EA Forums - Banner

Please adapt! Stop whining!

13Next

Replies

• Floater from the point? Did we watch the same video? Dude was in the high slot and took a snapper and beat him over the glove. On the flip side looked like other guy was too late on his one time attempt. Tighten up the D and that's likely not a goal against.

Also my god does this game look bad from that camera, like NHL 99 style skating animations from that angle.

1- The whiffed 1T is one issue with the animations. If in fact the player pushed up late then fine. I think we have all had it happen to us where the puck is a little too far ahead and when I press up the animation chosen is a one timer like it was in my wheel house. Any NHL player would have reached out for a redirection. Since we don't have that option with the current controls; the shoot button (stick) should do this when needed.

2- That is not really the high slot. I mean its closer to the high slot than the blue line but he is more above the left circle than the real high slot. Either way I think the point of the original comment was that it was not considered a high danger shot. It is not coming from a pass across the middle nor was there a real screen. The shot itself for EA NHL standards was not a hard one either. That shot would have been saved by most backups 99% of the time.

Having said this all; he could've tightened up on the D especially 1 on 2. That would have most likely stopped that shot from happening before it was released. But either way a poor shot from there, with no real screen, no threat of redirection nor a pass option should have been easily saved.

I think the point is that the game rewards less creative skilled plays way too often. Not saying good plays never go in but I see far more desperation saves on good plays than should happen and I see far more weak wristers go in from all over than should not happen.
  • sgiz1 wrote: »
    The only way to make teams/players be more creative is to allow more passes to get thru defenders, this will promote passing more to teammates.

No. Just no. People are already rewarded far too much for forcing terrible passes through defenders.

You want to get rid of one man shows? Make carrying the puck more realistic. Currently the player with the puck can drag their stick literally through a defenders legs and maintain control of the puck. Not to mention the constant "lose the puck, pick it right back up, lose the puck, pick it right back up" nonsense that goes on all game.

A one on one battle between the guy with the puck and a defender should be heavily weighted in the defender's favor. But EA just has to have it's "wow moments" every few seconds......

The only way to make teams/players be more creative is to allow more passes to get thru defenders, this will promote passing more to teammates.

No. Just no. People are already rewarded far too much for forcing terrible passes through defenders.

You want to get rid of one man shows? Make carrying the puck more realistic. Currently the player with the puck can drag their stick literally through a defenders legs and maintain control of the puck. Not to mention the constant "lose the puck, pick it right back up, lose the puck, pick it right back up" nonsense that goes on all game.

A one on one battle between the guy with the puck and a defender should be heavily weighted in the defender's favor. But EA just has to have it's "wow moments" every few seconds......

Why on earth would this post be flagged? I'm not getting it.
    I think one of the biggest flaws in this game right now, is the number of passes going through, or just in front of defenders. I am missing a "reaching to get the puck" animation (or five).
    Just let the goalies catch soft floaters. Give us some acceleration to harass the puck screening gliders.
    Up the percentage of connecting one-timers, when the passing lane is there. Slow down goalies lateral speed on cross crease one timers, up goalies lateral speed on one on ones. We'd have a starting point.
    Patch up any glitch goals as they raise their weary head, hopefully we would slowly get a very good game.
  • SpillGal wrote: »
    sgiz1 wrote: »

Why on earth would this post be flagged? I'm not getting it.
    I think one of the biggest flaws in this game right now, is the number of passes going through, or just in front of defenders. I am missing a "reaching to get the puck" animation (or five).
    Just let the goalies catch soft floaters. Give us some acceleration to harass the puck screening gliders.
    Up the percentage of connecting one-timers, when the passing lane is there. Slow down goalies lateral speed on cross crease one timers, up goalies lateral speed on one on ones. We'd have a starting point.
    Patch up any glitch goals as they raise their weary head, hopefully we would slowly get a very good game.

If you challenge the status quo or ask the right questions, you get flagged haha
  • sgiz1
    537 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    You are missing the forest for the trees.

