EA Forums - Banner

Why Isn't NHL On PC?

Replies

• CaveWaverider
    4 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    The roots of EA Sports NHL games lie on the PC. Please bring back NHL 18 or at least NHL 19 to the PC. Moving to the Frostbite Engine should make it an easy port for some quick bucks on an Origin release. It works well with FIFA, so it would be great if NHL follows suit. It won't matter if it takes a month longer than the console release, just get it done, please.
  • I see the game is not on PC for the Ninth. Straight. Year.

Is there any reason the largest gaming community in the history of video games isn't getting access to any of EA's sports games apart from FIFA?

I thought EA was on a journey to "regain the trust of the PC gaming audience"
    (Source-https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/01/ea-were-on-a-journey-to-regain-trust-of-the-pc-gamer/)

This is a question many, many people want answered. It should be mentioned that the game coming to the PC market will only improve the product for the existing console base. More sales means more money for EA, and a bigger budget for next year's title.

Very good question! Playing the game on PC would be kind of cool and something "New" but at the same time would be very weird to many.
  • See from what I've gathered with this survey business is you either have to be an EA customer or in some way shape or form tell EA you want to participate in their survey. If EA was genuinely interested in seeing what a potential market was for their game they'd contact steam, nvidia (geforce experience), amd, etc. and also go through origin sending a survey to everyone on all of those platforms asking questions about not just NHL but all of their sports franchises. Sure many wouldn't even give them the time of day. Others would and that would be the only true way to possibly have any real idea of what the market is for their games on PC.

Yes they would likely have to do some things. Cross platform play akin to rocket league would likely be a must. Stable servers would also be important. Graphics settings and all the customization PC gamers are used to obviously required. However given that the PS4 and Xbone are literally PCs running Playstation and Xbox operating systems it really shouldn't be that hard of a task to make the game run on a windows PC. Heck Forza is on PC, and I believe a few other Xbox exclusives are being sent over to PC because of how easy it is for them to come to Windows 10 from the Xbone architecture.

Yes this guy, idk what his name is wasn't paying attention but he is very adversarial about this issue. I understand. I am not about to go buy a console for one measly game. I have 500 others I can already play at any given moment. However if NHL were to show up on PC I'd more than likely buy it due to not having any option that isn't retro for 3d hockey on PC. I mean I stopped playing NHl with '14. My live subscription was ending new consoles were coming and I didn't want them so I just stopped using them and used my gaming PC instead. Now 5 years down the road I do kinda miss playing hockey video games. Sure I've found other hobbies like disc golfing and shooting guns which are far less frustrating than a mediocre video game, and also far more rewarding.

I don't need EA to make NHL on PC, would I like it absolutely, but I can take it or leave it. They are the ones losing out. You guys are talking like it's some astronomical thing to put the game on PC and it really isn't and shouldn't be. The consoles are literally PCs with different operating systems. That's it. No real excuse from a developmental standpoint. The only reason for it to not be is corporate EA tying the devs hands which imo has been going on for many many years.
  • EA doesn't want to divide the already small community by putting the game on another platform but I wonder how much that community and market has decreased over the years by putting out a game that is less fun year after year? I have been playing EA hockey online since NHL2000 and over the 18 years have declined on about 10 versions NHL 15 being the most recent "no thanks EA" so I wonder what the true market would be for a good version of the game..?
  • I think the points have pretty much been made thus far:
    • It would divide the community further
    • Would cost a lot to port to PC and support vs return on investment
    • You might lose PC customers beyond NHL 18 because of mods
    • Judging by sales from other sports titles compared to NHL sales you'd only sell around 75K copies sold on PC.

I'm not saying it's something that's easy to accept, but at the end of the day it is simply our current reality. It would be better to concentrate on improving the game for now and build up their customer base to the point it would be possible to sustain a PC market for the NHL series.
    Twitch: MadCard05
    Youtube: Madwolf Gaming
  • How would cross platform play divide the community?

You want a sustainable customer base look to pc. Console players for the most part play a game for a short while and then it dies. PC games tend to have huge communities even on 5 year old games. Hell there's actually a pretty large group of people who keep working on NHL 09 for those who want a 3d hockey game on pc.

Why would they be keeping rosters up to date on an eight year old game if there was no market for that type of game on the platform?
  • How would cross platform play divide the community?

Because you already have a small player base divided across two consoles. If you add a 3rd platform you are further diluting the community. Some people that played on one of the two existing would migrate to PC.

It's not that difficult to understand.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »
    How would cross platform play divide the community?

Because you already have a small player base divided across two consoles. If you add a 3rd platform you are further diluting the community. Some people that played on one of the two existing would migrate to PC.

That really depends though. I'm sure some people that only play NHL on their consoles may switch in order to not have to deal with PS+ or XBL Gold or to just get rid of their consoles altogether, but there would probably be more new players created by the people who only play games on PC right now.
  • Oilersguru wrote: »
    Sales were not strong enough to continue development out of ea Montreal

you still here?where you bin... man?

