EA Forums - Banner

BUYER BEWARE

Replies

• MadCard05 wrote: »
    What exactly is broken? You haven't told us anything.

Lots of lag in EASHL. It's been an issue for 4 years now; people deserve to know this before they spend $70.
    Shrugs. I rarely get lag in this game. Maybe your internet sucks?
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • Cogs just stop it man!

Input delay and TPS feeling like stuck in mud, turns/pivots getting crossed up, etc. are real things, ever since NHL 13 it's been a problem for me and many others, if you aren't affected just go in peace and be happy.
  • Janikka wrote: »
    The one thing that far exceeds the flaws of the game is the hyperbolic nature of the negativity on these forums. There are some real problems to the product. All these blatant exaggerations, like "the game has been broken for years", aren't helping.

If I can't play a game without lagging and the lag affects the game to the point that I don't want to play it, it's broken.

Furthermore, my internet is 50/15, 12ms latency, r7000 gaming router, open nat. The only game I experience lag in is NHL, for 4 years straight.

And to add to all of that, EA has said there is something wrong with their game that causes lag in EASHL, and they can't figure out how to fix it. Sounds pretty broken to me.
    The one thing that far exceeds the flaws of the game is the hyperbolic nature of the negativity on these forums. There are some real problems to the product. All these blatant exaggerations, like "the game has been broken for years", aren't helping.

* UNEDUCATED / IDIOTIC AI (turning their backs on an incoming pass, turning and going to the bench turning your 2 on 1 ADVANTAGE into a 1 on 1 crap shoot) has been a problem since I first noticed it in NHL13 OVP....that qualifies as a PROBLEM and something that HAS BEEN BROKEN FOR YEARS

* Poor Collision Detection (puck physically passing through skates, legs, sticks, goalie glove, goalie chest, goalie leg pads) has been a problem since I first noticed it in NHL13 GMC...that qualifies as a PROBLEM and something that HAS BEEN BROKEN FOR YEARS

* SEAMLESS Puck Pick Ups has been a problem since I first saw the Keystone Cops Comedy Troupe hour in NHL16 OVP....that qualifies as a PROBLEM and something that HAS BEEN BROKEN FOR the last 2 YEARS
  • They need to allow us to force the region/server. The matchmaking system is broken and will put you on the wrong server. Those games are super laggy and feel terrible. We have been saying this forever and EA has still not addressed this issue.

If I can't play a game without lagging and the lag affects the game to the point that I don't want to play it, it's broken.

Furthermore, my internet is 50/15, 12ms latency, r7000 gaming router, open nat. The only game I experience lag in is NHL, for 4 years straight.

And to add to all of that, EA has said there is something wrong with their game that causes lag in EASHL, and they can't figure out how to fix it. Sounds pretty broken to me.

All this...especially the bold-type part!!!

It's obvious that a lot of people who don't have any online problems with this game think it's "in their head." I've played this game long enough online to know when it works right and when it doesn't, and it doesn't really look different on the screen either way.

I'm sure that when things are working as intended it might look like you are a better player if you are just watching a video, just as when things don't work as intended it might look like you are playing with less skill.

The part that can't really be shown effectively is what you do on your controller compared to what actually plays out on the screen, and that's where most of the problems seem to be. Now if I'm wrong about not being able to show this in a video then by all means enlighten me.

Just make sure you provide a video though :P
  • I'm not saying some of these people are lying, I can only tell you the truth of my experiences. Online play is awesome. Lag? sometimes...same as bf1, elder scrolls, madden etc. The main issue nhl had was the goalie bumping against the post when a wide wrap-around play was being made and leaving the short side wide open. This was fixed! Check youtube. Also, please understand that if you do get that feeling where **** isn't right (slow response time with stick-lifts, checking,wrist shots)) not only should you just do a quick reset of your modem....make sure you are using a hard wired connection. Sometimes the servers are junk but when they are...i close app and come back in. no problems.
  • I'm not saying some of these people are lying, I can only tell you the truth of my experiences. Online play is awesome. Lag? sometimes...same as bf1, elder scrolls, madden etc. The main issue nhl had was the goalie bumping against the post when a wide wrap-around play was being made and leaving the short side wide open. This was fixed! Check youtube. Also, please understand that if you do get that feeling where **** isn't right (slow response time with stick-lifts, checking,wrist shots)) not only should you just do a quick reset of your modem....make sure you are using a hard wired connection. Sometimes the servers are junk but when they are...i close app and come back in. no problems.

