EA Forums - Banner

it's the END

Replies

• VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    What if you've adapted, are still dominant, but simply haven't found 16-18 fun to play at all compared to old gen.

Said differently, there are people out there who are tremendously successful at their job, but hate their job.

Having fun and being good at the game are unrelated concepts. Cheers.

Because this game isn't really challenging in the sense that it takes effort or skill at a constant pace to succeed. Too many times this game does things, just because. No rhyme or reason. Pucks on the side of the net? It's going to warp around and into the net.... Because reasons. Goalie's in position? It's going to go through him... Because reasons. Your d-man is in position to recover a loose puck 2 inches in front of him? He's going to NOT pick it up and skate right over it... Because reasons. Forward takes a weak wrister, unscreened, from 30 feet away? Goalie is NOT going to save it... Because reasons.

That's why people are frustrated with the game and say it's BAD. People expect things to make sense, but this game routinely makes ZERO sense.

Please explain this:

tDhThFA.gif

D-man is on top of me when the shot comes. I still make the save. I hold my position to keep out the puck. Forward flies by at full speed, mashes poke check and puck goes through my pads and in the net. This is the kind of stuff that drives people batty.

This is possibly the only Game Series (to my recollection) that rewards you for doing random things and punishes you for doing the correct thing. It's madness!! Imagine a racing game where you would alternatively press the gas and brake pedals, while furiously turning the wheel left and right constantly and you get the fastest lap times.... This is what NHL 15-16-17-18 feels like.

You don't have to wonder WHY people feel the way they do about it. I try to enjoy it, but there are times when I imagine myself throwing blunt objects at the people responsible for this game... And then I feel a little better. But I wish things made more sense in this game.

A lot of people do.

I agree with you 100%.

• VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    What if you've adapted, are still dominant, but simply haven't found 16-18 fun to play at all compared to old gen.

Said differently, there are people out there who are tremendously successful at their job, but hate their job.

Because this game isn't really challenging in the sense that it takes effort or skill at a constant pace to succeed. Too many times this game does things, just because. No rhyme or reason. Pucks on the side of the net? It's going to warp around and into the net.... Because reasons. Goalie's in position? It's going to go through him... Because reasons. Your d-man is in position to recover a loose puck 2 inches in front of him? He's going to NOT pick it up and skate right over it... Because reasons. Forward takes a weak wrister, unscreened, from 30 feet away? Goalie is NOT going to save it... Because reasons.

That's why people are frustrated with the game and say it's BAD. People expect things to make sense, but this game routinely makes ZERO sense.

Please explain this:

tDhThFA.gif

D-man is on top of me when the shot comes. I still make the save. I hold my position to keep out the puck. Forward flies by at full speed, mashes poke check and puck goes through my pads and in the net. This is the kind of stuff that drives people batty.

This is possibly the only Game Series (to my recollection) that rewards you for doing random things and punishes you for doing the correct thing. It's madness!! Imagine a racing game where you would alternatively press the gas and brake pedals, while furiously turning the wheel left and right constantly and you get the fastest lap times.... This is what NHL 15-16-17-18 feels like.

You don't have to wonder WHY people feel the way they do about it. I try to enjoy it, but there are times when I imagine myself throwing blunt objects at the people responsible for this game... And then I feel a little better. But I wish things made more sense in this game.

A lot of people do.

I feel ya. The only thing I can think of for this is something I mentioned somewhere possibly in this thread I don't remember. Is that this is the result of the server seeing one thing and you seeing another.

Perhaps the server sees you further to your right and out of position while you see yourself in perfect position. This would only show up if ea were to allow you to download the demo from the server as opposed to just recording what you see. I'm not sure what games do this other than csgo.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

Please explain this:

tDhThFA.gif

A lot of people do.

I feel ya. The only thing I can think of for this is something I mentioned somewhere possibly in this thread I don't remember. Is that this is the result of the server seeing one thing and you seeing another.

Perhaps the server sees you further to your right and out of position while you see yourself in perfect position. This would only show up if ea were to allow you to download the demo from the server as opposed to just recording what you see. I'm not sure what games do this other than csgo.

If that were the case, then different players would see different things, but everyone on my team saw the same exact thing.

