EA Forums - Banner

NHL 18 is it worth buying?

Hi Everyone, I have been buying nhl since the early days and I mean the early days however I've become a bit disillusioned with it since all the PS4 NHL versions have been lacking somewhat.

I felt NHL17 was pretty poor and I particularly can't stand cheating AI that make it look so obvious, I play offline.
I'm all up for a bit of competitive gaming, matter of fact I love it when the games are close but I can't stand the way the Ai determines the outcome of a game by handicapping my goaltender so he lets the basic of saves go in, working hard down the ice to score and the ai keeper saves everything yet the cpu team go down the other end and my goalie lets in consistent cheesy goals, I can forgive the CPU doing some of the things I can't do but the goaltenders have ruined this game for the last few years.

Also the last 2 years passing has been abysmal, hits as well when you flatten the CPu player by the boards and he gets right up with the puck.

the above are the things that really annoy me and ruined it so i was hoping some of these issues have been rectified for NHL18?

does the game flow well or are you fighting to control players like last year?

Replies

• honestly, yes and no. depends what style of gameplay you play.

• I've just read some other threads and also some reviews online and people aren't exactly enamoured with NHL 18, so perhaps I'll skip this year, I just want a solid hockey game, Not one I have to consistently adjust sliders to get an okay game and it still has all the things that were wrong last year and the year before...
  • THE ONLY REASON I buy this game each year is to play with my friends. I would rather be playing nhl 14
  • honestly ive played a few online games... there seems to be a sync issue (see video above) that hass happened in the majority of the games ive played, sure it will be fixed in the next patch.

other than that ive been having fun with it.

Now ive been mostly playing Be a Pro and i can say for once ive been having alot of fun with it personally. The AI is well improved when it comes to desicion making. i havent found myself yelling profanitys at them as of yet.

Also the goalie be a pro is more enjoyable because the AI shoots on you more. they dont wait for the perfect shot anymore as i like to say. last year id go a whole game facing maybe 10-15 shots now im facing that a period so its more enjoyable.

ive bought the game every year at launch since probably 11... theres usually always server issues at the start as with any games now adays so i wouldnt put the game down to much for that.
  • Can't say be a PRO was a problem anyway, I never noticed AI issues on be a pro, Franchise and Season was where all the issues were occurring on previous NHL games, so it would be interesting to know if others are having a good or bad experience.
  • THE ONLY REASON I buy this game each year is to play with my friends. I would rather be playing nhl 14

Is NHL 14 better than 13? I just picked up 14 for 3.50 shipped off ebay for the heck of it.
  • kezz123
    653 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Chud369 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone, I have been buying nhl since the early days and I mean the early days however I've become a bit disillusioned with it since all the PS4 NHL versions have been lacking somewhat.

I felt NHL17 was pretty poor and I particularly can't stand cheating AI that make it look so obvious, I play offline.
    I'm all up for a bit of competitive gaming, matter of fact I love it when the games are close but I can't stand the way the Ai determines the outcome of a game by handicapping my goaltender so he lets the basic of saves go in, working hard down the ice to score and the ai keeper saves everything yet the cpu team go down the other end and my goalie lets in consistent cheesy goals, I can forgive the CPU doing some of the things I can't do but the goaltenders have ruined this game for the last few years.

Also the last 2 years passing has been abysmal, hits as well when you flatten the CPu player by the boards and he gets right up with the puck.

the above are the things that really annoy me and ruined it so i was hoping some of these issues have been rectified for NHL18?

does the game flow well or are you fighting to control players like last year?

I played Beta but pretty much the reason I stopped playing beta after a few games and reason im skipping again this year in in LARGE part because its still fighting to control your player like last few years. Basically feels like playing at timbit level of hockey again. Im a terrible skater IRL but I pivot where I want and I can stop and go without feeling like im stuck in mud so yah...no thanks playing a game that has skating worse off than my mediocre skating ability.

