EA Forums - Banner

Case study: how to alienate customers.

Prev1
Hello All,

I am writing to discuss the imbalances caused by the Mike Richards Christmas pack, and the frustration this has caused. The idea of this pack and its execution can best be described as “Case study 101: how to alienate and lose customers”

I personally was on vacation, out of the country, and spending time with family causing me to miss the “gift of giving promotion”. As a result my team has suddenly been greatly outmatched and sometimes dominated. Mike Richards (a noted hard partier, and borderline nhler) is now the top player on people’s team and is somehow far better than anyone I have, possibly even better then Sydney Crosby. Accompanying this are 7 other players of high rank that are nearly impossible to obtain outside of this free pack only given to some players.

As a result someone who played the game for only 1 day over xmas could have a far superior team to someone who has spent money and played the game for months. Further, most teams in the upper levels all have the same player as the #1 center………How could this possibly pass as a reasonable idea?

-dismayed customer, owner of nhl series since ’99

PS. Why would you not give a rotation of three+ players to keep some variety (ie, historical figures of the game, or top rookies, or top current players)? …. This issue has caused my brother to quit this game, and I will be following suit.

Solutions could be: give people a second chance at the promotion, simply give all players the pack, not allow matching of teams with Mike Richards and without, or….this should have never happened in the first place and I should not being providing “solutions’.

Replies

• In before thread gets closed
  • Sorry snowflake but the world doesn't revolve around you and your vacations. Suck it up and move on.
  • flyextacy wrote: »
    Sorry snowflake but the world doesn't revolve around you and your vacations. Suck it up and move on.

Were you scheduled to speak at Berkley last night?
    Sorry snowflake but the world doesn't revolve around you and your vacations. Suck it up and move on.

I think he's more so pointing out that one certain pack can unbalance the entire mode in favor of the people who just happened to be on at the time rather than the fact that he just couldn't get it himself.
  • I wonder if OP would have composed this post if he had gotten the Richards Christmas pack...he is whining because he missed out, not because it has any effect on the outcome of any game.
  • Lynch-CAN wrote: »
    flyextacy wrote: »

I think he's more so pointing out that one certain pack can unbalance the entire mode in favor of the people who just happened to be on at the time rather than the fact that he just couldn't get it himself.

Doesn't unbalance the mode, high rater players doesn't translate into wins.
  • O
    M
    F
    G
  • Stfx96 wrote: »
    I wonder if OP would have composed this post if he had gotten the Richards Christmas pack...he is whining because he missed out, not because it has any effect on the outcome of any game.

+1

THE...Detriot Frenzy Alumni
  • I could careless that i missed out... just dont give over the top star players. And dont make the best player in the game Mike Richards.. dude is hardly an nhler... I would be fine if bobby orr or gretzky is that much better then say Toews.
    Lynch-CAN wrote: »

Doesn't unbalance the mode, high rater players doesn't translate into wins.

Try taking Richards off as your 1st line center, and have players 87-89 on your team. It is sometimes over the top difficult to beat him on faceoffs or stop long distance shots. Im only in D4 or D3 (forget) and run into Richards in 90+% of games. I am also a not a fan of playing against the same player over and over.
  • Let me know when "Hero of the Decade" Chris Simon HUT card comes out.
  • I'm confident that EA giving free cards to 90%+ of the people who play HUT will never be written up as a study in how to alienate customers.
  • I'm still outraged that my parents didn't buy enough stock in Apple 25 years ago...I guess that was an opportunity that I missed out on! But who doesn't enjoy ranting...I mean c'mon. Nobody feels sorry for you.

• hot-rivit wrote: »
    I'm still outraged that my parents didn't buy enough stock in Apple 25 years ago...I guess that was an opportunity that I missed out on! But who doesn't enjoy ranting...I mean c'mon. Nobody feels sorry for you.

Exactly.

Now go buy some packs before you miss out on the next freebie :)
  • @KoryDub i appreciate the feedback. I was simply trying to express a view point and frustration. I have no issue with missing out, I am however not a fan of how over powering the pack was for someone who plays 2-3 times a week and has a normal team. By all means allow people to get free stuff but dont make a borderline player the best in the game and only give to players who played in a select period of time.

Further, i would imagine this forum is mostly full of dedicated players who got the pack over occasional (2-3 times a week players) like myself..... Also, the only reason i posted was under the guide of a person at EA who agreed the promotion was not executed well, but could only do something if there was feedback on the games forums.
  • ahhhh.

ok two points here:
    1. "I am however not a fan of how over powering the pack was for someone who plays 2-3 times a week and has a normal team. " YES. Exactly. HUT should be with preset builds to prevent others getting "ahead" that play the game more. They do need to "fair" HUT up a bit.
    2. And lastly, Mike Richards is the best player in the game? I guess the Chris Simon card reference was missed so I fig'd I'd spell this one one.

happy friday!
  • SaveUs2K wrote: »

Were you scheduled to speak at Berkley last night?

If he was, I'd be so pumped. Milo is the GOAT.

Milo supports the freedom of EASHL customization and pulling yourself up by your bootstraps and progressing your player.

hahaha