EA Forums - Banner

Anyone have tips on playing goalie? Besides don't.

Can someone please give me some tips on how to play goalie in this game? Used to be pretty good at goalie before they changed the controls in '15. No I wasn't one of the goalies that just sat in butterfly on the goal line.

Now whenever I play it's so frustrating because the controls are so clunky and slow, it takes forever to come off the post, you press LT for butterfly and immediately slide out of position, and my new favorite: being in position only for you to get nudged by your own dman and get scored on...

How do you guess if the shots going to be glove side or blocker? It used to be the right stick that you used to guess, now it's used for cross crease pushes. I could be perfectly square to the shooter and on the top of the paint or even further out for point shots and it'll just go in without my player even reacting or trying to use his glove or blocker, I just don't get this and I can't even practice because I don't want to destroy my clubs record and there's no such thing as defense in drop-in which leads to me getting messages telling me I'm trash and I'm like "Sorry I didn't stop that 4 on 0 boss."

Don't understand why they had to change the controls and movement, everything was fine all they needed to fix was the fact that someone could sit on the goaline in butterfly and somehow not get sniped on.

Replies

• Youtube nhl 17 goalie.
  • You can change the controls to "alternate", which should be pretty close to the old controls.
    You have to rely on defense more this year, so drop in games are a [email protected] Tracking the skater will get you punished this year, so you’ll have to play a stop-n-go style to prevent launching yourself way out of position simply for barely touching the left stick to keep square to the shooter. If you're moving even the slightest as the shot is taken, you're gonna have a bad time.

Lots of work still for goalies to have a consistent experience.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    First of all, what type of movement did you select? T-pushes (default) or Precision?

Once you wrap your head around that, you'll have to contend with the dev's "vision" of what Goaltending is supposed to be, which is mostly wrong in this game. So you'll have to come to grips that "sometimes, goalies gonna get sniped". Even when you're in perfect position. Even if you challenge the shot. Even if it would seem ridiculous to score from almost impossible angles... Pucks WILL get by you.

Then as ZombieBabyJesus said, you'll mostly have to learn to rely on your defense. But good luck with that, even in competitive EASHL clubs. Most players don't know how to play defense and will just stand around ("I was in the way man! Why didn't I intercept the puck!") or go a$$ up, stick down (the Traffic Cone) or they'll dive inside your crease and knock you out of position (the Drop-ins Special). And those few that do know how to play defense, they're dealing with a limited tool set to keep the attackers at bay, who enjoy a humongous advantage over both d-men and the goalie, because it's only fun when you're scoring 6 goals in 8 shots, eh? What FUN!!

As if THAT wasn't enough, you'll also have to deal with an impressive number of bugs and glitches. Pucks going through the goalie's body? Check! Pucks sliding under the goalie's pads? Check! Forwards or D-men crashing into you making your goalie freeze in place? Check! Opponents demolishing you after you make a save an pushing the puck into the net without goalie interference being called? Check! There's a ton more, but I don't want to spoil you "discovering" them on your own.

HAVE FUN!!

BTW. I'm mostly being melodramatic... The goalies have improved since NHL 16, where they were mostly unplayable. They're passable this year, but it's frustrating playing this position as you'll have to experience many situations where you KNOW it should've been a save, and it wasn't. Stop-n-Go Goaltending seems to be the best method to go. If you can find a team that plays a stifling defensive game, you'll win most, if not all of your games, but you'l be bored to tears as you'll probably face less than 10 shots per game.

If you play drop-ins, don't take them too seriously. Use them as a way to get "warmed up" before a real game.
  • yankfanatic2101
    58 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Hello @romasko777 ,

Here is a playlist of goalie tips from my YouTube Channel which has been helpful for a lot of people (those able to find it lol). It should help answer a lot of your questions including the controls. Any goalie questions feel free to ask :)

There's also Advanced Goalie tips on my channel as well which I'll link 2 videos below.

Camera Angles:

Zoomed out style (Overhead/Zone): You can see the entire ice which is great for reading plays but everything is a bit further from the ice making it a bit more difficult to see if you have your angles properly covered. I used overhead as my primary camera on the 360.

Zoomed in Style (High/Low): The exact opposite of the previous. Angles are much easier to read as the camera is directly behind your goalie, however you see the least amount of ice which can make reading plays a bit more difficult as not all 5 skaters will be on your screen at once.

Middle Style (Fixed/Ice/Classic): A middle ground. You can see almost the entire ice and the camera is still somewhat close to you. I personally used Fixed. Fixed in this game is new compared to the fixed in previous games. I like the balance of this camera angle but it does turn slowly to the corners which should be fixed in 18 (fingers crossed)

Controls:

Alternate or Default??

This depends on which buttons you prefer as your post and butterfly buttons as you will be using them the most.

Alternate (like old gen):
    Butterfly - LT/L2
    Post - RT/R2
    Precision Modifier - LB/L1

Default:
    Butterfly - RT/R2
    Post - LB/L1
    Precision Modifier - LT/L2

Precision Movement Default On/Off??

