in the first year w/ Frostbite.

I think the time NHL is where it should be, could also be the time for the next new round of consoles to come out with the manufactorers seemingly interested in releasing new consoles sooner. You can thank the PC market for this too because that is changing a lot over the last few years. I don't see PS4 or Xbox One being around past say 2019, which in a way might be a good thing. We'll see.
  • KoryDub wrote: »
    Follisimo wrote: »
    they can fix anything they want to with a patch. just whether or not they want to. i've been playing online games a long time. i've seen "patches" that are essentially a new game. I'm talking 4-5GB games that get a 4 GB patch and afterwards the game is almost unrecognizable.

I can guarantee you that the game won't be worse on Frostbite, I just wonder how much better it will be. There is optimism though since there is not a Frostbite game that I have played that I thought was a bad game. So I am optimistic.

Here is a small Q&A with FIFA in regards to Frostbite:
    https://www.easports.com/fifa/news/2016/fifa-17-frostbite

You may not see a huge difference, especially with it being the first sports title on Frostbite, but it sounds like the move to that engine allowed more collaboration and the ability to do things that couldn't be done by the previous engine - such as the Journey mode.

Not to repeat myself, I am okay with there not being a huge difference, but I would like a noticable difference. Especially with the goalies, they need to be smarter and positioned better. I am not expecting the EA NHL team to make a brand new game off of that engine, but if the game can get better physics and better goaltending, the game would be incredible in my opinion.

On a game modes side of things I do wonder what the Frostbite engine can accomplish, since I am not a soccer fan I don't know what Frostbite has done to help improve it's career or GM mode. Can someone shed light on this?
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    No new goalie pads added :(

Those will come with the roster update which should go live sometime today. Once you download the rosters, apply them as default and you should see the new goalie pads. Also the changes to the goalie classes as mentioned in the patch note pertaining to Height will get updated as well.

There is no new goalie equipment as far as I'm aware.The Vaughn Ventus SLR and Vaughn Pro V elite have been out for months and some NHL goalies are wearing them (Murray and Howard have worn the Ventus pads since game 1)
  • Well there is your patch. I play this game solely for EASHL 6v6 and I have opened the game maybe 2 or 3 times since Thanksgiving so maybe I am missing something but I would like to know why they took down the shot and pass accuracy on the grinder. Was this absolutely needed compared to all the other things that needed to be fixed. I swear every patch that has been released this year has just made the game worse.

The online physics in this game needs tuning or needs to be scrapped completely. Whether that's a new engine completely (frostbite) or tweaking the physics. One of the worst parts about this game is its inconsistency and the broken plays off of how bad the physics react online, which In my honest opinion is one of the main reasons you see more and more of the random shot from anywhere strategy than people actually setting up plays. I just hope that the dev team has spent this year wisely and focused mainly on Gameplay, mostly online in the form of netcode or improved physics or whatever. The state of this game online is: NHL 17 has become the beginning of the end for the eashl community. I have said this before, if it wasn't for organized leagues eashl would be a ghost town.
  • BoboFloggins
    2170 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Well there is your patch. I play this game solely for EASHL 6v6 and I have opened the game maybe 2 or 3 times since Thanksgiving so maybe I am missing something but I would like to know why they took down the shot and pass accuracy on the grinder. Was this absolutely needed compared to all the other things that needed to be fixed. I swear every patch that has been released this year has just made the game worse.

The online physics in this game needs tuning or needs to be scrapped completely. Whether that's a new engine completely (frostbite) or tweaking the physics. One of the worst parts about this game is its inconsistency and the broken plays off of how bad the physics react online, which In my honest opinion is one of the main reasons you see more and more of the random shot from anywhere strategy than people actually setting up plays. I just hope that the dev team has spent this year wisely and focused mainly on Gameplay, mostly online in the form of netcode or improved physics or whatever. The state of this game online is: NHL 17 has become the beginning of the end for the eashl community. I have said this before, if it wasn't for organized leagues eashl would be a ghost town.

1st bolded part - well, that's all people we have been playing are using... grinders and PFs so yeah, there is a reason for people overwhelmingly using that build.

2nd bolded part - well, that's what happens when you strip a beloved game mode down and cater to a small group of e-athletes demanding parity to a point of vanilla ice cream.
  • Well there is your patch. I play this game solely for EASHL 6v6 and I have opened the game maybe 2 or 3 times since Thanksgiving so maybe I am missing something but I would like to know why they took down the shot and pass accuracy on the grinder. Was this absolutely needed compared to all the other things that needed to be fixed. I swear every patch that has been released this year has just made the game worse.

1st bolded part - well, that's all people we have been playing are using... grinders and PFs so yeah, there is a reason for people overwhelmingly using that build.

2nd bolded part - well, that's what happens when you strip a beloved game mode down and cater to a small group of e-athletes demanding parity to a point of vanilla ice cream.

The funny thing is that taking away attribute customization and putting in these cookie-cutter builds hasn't done anything but make the EASHL game mode boring. As for bringing in more parity, bad players are still horrible, and good players are still killing it... all without attribute boosts.

The only thing that this has done is made organized leagues (like LG) a bit more manageable. But outside of that, playing EASHL in anything but a good club is pointless.
  • BoboFloggins
    2170 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Well there is your patch. I play this game solely for EASHL 6v6 and I have opened the game maybe 2 or 3 times since Thanksgiving so maybe I am missing something but I would like to know why they took down the shot and pass accuracy on the grinder. Was this absolutely needed compared to all the other things that needed to be fixed. I swear every patch that has been released this year has just made the game worse.

The funny thing is that taking away attribute customization and putting in these cookie-cutter builds hasn't done anything but make the EASHL game mode boring. As for bringing in more parity, bad players are still horrible, and good players are still killing it... all without attribute boosts.

The only thing that this has done is made organized leagues (like LG) a bit more manageable. But outside of that, playing EASHL in anything but a good club is pointless.

For the life of me, I cannot understand how others don't see EXACTLY what you just said.