EA Forums - Banner

Will NHL18 be "Xbox One X Enhanced"?

Prev1
WPGjets
43 posts Member
edited July 2017
fifa 18 and madden 18 are, lets hope so with NHL 18.
https://www.windowscentral.com/all-xbox-one-x-enhanced-games

the game play should be smoother due to the xbox one X power.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-x-everything-you-need-to-know/1100-6451858/

Replies

• Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    With the current engine, I think it very unlikely that PRO or Scorpio would see any befits?
  • EA has a lot more spoiled food on their plate to worry about before they try going 4k. I mean, who wants to watch the puck physically pass right through their goalie in stunning 4k60 anyways...not me.
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    With the current engine, I think it very unlikely that PRO or Scorpio would see any befits?

UHD really won't add much. It will get rid of a few jaggies, but unless your playing on a 100" screen or sitting 3 feet away from the tv, 4K is overblown. However HDR is where it is at, and I do hope they take full advantage of the increased brightness and color space. It really is the next big step in picture quality.

Also, with the extra power, we might finally get an NHL game with responsive menus.
  • Hope the Devs answer this
    EA SPORTS Challenge Series Finalist - Nobounds

• 4K has one big benefit for me that I realise is a rare one but would be the main reason I'd buy NHL 18 if it has it.

I use a 40" 4K TV as my PC monitor, and also tend to leave my PS4 Pro hooked up to it. I played hundreds of hours of NHL 16 on my Xbox One, 10 feet from my 55" 1080p TV in my living room and it was good and looked great, but I've also played FIFA and NBA in 4K in my office and it's just something else playing with that kind of relative screen size but without the image being really soft, which 1080p is at that size and distance.

If NHL 18 has a 4K mode for the PS4 Pro I would jump on it, but if not, I'm not sure.
  • I sincerely hope NHL 18 has a 4K mode as well. Last spring I finally upgraded to a PS4 Pro and a Sony full-array back lit 4K tv, and let me tell you the difference going from my old 1080p to 4K was astonishing. I'm fully aware that NHL 17 wasn't made for 4K output, but just the crispness on the 4K tv alone makes it so much better to look at. When comparing it to my Xbox One version, which I still play on a standard 1080p tv, I feel like I'm going back in time to the 360/PS3 days. It really is that much better. I can only imagine how much better it would be if EA did enhance it for HDR/4K. If it's anything like how good "The Show" looks with HDR on in 4K, it'll be spectacular.
  • I mean, who wants to watch the puck physically pass right through their goalie in stunning 4k60 anyways...not me.

Haha! This!

and also all the other things like sticks through the boards and half the puck through the ice while rolling etc...
  • For me, for my eyes, 4K look at very UNrealistic, i mean very overload. unreal overload colors and unreal corner on items. (my Eyesight OK. 100 %). Dont need 4K tv and games.
    Nashville Predators Fan. NHL19 Russia - https://vk.com/nhl19_nhl_19_ps4_xboxone
  • No way would EA spend time on this. It's like Frostbite upgrade; I just don't see EA putting time and effort in their lower tier title that shouldn't even be considered AAA. It's just supplementary income for them. The game will be exactly the same on Pro. They probably won't even upgrade next year either.
  • why would you want more lag?enhanced=lag/frame rate issue from my experience in ghost recon wildlands.maybe not lag but a frame rate issue.
    THE...Detriot Frenzy Alumni
  • Any sign from the beta that PS4 Pro might be running at a higher resolution?
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    Well, something seems wonky about my screen scaling, as some text is partially blocked by my TV screen's top edge, does that count? ;)

But in short, no.

But frankly, visuals are the game's least problems, I think it looks good enough. I haven't been that impressed with FIFA17 with it's frostbite engine, the graphics look a little washed out and bland part of the time, some of the time they look good, but nothing to froth about.

• Sounds like you just have overscan enabled on your TV, unless anyone else has noticed the same issue.

These boards seem to view the games much more negatively than I do, and while I notice annoyances I still love playing the series.

I'm most curious about the graphics/resolution because if NHL 18 is still just 1080p on PS4 Pro and seems largely a copy of NHL 17, I could just grab NHL 17 which is currently only £9 on PSN. I'd like to have an NHL game on my PS4 as playing sports games close up to my 40" screen is just more enjoyable than sat 10 feet from my living room 55", and I don't plan to move the Xbox One. It would just be an even better experience if the game took advantage of the Pro to give a nice and sharp image on the 4K screen.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    Iffen it is, then it only affect this beta? because no such issue in NHL17 or any other game (but then they mostly use higher resolutions anyways this being 2017).
  • WPGjets
    43 posts Member
    So whats the verdict on nhl 18 beta, is it smooth and 4k like on the ps4 pro? cause if it is then it will only be better on the xbox one x.
  • WPGjets wrote: »
    So whats the verdict on nhl 18 beta, is it smooth and 4k like on the ps4 pro? cause if it is then it will only be better on the xbox one x.

I haven't played the beta myself, but this thread makes it sound promising https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/122732/nhl-18-graphics-super-clear/p1
  • COGSx86
    785 posts Member
    Madden and FIFA, thats it. Microsoft announced the games that were 4k compatible.
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • I asked EA SPORTS NHL18 on Twitter 5 times when will be the Patch out...BUT.....
    no answer!......too bad

EA Sports FIFA 18
    Electronic Arts
    Available Now

EA Sports Madden NFL 18
    Electronic Arts
    Available Now

EA Sports NBA Live 18
    Electronic Arts
    Available Now

EA Sports NHL 18
    Electronic Arts
    In Development

EA Sports UFC 3
    Electronic Arts
    In Development
  • EA Sports NBA Live 18
    Electronic Arts
    Available Now

this should pretty much answer / sum up 99% of the complaints about this hockey series, right here.
  • After doing my own research on 4k @ 60hz vs 2k @ 144hz I've found the limited benefits of the higher resolution are minimal compared to the benefits of the higher refresh rate.

Moral of the story refresh rate is better than resolution especially given the lack of power of current day hardware. Sure the new consoles might run 4k @ 60 fps but at what graphics settings? Medium and low? Just max resolution? That's kind of a waste if you ask me.