We need to promote MORE passing!!! Not less. If you make it even harder to get passes thru there will be less passing period. Why on Earth would anyone want to make fewer passes get thru? Passing success breeds more passing, more passing gets teamwork involved, teamwork promotes setting up and running plays. But none of this happens unless passing is successful.

If passing is a low % play, you will get fewer passes, more skating in circles, more spamming dekes, and more low % shots fired on net.

The game is more fun when you can have success cycling and setting up back door one timers to teammates, that shouldn't even be debatable because the counter argument to this is less passing and more one man show hockey.
    You are missing the forest for the trees.

We need to promote MORE passing!!! Not less. If you make it even harder to get passes thru there will be less passing period. Why on Earth would anyone want to make fewer passes get thru? Passing success breeds more passing, more passing gets teamwork involved, teamwork promotes setting up and running plays. But none of this happens unless passing is successful.

If passing is a low % play, you will get fewer passes, more skating in circles, more spamming dekes, and more low % shots fired on net.

The game is more fun when you can have success cycling and setting up back door one timers to teammates, that shouldn't even be debatable because the counter argument to this is less passing and more one man show hockey.

I agree there should be more passing, but passes shouldn't just go through a well positioned defender.

I remember in NHL 10 you could have control of a defender, perfectly placed in the passing lane and the offense could literally pass it through your guy for a cheese one timer - it was basically unstoppable and it was infuriating.
  • Hey sgiz1, it might be I'm missing the forest, but I think you just got lost in there.
    I agree we need to promote more passing, but not by letting them go through where they shouldn't.
    In fact, that has been going on for years, charge your pass and it will connect.
    Moving the puck, drawing defenders out of position should absolutely be the preferred method of scoring, but if you can just pass it through a well-placed defender, then how is that any better than throwing a soft floater on goal?
    There needs to take some skill to get a goal, game should have no "safe havens" like gliding and twitching is right now.
    Take away the overpowered puck protection mechanisms, let defenders have the necessary tools to stop dekes (this part is slowly getting there), and let the goalies eat up soft shots and you have all the intencives you need to promote passing. You don't need to artificially help that.
  • sgiz1
    537 posts Member
    "I remember in NHL 10 you could have control of a defender, perfectly placed in the passing lane and the offense could literally pass it through your guy for a cheese one timer - it was basically unstoppable and it was infuriating. "

As do I, but just being honest here... That game was so much more fun to play that what we have now. There are more frustrations now than then IMO. So, the consensus is every years version has frustrations in some form or another so it becomes less of two evils I guess.

Back then, NHL 12 and prior, cycling around trying to pull defenders out of position to hit that cross crease one timer was extremely fun for teams/teammates, very satisfying to pull of tic tac toe plays. Fast forward to NHL 13 thru today these nice plays are happen about 1/4th as often as they used to because with TPS you get stuck in mud and lose the puck easily so you can't cycle as long as before to pull defenders out of position, so now instead of losing the puck people just quickly shoot and keep shooting hoping to get lucky, rebound, and deflections (which is chaos and random, not skill based.). Or, skating in circles trying to pick up tripping penalties and spam dekes one man show to net, but passing is a not the top strategy anymore like it used to be.
    "I remember in NHL 10 you could have control of a defender, perfectly placed in the passing lane and the offense could literally pass it through your guy for a cheese one timer - it was basically unstoppable and it was infuriating. "

As do I, but just being honest here... That game was so much more fun to play that what we have now. There are more frustrations now than then IMO. So, the consensus is every years version has frustrations in some form or another so it becomes less of two evils I guess.

Back then, NHL 12 and prior, cycling around trying to pull defenders out of position to hit that cross crease one timer was extremely fun for teams/teammates, very satisfying to pull of tic tac toe plays. Fast forward to NHL 13 thru today these nice plays are happen about 1/4th as often as they used to because with TPS you get stuck in mud and lose the puck easily so you can't cycle as long as before to pull defenders out of position, so now instead of losing the puck people just quickly shoot and keep shooting hoping to get lucky, rebound, and deflections (which is chaos and random, not skill based.). Or, skating in circles trying to pick up tripping penalties and spam dekes one man show to net, but passing is a not the top strategy anymore like it used to be.