I just think the game can't keep up. There's just too many complicated things trying to happen all at once and the game just goes Etch-A-Sketch. I don't think there's an easy fix to problems like this, but if it was up to me, I'd have the puck chip up on a poke check. If the puck chips on that play, it would pop up and trickle in. Or it would hit the top of the pad. Or it would hit the goalie's glove or shoulder and either fall down on the ice or into the net.

All of those outcomes would be a million times better than the puck being poked flush to the ice and through the goalie's pads.

EDIT: It's funny... But I was looking at replays of some of my LG games back when we were playing NHL 14 and as unrealistic as it all looked, pucks didn't redirect towards the net as often as they do in NHL 18. Mashing poke check in front of the net wasn't a viable strategy, either on offense or on defense.
  • MetalMilitia623
    1464 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    I guess it's different in cs because shooting is far more instantaneous than anything in NHL. The example from cs is that you fire your weapon on your client but no one else sees it because the server never saw you fire. Usually happens when you shoot as you die.

I wonder though what from this game is rendered client side and what is rendered server side. Be interesting to have this info.
  • Exactly the reason I haven't purchased nhl 18, all the other issues aside what gets my back up was working hard to score at the other end and then the cpu opponent goes down the ice and scores goals like the video above, sadly it's not something that happens occasionally but soft goals are part and parcel of nearly every game I played in nhl 17. It's the main reason I stopped playing.
    Problem is I miss playing hockey because it's my favourite type of video game but the frustration became more than enjoyment
  • Chud369 wrote: »
    Exactly the reason I haven't purchased nhl 18, all the other issues aside what gets my back up was working hard to score at the other end and then the cpu opponent goes down the ice and scores goals like the video above, sadly it's not something that happens occasionally but soft goals are part and parcel of nearly every game I played in nhl 17. It's the main reason I stopped playing.
    Problem is I miss playing hockey because it's my favourite type of video game but the frustration became more than enjoyment

I know lots of people dog me for saying this but rocket league is a great alternative. It's fast paced, has the physical aspect either knocking other players around or blowing them up completely. And it's in a more 3d space where while you can throw the puck in the air you cannot yourself go and get it up in the air.

Very fun game and you are in total control.
  • I know lots of people dog me for saying this but rocket league is a great alternative. It's fast paced, has the physical aspect either knocking other players around or blowing them up completely. And it's in a more 3d space where while you can throw the puck in the air you cannot yourself go and get it up in the air.

As a PC exclusive player, Rocket League has given me a better hockey game than EA has in the past decade.
  • Who cares about their sales? They make plenty of money with in-game purchases. More than their games sold makes. This is a crap product that is so glitchy, laggy, and crappy!
  • Chud369 wrote: »
    Exactly the reason I haven't purchased nhl 18, all the other issues aside what gets my back up was working hard to score at the other end and then the cpu opponent goes down the ice and scores goals like the video above, sadly it's not something that happens occasionally but soft goals are part and parcel of nearly every game I played in nhl 17. It's the main reason I stopped playing.

I know lots of people dog me for saying this but rocket league is a great alternative. It's fast paced, has the physical aspect either knocking other players around or blowing them up completely. And it's in a more 3d space where while you can throw the puck in the air you cannot yourself go and get it up in the air.

Yes. But the fact that other games are fun doesnt make it up for the fact that i paid 80$ for NHL and im far from satisfied. I get what youre saying, as a RL player btw.

Anyone else saw the latest saga from ea . Battlefront 2 ? Lol. Typical EA ... Greedy ****
  • 2sweeeeeeet
    76 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    They removed a lot of informative stuff. Good posts summing up the direction of this series by a plethora of knowledgeable fans. They’re not going to listen to smart people, that much is clear.

[Comment edited by @EA_Roger ]
    Post edited by EA_Roger on
  • I also noticed that certain threads are not being bumped to the front page of the forums anymore. *cough* the thread about no more yearly releases *cough* even though I just replied in it an hour ago.
  • symmer1983 wrote: »
    I also noticed that certain threads are not being bumped to the front page of the forums anymore. *cough* the thread about no more yearly releases *cough* even though I just replied in it an hour ago.