THE...Detriot Frenzy Alumni
  • Apparently, the Xbox 360 "research" emulator Xenia can run NHL '15 close to function "gameplay." https://github.com/xenia-project/game-compatibility/issues/475

• IceLion68 wrote: »

It would only divide the community if there wasn't cross platform.

In fact, it would drastically improve quality of matchmaking and decrease waiting times between games. With cross platform, the community becomes larger, resulting in more competition at all skill levels.

Keep in mind of course cross platform would be "PC vs Xbox" OR "PC vs PS4" as PS4 and Xbone cannot play with each other.

At first I thought Sony would object, but then I remembered Rocket League for PS4 can be played cross platform against PC users as well. This is very much possible. EA just needs to spend a little money.
  • MetalMilitia623
    1464 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    IceLion68 wrote: »

Did you not read what you quoted? Cross platform play literally means PC players playing with xbox and ps4 players much the same as can be done on rocket league... How that "divides" the community is beyond me...

It would only divide the community if there wasn't cross platform.

In fact, it would drastically improve quality of matchmaking and decrease waiting times between games. With cross platform, the community becomes larger, resulting in more competition at all skill levels.

Keep in mind of course cross platform would be "PC vs Xbox" OR "PC vs PS4" as PS4 and Xbone cannot play with each other.

At first I thought Sony would object, but then I remembered Rocket League for PS4 can be played cross platform against PC users as well. This is very much possible. EA just needs to spend a little money.

While that is somewhat true, I believe in RL ps4 and xbone players can be matched up with each other and pc players but you cannot party up with people outside your platform. So drop in games we'd see people from any and all platforms but eashl would have to be people from the same one on each team, unless ea actually tries hard to break the stupid boundaries that restrict cross platform play, which if they did would make them an awesome company.
  • The other problem is PC gamers usually don't buy yearly games the way console players do. As someone mentioned they'll play an NHL game for yeaea because they can update and mod it.

That is actually a negative for EA because they're selling less and less games every year.

If this series had the audience NBA 2K or FIFA does I'd have my pitch fork out as well. I'd love to not need my PS4. That said, NHL has a smaller fan base as a sport and as a videp game. That means they have a lower budget and smaller Dev team.

Adding PC to the mix would further strain already limited resources. Improve the game, grow the sport, and PC will eventually come. It took ages for the NFL and other pro sports to get this large, NHL just needs to keep plodding.
  • MadCard05 wrote: »
    The other problem is PC gamers usually don't buy yearly games the way console players do. As someone mentioned they'll play an NHL game for yeaea because they can update and mod it.

That is actually a negative for EA because they're selling less and less games every year.

If this series had the audience NBA 2K or FIFA does I'd have my pitch fork out as well. I'd love to not need my PS4. That said, NHL has a smaller fan base as a sport and as a videp game. That means they have a lower budget and smaller Dev team.

Adding PC to the mix would further strain already limited resources. Improve the game, grow the sport, and PC will eventually come. It took ages for the NFL and other pro sports to get this large, NHL just needs to keep plodding.

Again, these are poor excuses... If PC isn't planned to be bought every year due to mods and such then they could release it every 2 or 3 years. This is 2017 and there really is no logical reason not to have any given game on all available platforms, or at least on one of the consoles and also on PC.

No real problem if EA doesn't want to go on PC with this game. I have literally over 500 games to play so I don't need their game despite the fact I'd like to have it.
  • MadCard05 wrote: »
    The other problem is PC gamers usually don't buy yearly games the way console players do. As someone mentioned they'll play an NHL game for yeaea because they can update and mod it.

Again, these are poor excuses... If PC isn't planned to be bought every year due to mods and such then they could release it every 2 or 3 years. This is 2017 and there really is no logical reason not to have any given game on all available platforms, or at least on one of the consoles and also on PC.

No real problem if EA doesn't want to go on PC with this game. I have literally over 500 games to play so I don't need their game despite the fact I'd like to have it.

You can ignore the cold hard facts if you want to, that doesn't make them wrong. The truth doesn't change because of someone's opinion.

A lotvof people would like a PC version, including myself. There simply isn't enough of us the justify porting it to PC along with the other issues I mentioned. The Franchise shouldn't be damaged trying to force something that currently doesn't benefit the game in the current environment.
  • Cross platform might be the only viable way to get NHL back in pc
  • One of the things about PC was the 3rd party editor that allowed customization of players and settings to make simulation more realistic.. it also allowed us to create more than the unrealistic constraint of 100 players.
    But now the game play is as unrealistic as ever...
    Cross platform might be the only viable way to get NHL back in pc

Would love to see this happen. How long of a process would that take? Would it be something that would take longer than a single year development cycle to piece together and get approvals all around?
  • Approval imo would be the main set back .. then would be a stable port from one system.to the next
    Approval imo would be the main set back .. then would be a stable port from one system.to the next

Approval shouldn't even be an issue. Rocket League has cross platform, PUBG is getting cross platform. Unless of course you mean approval from corporate EA, then yea that's probably an issue.