I assure you all the tips were done years ago for me. I have even tried a list of modems, routers, and firmware for them. I even had every line replaced on my property since they were getting kind of dated anyways. ISP says signals/levels are all great.

Since this is the only form of broadband available here I'm not sure what else can be done.

I assure you all the tips were done years ago for me. I have even tried a list of modems, routers, and firmware for them. I even had every line replaced on my property since they were getting kind of dated anyways. ISP says signals/levels are all great.

Since this is the only form of broadband available here I'm not sure what else can be done.

This is where I agree with almost everyone on this forum. Online is trash in this game. There are the very small few who don't have any problems and power to them but the majority of users here have lag/input problems.

NHL is a fast game and it absolutely destroys this series online not being able to replicate the same skating as offline.
  • I will agree that something isn't quite right with the lag in not just EA NHL, but other EA Sports games as well. There is no reason Battlefield runs just fine at 40ms and under, with no noticeable lag, but the EA Sports titles don't.

Titles like Madden and NHL really allow you to feel the difference because of how much delay you get in certain situations really costing you in a sports title.

I'm not sure this problem can be laid at the feet of the NHL developers though, since it is a problem across multiple EA Sports games.
    Twitch: MadCard05
    Youtube: Madwolf Gaming
  • savatagion24
    137 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    I suspect that the people that say they never experience lag either don't play EASHL or they happen to live in a region that always has plenty of players online so they never get routed to a server in another region.

As for the people asking for video evidence of lag. Please... What, you want us to record entire games and somehow add commentary at every instance to tell you what we were actually doing with the controller at that moment? You want us to have someone video tape our controller movements and somehow overlay it with the game video? Give me a freakin' break. Those of you who keep saying this sound like an EA developer that has never actually played the game online (at least not EASHL). Consumers shouldn't be asked to be testers for a multi-billion dollar game company. This isn't an independent dev. They have plenty of resources and should be able to figure out a netcode that works all over the world. Otherwise, they should stop selling it outside NA (or outside specific markets).
  • https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/121402/how-i-fixed-my-lag-issues/p1

I've had severe issues with lag in past. After moving from an apartment with internet routing through one box for the whole building to a townhouse where the internet goes from the street directly to my house, replacing my commercial router with a more commercial one, and getting a new TV, my problems are mostly gone.

The game is night and day different. There are still enough issues in the game to fill up this forum with rants, but most of my bigger issues are gone. The fat man lag thing can not be seen in a video recorded on the console directly. No video will show that you know you started turning long before your player in the game did. No video will show that you weren't erratic on the LS but your player still spins in wild directions. No video will show you perfectly timed your hit, but the other guy never even registered you made contact.

Saying it is just a feeling isn't really the best way to phrase it because it sounds too wishy-washy. The proper phrasing is it needs to be experienced for yourself. If you aren't experiencing these issues, you probably won't be able to understand it.

Here are the types of lag I've experienced or heard other people describe:
    • Delay - Self-explanatory. This is like the home captain issue from a few years ago. This can be devastating in a game like this requiring quick reactions.
    • Stuttering - Again, self-explanatory. This is easier to overcome, but no fun.
    • Pauses/speed-ups - This may go buy a bunch of names, but it's when the game will pause for several seconds, then go super fast to catch up to "live". Super annoying, but not constant
    • Fat Man Lag - The absolute worst. There is a slight delay, not as bad as the home captain issue. It seems more like a sync issue, where the game is just not working right for you. Absolutely nothing works right. Skating is really slow. Slow acceleration, slow deceleration, slow turns, no agility, poke hardly works, stick lift hardly works, even standing in the way of the other player's stick won't always dislodge the puck.