Most goalies prefer having it On. If you have it off your default movement is the T-Push which is absolute garbage in this game. If you have it off then you don't have to worry about LB/L1 unless for whatever reason you wanted to T-push. There are some goalies who prefer having it OFF. This means that they hold the precision modifier down the entire game and let go of the button only if they need the boost.

Auto-Cover Up - On. Cover ups suck in this game and you'll get screwed either way. Best to let it help you when it can although I will admit I've turned it off once in a while just out of frustration.

Auto-Sweep - On. Very rarely does this hurt you. I remember last gen once in a while it would put the puck in the net or towards the open side of the net where the opponent was.
  • ^good videos to watch
  • ^I lol'd but I think maybe a couple of those examples (sadly only a couple) are too crazy haha
  • Just started playing again after a 5 month break. Most importantly have fun.

Focus on positioning; get familiar with how the goalie moves on and off the post, read the play, know what hand the potential threats are and compromise (cheat) positioning accordingly. Dont get mad when a goal goes in, and dont quit. Its a learning experience.

After the game is over review all the goals scored on you and think what you could 've done to increase your odds of stopping that chance and familiarize yourself with the motions required. Some movment off the post is very clunky, and some animations the goalie makes, through you out of position.

If you are still getting use to the controls practise in either Hut as goalie lock; at least you are making progress towards something and the goalies are similar to that of OTP or EASHL.
    Or be a pro as a goalie.

Again most important thing is to have fun and try to give your team a chance to win every game. Sometimes thats not possible :smiley:
  • Ohh one more thing I found helpful is to focus on you in relation to the guy with the puck as the animations often through you out of position. I watch my goalie more then the puck.

As far as coming off the post I find it much easier to do so while stading up. It is unfortunate how slow the animation is from hugging the post in butterfly to standing up while still hugging the post, so try and stay standing as much as possible and only do so when its safe to.
  • SilentCricket26
    97 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Practice in the CHL. You want the old school crease for basic movements at the top of your crease.

Basic 1:
    Either toe or heel; use the top of the CHL crease to follow the shooter for a period or a game until you feel comfortable with moving around the top of the crease staying square to the shooter.

Reasons for:
    If you can you want to be as far out of the crease to prevent shots from rising on you. The closer you are to the shooter the harder it is to raise the puck on you/pick corners in tight. Also, in time you'll learn being in Butterfly pre shot will help you cover a lot more of the net and defections. Defelections are stopped the easiest when already in the butterfly at the top of the crease with a clear view.

Basic 2:
    While moving along the top of your crease. Be sure to post hold when the puck goes below the hash marks when along the boards and release from the post if the puck goes back above the hash marks to regain your position along your crease. ( Stand Up, Butterfly or VH, RVH)

Reason why:
    This will keep you square to the puck carrier when along the boards. Allowing you to easily push off when the puck is moved. ( should be coming straight off the post by pressing up or moving slightly inside the post with left or right(precision on)).

At this point you should be noticing you are developing a nice ark or umbrella rotation around the top of your crease. Once you start to get that feeling. Advance to the AHL.
    (No biggie if you were letting in a lot of back door goals or pass acrosses. This was a pure stay square to the shooter/puck carrier. Also, if you were slow in trying to follow plays. Not to worry either. )

Advance 1:
    L1+R2+Direction (post hold, PS4). this is where playing goalie gets fun. Most under used skilled by new Goalies and probably the best skill used by veteran Goalies ( Johnlol had a video in which he touched base on a few things he does with it. When used with the butterfly (R2) this becomes a Goalies secret weapon. Stopping breakaways, back door one timers, goal-line shots, rebound chances and control.

Reason Why:
    Its an advance move because its use in Basic 2 is so under estimated. This move allows to to lose depth but gain angles on back door one-timers, allows for quickly moving over for rebound chances. sealing off goal line shots.

Advance 2:
    T pushing in itself is the most under used move we have. When holding the post while the puck is below the hash marks along the post. You should now have your T push trigger held down for extra speed. (L2).

Reason why:
    If the puck goes up the boards to the near side defense you are able to push all the way to the top of your crease. If a pass goes back up to the high slot or to the back door defense a quick T push through the middle of your crease should help position yourself in the middle and above your crease. If a back door pass that travels through the slot to a wing back door, a t Push should spring yourself far enough over to make a save( certain scenarios this maneuver won't work). T pushing from the post and outwards towards the target receiving a pass should allow you to establish a Basic 1 scenario. So you spend more time reading the next pass then getting in position. Works well in Butterfly or standup post holds.

Advance 3:
    RS should be used the majority of the time the pass and shot come below the hash mark and a far post shot is an option.

Reason why:
    When using L1+T2+direction it can be to slow for a shot coming below the hash marks unless you jumped the gun. RS allows you to by pass the newly tuned animation process. Giving yourself the ability to slide through the shot and not freeze for an animation. Using it from a post hold allows for a far great push off allowing for some spectacular saves. ( great to combo down low with)

Post edited by SilentCricket26 on

• Practice in the CHL. You want the old school crease for basic movements at the top of your crease.