NHL 11 and 12 were the best games in the series. 14 was ok, but 13 was the beginning of the end of really good gameplay imo.

I agree with you that the older versions were much more satisfying to play. I played EASHL non stop and had really good chemistry with some players I met online. I still have them on my friends list from all those years ago, but the games have been getting so bad that none of us can play them anymore.

Anyway, to get back in topic, I’m all for more passing, but good defensive positioning should also be rewarded.

Well, if they tried to just let the game mechanics play, without boosting one-timers, puck carriers lateral movement, poke checks, body checks, gliding, spiderman goalies, forced passes or puck screening a lot of those frustrations would be gone.
    If they could just set up the game, without trying to force us into playing like this or that, we would get a lot more matches where the two sides had a totally different approach to the game, which would add to variety and fun. Now, nine out of ten guys are gliding and wiggling. A few years back, everybody was deking like crazy and forcing passes to the slot.
    I think that artificial boosts to certain parts of the game are sucking all the fun out of it, even if that boost is given to passing.
  • rcompton78 wrote: »

Floater from the point? Did we watch the same video? Dude was in the high slot and took a snapper and beat him over the glove. On the flip side looked like other guy was too late on his one time attempt. Tighten up the D and that's likely not a goal against.

Also my god does this game look bad from that camera, like NHL 99 style skating animations from that angle.

1- The whiffed 1T is one issue with the animations. If in fact the player pushed up late then fine. I think we have all had it happen to us where the puck is a little too far ahead and when I press up the animation chosen is a one timer like it was in my wheel house. Any NHL player would have reached out for a redirection. Since we don't have that option with the current controls; the shoot button (stick) should do this when needed.

2- That is not really the high slot. I mean its closer to the high slot than the blue line but he is more above the left circle than the real high slot. Either way I think the point of the original comment was that it was not considered a high danger shot. It is not coming from a pass across the middle nor was there a real screen. The shot itself for EA NHL standards was not a hard one either. That shot would have been saved by most backups 99% of the time.

Having said this all; he could've tightened up on the D especially 1 on 2. That would have most likely stopped that shot from happening before it was released. But either way a poor shot from there, with no real screen, no threat of redirection nor a pass option should have been easily saved.

I think the point is that the game rewards less creative skilled plays way too often. Not saying good plays never go in but I see far more desperation saves on good plays than should happen and I see far more weak wristers go in from all over than should not happen.

I believe there is something coded into the goalies where if the defenders are out of position they are less likely to make a save in a given situation. Can't say for sure but there are times I've seen weak goals like this but have been far out of position, on the flip side I rarely if ever see those kinds of goals when I am in perfect position.

Remember your positioning is not what you think/know to be the best position it is what the game thinks.
  • SpillGal
    336 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    I believe there is something coded into the goalies where if the defenders are out of position they are less likely to make a save in a given situation. Can't say for sure but there are times I've seen weak goals like this but have been far out of position, on the flip side I rarely if ever see those kinds of goals when I am in perfect position.

Remember your positioning is not what you think/know to be the best position it is what the game thinks.

Really? My gut says "Tin foil hat" here.
    I'll be on the lookout for this.
  • I have nothing to confirm this other than my own personal experience so it could be one of those all in my head things. It just feels like being out of defensive position makes it so your goalie is more prone to being out of his position.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Sinbin wrote: »
    What I don't understand is two EA products FIFA and NHL

FIFA... I can play a game without any lag or issues of being kicked or anything for that matter...

NHL... My guy looks slow after two minutes of gameplay... I get weird spikes where i'll slow down then speed up... I'll experience what seems to be some weird controller lag where I'm slamming the opposite direction only to finally change that direction 5 seconds after pushing it... I randomly get disconnected even though all my bars are green and am not experience any internet issues

FIFA players complain about the same exact things. Go look at the Tweets and Facebook posts they make at EA. Full of connection issues and complaints of scripting, handicap, etc. It's practically identical to the NHL crowd.