Meanwhile, just skating by another player can dislodge the puck from your stick, there is no protecting it. On top of all this, your AI seems really off as well. They leave their positions too often for no reason, they bail on clear 2 on 1's, they try skating into you when you are carrying the puck, they refuse to go to open space for a pass and instead try to stand next to another AI teammate who is already covered, and on defense, they refuse to do anything to disrupt the play.

I've had this issue for years, and EA's network monitor had a perfectly stable 11ms delay, no packet loss, no jitter. I did all kinds of work to diagnose my problems. Everything checked out fine, I shouldn't have had any of the issues I did.

Put it this way, on one of my Xbox accounts, I went from having a 2-1 win ratio in VS to going 80-10 after I stopped having lag issues. The game is super easy without these problems. Imagine skating on dull blades, with a stick made of rubber, and teammates with the IQ of your average "SHOOOOOOOOOOOOT IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT" NHL fan. That's what playing the game with fat man lag is like.

• joefitz22 wrote: »
    Janikka wrote: »

* UNEDUCATED / **** AI (turning their backs on an incoming pass, turning and going to the bench turning your 2 on 1 ADVANTAGE into a 1 on 1 crap shoot) has been a problem since I first noticed it in NHL13 OVP....that qualifies as a PROBLEM and something that HAS BEEN BROKEN FOR YEARS

* Poor Collision Detection (puck physically passing through skates, legs, sticks, goalie glove, goalie chest, goalie leg pads) has been a problem since I first noticed it in NHL13 GMC...that qualifies as a PROBLEM and something that HAS BEEN BROKEN FOR YEARS

* SEAMLESS Puck Pick Ups has been a problem since I first saw the Keystone Cops Comedy Troupe hour in NHL16 OVP....that qualifies as a PROBLEM and something that HAS BEEN BROKEN FOR the last 2 YEARS

You just listed some problems with the game that I know exist. Hell, I could list a good deal more since I've put countless hours into EASHL and versus since NHL 09. That doesn't mean the entire game is broken. A game-breaking problem is on another level, and NHL currently doesn't have one of those. By your logic, something like Playerunknown's Battlegrounds is entirely broken because it has a bunch of issues at this point. Yet people are playing it and successfully completing match after match, as they are with NHL, since there aren't any actual game-breaking problems.

If your online modes lag so bad that they're not playable, those modes are broken for you personally and for everyone else with that problem. I'll give you all that.

I've had severe issues with lag in past. After moving from an apartment with internet routing through one box for the whole building to a townhouse where the internet goes from the street directly to my house, replacing my commercial router with a more commercial one, and getting a new TV, my problems are mostly gone.

The game is night and day different. There are still enough issues in the game to fill up this forum with rants, but most of my bigger issues are gone. The fat man lag thing can not be seen in a video recorded on the console directly. No video will show that you know you started turning long before your player in the game did. No video will show that you weren't erratic on the LS but your player still spins in wild directions. No video will show you perfectly timed your hit, but the other guy never even registered you made contact.

Saying it is just a feeling isn't really the best way to phrase it because it sounds too wishy-washy. The proper phrasing is it needs to be experienced for yourself. If you aren't experiencing these issues, you probably won't be able to understand it.

• Delay - Self-explanatory. This is like the home captain issue from a few years ago. This can be devastating in a game like this requiring quick reactions.
    • Pauses/speed-ups - This may go buy a bunch of names, but it's when the game will pause for several seconds, then go super fast to catch up to "live". Super annoying, but not constant
    • Fat Man Lag - The absolute worst. There is a slight delay, not as bad as the home captain issue. It seems more like a sync issue, where the game is just not working right for you. Absolutely nothing works right. Skating is really slow. Slow acceleration, slow deceleration, slow turns, no agility, poke hardly works, stick lift hardly works, even standing in the way of the other player's stick won't always dislodge the puck.

Meanwhile, just skating by another player can dislodge the puck from your stick, there is no protecting it. On top of all this, your AI seems really off as well. They leave their positions too often for no reason, they bail on clear 2 on 1's, they try skating into you when you are carrying the puck, they refuse to go to open space for a pass and instead try to stand next to another AI teammate who is already covered, and on defense, they refuse to do anything to disrupt the play.

