EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Message to the developers

Replies

• Sgt_Kelso
    1159 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    I don't get the AI complaints, if you just relax and play the game and work with them they are good. Great even...even better and bigger than your ego!

Dont know what happened to my reply, I edited it to fix some typos and then saved, pressed back on my browser, and bang it is gone in smoke....

But what i said was, the issue is not the AI on your side, it's when playing against the CPU on the hardest two levels. The AI of your own team mates is a separate issue, right? Some minor improvements there have been made, but on defence it is still pretty poor. Nothing to do with egoes, getting mad or relaxing, just basic observation.

I also mentioned that the asymmetrical nature of the game is most obvious in HUT single-player, it doesn't matter which allstars you have in your team, the opposing silver or bronze players still skate, pass, shoot etc. way better than anyone in your team. It's harder to play against silver team at allstar than it is an NHL team at pro. So clearly all player stats become increasingly more irrelevant as difficulty is cranked up. So you ask, what's the point?
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2480 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »

Well said. I too play HUT single player, not the seasons but just individual exhibition matches. I don't know if there's a difficulty adjustment slider but I find the CPU is significantly harder when my team is significantly higher overall. I play games with an 80 overall scrub team and can steam roll Washington, Tampa Bay, but then when I run my team Canada against Ottawa, Carolina games are a grind to the teeth usually squeaking out a 2-1 OT win and Dion Phaneuf is a demi god.
  • funny after i got ovi... i sold him bought some good players ....Price/Tavares/Marchand/Weber/Suter/Byfuglien...and a few others and now i can't win a game in offline NHL team challenges....and have basically put the game down.

funny that madden has a slider to "make teams equal "regardless of actual overalls....

they don't even score good goals its always garbage goals ...thats not fun.
    THE...Detriot Frenzy Alumni
  • So this I captured in NHL 12 year's ago.
    Tape 2 tape rocket, blind pass by Ai, facing the opposite direction. That little cheap play gets ai away from the pressure. This is not the realistic, fair way how to get from pressure in my opinion.

Still used on regular basis by AI in NHL 18.

• Everyone talking about this and that and I can't even play the game because ea ignores the most open and customizable platform for gaming...

EHM blows ea's be a gm out of the water but that's all it can do. Still blows my mind they ignore a huge potential market that loves niche games.
  • Everyone talking about this and that and I can't even play the game because ea ignores the most open and customizable platform for gaming...

EHM blows ea's be a gm out of the water but that's all it can do. Still blows my mind they ignore a huge potential market that loves niche games.

Can you give it a rest with the pc talk. You mention it in every thread. I love my pc too but common man. Beating the horse to death.

Exclusives to consoles are cancer but it's not going away.
  • flyextacy wrote: »
    Everyone talking about this and that and I can't even play the game because ea ignores the most open and customizable platform for gaming...

Can you give it a rest with the pc talk. You mention it in every thread. I love my pc too but common man. Beating the horse to death.

Exclusives to consoles are cancer but it's not going away.

I'll back you up as soon as you get sgiz1 to stop talking about how TPS is the reason he has input lag in EVERY thread HE posts...

• To have PC version of Nhl18 and roster share would be so good.
    I would take all the work I made in 3 year's on 2khs (jerseys, arenas, sticks, goalies, equipment etc) and mod the game with it.

All texturing work is at 5k+
  • j0rtsu67
    424 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    I'll back you up as soon as you get sgiz1 to stop talking about how TPS is the reason he has input lag in EVERY thread HE posts...
    I recall he said that input lag is the reason why TPS is not working as it should (in online modes, offline it is ok)? Not vice versa...

• He's also said that TPS is the cause of the game losing popularity as well as mentioning several times that he didn't have any issue with "input delay" before NHL 13 and the advent of TPS.

So which is it?
  • B-Bunny wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    B-Bunny wrote: »
    09 10 11 and 12 were just as broken in their own ways and people moaned and complained just as much back then. Take off the rose colored glasses.

The BIGGEST complaint from that era was the "magic carpet glide" skating. People wanted REALISTIC skating. Enter TPS.

Which, sure, is flawed, but it's 1000% better than what we had before.

I think forced cross crease passes going through like 70% of the time, people doing animation dekes and never losing the puck no matter what you did, curve shots, are all up there.

Magic carpet glide:

It's "Ice tilt"!!! I must be skating downhill:

And for forced cross crease passes:

It's all still here...

