EA Forums - Banner

EASHL skating is terrible

Prev13456710
Can't tell if it's the skating engine or the attributes but can't pivot or skate ar all with a puck moving defenseman. It's even slower than in the beta

Games are like bumper cars with players running into each other, missing blatant puck pickups, and spinning in circles across the ice. What the hell is this garbage..

Replies

• Forgot to mention I'm running on 13 MS. It's not lag.
  • Momentum and physics are involved. Good luck!
  • Momentum and physics are involved. Good luck!

"Momentum" "physics"
  • I loved skating with tps in nhl 13 and it's not bad in 14 either. There's a learning curve for sure and if you are in the mindset that it's "broken" you will never be able to learn to use it to your advantage.

Change your perspective and be open to learning something new. Practice it. I use lots of presses of the trigger on defense to control the pivots and momentum.
  • OvenMitts91
    66 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    How do you use lots of presses of the trigger on defense to control pivots when you don't own the game or a console to play it on?

TPS was fine in NHL 13-14. Since "next gen" it's been an utter abomination and clearly the number one complaint among the community. As game speed has declined in EASHL, the size of the dedicated player base has declined in tandem. The correlation is pretty strong, but for some reason we get a slower, clunkier game every year.

What's the harm in the dev team cranking up the game speed and agility slider in EASHL for a night or two to see what the reaction is from the community? If the game plays like a mess, revert back, if the reception is largely positive, keep the speed up. There's literally no risk to running this kind of test.
  • I have nhl 13 and 14 and a 360...

Current gen TPS plays much worse than 13 and 14. I never had a problem with it in 13 and 14, I still had tons of control over my player as opposed to now.
  • OvenMitts91
    66 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    LOL if current gen skating was remotely close to as agile/ fast as 13 and 14 people wouldn't be complaining nearly as much. They are nothing alike. 13 and 14 are like driving a Ferrari relative to the Dodge Caravan that is the current Xbone/PS4 skating engine.
  • RSall14 wrote: »
    I have nhl 13 and 14 and a 360...

Current gen TPS plays much worse than 13 and 14. I never had a problem with it in 13 and 14, I still had tons of control over my player as opposed to now.

Same here. I actually liked the fact you gained more control in glide than in sprint, where the **** has that gone now? No agility or accerlation in the skating whatsoever. Zero fell of control. Can't gain edge to bad positioning/playing defender and everyone skates the same slow pace, except the ridiculous catch up speed in breakaways..
  • everyone skates the same slow pace, except the ridiculous catch up speed in breakaways..
    Not saying your totally wrong, but part of the reason people get caught from behind on breakaways is because good defenders almost never use the hustle button unless absolutely necessary. This means they have a lot more in the tank because most forwards use it way too much.
  • Lol, glad I only have the 360 and a pc then. If the skating is that bad then it makes everything worse imo.
  • LOL if current gen skating was remotely close to as agile/ fast as 13 and 14 people wouldn't be complaining nearly as much. They are nothing alike. 13 and 14 are like driving a Ferrari relative to the Dodge Caravan that is the current Xbone/PS4 skating engine.

meh i know a lot of you guys liked 13 and 14 but for me that was the beginning of the end. they killed vision control in 13 and made LT a skate backwards button. like i've been preaching for years, TPS was nothing more than them increasing the radius of the skate blades under the hood and the LT garbage. although i learned some LT tricks over the years i would much prefer the old vision control that squared you to the puck.

• nhl 14/15 (on previous gen) skating engine combined with a vision control that actually faced the puck when you didn't have it, or skated backwards when you did, would be FAR superior to what you have today.

IMO they took a bad skating engine that you could deal with in 17 and somehow made it worse in 18. that being said it's not even close to being the biggest problem with this game, its everything else. for me its the frustration that they keep ignoring all the little things that need improving and they keep **** with what works and making it garbage.

LOL. Yeah they're absolutely completely different
  • I do love you who say, "I miss the vision control that just makes you face the puck." to me that takes any skill out of positioning and squaring up to the play/puck on your own. I agree the skating isn't the best but having to just press and hold one button to do a task we now have to do for ourselves to me is wrong.

Maybe it's totally broken on next gen but on 360 especially when standing still you can turn and continue to face the play by lightly using the stick and knowing when and for how long to press the trigger. It's not exactly easy like it is in real life but this is a game sometimes things become easier in games and sometimes they become harder for balance and to add another skill element to it.
  • How do you use lots of presses of the trigger on defense to control pivots when you don't own the game or a console to play it on?

TPS was fine in NHL 13-14. Since "next gen" it's been an utter abomination and clearly the number one complaint among the community. As game speed has declined in EASHL, the size of the dedicated player base has declined in tandem. The correlation is pretty strong, but for some reason we get a slower, clunkier game every year.

What's the harm in the dev team cranking up the game speed and agility slider in EASHL for a night or two to see what the reaction is from the community? If the game plays like a mess, revert back, if the reception is largely positive, keep the speed up. There's literally no risk to running this kind of test.

I have been saying this since the abomination that was NHL 17 was released. Why have we not tried this yet? Who **** knows.

This is beyond aggravating that they have the ability to REALLY fine tune the games skating to our preferences and needs but they refuse to try it out and gauge our reactions. We are literally beating a dead horse at this point it feels.
  • I do love you who say, "I miss the vision control that just makes you face the puck." to me that takes any skill out of positioning and squaring up to the play/puck on your own. I agree the skating isn't the best but having to just press and hold one button to do a task we now have to do for ourselves to me is wrong.

Maybe it's totally broken on next gen but on 360 especially when standing still you can turn and continue to face the play by lightly using the stick and knowing when and for how long to press the trigger. It's not exactly easy like it is in real life but this is a game sometimes things become easier in games and sometimes they become harder for balance and to add another skill element to it.
    Really? I didn’t realize that squaring up to the play/facing the puck was a skill that only elite NHL players were capable of. This is something even pee wee players can do without thinking.

Stop commenting on a game that you haven’t even played. You can talk about last gen skating and VC all you want. Stuff actually worked for the most part then. It’s a disaster now.

I want hockey IQ to be the determining factor in a games outcome, not who wins the battle with their controller or who has a better online connection.

• Didn't catch the part, "sometimes things in games become harder than in real life."?
  • Things become harder than in real life, in this case, because of poor implementation. It does nothing to add balance to the game.

The VC aspect is turning something that is not skill into one.
  • kezz123
    600 posts Member
    edited September 2017

Games are like bumper cars with players running into each other.

OMG
    there we go. Finally a way to describe the entire feel of NHL.
    In their quest for hockey simulation, they managed bumper car simulation.....with sticks and a puck. Its EXACTLY the feeling of the game and its also why 99.9% of replays of goals look horrid to watch.

Thank you for this.