EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Honest Question

Not trying to troll, or be negative. Just looking for an answer.

I play with the same settings all the time. Rarely do I change them. So my question is this:

Why is it one game my players are hard on the puck relentless forecheck, hitting everything in site. In the next game, they are skating away from the puck not wanting to go near it as if it were a bomb waiting to go off?

Replies

• I'm sure it's all related to the fat-man lag problem. It seems like fat-man lag always coincides with "dumb AI" problems. Basically, if you aren't able to move around properly your AI won't help you out either, but if your player moves crispy as can be then your AI skaters are magnificent.

I always say that if EA could ever solve the lag issue they will probably solve a lot of the complaints that people have with the game.
  • I'm sure it's all related to the fat-man lag problem. It seems like fat-man lag always coincides with "dumb AI" problems. Basically, if you aren't able to move around properly your AI won't help you out either, but if your player moves crispy as can be then your AI skaters are magnificent.

I always say that if EA could ever solve the lag issue they will probably solve a lot of the complaints that people have with the game.

Is fat man lag when the game plays slow?

Well, it plays slow for one person usually. The way I like to explain it is to take every rating your players have and reduce them to EA's minimum level (whatever that would be.) Skating is slow, agility is low, acceleration is slow, hitting is very weak, passing and shooting are inaccurate, and your puck control is non-existent.

This makes your opponent seem like they are all buzzing off of Red Bull in every way compared to what you are doing. It also feels like your controller doesn't work half of the time because your EA-programmed animations seem to take longer to play out, and while they are playing out the game doesn't accept any controller input to override them.
  • Yep, this happens intermittently with my games, one is playing on red bull, one is playing Marco Polo with the puck.
  • When you play All-star level against the cpu, ratings don't matter.

Well, it plays slow for one person usually. The way I like to explain it is to take every rating your players have and reduce them to EA's minimum level (whatever that would be.) Skating is slow, agility is low, acceleration is slow, hitting is very weak, passing and shooting are inaccurate, and your puck control is non-existent.

This makes your opponent seem like they are all buzzing off of Red Bull in every way compared to what you are doing. It also feels like your controller doesn't work half of the time because your EA-programmed animations seem to take longer to play out, and while they are playing out the game doesn't accept any controller input to override them.

This happens offline, which is totally bizarre. It’s totally random. Sometimes the game is fast and fun and sometimes it’s slow and boring.

This happens offline, which is totally bizarre. It’s totally random. Sometimes the game is fast and fun and sometimes it’s slow and boring.

I never touch the offline modes, but if this happens randomly for you then it begs the question of whether or not the internet latency is the real problem here. I have always thought it was an online problem since there seems to be many players that say they never have lag issues.

I never touch the offline modes, but if this happens randomly for you then it begs the question of whether or not the internet latency is the real problem here. I have always thought it was an online problem since there seems to be many players that say they never have lag issues.

Yeah I only play offline and this definitely happens offline. Like I said it’s totally random. Definitely proves that it’s not entirely internet speed related. It’s almost as if there is an issue with the game speed slider. Sometimes it feels like the game speed is jacked up to full, which is way too fast. Other times it feels like the game speed slider it set at zero even though I have it set at 2 as my default. This has been the case since the switch to next gen. It must be code that is in the game. This may also explain “ice tilt”. I do not think this code is put into the game intentionally. I think it’s a glitch. It’s very annoying. And yes I already purchased a brand new controller. Wasn’t the problem.
  • Haha, the "ice tilt" slider is real. That would explain how you can totally destroy somebody one game, and then lose to that same opponent when you are matched up for a 2nd game in a row.

That would be total 5h!t on EA if they actually make the games play out that way.
  • i wonder if the synergies play a role in this, perhaps with the opponents more so than with my team.
  • mikeyflex wrote: »
    i wonder if the synergies play a role in this, perhaps with the opponents more so than with my team.

I would say no, because these problems exist for me in VS Online as well.
  • I've just switched up my lineup with the intent of activating Silky Smooth (All players +3 Acceleration, Agility, Deking and Puck Control). Played four games thus far, every game, the players are swarming around like bees. I went 3 - 1. The game I lost I outshot my opponent 31 - 13 (lost 3-2).
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2489 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    I've played 44 offline HUT games this year. The last 30 of them were All-Star cause I admit Superstar is too hard this year. About 15 of those were with team Canada, the last 5 were with a scrub team (I know, small sample size).

I won have half of my games with Canada, Price had a GAA well north of 2.50... cpu one timers were basically guaranteed goals. Scoring was hard as heck.

Now with my team of scrubs I've won all 5 games, I'm being dominated on TOA but I'm outscoring the CPU 4:1 and Cam Ward is God. Shots I couldn't nail with Stamkos, Benoit Pouliot snipes with ease.

I know it's in my head.

Thanks for reading my story!
  • When playing the CPU, they game is coded to respond to your controller action, not the on ice movement. This is totally unfair
  • I have definitely noticed there are times when my defensemen are skating around like kids chasing butterflies in the defensive zone while there are 3 opposing players camped out around the net. My defensemen are by far the strength of my team and there are times when I feel like they have zero awareness to where the puck is or what's going on.