EA Forums - Banner

Why Isn't NHL On PC?

Replies

• I didn t read all the post. But the fact is you can change coding on the pc. In NHL 2004 they only allowed you to play 3v3. But you can going into the files and change the slider. You can't do 5v5 or 6v6 but you could do 4v4 3 forwards and defenseman. Who can also took co trip over the goalie.

But again its about hacking the files. On console you can't crack the file and change the game.

I with you buddy. Played this game from the being back in 1991 nhlpa.
  • So after another barrage of corporate emails, several trips to the live chat service, and weighing the information that has come out of this thread, I'm still not satisfied.

I want official word from EA on this issue, and will update if they ever reach out.
  • So after another barrage of corporate emails, several trips to the live chat service, and weighing the information that has come out of this thread, I'm still not satisfied.

I want official word from EA on this issue, and will update if they ever reach out.

It takes 400k down votes on reddit to get ea to change the unlock costs on battlefront 2 2.

Basically you need to do your own leg work and get enough people to sign something asking ea to put this on pc and then maybe we'll see a response.

It takes 400k down votes on reddit to get ea to change the unlock costs on battlefront 2 2.

Basically you need to do your own leg work and get enough people to sign something asking ea to put this on pc and then maybe we'll see a response.

There's no wonder EA bans petitions from these forums. God forbid some progress be made in their backyard.

• I have to rectify this :

FIFA 17 - Pirated
    NBA2K18 - Pirated

Get you'r facts strait ;)

The possibility of pirating a game on PC goes to all PC games being released and last time I checked there are tons. This generally doesn't stop game companies.

The reason (in my opinion) EA doesn't port to PC is their current resources are slim. They are barely able to release a new game each year without bugs (see looping, fat man lag, one timer misqueues...etc). They would never be able to support another platform let alone port it with their current skeleton crew. The only option would be to add resources and with NHL being such a small community the risk definitely outweighs the reward.

As much as I wish it would come to PC it won't happen until game sales improve and that won't happen until the game improves and that probably won't happen (or maybe never will) until the current management team gets replaced and new views/ideas come rolling in.
  • "The reason (in my opinion) EA doesn't port to PC is their current resources are slim."

They just ported the same game across FOUR consoles, though. It was across Xbox 360, Xbone, PS3, and PS4. As I said already, I didn't hear them crying poverty then.

"it won't happen until game sales improve"

Maybe try opening up to the largest platform in the world? That should boost sales just a tad, don't ya think?
    This whole discussion is a self-defeating one. It's like when a restaurant is losing money and customers, so they use crappier food in their dishes, which leads to even fewer people coming back to eat. A business can't chase profits if those temporary benefits are based off of a mortgaged future. That's like trading all your draft picks for the next 5 years to fill a bottom six forward spot.
  • "The reason (in my opinion) EA doesn't port to PC is their current resources are slim."

They just ported the same game across FOUR consoles, though. It was across Xbox 360, Xbone, PS3, and PS4. As I said already, I didn't hear them crying poverty then.

"it won't happen until game sales improve"

Maybe try opening up to the largest platform in the world? That should boost sales just a tad, don't ya think?
    This whole discussion is a self-defeating one. It's like when a restaurant is losing money and customers, so they use crappier food in their dishes, which leads to even fewer people coming back to eat. A business can't chase profits if those temporary benefits are based off of a mortgaged future. That's like trading all your draft picks for the next 5 years to fill a bottom six forward spot.

They didn't port the game across 4 consoles. They basically released a dumbed down version in 2015 on xbox one and ps4 and ran with basically NHL 14++ on 360 and ps3. The lack of resources to build a new console game was probably the main reason behind the lack of functionality in the game. Then in 2016 the new gen consoles got more functionality and they release legacy which again was basically the same 2014 with a few fixes and few new things. That is not a port. A real port is the same game on different consoles with the same support and updates. They did the minimum on both consoles to no upset either set of users too too much. Which in 2015 they failed.

And I agree that they should try open it up to the largest community in the world but gamers read reviews and talk to other gamers. With the number of bad reviews our there I don't think sales will grow much until the game improves. That is the same with your failing restaurant. But most restaurants faced with that situation will attempt a re-grand opening under 'New Management' and if that doesn't work will sell/shut the doors. In this case I feel that new management making decisions about the direction of the franchise will help. I don't have sales figures but seeing the number of players online shows me that sales are abysmal this year. This is proof that even the die hard hockey game fans are not enjoying the game anymore.
  • Oilersguru wrote: »
    It's irrelevant when the cost of development out spends the earnings from the 75k units sold

Hahahaha. Like they spent anything on development!!! Hahahahahahahaha
  • rcompton78 wrote: »
    They didn't port the game across 4 consoles. They basically released a dumbed down version in 2015 on xbox one and ps4 and ran with basically NHL 14++ on 360 and ps3.
    Okay, fair. It wasn't the "same game" as I had previously stated. But it was a game with different content across four consoles though, with server management, retail packaging, testing, bug reporting, and all the other associated costs of release. In a lot of ways, what I (and god knows how many others) are asking for is less complicated, because we all just want the actual "good" port you described above.

