2514 posts Member
edited August 2017
Hate to break it to you but it isn't

TPS (yes it has it's moments)
Lag (yes it plays a factor sometimes)

But the majority of what's wrong with this game is this:

20170812_015818_zpsrpozbts5.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

The community.

I played 6 games tonight. Absolutely zero lag. I can manage TPS. The worst part of all 6 games are the * heads that make up the NHL community. Either you are "elite" or a noob/troll. There is no in between.

It absolutely amazes me how few actually know that hockey isn't only a north south game. I can almost instantly tell what kind of player you are because you have the "always up" mentality.

Granted this is drop in but it is absolutely astounding how the majority (I mean 95%) dunno how to play the game off hockey.

Then you have the trolls that do everything in their power to prolong games.

Of those 6 games maybe only 2 of them were enjoyable.

Perhaps I need to club up cause this dropin community is *.

Edit: I write this having won 9 of the last 12 dropin games and I'm still frustrated.
Post edited by Taste-D-Rainbow on

Replies

• Yeah, I don't know why but this game seems to bring out he worst in some people. I don't know if it's any better with other games communities, but gawd I really hope so. These types are ruining HUT and they can ruin dropins too, so it's best to join a team in EASHL. Although having said that, there are some teams out there who act like complete morons.

But such 'humorous' names are handy in that you know immediately to back out of the game when you see them...or at least be prepared for what's coming.
  • I agree 100%, the offense I see repeatedly in dropin is just horrific. Mind you it's dropin, but still, holy cow just completely clueless.
  • djneohockey
    721 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    And what do you guys expect with the settings they use online? It's not very entertaining for the hockey people, to be there.
    And it will be even worse with the crowd they are targeting with the Threes.
  • That's no excuse for acting like a ****, is it? Or are claiming the game is *forcing* people to act like asshats? :#
  • This is true. I can no longer play online. It's unbearable how people play the super aggressive score at all costs style of play. They don't do anything but just try and score goals. No passing, no cycling, no neutral zone play, no dump ins. It is not enjoyable to say the least.
  • When the game is bad, people look for other ways to be entertained. Bad games breed a rowdy troll community.
  • Funny thing is we won this game and these guys talked * the entire time. Not about me in particular but how the other team had a level one C and level one LD (the C was clearly not a level one, likely a second account).

We won 9-2 but the funny thing is, these "chelbruhs" is it? weren't even good but thought they were gods gift and the level one's were lesser humans.
  • HandsomeCatf1sh
    1707 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    I was Playing LD...I had a center message me with "rough period for you man" while he was at the center line before I even had possession of the puck in our zone.
    When I did manage to get the puck up to him, he would get lit up every time because he tried to get into the slot and wind up a shot, basically telegraphing his efforts.

Drop ins are a public thing...and just like when you go out into a public area...you will encounter goofs and morons.

Nothing you can really do, except not let it get to you.
    Post edited by HandsomeCatf1sh on
  • Funny thing is we won this game and these guys talked * the entire time. Not about me in particular but how the other team had a level one C and level one LD (the C was clearly not a level one, likely a second account).

We won 9-2 but the funny thing is, these "chelbruhs" is it? weren't even good but thought they were gods gift and the level one's were lesser humans.

It's the same way in OVP! They get out played in every facet of the game and they get a EA gifted GWG (puck physically passes through goalies pads or their stick physically passes through the back of the net dragging the puck with it) and they act like THEY were the ones that controlled play for the entire game. I've said it before "EA has created this culture" by allowing these people to Think they are good. When you take 6 Penalty's (spamming the poke check button, spamming the stick lift button, running into my goalie, boarding my player 10sec after he passed the puck) and I have taken 0 Penalty's because I play good positional Hockey (well ok, as good as EA will allow...we all know the problems the Defensive side of the game has), that tells me you're not very good. When I out shoot you 32 - 8 (was proud I held him/her to 8 shots in an entire game...lol), that tells me you're not very good. When I own a 11:44 TOA to your measly 1:19 TOA, that tells me you know nothing of Real Hockey but yet EA finds ways to keep the games close so these people can feel like they are Good at the game
  • CrushNHL wrote: »
    When the game is bad, people look for other ways to be entertained. Bad games breed a rowdy troll community.

NHL is not a bad game when played properly. Almost all online games suffer from trolls and idiots on their public servers. The game needs to discourage their behavior with penalties and incentives. In Counter-Strike you get banned for a while for too much friendly fire, for instance. That game also has the option of voting to kick a teammate, which is alright but also abused sometimes.
  • People can claim the reason the community is so toxic is due to the game being "worse", but fact of the matter, this community has always been toxic. I've said it for years even before there was a ps4 and xbone. This community sucks.

However, I'd argue that ALL gaming communities became toxic the moment gaming became mainstream. Same thing happened to the internet. All the dbags who looked down on gamers or computer "geeks", decided that those activities weren't as dumb as they thought, and proceeded to bring their dbag mentality to these activities, and they've become a cesspool of full of dudebros and general dbags.

Blame those subhumans for the state of the community.
  • RSall14
    599 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Bringing back the blue arrow would help the people legitimately clueless about positioning. Give us the ability to toggle on/off. Also bring back tutorials for the less experienced or new players. I know all this won't help the trolling but at least its something.
  • There's going to be new tutorials in NHL18, it looks like they actually used some resources for it?
  • BassMan_PC
    357 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Toss up between the lag and community for what is the worst. Both ruin the game. EA definitely needs to step up with the anti-trolling and griefing measures though.
  • BassMan_PC wrote: »
    Toss up between the lag and community for what is the worst. Both ruin the game. EA definitely needs to step up with the anti-trolling and griefing measures though.

