EA Forums - Banner

EASHL skating is terrible

Replies

• I've been saying all this for years now, the tps, the junk connection quality, the horrendously awful input responsiveness, mixed up servers, etc. I knew this game was on a steep decline hella years ago and that's why I wanted to be a gamechanger so bad. This was hands down my favorite game series in the 09-13 years. Eashl is a shell of its former self now.

Next to tps (and imo just the overall unresponsiveness of the game) The other biggest issue that made people stop playing and leave this series was the introduction of pre built skater builds. The grind was correctly eliminated, but everyone should have got the same amount of points to spend on your created player upon starting up the game. You can argue all you want but this statement is 100% true, nobody who didn't play NHL before, picked up the game specifically because of the pre build builds, but lots of people quit playing because of it.
  • I've been saying all this for years now, the tps, the junk connection quality, the horrendously awful input responsiveness, mixed up servers, etc. I knew this game was on a steep decline hella years ago and that's why I wanted to be a gamechanger so bad. This was hands down my favorite game series in the 09-13 years. Eashl is a shell of its former self now.

Yep, until EA fixes the skating, they'll be lucky for me to spend $30 on this game when the price inevitably drops. The problem is that for the first month or so, most people are still matching up against teams in lower divisions because it takes a few dozen games to actually make it to the top divisions, and it feels good to win games because you're winning mostly because you're playing so much better than an average player. After a few weeks, most people are playing somewhat evenly matched games, which is where the EA RNG goalies, TPS slowness, and connection issues start deciding games between otherwise evenly matched players.

Seriously, how does EA get away with basic movement in the game being this bad for this many years? I have to concentrate more on skating in this game than I do in real life hockey, and still find myself making bad pivots and not facing the play in the game. Fixing the skating and AI goalies in this game would go very far in bringing back the joy and excitement to the game.
  • When there is no lag, the skating is pretty realistic. You can feel the physics and momentum.
    I like it. You can see the difference between players that understand it and those that do not.
    Or...those that have a good connection and those that do not.
    I'm still on a dial up modem...it's tough...but I've learned to adapt.

• RichardDick
    74 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    When there is no lag, the skating is pretty realistic. You can feel the physics and momentum.
    I like it. You can see the difference between players that understand it and those that do not.
    The skating is not realistic at all. Yes you can feel the momentum, but it’s overdone.
    Facing the puck is a crapshoot.
    Players turn the wrong way constantly.
    Acceleration from a stop is way too slow.
    Small movements at low speed are the hardest part of skating when they should be simple.
    It’s better offline but still not a very good representation of NHL caliber skating. It’s manageable at best.
    Post edited by RichardDick on
  • When there is no lag, the skating is pretty realistic. You can feel the physics and momentum.

I don't think anyone is saying that you can't adapt and be relatively successful at the game though. I'd bet the majority of people on the forum are in the top 3 divisions in whatever mode they play, and have adapted to the game as it has changed. The problem is that once you're to the point that you're playing matches against equally skilled opponents, AI issues (goalies and skaters) and brief TPS issues seem to have as much of an impact on the outcome as your actual skill and ability to make plays. I have adapted, and it means that the games I win and lose are often determined by how well those mechanics work for that game, and I hate it.

One goal where your goalie puts it into his own net or TPS doesn't quite let you get into the position you wanted to stop the play is huge in a game between evenly matched players. Inconsistent mechanics lead to all of the frustration with ice-tilt, connection issues, spiderman and sieve goalies, and so many other areas. As much as I used to hate players scoring on toe-drag wrist shots, I feel it was actually better then because you didn't have golden chances saved by AI goalies that keep their team in it and then letting a pass from the faceoff go between their legs at the other end.
  • It's not perfect but it's pretty clear ea is not dropping it any time soon but because of how a business works and the fact that they look at "are we making profit" not "are we getting bad reviews" as long as you all keep buying it they will think they are doing well.

Complacency leads to stagnation.

If the skating was realistic offline, Ryan Suter and many other all-star caliber players would be able to face the pouck when they want too. That is not the case oflline or online. The skating is marginally more realistic than the old skating engine, and the hockey played due to this new, "realistic" skating is actually less realistic.

Not buying what you're selling, man.
  • This is just a really really really bad game and direction for this series. Just sucks for us old timers who grew up with the series that we can no longer have a fun hockey video game to pass our time with.
  • It's never been as good as it was pre-tps. It was such a fun game back then, so many people I know stopped playing since then.
  • The thing is, this series went from unrealistic but fun to still unrealistic, but not fun. It’s frustrating. From top to bottom the word that comes to mind first is frustrating.

Laggy menu’s - frustrating.
    extremely slow turning at a stand still - frustrating.
    Poke checks going through the back of your legs to knock the puck loose - frustrating.
    Clean poke attempts to the front of a puck carrier missing for no reason or barley dislodging the puck so they get it back right away - frustrating
    Destroying some guy with a body check and he still gets up and regains the puck first - frustrating
    Terrible line changing logic - frustrating
    Can’t choose the server you want to play on for EASHL - frustrating

I could really go on for ever. The point is clear. Too much frustration, not enough fun. Skating is a perfect example of that.

Yes, we all wanted a better skating engine before TPS. This is not better. There is still figure skating. There is still unrealistic moves, and now there are more limitations.

