EA Forums - Banner

Connection tampering is out of hand.

2Next

Replies

• Is someone able to do this in a EASHL club or drop in game?

Absolutely. It hasn't been as frequent as it was in the old gen, but I've seen maybe 3-4 weird disconnects occur that turned into losses for my team
  • Pycnotic wrote: »
    I had someone lagging the game every time I was about to enter the zone. After we yelled at eachother for a bit and ended up laughing at something I said to him, he proceeded to tell me he used Speedtest.net on his phone using WIFI to lag games. Now that I know this, I've certainly ran into a situation like this multiple times. Some people are just poor sports. What could EA possibly do to prevent this? Nothing.

It's 2017 they can implement a minimum internet speed / specs requirement, you drop below auto disconnect and loss, it will at least help. I'm sorry if some people who have **** internet get affected but if your network can't handle it you shouldn't be playing online anyway

Straight up!!! It would at least set a precedence to let people know that you better have adequate internet if you want to compete in this game. I'm sure the speeds needed to be adequate really aren't that high either.

Some games you can look at the network graph and see there are certain times where it just shoots up in the red for 10-20 seconds and then magically levels off at 50 or whatever. It's a bit odd to just chalk it up to chance and not tampering when this happens. This is where the person responsible for such a change should be the one to disconnect and take the loss.

You will have legitimate cases where it really is something in the internet causing it, but probably a MUCH LOWER percentage than people actually tampering. Do it EA.
  • KoryDub wrote: »
    Or perhaps something that doesn't allow people to play online if their connection doesn't meet a certain minimum standard.

This is fair, but much of the 'connection tampering' is done in-game, and it would be easy to circumvent a quality assurance check, so to speak.

Fair enough.

It's pathetic what some people will do to give themselves an advantage to potentially win a game online. :smirk:

They legit do it so they can say they are one of "the best"...basically the equivalent of a 4 year old running to mommy with a sheet of paper full of smeared crayon markings, and having her put it on the fridge. More than likely they screen cap the leaderboard, print it off, and stick it on the ceiling of their room in mom's basement so they can stare at it as they fall asleep at night.

Or perhaps something that doesn't allow people to play online if their connection doesn't meet a certain minimum standard.

This is fair, but much of the 'connection tampering' is done in-game, and it would be easy to circumvent a quality assurance check, so to speak.

That's why I proposed the minute it drops below that spec auto disconnect and loss for that player
    KoryDub wrote: »

That's why I proposed the minute it drops below that spec auto disconnect and loss for that player

yeah, tighten the thresholds.

But if it is P2P, a central server that tallies wins/losses and so on would have to be able to identify which party was responsible for the network related loss. Console perhaps could identify.

But anyways, this is one of the 4.6 billion reasons I could care less about hitting that top of the video game e-athlete leaderboards.

yeah, tighten the thresholds.

But if it is P2P, a central server that tallies wins/losses and so on would have to be able to identify which party was responsible for the network related loss. Console perhaps could identify.

But anyways, this is one of the 4.6 billion reasons I could care less about hitting that top of the video game e-athlete leaderboards.

Amen.
    I couldn't care less about being near the top. You're gonna win as much as you lose anyways, it all balances out eventually if you play legit games
  • Thought these games run on dedicated servers so how can someone with poor internet or someone using speed test.net, downloading how can that effect me
  • Thought these games run on dedicated servers so how can someone with poor internet or someone using speed test.net, downloading how can that effect me

Vs. and hut reportedly are peer to peer, boss.

The kicker here is that even though it may be peer-to-peer in some game modes you still must maintain a constant connection to EA servers to play this game online. Now if EA wanted to they could use that constant connection to their advantage here and monitor both sides for drastic changes to one side and deal with it accordingly, one would think right?

It just feels like the framework is already in place right now and the only thing they need to do is program to it. Of course, you can see over the years how much they have put into that problem.

In all fairness, they did finally give us a network monitor of sorts.
  • h8ttrick
    1661 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    He is right you do need a constant connection to the EA servers for them to track records stats of players etc... So they could kick you from their servers if you are screwing with the connection. Also I feel like some of this is illegal in some form. Messing with other people's internet connections is hacking is it not?

Please correct me if I am wrong here. I have no problem being wrong haha
  • h8ttrick wrote: »
    He is right you do need a constant connection to the EA servers for them to track records stats of players etc... So they could kick you from their servers if you are screwing with the connection. Also I feel like some of this is illegal in some form. Messing with other people's internet connections is hacking is it not?

Please correct me if I am wrong here. I have no problem being wrong haha

It isn't hacking.....

Players purposely slow down their connections and the downfall is it gives the opponent a horrible experience.

The struggle may be, how do you discern between a legit connection issue and someone purposely tampering? The two are indistinguishable when looking at packets.

I don't think there really needs to be any attempt to distinguish between the two. If your internet connection is so poor that it causes the game to lag for your opponent you should get booted and take a loss. It's not like the requirements are all that high. If your connection can't manage the fairly low requirements for online play maybe you shouldn't be playing online.

Over the last year the PvP modes ( HUT/Vs ) have rapidly become unplayable. Take the lead? Get a PP? Oh, look suddenly the game becomes a slideshow. What a coincidence.....

Taking a hard-line stance is pretty much the only way to fix the situation. Yes, it would mean that most everybody would get an occasional loss due to things outside their control ( everyone's connection takes a dump at some point ), but it should be rare.

• smithjg2 wrote: »

The struggle may be, how do you discern between a legit connection issue and someone purposely tampering? The two are indistinguishable when looking at packets.

I don't think there really needs to be any attempt to distinguish between the two. If your internet connection is so poor that it causes the game to lag for your opponent you should get booted and take a loss. It's not like the requirements are all that high. If your connection can't manage the fairly low requirements for online play maybe you shouldn't be playing online.

Over the last year the PvP modes ( HUT/Vs ) have rapidly become unplayable. Take the lead? Get a PP? Oh, look suddenly the game becomes a slideshow. What a coincidence.....

Taking a hard-line stance is pretty much the only way to fix the situation. Yes, it would mean that most everybody would get an occasional loss due to things outside their control ( everyone's connection takes a dump at some point ), but it should be rare.

This is spot on!! Here is why there doesn't need to be a way to distinguish whether it's tampering or just bad internet. If you have unstable, unreliable, or just weak internet you shouldn't be allowed to participate online...period!! Get some solid internet (not that hard really) and then come play. If you are tampering then you should be booted without question and don't deserve to play in the first place as that's a form of cheating.

Whether it's intentional or not doesn't really matter. Either way it's your opponent's crappy connection causing the problems. So in short-form, get better internet and stop cheating and let's play some hockey!!