EA Forums - Banner

Need some tips please

I'm having a terrible time online. I'm sure that's not totally out of the norm but there are some things happening that I think could be avoided if I knew how to do a few things and what others are doing.

First off, I can't seem to do one-timers. The last game I played I lost by 3 and had at least three chances with a pass across the front of the goal to a wide open man and rather than just banging it home he takes possession of the puck and I have to make a deliberate shot. It's enough time that the goalie gets back and it doesn't have a chance.

Next, how is it that some people can bull through three of my defenders while on his way to the net? I can't seem to check, poke check, stick lift...nothing. The dude walks into the zone with three guys draped on him and scores. Is this a known glitch or is there something I can do to avoid this?

Passing seems absolutely stupid at times. I had a winger on a 2 on 1 wide open and rather than passing it to him it passed several feet behind him all the way to the boards. I had the defender and goalie beat for a day on this play and the pass just goes off into nowhere...This has happened on a lot of occassions though, this being the most frustrating. Seems to happen a lot when I try to drop a pass back to the point.

The last thing that I really am having a hard time with is that I'll break up a play with a poke check or a hit and my guys will just stand there looking at the lose puck while the other team goes after it. It'll happen multiple times on the same drive. I poke it, they get it back, I do it again, they get it back, etc...Why are my dudes just standing there???? GO GET THE PUCK!!!!

Anyhow, I'm also having trouble finding an active message board with people who are willing to offer up a pointer or two. So, if this isn't a good spot, maybe you know of a better one?

Well, thanks for reading and hopefully responding. I've always loved the NHL franchise but I'm just not very good at it I guess...frustrating.

Replies

• sounds normal to me.are you wired?as for one timers...what controls do u use?never had a problem with one timers...thanks to puzzle and EASHL practise mode.

strategies help if you know what to set them at...but good players can beat anything.id try high pressure for your defense and back check yourself.
    THE...Detriot Frenzy Alumni
  • flavaham
    13 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    No man, there's nothing normal about a hockey player breaking up a play and either staring at the puck or actually skating away from it! My question then becomes, is there a strategy that makes my skaters drop into D automatically on a lose puck? I don't want that if so! haha.

Also, I just got shelled. I can't even get a shot off in the offensive zone...I know that games take practice but at this point I don't know what to practice! I don't know what I'm doing wrong except that everyone I play just seems to be glued to the puck...and practicing against AI hasn't netted any results for me. It sux because I love hockey but this game just makes me mad...
  • A few tips. For one-timers, hold L2 or LT and up on right stick. If in VS, then just pass and then up on the right stick. If you don't play hockey you won't understand too much about what one-timers are better to take. Essentially if the puck is traveling across the body it's much harder to actually one-time unless it's in front of the player and on the tape.

As for defense, always position your defensemen on the forehand. Allow a player to go backhand but make sure he can't bring it back to forehand because that's where good shots are taken. If they're rushing at you, slow your defenseman down slowly and let the play come to you near the blue line and then wait to time a poke, or at least force him to the boards by playing angles correctly.
  • Have the same issues a lot of times with the one-timers not connecting and the passing go way behind the intended target. It seems like it's a connection issue but I can't be sure. Frustrating though. Especially the passing this year, it's completely [email protected]'d up sometimes
  • EVerk81 wrote: »
    Have the same issues a lot of times with the one-timers not connecting and the passing go way behind the intended target. It seems like it's a connection issue but I can't be sure. Frustrating though. Especially the passing this year, it's completely [email protected]'d up sometimes

Which mode are you playing?
  • EVerk81 wrote: »
    Have the same issues a lot of times with the one-timers not connecting and the passing go way behind the intended target. It seems like it's a connection issue but I can't be sure. Frustrating though. Especially the passing this year, it's completely [email protected]'d up sometimes

Which mode are you playing?

Any of the online modes...mostly EASHL though.
  • This is ridiculous. Look, I'm not great but this is just not even right. I just played a game where I got 9 total shots, most of which were just desperation hoping for a rebound or something because this guy was just all over the puck. I couldn't get a pass or a shot off he entire game. There is no team or player that has ever existed that could do this. It's just unreasonable that someone could not even get a shot off. Ever. ****??? Someone on here has to know a little bit about what players like this are doing. PLEASE just throw me a bone here. I really want to play this game but that's not fun for anyone! I don't have to win every game but one out of ten would be nice!
  • Ugh...next game I played better. I was actually controlling some of the play. Then, out of no where it was as if my guys were handcuffed and couldn't move. Dude throws up 4 goals in 3 minutes. I lose 7-3 and he has 7 goals on 20 shots!! Really??? This game is so cheap sometimes. It totally feels like it does everything it can to totally screw you over....
  • flavaham wrote: »
    Ugh...next game I played better. I was actually controlling some of the play. Then, out of no where it was as if my guys were handcuffed and couldn't move. Dude throws up 4 goals in 3 minutes. I lose 7-3 and he has 7 goals on 20 shots!! Really??? This game is so cheap sometimes. It totally feels like it does everything it can to totally **** over....

Have you just joined the franchise recently or what? If you're on PS4 I'd be glad to play you in a friendly and give you some pointers. My PSN is DSANT21. If you're not on PS4 then I'm sure someone on Xbox who frequents these forums would be willing to help you out.

Real quick: (this is assuming you're playing 1v1 modes like Online Versus)

One timers:
    To execute a one timer you first have to pass the puck to an open man on your team who is at least somewhat opened up to the play (meaning his body is somewhat facing you). Then, while the pass is en route, you want to hold the RS straight up and aim with your left stick - all WHILE the puck is in transit.

Passing:
    In this is case it's just a matter of you needing to be much more accurate with your sticks than you think you are. They made us more accountable for where the puck ends up when passing this year. This is a good thing. It allows us to have greater creativity and weeds out the good passers from the bad ones.

Defending:
    As far as guys bullying their way through your team.. this one is kinda hard to address on the forum, but I'll try. Basically, you want to always keep the guy you're controlling in front of the puck carrier when your opponent is rushing into your zone. Also, you want to make sure you maintain a proper gap. The proper gap you need to maintain is all dependent on the opposing player's speed but generally, you don't want have more than a stick's length between your guy and the puck carrier. This allows you to poke check if he exposes the puck, inch in for a stick lift, or take the body. *oddly enough* Sometimes the best thing you can do is maintain that tight gap and just let the opposing forward just skate right into you. Most of the time he'll lose the puck.

And lastly I'll address your frustration with your AI teammates not chasingredients after the puck afteryou make a good defensive player to knock it loose. Hate to break it to you, but, that's just the not so great AI logic we have at this point in time. Most times, the AI will at least try to recover loose pucks but really, you should be taking control of the guy closest to that loose puck and grabeing it yourself.

Again.. if you're on PS4 add me up and I'll help you out. DSANT21
  • Thanks man. I'm on Xbone though...

Part of the problem with that last tip about getting the closest guy is that, most of the time I have a different player in mind to switch to. That's part of the frustration here. I think I should be taking care of the guy on this side of the puck so I hit the switch player button and go for the puck. They give me a guy on the other side of the puck and therefor, he goes the other way and is now out of position. That is, if he moves at all and isn't standing at the blue line drooling and staring off into space like an idiot! Is there a way to switch to specific players?

I appreciate the pointers. I know that some of this amounts to needing to practice but some of this is just the way the game plays. I need to know how to counter some of it. I don't feel like I'm terrible at this game. I've had a few contests that were pretty close and literally one little thing seems to happen that goes their way. Never mine.

Still though, how can I do a better job of protecting the puck? I couldn't even pass last night never mind get a shot off!!