• The thing that hurts TPS most is LAG!!!!
    I don't lag much, but when it happens controlling the skater is difficult.
    When there's no lag the skating is actually pretty good and way more realistic than pre TPS.

I like the momentum factor. It's a game within itself knowing when to speed burst...when to just glide...when to backskate...when to just turn and burn...etc..
    It actually takes skill to be a good skater.
    Just like real life....some are better at it than others.
    Like I said, I think real root of the frustration is lag.
    The "floating" skating of the old days was silly.
  • MartinScoresEZ
    42 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    I do love you who say, "I miss the vision control that just makes you face the puck." to me that takes any skill out of positioning and squaring up to the play/puck on your own. I agree the skating isn't the best but having to just press and hold one button to do a task we now have to do for ourselves to me is wrong.

Maybe it's totally broken on next gen but on 360 especially when standing still you can turn and continue to face the play by lightly using the stick and knowing when and for how long to press the trigger. It's not exactly easy like it is in real life but this is a game sometimes things become easier in games and sometimes they become harder for balance and to add another skill element to it.

Takes the skill out of squaring up to the puck??? Now you do realize that doing that in real life takes literally ZERO skill and could not be any simpler to do right?? It shouldn't be a tough task to do in a video game.
  • kezz123
    600 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    The thing is, this series went from unrealistic but fun to still unrealistic, but not fun. It’s frustrating. From top to bottom the word that comes to mind first is frustrating.
    [
    Poke checks going through the back of your legs to knock the puck loose - frustrating.
    Clean poke attempts to the front of a puck carrier missing for no reason or barley dislodging the puck so they get it back right away - frustrating
    Destroying some guy with a body check and he still gets up and regains the puck first - frustrating

I could really go on for ever. The point is clear. Too much frustration, not enough fun. Skating is a perfect example of that.

Yes, we all wanted a better skating engine before TPS. This is not better. There is still figure skating. There is still unrealistic moves, and now there are more limitations.

Bold part /thread
  • xxH3llsp4wNxx
    253 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Forum is dead, club is dead, game is dead. They should have just let eashl die after leaving it out of NHL 15.
    When there's no lag the skating is actually pretty good and way more realistic than pre TPS.

I like the momentum factor. It's a game within itself knowing when to speed burst...when to just glide...when to backskate...when to just turn and burn...etc..

Yes, it was silly and not fun at all.
    I too agree tho that TPS is not very well done engine. I think overall movement, not just skating is awfully dated and not really realistic most of the time.
    Just look how the goalies animates. It's quite ridiculous.
    Not talking that every skater feels the same.
  • kezz123 wrote: »
    The thing is, this series went from unrealistic but fun to still unrealistic, but not fun. It’s frustrating. From top to bottom the word that comes to mind first is frustrating.
    [

Bold part /thread

Downloaded the game today..... two club games and one threes played...... shut it off.....Seth nailed my sentiments exactly
  • I do love you who say, "I miss the vision control that just makes you face the puck." to me that takes any skill out of positioning and squaring up to the play/puck on your own. I agree the skating isn't the best but having to just press and hold one button to do a task we now have to do for ourselves to me is wrong.

Maybe it's totally broken on next gen but on 360 especially when standing still you can turn and continue to face the play by lightly using the stick and knowing when and for how long to press the trigger. It's not exactly easy like it is in real life but this is a game sometimes things become easier in games and sometimes they become harder for balance and to add another skill element to it.

Takes the skill out of squaring up to the puck??? Now you do realize that doing that in real life takes literally ZERO skill and could not be any simpler to do right?? It shouldn't be a tough task to do in a video game.

So, controlling a human body with a joystick should somehow be just as easy as controlling it with a human brain? It's the same as driving games. You ever play one with a controller or God forbid, a keyboard? Compare that to playing with a wheel and it's a world of difference. Same idea as flying a plane in flight sim. Using a keyboard is not optimal but a controller with joysticks or a legit joystick is far superior.

The method of control changes everything. Skating becomes difficult in a game because of the control method. It also allows the game to be easy to play and hard to master. Those who master it rather than just saying, "it's broken" and refusing to learn and improve, are just handicapping themselves.

Work within the limitations of the game and learn what works and what doesn't. You must be willing to learn instead of just shutting down and saying, "it's broken", nothing can be done. That's not true and just hurts you. Makes you more likely to give up on other things in life because it's easier to just not try and to say, "it's impossible."

The thing is, a 10 year-old has more skating skill than any skater in this game. It's still not realistic, and actually, it's less realistic than floaty skating when it comes to low-speed adjustments. Get out of here with your realistic argument, because it's simply not true. It's just as unrealistic in a different way.

The thing is, a 10 year-old has more skating skill than any skater in this game. It's still not realistic, and actually, it's less realistic than floaty skating when it comes to low-speed adjustments. Get out of here with your realistic argument, because it's simply not true. It's just as unrealistic in a different way.

this. the poster above you hasn't owned the game since the current gen systems came out, yet he has over 500+ replies on this forum. hmmmm.

this. the poster above you hasn't owned the game since the current gen systems came out, yet he has over 500+ replies on this forum. hmmmm.

Maybe if ea wasn't discriminatory against pc people then that wouldn't be the case. Everyone knows that we live in a world where everything has to be pc and ea are being a bunch of racists.