Odd... I got FIFA 16 and never had an issue with online... it must have taken a turn since then or something

I've never had a problem with FIFA and lag/disconnects with NHL have been extremely rare. Apparently I'm in the minority here though.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Video is perfect example of what's wrong with this game "RNG"

Perfect cross crease one timer, whif! because EA RNG% human error lottery says "not today", then on the rebound the other skater crosses blue line and floats a wrister from the point that goes in?

Those are two opposite quality shots, the in close one timer is about has high% of scoring chance besides a breakaway in the game of hockey and that floater from the blue line is one of the lowest % of scoring chances in the game of hockey, yet which one went in?

And before anyone says that was a rarity you are Wrong! This missing/whiffing in close one timers is common, and weak shots from far out go in quite a bit.

That floater from the point is a 1 in 100 shot, that in close one timer is a 60/100 shot.

How was that a perfect cross-crease one timer? The pass was off target.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    The only way to make teams/players be more creative is to allow more passes to get thru defenders, this will promote passing more to teammates. The reason why this game has devolved into skating the puck into the corner and doing figure eights and skate to a defender then turn back in a loop is because it's more effective to be one man show than to pass.

I'm talking about offensive zone of course.

If passes keep getting deflected or intercepted teams stop trying to pass, over time passing becomes last option behind one man show or shooting even if low quality shots.

Short of increasing the success of passing plays we will get more of the same one man show and low % shots on net as main strategy.

Why are you letting them do figure eights in the corner? You slow down a lot when gliding. You should be able to stop them. Then again, you have a ton of input delay so I guess you're not stopping much of anything.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member

The puck comes loose, but since it's usually traveling in the same direction the carrier was moving, it's easier for them to pick it up. If it goes off the defenders skate or stick, the puck will change direction.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    symmer1983 wrote: »

NHL 11 and 12 were the best games in the series. 14 was ok, but 13 was the beginning of the end of really good gameplay imo.

I agree with you that the older versions were much more satisfying to play. I played EASHL non stop and had really good chemistry with some players I met online. I still have them on my friends list from all those years ago, but the games have been getting so bad that none of us can play them anymore.

Anyway, to get back in topic, I’m all for more passing, but good defensive positioning should also be rewarded.

Teams with good chemistry will roll right over teams without. Good passing will still easily win games.
  • SpillGal wrote: »
    I know this sounds like a dumb question, but did you try to backskate? It doesn't look like you did.
    That's not a dumb question Sinbin. I did not backskate there, it might have gone better if I did.
    I was trying to show how this whiffing on onetimers destroys everyones urge to actually play passes.
    You're better of wiggling and letting go a wrister. To me, this is whats holding the game back the most.

Is whiffing on onetimers a thing in 18? I bought 18 and havent played an NHL game in along while so I'm not good, the sole thing I'm still good at seems to be the one timers.
  • Oh man, where to start? Ok lets follow Sinbin.
    How was that a perfect cross-crease one timer? The pass was off target.
    Nah, pass was on target only thing that went wrong was the shot. I can not see where I should've directed that pass otherwise....?? If you are Sinbin, please enlighten me.
    Why are you letting them do figure eights in the corner? You slow down a lot when gliding. You should be able to stop them. Then again, you have a ton of input delay so I guess you're not stopping much of anything.
    Now you're talking about one of the main flaws in this game. You don't slow down when you're gliding:

You see how i glide and glide and glide and .... in that clip?
    It doesn't make sense, and neither do you.
    The puck comes loose, but since it's usually traveling in the same direction the carrier was moving, it's easier for them to pick it up. If it goes off the defenders skate or stick, the puck will change direction.
    This might be legit, but I would really love to see some video on it. C'mon I am always putting videos behind my points, you can do it .... I believe in you!!!