I've had this issue for years, and EA's network monitor had a perfectly stable 11ms delay, no packet loss, no jitter. I did all kinds of work to diagnose my problems. Everything checked out fine, I shouldn't have had any of the issues I did.

Put it this way, on one of my Xbox accounts, I went from having a 2-1 win ratio in VS to going 80-10 after I stopped having lag issues. The game is super easy without these problems. Imagine skating on dull blades, with a stick made of rubber, and teammates with the IQ of your average "SHOOOOOOOOOOOOT IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT" NHL fan. That's what playing the game with fat man lag is like.

That is probably the best explanation I've seen regarding this game-breaking issue. If EA could/would ever figure it out this would be a whole new game for me...and many others.

That is probably the best explanation I've seen regarding this game-breaking issue. If EA could/would ever figure it out this would be a whole new game for me...and many others.

If you read what Seth is saying it was on his end.
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • COGSx86 wrote: »

Yeah guys, what's the problem? Just move to a different house, buy a new router, and new tv. Boom. Fixed!
  • COGSx86 wrote: »

Yeah guys, what's the problem? Just move to a different house, buy a new router, and new tv. Boom. Fixed!

I am surprised EA doesn't have a special edition for $400,000.
  • dannovision
    76 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    COGSx86 wrote: »

Haha. Sounds like Seth had a whole lot of other issues going on because even if you did all that you're still gonna end up with EA's crummy servers/routing/matchmaking/netcode.

There's something broken within the game that the NHL team can't fix either because they aren't smart enough or aren't putting enough resources into it.

I'm not buying the game this year because of this. The reason I still post on here is because:
    A ) This issue needs to be addressed so that I can play this game again someday
    B ) Potential customers should know about this issue before they spend $70
    joefitz22 wrote: »
    Janikka wrote: »

* UNEDUCATED / **** AI (turning their backs on an incoming pass, turning and going to the bench turning your 2 on 1 ADVANTAGE into a 1 on 1 crap shoot) has been a problem since I first noticed it in NHL13 OVP....that qualifies as a PROBLEM and something that HAS BEEN BROKEN FOR YEARS

A game-breaking problem is on another level, and NHL currently doesn't have one of those. By your logic, something like Playerunknown's Battlegrounds is entirely broken because it has a bunch of issues at this point. Yet people are playing it and successfully completing match after match, as they are with NHL, since there aren't any actual game-breaking problems.

If your online modes lag so bad that they're not playable, those modes are broken for you personally and for everyone else with that problem. I'll give you all that.

I don't play PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds so I can't comment on its issues but that game is still in early release. The full version doesn't even come out till the end of the year. NHL 15, 16, 17, and 18 were all released as full versions with broken online play out of the box and they had no problem charging $60-$70 despite knowing of these issues.

This is almost perfect. You forget that every time you aim your pass, it's off by 15 degrees. Any passing game goes straight down the drain. Realistically I have a 50-3-0 record in online VS (it's actually 50-6-0 but I've disconnected a few times) and two of those losses were due to fat man lag against poor players, and 1 loss I actually agree it was pretty close and they edged out. There have been games where I play terrible players and I notice fat man lag and I'm thinking to myself, "This game could be 9-0 for me right now but instead it's 2-2 heading into the third". And likewise there's games where I can't control my damn defense and I think "Wow this kid is good. I know I'm lagging but holy dyna this guy is making my defenders look silly" and I have a 0.85 GAA in VS. Then after the win I look and check out this guy's record, assuming he'll be like 80-12-4 and his record is something gross like "124-162-12" and then I have to think back and analyze, "Oh yeah, my poke checks didn't work, I couldn't control my defensive skating, my players wouldn't break out of the zone, my passes were way off, I couldn't dislodge the puck and I struggled picking the puck up".

I actually used to play a super team-oriented passing style back when I was consistently top 100 in the VS leaderboards from 09-12, and then ever since the servers and the passing got re-worked I've had to learn to be super selfish in order to win games. I've learned to cheat the hitting system by basically allowing my guy to be hit along the boards and still regain possession of it because I'm staying at slow speeds and stupid trash like that to win games, which isn't right. All of the best VS players in this game are extremely selfish, only pass when needed type players.

The fat man lag can make you rage like crazy.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!