EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th

Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

Matchmaking Is Inexcusably Bad

Of the last 20 matchups I've gotten in HUT's Competitive Seasons, 16 have had Fair or Poor connections (which meant I didn't play). And of the four games I was able to play, 2 of the 4 had ridiculous lag -- as in, game pausing for a half-second over and over again.

I have a 200/20 hardwired, low-ping connection with all the recommended ports open. I live in the biggest city in the US, in a region full of hockey fans. It's completely screwed up that EA is unable -- or unwilling -- to consistently put me in games with Good connections. So what's the issue? Is there just no one playing HUT these days, or is EA's matchmaking filter so poor that it perpetually puts people into games with bad connections?

Replies

• I think the problem stems from people being placed in the wrong regional servers when they first turn on nhl. I find that often instead of having western as my recommended server, it will be eastern or even Europe. I have to restart the game anywhere from one to ten times before it places me in the correct west server. Now even if I'm on the correct server, i have to assume there's many people this is happening to that aren't aware of the issue and are probably playing on the wrong server without even realizing it.

Until EA can properly place people on the correct server, or provide us with the ability to select the region we want to play in, i don't see this issue being resolved. This feels like an identical issue from 14 or 13 where i recall having to do the same thing. Check the eashl club search to see what ea recommends as the best server, and restart nhl until it recommends the correct server.
  • BassMan_PC
    337 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    It is downright terrible in Drop-in and EASHL. West players are contantly getting matched up on East servers. I just posted a thread on EA answers. Please upvote (me too) or reply in the thread...

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/EASHL-Drop-in-Matchmaking-Broken-mixing-West-and-East/td-p/5877618

It is getting harder and harder to keep playing this game. EA needs to fix this big time.
  • BassMan_PC wrote: »
    It is downright terrible in Drop-in and EASHL. West players are contantly getting matched up on East servers. I just posted a thread on EA answers. Please upvote (me too) or reply in the thread...

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/EASHL-Drop-in-Matchmaking-Broken-mixing-West-and-East/td-p/5877618

It is getting harder and harder to keep playing this game. EA needs to fix this big time.

Yeah, as I said, I'm playing 1v1 modes, but even there, it feels like EA sometimes just doesn't know where I am -- I'll go through stretches where I keep getting matched up against European teams, even though I'm on the East Coast.

The other consistent problem is that games with players from Quebec consistently have Fair connections, but I keep getting matched up with them. Game desperately needs a much better filter/matchmaking system.

• Hard to get good connections when not many people play the game anymore, people on my club haven't been on in a month.
  • Lynch-CAN wrote: »
    Hard to get good connections when not many people play the game anymore, people on my club haven't been on in a month.

dude go look at players playing in the Vs menu, since christmas it hasnt dropped and only increased...........just becuz your friends arent playing doesnt mean the majority arent playing.

Such simple minds
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • The_B_0_G
    593 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    COGSx86 wrote: »
    Lynch-CAN wrote: »
    Hard to get good connections when not many people play the game anymore, people on my club haven't been on in a month.

dude go look at players playing in the Vs menu, since christmas it hasnt dropped and only increased...........just becuz your friends arent playing doesnt mean the majority arent playing.

Such simple minds

I dont play vs, but the little I did showed me how bad every connection is.
  • Isn't vs P2P? If it is then enough said.