EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th

Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

Curbing EASHL drop-in quitters

Hi everyone,

I’m a computer programmer and a passionate hockey fan. I’m trying to figure out the best way to reduce quitters in EASHL drop-ins. I view this as a huge problem, because it’s the opposite of what drop-ins are for. If we want to play computers with a custom character, we can just play be-a-pro.

I feel like most serious competitive games, including e-sports, implement a system that prevents the quitter from playing another game until the game that they quit out of ends. This, in my opinion, is more sensible than other posited solutions, such as making the computer skaters/goalie horrifically bad, or raising the minimum human players, because those systems focus on the players remaining in the game, instead of focusing on the player doing the quitting. It’d be like if the police tried to make victims’ lives easier instead of trying to stop the criminal in the first place.

I’m hoping that a CONSTRUCTIVE discussion will get the developers’ attention, and solutions must be easily implementable, because the developers are busy enough.

Thanks!

Replies

• How about this: You can't join another game unless the game you were playing in is over.

If by some bad stroke of luck you get disconnected, you should be able to connect back into that game and into that exact same position.

It's an easy fix that I've been pitching for YEARS, but EA is clueless and spends half their resources on adding crap like mascots and "threes" that nobody asked for, and are ignoring the main issues PLAGUING this game which is killing the entire community.

Clearly NOONE on the EA NHL team actually plays this game and it's obvious.
  • That’s a great idea, about offering a one-time reconnection opportunity. I agree the most sensible way is to block the quitter until the games over.
  • zingaa1
    402 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    I understand where you're coming from, but I've seen such bad forwards in dropin that there is no way I'm gonna stick out 3 periods with them, these guys couldn't score if the team had no goalie. In addition to that, players lag out, happens all the time and that wouldn't be fair if they had to sit and wait because the game lagged out...imao

dropinforwards areawful
    Post edited by zingaa1 on
  • zingaa1 wrote: »
    I understand where you're coming from, but I've seen such bad forwards in dropin that there is now way I'm gonna stick out 3 periods with them, these guys couldn't score if the team had no goalie. In addition to that, players lag out, happens all the time and that wouldn't be fair if they had to sit and wait because the game lagged out...imao

dropinforwards areawful

Yeah buddy, I feel you there. I play goalie and it’s the same with defensemen.

I’ve found that a more holistic approach to teamplay can make up for issues like you brought up. For instance, a vote-to-kick system would help with scrubs ruining the game. And previously mentioned, a player who either quit or is dropped can have the one-time, limited-time opportunity to rejoin the same game at the same position. What do you think?
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2403 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    If my forwards can't muster up a single shot on goal or any time on attack ... and my C clearly doesn't know how to take draws ... I quit. Nothing fun about playing for the tie. Not in drop in. Eventually one will get through. I'll take the L either way but at least this saves me some time.
  • Also, not sure what is up with ai goalies, 5 shots 5 goals, some leak like a sieve
  • Guess what? Plenty of other games do this. Csgo, rocket league, escape from tarkov, pubg. Probably more they all allow you to reconnect to the game if you drop out. Some have a punishment for quitters. Csgo you get a varying level of ban. Tarkov you lose all your gear, which is the same punishment as dying during a raid. Afaik rocket league has no punishment other than the loss for abandoning a ranked match,and I know pubg has none.

However all of that said you guys are talking about casual play not ranked play. The way that I see to fix it is to be more like rocket league's casual play. People can drop in and out of a server all the time. Once you join a server you can stay on it continually playing games. One game finishes, you go to the end game lobby for a minute and then the next game begins, unless everyone readies up faster. If people quit you wait for more to join and keep going. People can hop in and out during games and it works very well.
    Steam: Dinkus The Stinkus https://kek.gg/u/32_H7
  • savatagion24
    137 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Blocking someone who quits from playing until the game is over would mean that if you're playing a drop-in and your club mates come online, they all have to wait for your game to end whether you quit or not. Instead, I would like them to make these games a real "Drop In" so that if someone quits, another human player can take their spot (just like in real drop-ins).
  • Blocking someone who quits from playing until the game is over would mean that if you're playing a drop-in and your club mates come online, they all have to wait for your game to end whether you quit or not. Instead, I would like them to make these games a real "Drop In" so that if someone quits, another human player can take their spot (just like in real drop-ins).

Maybe to avoid that problem, the quitter would still have to wait for another drop in, but would not have to wait to start a club match.

About your other thought: i don’t think it would make sense to let others join mid-game because then the leaderboards would be ruined (not that they’re much good now).
  • It's called drop in for a reason, start a club if your not happy.
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • I like that this is being discussed, but I'd be pretty pissed if I couldn't connect to my next drop-in because I was forced to quit my previous game over some numb-nuts griefing bluelines, shooting on his own net, not passing etc. I'm already choked enough over having to give up CR because of some other idiot.

Maybe if you quit too soon, grief others, play well below expectations, etc. they force you to sit on the bench for 5min either in the game you are in or the next. Maybe some would think twice before quitting rather than looking like a **** to your peers by starting the following game riding the pine for 25% of the 1st period.
  • Blocking someone who quits from playing until the game is over would mean that if you're playing a drop-in and your club mates come online, they all have to wait for your game to end whether you quit or not. Instead, I would like them to make these games a real "Drop In" so that if someone quits, another human player can take their spot (just like in real drop-ins).

This is what I said. Drop in and out of the drop in games at will.

However if you quit or in another way leave a club match you can either rejoin that match or receive a ban from any and all online play for x amount of time based on how often you quit from ranked matches.
    Steam: Dinkus The Stinkus https://kek.gg/u/32_H7
  • I definitely feel there should be a time ban. Ten minutes. Enough to irritate you so you can't play right away and forcing others to wait (not long if your boys are just forming up, ten minutes is usually how long it takes to gather up everybody anyways) and it's time saving if you don't want to stay in the game.

As a goalie, you shouldn't be able to quit a game just because your team sucks with no repercussions.

However, there needs to be a vote-kicking and more anti-griefing methods (if you score on your own net twice in a game, you get banned for 30 minutes).

It'd also balance out the leaderboards for goalies a bit.
  • I definitely feel there should be a time ban. Ten minutes. Enough to irritate you so you can't play right away and forcing others to wait (not long if your boys are just forming up, ten minutes is usually how long it takes to gather up everybody anyways) and it's time saving if you don't want to stay in the game.

As a goalie, you shouldn't be able to quit a game just because your team sucks with no repercussions.

However, there needs to be a vote-kicking and more anti-griefing methods (if you score on your own net twice in a game, you get banned for 30 minutes).

It'd also balance out the leaderboards for goalies a bit.

I love it. I said earlier in the thread about a holistic system, meaning that it’s not fair to punish all quitters without also adding anti-griefing measures like vote-to-kick. The entire point is to make a system that’s more fair and more effective than the complete free-for-all that exists now.

And to everyone saying “Dudebroman if you have a problem with it then go play <insert game mode>: don’t bother writing here. Just mentally agree to disagree and move on to the next thread. Thanks!
  • That wont work lol. Quit to go eat supper because I have a league or club game soon only to find out I can't play bcz some game I quit a 1/2 hour ago is in triple OT. maybe a -30 cr for quitting.. but man who cares about dropin?