• B-Bunny
    871 posts Game Changer
    I bet if you get a different angle on that cross crease the puck goes through a hole. If he doesn't L1 and just stands there it goes on or at least off his stick.
    NHL Gamechanger
    PSN: B-Bunny
    Twitch: https://twitch.tv/b_bunny
  • Well, that's just graphics engine doing what the game calculated.
    It has gotten better, but still the puck interceptions are "underpowered".
    And the "puck protect bubble" is insane, why do you need a puck protection mechanism at all?
    This is for the physics engine to handle, right?
    If you kept the puck away, you protected it, if not you just messed up.... ??
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    I don't get the AI complaints, if you just relax and play the game and work with them they are good. Great even...even better and bigger than your ego!

Dont know what happened to my reply, I edited it to fix some typos and then saved, pressed back on my browser, and bang it is gone in smoke....

But what i said was, the issue is not the AI on your side, it's when playing against the CPU on the hardest two levels. The AI of your own team mates is a separate issue, right? Some minor improvements there have been made, but on defence it is still pretty poor. Nothing to do with egoes, getting mad or relaxing, just basic observation.

I also mentioned that the asymmetrical nature of the game is most obvious in HUT single-player, it doesn't matter which allstars you have in your team, the opposing silver or bronze players still skate, pass, shoot etc. way better than anyone in your team. It's harder to play against silver team at allstar than it is an NHL team at pro. So clearly all player stats become increasingly more irrelevant as difficulty is cranked up. So you ask, what's the point?

Fair enough, I was saying this for EASHL.
  • Sure, in EASHL the AI much less an issue, because there's usually only 2 or 3 of them on ice, and one is most likely the goalie. If you have one AI d-man, though, it plays very funny sometimes, it's on the wrong side of the ice, leaving its own side open, so you're forced to cover it as a d-man. And guess who's getting chewed by the coach for playing out of position? :)

But ideally you want to play EASHL with minimum of AI players anyways, the AI players can get pretty annoying for either side in good and bad. And AI goalies are sometimes very uneven, the other lets in soft goals and lots of rebound, and the other does game-savers like there was no tomorrow.
  • sgiz1 wrote: »
    the competition was it's greatest during the most popular days of this game 09/10/11/12 so that can't be the case.

Clearly much of the people who agree with those years being "the greatest" had the most success during those specific years.

The game clearly took a turn in the control department since then. Those who no longer had the ratio of success they had previously, turned to blaming the changes for their competitive downfall.

Instead of spending the years of 13/14/15/16/17 and now '18, learning the intricacies of how the engine wants you to play versus how you think it should play.. you just come to the forums and cry like a bunch of babies that the game is 'broken'.

The players who have the most fun in this game and who enjoy some level of success (whatever that means to you) - are the ones who accept the faults of the engine and fine tune their game to match what the engine expects of them rather than what they personally feel should happen.

I come back here now and then and see the same thing; People who take online competition so seriously that they live and die by their theory the EA is out to kill them and their families when a puck glitches through a pad or a game desyncs every now and then.

Or maybe it has nothing to do with wins. Maybe we just found those games more fun to play.
  • Look, it's one thing to argue about whether this game should be more arcade or more sim, but that is really irrelevant because there are so many glaring issues and bugs with the game. This has nothing to do with the way the 'engine wants' (or rather the devs want us) playing, or are you guys saying that looping, games not counting, fat man lag etc. are they way the devs intented the game to be? We can talk about game styles, sim & arcade and all that, once the game is actually relatively issue-free.
  • sgiz1
    537 posts Member
    "Everyone has the SAME TPS. It can't be good for some and bad for others. It's the same for everyone"

Wrong!!!!

TPS plays different for everyone based on the amount of latency/input delay you have!!!! For some people TPS plays online as smooth as playing offline, for many others like myself offline is good but online its way different.
  • sgiz1
    537 posts Member
    "09 10 11 and 12 were just as broken in their own ways and people moaned and complained just as much back then. Take off the rose colored glasses."

Complaining and leaving the game are two different things, people complained back then also but the community was a cult, it was large, it was engaged, people didn't leave because of the issues they complained about.

Fast forward to NHL 13 and beyond, people complain but this time people are leaving and have been for years now, the difference is in the types of issues people are having. With the old complaints the game was still super fun to play, the new complaints are because the game as it is today makes the game frustrating to play and people aren't having as much fun.

You need to learn there are different levels of issues and complaints, issues back then are not as a deal breaker as they are today.
  • sgiz1
    537 posts Member
    "So you've had lag for god knows how many years now, one would think you'd learn how to deal with it... and you haven't by now? :/"

Yawn!!!

I have adapted, I have success at this game, but unlike you I'm not in this for wins, I'm in it for fun!!!! So for people who win they usually don't complain, I get that because they are playing to win and as long as they win they are good with it. I'm after smooth responsive game play, win or lose! 1/2 second input delay makes the game sluggish and not responsive.