I just commented on it and it didn't move one bit. Hmm. Seems kinda weird to me.
  • Honestly what’s the point. I bought this game on sale after skipping 14, 15 and 17 (regrettably bought 16 because I thought I’d give it a shot).

EASHL is the only mode I’ve played since I found out about it NHL 10. Now EASHL is only playable in 3 vs 3 mode and only when the connection is mint. EA NHL hockey was a yearly day 1 purchase for me since NHL ‘92. Yes there were some crappy times like the part of the PS1 era and some of the PS2 games as well.

Never has this series been in worse shape though since “realism” and “sim” were introduced. I’m just beyond shocked at how downhill they’ve let it go.
  • MarxQc wrote: »
    Chud369 wrote: »

Yes. But the fact that other games are fun doesnt make it up for the fact that i paid 80$ for NHL and im far from satisfied. I get what youre saying, as a RL player btw.

Anyone else saw the latest saga from ea . Battlefront 2 ? Lol. Typical EA ... Greedy ****

That's why I stopped paying for NHL. Also I posted about that fiasco but they removed it from the off topic. Pretty hilarious imo.

They removed a lot of informative stuff. Good posts summing up the direction of this series by a plethora of knowledgeable fans. They’re not going to listen to smart people, that much is clear.
    Google Battlefront 2 ea.
    They broke reddits record with their scam. Lol most tumbs down.
    Informative i agree.
  • Im thinking also letting this game go. Just playing with friends when taking playnights locally. NOT online.
    My consern is terrible lag in online games. More than any other games before.
    Its not fun anymore innonline because most of the games are lag garbage.
    If i get lucky in season trials and win those games. I dont play that round anymore. Just getting rewards what i get. Risk that lag ruin your game is too high.
    Thats why i have stopped buying packs. Not with real money or coins. I Dont give EA that pleasure.
    EA have to make this game works better.
    Options are also from 80´s soooo slow and there are no back button to go main menu straight.
    There are no refresh in auction house. There are no option to put card straight back to auctions house. Allways have to select your selling price again again and again.
  • If 2k series come back with hockey. Im choosing that before EA games. I like playstyle in this version but this is too heavy and full of bugs
  • I wonder, this board seems to have slowed way down from just a few weeks ago and even then was way slow compared to 5 years ago. Is this a good trend?
  • I get all that I'm more alluding to the forum having low activity means the game has low activity. That's not a good sign for what is a brand new game.
  • Ayreon_kef wrote: »
    Ayreon_kef wrote: »
    Listen, main idea of my spich was about different rules for different people. No matter does the game good or bad. It should be clear and honest for everyone. Now it is not. And this is EA feature. You may be ultra profee, and if EA desides, you will loose to any noob, who fisrt time holds joystick.

That's not at all how the game works... You just feel like it does to justify to yourself how you lost to a player you feel is worse than you.

ahaha... team with overal level 70 defeats me with 18-0 score. and you telling me about fillings? I allways felt when it helps me, and it is also unacceptable. So don't tell me about feelings. I should know when i'm playing against someone, that I'm winning or loosing, not EA.

if a 70 overall team beat you by 18, it's not the game holding you back lol...
  • kezz123 wrote: »
    I used to be a top 100 player for years in HUT and EASHL but since NHL 15 I have rarely been able to crack Division 1 in HUT. It is horribly frustrating

Other than some other developer getting the NHL licensing, we are stuck with this garbage EA produces every year.

It's so incredibly fascinating to me that you guys don't get it.

"I used to be awesome at this game.. now I'm not. Therefore, it's the game that sucks and not me!"

If my club started playing this trash game wed be top 5 again. There isnt that much to it. Whats really fascinating is that the people like you who think "wow i used to get crushed 20-0 by tons of teams and now most games are close in score if not wins!" think they actually got magically better at the game as if having hockey sense and vision of the ice just "happened"

The old top clubs all left because the game is trash. The controls are trash, the feel is trash, the fun isnt there. The fun will fade for those like you who are rising to the new top spots but the difference is that those of the past had great hockey sense and vision, you just can skate right and shoot left better than most.

Yeah I love these irrelevant people who think they actually got better at the game. It cracks me up! Also, I'm digging my new profile picture!