EA Forums - Banner

EASHL Competitive Rating

Replies

• BassMan_PC wrote: »
    High CR means you play on winning teams often. That can be a good club or with a regular group of friends in drop-in. My CR is never too high because I play most of my games with randoms in drop-in.

It's a shame faceoffs aren't the # 1 factor towards CR, eh bud? ;)
  • Workin_OT wrote: »
    BassMan_PC wrote: »
    High CR means you play on winning teams often. That can be a good club or with a regular group of friends in drop-in. My CR is never too high because I play most of my games with randoms in drop-in.

It's a shame faceoffs aren't the # 1 factor towards CR, eh bud? ;)

For sure, eh bud? Give'r!
  • The only thing cr is good for is spotting a troll or someone so bad you assume they are a troll. Unfortunately since we don't see ratings until after the game... It's useless
  • The only thing cr is good for is spotting a troll or someone so bad you assume they are a troll. Unfortunately since we don't see ratings until after the game... It's useless

I believe the reason is so people dont leave the lobby when they see a high CR player. But the thing is, CR is determined by wins and losses, so eventually you would hope people would smarten up and realize that high CR players are part of clubs that win a lot moreso that actually being a very good individual player.
  • It is mostly useful over a long series of games.

Early on it won't be all that great because it will be too easily affected by a bad game or two that may or may not have been your fault. Over the long haul though it should be a decent indication of what a player's skill is once they've played a few dozen games.

I wouldn't ever take it as an absolute, but I don't think it should be ignored completely either.
    Twitch: MadCard05
    Youtube: Madwolf Gaming
  • sgiz1
    537 posts Member
    If they continue to use the team ranking in the calculations they will never get an accurate skill rating, they need an algorithm that calculates each individual player in the line up for each game in the calculation.

Using last years system for example, if you are playing 6's and all 6 players are in the 800's vs. a team of all 500's, the ranking calculations should weigh a heavy reward for an upset win/loss, and very little reward for a mismatch win.

This way it doesn't reward making new clubs as it uses the player skill, not the club rating.
  • yes everything about their rating systems and matchmaking sucks.

any decent group that club together regularly should have CRs in the 850-1000 range. Heck this past year I didn't have time to club hardly at all so i went long periods of time doing nothing but almost exclusive solo drop ins (yes basically the equivalent of getting aids while fighting cancer). Yet I've had CR ratings anywhere from mid 800s to mid 500s all on solo dropins. i can't explain it but i'll get runs of 10 or more games in a row where almost every teammate is a complete moron. I often just quit out. I usually can't go more than a few games where i don't get stuck in one where almost the entire game the entire team is playing every position.

Next thing I know i've dropped 200pts in one night. This is why people who care about their CR don't play drop in and I think it's a huge reason why drop ins have gone from awesome way back in the day to a horrible experience. combine CR 🎃🎃🎃🎃 with no lobbies or community of any kind and good players have been leaving for years. seriously i used to know 100s of decent players that i would constantly see in drop ins, now i can go weeks without seeing 1 person.

drop ins weren't as good in the 14-15 days as the 10-11 days but they were 100x better than 16 and 17 has been even worse. hell the beta has been the worst hockey i've ever seen. this is why i'm not buying the game for the first time in decades. game sucks, no community, half the friends i still have left playing say they aren't getting it. no reasons left for me to buy it
  • B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    SaveUs2K wrote: »
    yes everything about their rating systems and matchmaking ****.

any decent group that club together regularly should have CRs in the 850-1000 range. Heck this past year I didn't have time to club hardly at all so i went long periods of time doing nothing but almost exclusive solo drop ins (yes basically the equivalent of getting aids while fighting cancer). Yet I've had CR ratings anywhere from mid 800s to mid 500s all on solo dropins. i can't explain it but i'll get runs of 10 or more games in a row where almost every teammate is a complete moron. I often just quit out. I usually can't go more than a few games where i don't get stuck in one where almost the entire game the entire team is playing every position.

Next thing I know i've dropped 200pts in one night. This is why people who care about their CR don't play drop in and I think it's a huge reason why drop ins have gone from awesome way back in the day to a horrible experience. combine CR **** with no lobbies or community of any kind and good players have been leaving for years. seriously i used to know 100s of decent players that i would constantly see in drop ins, now i can go weeks without seeing 1 person.

drop ins weren't as good in the 14-15 days as the 10-11 days but they were 100x better than 16 and 17 has been even worse. **** the beta has been the worst hockey i've ever seen. this is why i'm not buying the game for the first time in decades. game ****, no community, half the friends i still have left playing say they aren't getting it. no reasons left for me to buy it

And this lack of a competitive community is totally due to the fact that this game simply isn't fun anymore. Everyone is tired of the skating, physics, goalies, AI, clipping, etc. HUT is this game's life support, because there certainly isn't a true hardcore following anymore...that is long gone.

Theres also nothing to be competitive for. All the unlocks/customizatiom will unlock eventually for just about everyone, as long as you play the game enough. And In my experience having a really high CR did nothing but make matchmaking with others even more difficult.

So what am i playing for? Whats a really good player playing for, besides the love of hockey, if Joe Smith who had a below .500 record will be able to attain everything I can with a record above .850
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • NuttySportsFan
    429 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    B-Bunny wrote: »
    SaveUs2K wrote: »
    yes everything about their rating systems and matchmaking ****.