When you stop and look at how goals are scored, you almost always notice some terrible skating / movement that lead to it. it makes for really really unrealistic and crappy looking goals.

Is NHL 14 better than 13? I just picked up 14 for 3.50 shipped off ebay for the heck of it.

14 has tps. id say 11 or maybe 12. Personally I think they hit bullseye with 11.
    Its just hard to go back to those controls and graphics now but as far as gameplay...it was the best.
  • kezz123 wrote: »
    THE ONLY REASON I buy this game each year is to play with my friends. I would rather be playing nhl 14

14 has tps. id say 11 or maybe 12. Personally I think they hit bullseye with 11.
    Its just hard to go back to those controls and graphics now but as far as gameplay...it was the best.

I really like how the tps works in 13 and saw 14 dirt cheap on ebay and figured I'd give it a shot as it's the most modern version I can play. Other than 15 but I heard that's missing tons of features.

I always thought a lot of complaints about tps are users not knowing how to use it combined with taking control of a player and going against their movement causing issues. If I player lock I have no problem ever because I always know how I'm skating and how to manipulate the controls to pivot how and where I want.
  • djneohockey
    732 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    If you thinking about purchasing the NHL 18 for not cheating AI then unfortunately no, it's the same as been before.
    It's obvious especially with their passing tendencies and abilities.
    Higher difficulty you use, more obvious it is that AI can see and do things that humans can't.
  • no. the game is awful. we got nhl THREES instead of an EASHL practice mode is there anything else left to say?
  • If you have an eashl squad, it's an easy buy.

The ai in eashl is much improved, most notably their ability to keep the puck inside the offensive zone.

All the same go to goals are still there, normal poke is incredibly overpowered, game desyncs are happening. I hate EA for their efforts, but I love the game for existing.
    EASHL player
  • kezz123 wrote: »
    THE ONLY REASON I buy this game each year is to play with my friends. I would rather be playing nhl 14

I really like how the tps works in 13 and saw 14 dirt cheap on ebay and figured I'd give it a shot as it's the most modern version I can play. Other than 15 but I heard that's missing tons of features.

I always thought a lot of complaints about tps are users not knowing how to use it combined with taking control of a player and going against their movement causing issues. If I player lock I have no problem ever because I always know how I'm skating and how to manipulate the controls to pivot how and where I want.

Some people liked 14 more than 13 but I hated 14 more than 13 and 13 more than 10-12

I play D and I play eashl so it may make a difference to you if you plan to play offline and offense.

I also think that offline, the TPS is much less impactful than online because players have higher movement attributes which seems to ease up the tps gripes a bit. Plus you wont need control vision since you wont control the one character only which is a huge problem combined with tps.

• Id say yes, I am having fun with it. The DSS for me is huge. Its the best out of the games released on the xbox one / ps4 gen. It still has its problems though
    EA SPORTS Challenge Series Finalist - Nobounds

• I downloaded 2K basketball last night.

after messing with 2k basketball today..... makes me sad for the state of the hockey series today.

:|

• RSall14
    613 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    kezz123 wrote: »

Don't forget the garbage known as auto dekes was introduced in 14.
    Post edited by RSall14 on
  • I downloaded 2K basketball last night.

after messing with 2k basketball today..... makes me sad for the state of the hockey series today.

Except for the part where you can't play pro am with your friends because they live in a different time zone. Or the absolute insane grind to get your player to even be average.
  • This game is very fun. If you like competition then the online competitive mode is the right mode for you.
    Madden fan since 93.
  • BoboFloggins
    2170 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    I downloaded 2K basketball last night.

Except for the part where you can't play pro am with your friends because they live in a different time zone. Or the absolute insane grind to get your player to even be average.

Haven't had the time zone issue, yet.

Second part, well to each er' own I guess.

I stand by what I said. Looking at the two... just lord man. This franchise has some serious dust on it.