EA Forums - Banner

NHL 18 Exclusive Gameplay & Interview(Shows Vegas Knights and New Team Canada Training Session )

casdevils2k
22 posts Member
edited August 2017

(Vegas gameplay)

Replies

• It's very difficult to tell if the gameplay was NHL 17/NHL 18. Only difference when watching is the Vegas Knights were in the game.

and lol at the commentary team still not having anything for Matt Murray when he's introduced. It's small things like this that ruin the game. Same.Exact.Commentary.
  • First video made the AI look even worse than they usually are. I hope that was rookie difficulty.

Second video is 20 minutes long for those who are interested, so i'll give you time stamps to look at.

1:34, BAP request a trade is returning. All new to NHL allows you to ask where you would like to get traded. The wording says "specific trade criteria, like a division rival, or a major Cup contending team".

EA missed the boat on that one...NBA 2k lets you ask for a specific team and the percentage chance of that team wanting to trade for you.

Nevermind the time stamps...this guy is horrible. Good thing he got a free copy of the game. Way to make the AI look incredible LOL to be fair the AI showed improved passing.
  • just glad to see BAP will be in NHL 18 and that you can request a trade again. Loved the beta! Cant wait for the entire game!!
  • Follisimo
    1032 posts Member
    First video made the AI look even worse than they usually are. I hope that was rookie difficulty.

Second video is 20 minutes long for those who are interested, so i'll give you time stamps to look at.

1:34, BAP request a trade is returning. All new to NHL allows you to ask where you would like to get traded. The wording says "specific trade criteria, like a division rival, or a major Cup contending team".

EA missed the boat on that one...NBA 2k lets you ask for a specific team and the percentage chance of that team wanting to trade for you.

Nevermind the time stamps...this guy is horrible. Good thing he got a free copy of the game. Way to make the AI look incredible LOL to be fair the AI showed improved passing.

And this is why the AI is the way it is. There really are people out there this bad that struggle against the AI. They want to be able to play online also and thus the AI plays the way they do so they can try to enjoy the game instead of learning and getting much better.

• Follisimo wrote: »
    First video made the AI look even worse than they usually are. I hope that was rookie difficulty.

And this is why the AI is the way it is. There really are people out there this bad that struggle against the AI. They want to be able to play online also and thus the AI plays the way they do so they can try to enjoy the game instead of learning and getting much better.

If I was making a sports video game, i would want it to cover the entire spectrum of player skill. From young kids who barely understand the sport, to us old guys. Why not even include an unbelievably intelligent AI difficulty that even makes most average online players look weak by comparison?
  • The best thing in the second video was seeing how fast the menus were. They were pretty snappy. Hopefully that is carried throughout the game modes.
  • Follisimo
    1032 posts Member
    Follisimo wrote: »

If I was making a sports video game, i would want it to cover the entire spectrum of player skill. From young kids who barely understand the sport, to us old guys. Why not even include an unbelievably intelligent AI difficulty that even makes most average online players look weak by comparison?

Because it can't exist. There is no way to make an AI for online play that somehow plays dumb for one and challenging for another in the same game being played. Also if you suggest multiple online difficulties well that just separates an already small player base for finding games. Also you would probably have some QC want to play with rookie AI to feel great about themselves.

• Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    At least there's more options on training, new stuff like faceoffs, which are welcome. Maybe practice might actually be useful this year, instead of mere free skate? Obviously you know, for those of us who are not e-sports pros or anything.... :)
  • Follisimo
    1032 posts Member
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    At least there's more options on training, new stuff like faceoffs, which are welcome. Maybe practice might actually be useful this year, instead of mere free skate? Obviously you know, for those of us who are not e-sports pros or anything.... :)

I've always wanted them to add those types of things. It's best to teach the game for understanding.

• NuttySportsFan
    429 posts Member
    edited August 2017

Because it can't exist. There is no way to make an AI for online play that somehow plays dumb for one and challenging for another in the same game being played. Also if you suggest multiple online difficulties well that just separates an already small player base for finding games. Also you would probably have some QC want to play with rookie AI to feel great about themselves.

You completely misunderstood me. I'm suggesting an offline only difficulty level that is meant to be so challanging it can rival the average skill level of players one would play against online. Think of it as a "recommended for the best of the best" type of AI
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »

I've always wanted them to add those types of things. It's best to teach the game for understanding.

They had tutorials back in NHL 12, not sure if they were removed in 13 though. It will be interesting to see if they include tutorials on how and WHEN to use particular dekes. It will also be nice to see what they come up with for goalie tutorials.
  • How is vadim shipachyov from vegas playing when he hasn't played a game in the NHL yet?