Next thing I know i've dropped 200pts in one night. This is why people who care about their CR don't play drop in and I think it's a huge reason why drop ins have gone from awesome way back in the day to a horrible experience. combine CR **** with no lobbies or community of any kind and good players have been leaving for years. seriously i used to know 100s of decent players that i would constantly see in drop ins, now i can go weeks without seeing 1 person.

drop ins weren't as good in the 14-15 days as the 10-11 days but they were 100x better than 16 and 17 has been even worse. **** the beta has been the worst hockey i've ever seen. this is why i'm not buying the game for the first time in decades. game ****, no community, half the friends i still have left playing say they aren't getting it. no reasons left for me to buy it

And this lack of a competitive community is totally due to the fact that this game simply isn't fun anymore. Everyone is tired of the skating, physics, goalies, AI, clipping, etc. HUT is this game's life support, because there certainly isn't a true hardcore following anymore...that is long gone.

Theres also nothing to be competitive for. All the unlocks/customizatiom will unlock eventually for just about everyone, as long as you play the game enough. And In my experience having a really high CR did nothing but make matchmaking with others even more difficult.

So what am i playing for? Whats a really good player playing for, besides the love of hockey, if Joe Smith who had a below .500 record will be able to attain everything I can with a record above .850

This is a perfect example of something NHL could take out of RLs book. At the end of the online competitive season in RL (some number of months) players receive special vehicle accessories you can only get for that season if you advance to a particular rank.

Custom designs for particular division ranking from the EA team could be something "fun" to add to the EASHL equipment options without hurting the game...so long as we arent wearing camo or clown outfits again

Edit: Why not even add special "limited" arena customization options linked to division/rank per month on top of that?
  • BlahQGhozT
    134 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Why not have it so people who have say 1000 + CR are able to put C's and A's on their jerseys or are at least eligible to get it on their jersey in club by their GM? A small incentive to care to have a higher CR. May be a pointless decal, but it is a fun one to have. I'll take those over mouth guards any day.

I can see the argument for some being that they play drop ins which kills their CR due to randoms, and my solution to that is to not have CR count in drop ins. A competitive rating should be applied in a competitive setting, which is club where people are actually trying to win together, not just waste time and be jerks.

Currently, the only "fix" for this is to have separate accounts for drop ins and club.
    BlahQz - Owner of WikkiD VI / D6 NatioN - Our EASHL games are available here on YouTube and Twitch!
  • they need to get rid of CR in drop ins. and there should be no reward for CR period. feel free to award clubs tons of awesome crap for their club success... heck that may encourage more people to play.

seriously EA needs to take a step back and say how can we encourage more people to buy/play this game

not trying to be a 🎃🎃🎃🎃 but what is it with the obsession by some to have C's and A's on their eashl club jersey's ? I mean do you even play this game at a camera angle where you can see that kind of thing. replays i guess you may see it? just wondering as I seriously don't get it, just like the mouthguards and many other features i really never notice
  • they need to get rid of CR in drop ins. and there should be no reward for CR period. feel free to award clubs tons of awesome crap for their club success... heck that may encourage more people to play.

seriously EA needs to take a step back and say how can we encourage more people to buy/play this game

not trying to be a **** but what is it with the obsession by some to have C's and A's on their eashl club jersey's ? I mean do you even play this game at a camera angle where you can see that kind of thing. replays i guess you may see it? just wondering as I seriously don't get it, just like the mouthguards and many other features i really never notice

I wouldn't call it an obsession, but if they are going to add details such as mascots, boards with puck marks in them, signs in the crowds, decals on the helmets etc, why wouldn't you have the letters on the jerseys? Just seems odd to leave out.

Clubs like mine like to give that stuff out and have fun with it (nag guys and team build if you will). If you don't want to use them you were never forced to.
    BlahQz - Owner of WikkiD VI / D6 NatioN - Our EASHL games are available here on YouTube and Twitch!
  • B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    edited August 2017
    Yeah - maybe for 19 we'll see some of this stuff. I've been talking about it since early 16.

At least HUT is able to do promos / deals for new fancy cards that people can aim for and only the best can acquire. Especially with how competitive seasons works now. EASHL needs something like that too.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • While I don't believe CR is a direct representation of a players skill, I think it's naive to think it means nothing at all. Players who win a lot are typically skilled. Yeah there's guys who get carried and skilled guys who play on crap teams but it's the exception more often than the norm.
  • sgiz1
    537 posts Member
    "Very true as well. I think the lack of a hardcore following really hurts that competitive scene..I know you're a competitive 6s guy, and there's no denying even our communities have been hit very hard by the state of this game. There's people that still haven't jumped to a PS4 or XB1 due to this game not being worth it. "

This game in particular EASHL and 6's have been hit hard by TPS/vision control failure by EA. NHL 09/10/11/12 they had it right, EASHL/6's was booming! and fun to play. It's flat out amazing after all these years of struggling with TPS/vision control EA doesn't look back at it as a controlled experiment now and say to themselves "our new direction didn't work". Does EA want the current state/community to continue the downward spiral? or get this game community and following back to the glory days of NHL 09/10/11/12? Man that's an easy decision, go with what works best!
  • Currently that's basically it, plus to help you gauge where you are vs the rest of the community as another poster mentioned. In the Player Summary screen (post game) you can see everyone's CR so you can at least determine the relevant skill level of every player compared to yourself. In the future we hope to do more with it but it may need some tweaking as a poster mentioned. It's not fair to calculate a goalie the same as a skater since the positions are drastically different. Forward and Defense at least has transferable skills, so i'm not sure if we would separate them out for every position, but for "skater" and "goalie" that would seem to be the most logical choice.
    So, it has no effect on how the AI plays at all? If CR has no impact on the AI then is there something else other than intimidation and momentum that does?
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!