Basic 1:
    Either toe or heel; use the top of the CHL crease to follow the shooter for a period or a game until you feel comfortable with moving around the top of the crease staying square to the shooter.

Reasons for:
    If you can you want to be as far out of the crease to prevent shots from rising on you. The closer you are to the shooter the harder it is to raise the puck on you/pick corners in tight. Also, in time you'll learn being in Butterfly pre shot will help you cover a lot more of the net and defections. Defelections are stopped the easiest when already in the butterfly at the top of the crease with a clear view.

Basic 2:
    While moving along the top of your crease. Be sure to post hold when the puck goes below the hash marks, when along the boards and release from the post if the puck goes back above the hash marks to regain your position along your crease. ( Stand Up, Butterfly or VH, RVH)

Reason why:
    This will keep you square to the puck carrier when along the boards. Allowing you to easily push off when the puck is moved. ( should be coming straight off the post by pressing up or moving slightly inside the post with left or right(precision on)).

At this point you should be noticing you are developing a nice ark or umbrella rotation around the top of your crease. Once you start to get that feeling. Advance to the AHL.
    (No biggie if you were letting in a lot of back door goals or pass acrosses. This was a pure stay square to the shooter/puck carrier. Also, if you were slow in trying to follow plays. Not to worry either. )

Advance 1:
    L1+R2+Direction (post hold, PS4). this is where playing goalie gets fun. Most under used skilled by new Goalies and probably the best skill used by veteran Goalies ( Johnlol had a video in which he touched base on a few things he does with it. When used with the butterfly (R2) this becomes a Goalies secret weapon. Stopping breakaways, back door one timers, goal-line shots, rebound chances and control.

Reason Why:
    Its an advance move because its use in Basic 2 is so under estimated. This move allows to to lose depth but gain angles on back door one-timers, allows for quickly moving over for rebound chances. sealing off goal line shots.

Advance 2:
    T pushing in itself is the most under used move we have. When holding the post while the puck is below the hash marks along the post. You should now have your T push trigger held down for extra speed. (L2).

Reason why:
    If the puck goes up the boards to the near side defense you are able to push all the way to the top of your crease. If a pass goes back up to the high slot or back door defense a quick T push through the middle of your crease should help position yourself for shot from there. A pack door pass that travels up in thru the slot to a wing back door a t Push should spring yourself far enough over to make a save( certain scenarios this maneuver won't work). T pushing from the post and outwards towards the target receiving a pass should allow you to establish a Basic 1 scenario. So you spend more time reading the next pass then getting in position. Works well in Butterfly or standup post holds.

Advance 3:
    RS should be used the majority of the time the pass and shot come below the hash mark and a far post shot is an option.

Reason why:
    When using L1+T2+direction it can be to slow for a shot coming below the hash marks unless you jumped the gun. RS allows you to by pass the newly tuned animation process. Giving yourself the ability to slide through the shot and not freeze for an animation. Using it from a post hold allows for a far great push off allowing for some spectacular saves. ( great to combo down low with)

Good post.

Find the goalies in CHL and AHL are not comparable to the EASHL preset ones though.

• SilentCricket26
    97 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Honesty, I think it's PHL that has the old school creases. Has nothing to do with stats at all. You just want that ark/umbrella feeling going and following the crease.

Stats are good to have but they aren't really what determines a good goalie and a bad. Specially in EASHL. You can have players standing there and make 20 saves by accident. Really, by accident their guy won't do anything but play the part of Forest Gump.

Meanwhile, I'll be using my speed and agile to its maximum and won't come up with a save because I actually moved into the shot to much. It has a lot to do with what the DEVs have been tuning since release. I'm just trying to get new players some info on how to position themselves for consistency. The more consistent you are the more confident you are. The more confidence you have in what you're doing the more time you can spend reading the play and finding the open guy. The faster you find the open guy the easier to gameplan the scenario if it unfolds. These are all just tools I use to get me to that confidence point.
  • Thanks for all of the great and hilarious posts guys! Made me laugh after a game (which was a win) not counting, and losing the following game in 2OT with it getting tied with 30 seconds left after I made a save and got frozen at the side of the net for about ten seconds, during which I was literally spamming every button on the controller to get my guy to move, d-man turns the puck over at the blue line and the computer passes for the 4th cross crease goal of the game and lose 5-4 in OT on a sort side shot I was in perfect position for.

Currently stuck at 20 wins, I just want to get to 25 to be able to recolor my pads then I won't take drop-in games so seriously anymore. I have so many goals go in off of me its not even funny, I'll be at the top of the crease and the shot will hit my blocker and either go five hole (because ya know, physics) or bounce into the top of the net. And so many more where I'm in perfect position and square and it'll go straight in without me moving my glove or blocker. I understand snipes happen in real life but some of these are just strai

The worst absolute worst is when the human goalie rage quits and the AI who replaces him is a god and they comeback (someone should be forced to replace the goalie, make it fair).