If they have the motivation to straddle the console generations like that, for fear of missing out on one year's worth of revenue across two consoles, how **** hard is it to do right by PC players?

"This is proof that even the die hard hockey game fans are not enjoying the game anymore."
    Right, and I'd agree. EA has simply pulled too much, and even the hardcore fans are fed up with their incompetency.
  • It's not that hard to make a pc game, period. Plenty of tiny indie devs make games for pc and the consoles yet a massive company like ea says they can't do it because it's too difficult to do?

My guess is the shekels aren't adding up for them.
  • It's not that hard to make a pc game, period. Plenty of tiny indie devs make games for pc and the consoles yet a massive company like ea says they can't do it because it's too difficult to do?

It's not even EA that says it's "too difficult", or "too expensive". It's EA apologists and fanboys that insist EA can do no wrong. There hasn't been official word on the NHL franchise coming to PC in years. There's a very vague press release that says "we explore the viability of releasing our games for PC every year", but that's the depths of which EA cares to dive as far as details. EA fans literally make excuses FOR the company. They fill in gaps that EA themselves either can not or will not.
  • Rename85419
    85 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    NHL is the lowest selling game out of all their sports title. If they cant even get Madden to sell enough on PC then what makes any of you think they will release NHL?

Edit: Didn't realize they released FIFA on PC.

It's not even EA that says it's "too difficult", or "too expensive". It's EA apologists and fanboys that insist EA can do no wrong. There hasn't been official word on the NHL franchise coming to PC in years. There's a very vague press release that says "we explore the viability of releasing our games for PC every year", but that's the depths of which EA cares to dive as far as details. EA fans literally make excuses FOR the company. They fill in gaps that EA themselves either can not or will not.

Back on last gen there was something on these forums about it taking a lot more time and work to develop nhl for pc. Basically meaning to me it's too hard.

As for this being about sales, there's way more people playing on pcs than the consoles and the game would sell just by nature of its ea and there's people who will just buy it because it's ea sports and hockey and there's literally no option as of right now.

The only reason it wouldn't be viable is because pc players hold games to a higher standard than console players and ea knows their games would be hit even harder in reviews and on Facebook and reddit and such if they released a pc version. Plus it also opens the opportunity for someone to look into the code of the games and that's also likely something ea would rather not have happen.
  • If they cant even get Madden to sell enough on PC then what makes any of you think they will release NHL?

Madden hasn't been on PC for a DECADE. In that time frame, are you aware of much things have changed? -PC is now the LARGEST, MOST PROFITABLE gaming platform in the history of ever.
    -There are now ways to combat piracy (effectively).
    -The controllers from consoles work with PC way better than before, providing more options and more familiar choices to players.
    -There are more players worldwide than on any other platform.
    -There exists a software distribution platform that eliminates virtually all overhead.
    -There are better and better ways to troubleshoot bugs for almost no cost to the developer.
    -Porting to PC is easier than ever before, especially considering that the console games are actually designed on PC architecture.

And AGAIN -since you clearly didn't read the first page of this post- EA has NO COMPETITION. There's nothing even CLOSE to an NHL game for PC.

And when you say "they can't sell enough copies of Madden", you're relying on sales figures FROM TEN **** YEARS AGO. You're talking about a time when DVDs were still a new thing. You want to know what games came out in 2007? Halo 3. Bioshock 1. Super Mario Galaxy 1. Call of Duty 4. If these aren't an entire generation removed from what is current, I have no idea what is.
  • It would have happened by now. Who knows maybe they will again in the future but their last release on PC _(09) was a disaster.
  • MetalMilitia623
    1464 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Problem is those games in 2007 are the best aaa has been able to produce. Nothing since has even been close to as good. At least from the aaa devs.

Everything else you say is correct and there really is no reason to not be on every platform for gaming in 2017.
  • How would cross platform play divide the community?

You want a sustainable customer base look to pc. Console players for the most part play a game for a short while and then it dies. PC games tend to have huge communities even on 5 year old games. Hell there's actually a pretty large group of people who keep working on NHL 09 for those who want a 3d hockey game on pc.

Why would they be keeping rosters up to date on an eight year old game if there was no market for that type of game on the platform?

Sony is now the company that doesn't want cross platform play. MS is all about it. My how things change.
  • It would have happened by now. Who knows maybe they will again in the future but their last release on PC _(09) was a disaster.

This is only because ea chose to release the "previous gen" on pc while giving the "next gen" the upgraded game. PC players were all, "we have better hardware why do we get the older game?" EA made it a disaster on their own by choosing to take the easier route (for them) and porting the old game instead of the new one.