EA won't do a thing, because they themselves encourage this type of "troll" and "chellbruh" behaviour. Why would you allow players to shoot into the net after the whistle or hit the goalie and NOT call and automatic penalty?? Why would you allow players to spam knee block and "t-bag" each other after every whistle? Why would you allow a human goalie to walk across the ice trying to instigate a fight with the other goalie and NOT call a 2 minute for unsportsmanlike?

What's the worst thing about this series? That's easy: it's EA themselves. They think Hockey is a joke. So the community thinks the game is a joke.

If it wasn't for the hardcore, vocal minority, this game would've died 10 years ago.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    BassMan_PC wrote: »

EA won't do a thing, because they themselves encourage this type of "troll" and "chellbruh" behaviour. Why would you allow players to shoot into the net after the whistle or hit the goalie and NOT call and automatic penalty?? Why would you allow players to spam knee block and "t-bag" each other after every whistle? Why would you allow a human goalie to walk across the ice trying to instigate a fight with the other goalie and NOT call a 2 minute for unsportsmanlike?

What's the worst thing about this series? That's easy: it's EA themselves. They think Hockey is a joke. So the community thinks the game is a joke.

If it wasn't for the hardcore, vocal minority, this game would've died 10 years ago.

EXACTLY! Find it funny EA uses the tagline "ITS IN THE GAME"! No EA, it's NOT! Because in the REAL NHL game, if you purposely plowed into the goalie after the whistle, you'd 1) start a scrum and 2) BE PENALIZED for it
  • Wait, people actually care about the post-whistle tomfoolery? That's where I've always just switched off until the next faceoff. I like my game to try and emulate real hockey as much as the next guy, but I've never thought to be bothered in EA Sports NHL by anyone shooting the puck or messing around after a whistle. It's not during play so it doesn't affect the game in any way, after all.
  • Janikka wrote: »
    Wait, people actually care about the post-whistle tomfoolery? That's where I've always just switched off until the next faceoff. I like my game to try and emulate real hockey as much as the next guy, but I've never thought to be bothered in EA Sports NHL by anyone shooting the puck or messing around after a whistle. It's not during play so it doesn't affect the game in any way, after all.

Yes, you are correct it doesn't affect game play but for someone like me, it's about Sportsmanship and Enjoyment of the game. I ENJOY a Mature opponent, have had my a r s e handed to me 8-1 but my opponent was Mature and played a Mature game and it was the most fun I've ever had! I played a game where I scored in the opening minute and my opponent instantly becomes a 5yr old child. What fun is it for me when opponent tries to score on his own goalie every time he has possession of the puck??? What fun can possibly be had when opponent gets possession of the puck, skates into own and and continually flips the puck over the glass for a penalty???

I can hand my controller to my now 7yr old and watch her Play the same way as some of these immature people...difference is she is 7, she knows no better! Just like the Figure Skaters who don't know the meaning of pass...hand your controller to a 5,6,7yr old and watch how they FIGURE SKATE when they finally have the puck...why? Because they don't understand the finer points of Hockey. My daughter is now solely focusing on Gymnastics (3 different sports, Gymnastics and Dance....took quite a bite out of the old wallet...lol) but when she played Soccer at 4,5 and 6 (was a tad bit better)...you could see it! Pass what is Pass? No I got the ball therefore I am going to kick it all the way down the field and and score, so much so that I will even take the ball off of my own teammates. That thought process sounds A LOT like the "Figure Skaters" in OVP, HUT, Drop Ins....difference is, those 4,5,6yr olds don't know any better (you can tell them to PASS the ball until your blue in the face but that's not how their mindset is)

I have in the past made suggestions about Creating different rooms/lobbies for different game play (remember they used to have the Rooms named after each NHL Division where you could meet other people and start up games). Why not have a Room/Lobby where those of us that just WANT TO PLAY a MATURE game without all the childish B S can go to? A room/lobby where the kiddies can play a 1970s/1980s ARCADE NO RULES type game....this way I wouldn't have to play 20-30 immature people before I got to that coveted MATURE player
  • Janikka wrote: »
    Wait, people actually care about the post-whistle tomfoolery? That's where I've always just switched off until the next faceoff. I like my game to try and emulate real hockey as much as the next guy, but I've never thought to be bothered in EA Sports NHL by anyone shooting the puck or messing around after a whistle. It's not during play so it doesn't affect the game in any way, after all.

Did you know that in the Original Street Fighter IV (what the fighting game community calls "Vanilla") you could hit your opponent after K.O. was on screen? Some people thought it was great fun to continue hitting the opponent when he couldn't defend himself/herself anymore.

And yet Capcom removed that "feature" in a patch. Why? Because the majority of the community (especially the hard core competitive players in Japan) thought it was DISRESPECTFUL. So it was removed.

It may seem like a "little" thing, but if your game allows for troll behaviour it will BREED troll behaviour.

The devs said that fighting is the way they have implemented to deter that kind of thing, but fighting puts the troll and YOU in the box. So what's to deter him from doing it over and over again just to pull one of your teammates into the box with him? Why not just put a counter on people that do that sort of thing. Once, it passes (maybe it was a mistake). Second time you do it, ref comes to warn you in a cut scene or you have to fight one of the AI bots. Third time you are automatically in the box for unsportsmanlike. Five times total, you are ejected by the ref or you're benched by the Coach.

Too harsh? Perhaps... But then again a goalie that's caught "wandering too much" is ejected immediately for "bad behaviour". If that's bad, why isn't shooting into the net after a whistle??
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    And the funny thing is, we know the tools propably are (or have been) there to punish the idiots, you used to get penalty for ramming the goalie, and you can get a penalty for after the whistle hits and spearing, but it's is very, very, very rare. Why not just up the probability precentage and be done with it?

Because EA doesnt care, or because it WANTS these asshats in the game?