EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Changes need to be made now

Prev134567
Sininstyle
2 posts Member
edited November 2017
I am a very long time fan and supporter of EA and the NHL brand. With that I have to say I am very disappointing in EA Sports for taking the great game of Hockey and a great idea in the way of HUT and turning it into some kind of money grab nonsense. You clearly have lost all regard for the people playing the game. Instead all focus seems to be on some cheap con-job at a post-sale money grab by EA Sports.

Let's start with some VERY basic issues. First off who was the idiot that mapped out the hybrid controls so that the "shoot" button was also the penalty-magnet "stick-lift, hooking, high stick button"? It doesn't take much to understand the issue here. You are trying to pressure the net and you suddenly have to change buttons or you will probably end up with a penalty. Stupid layout.

Secondly, what is being done about the cheap goals? Great that people can stick-deek. But when it come at the cost of a guaranteed goal by the shooter. That is bad design. Add to that this near-side upper corner glitch goal and we start to have real issues.

Now let's get into HUT. I don't know about other people. But when I buy a game I expect to have reasonable access to ALL the features of that game. I also have a real life. So I don't have the time to spend an average of 4hrs glued to my PS4 trying to unlock content that I have no way to tailor to my particular skill level. Yes that means sliders should be left in the control of the players, at least offline. If people want to use that to get an advantage then so-be-it. Because the alternative you have created is an impossible scenario for many in many situations. Unless you can explain to me a foolproof way, to force the CPU team in challenges to take a penalty in order, to "Score a Power-play Goal". Without having to replay the same game over and over again to randomly hope the CPU will get a penalty and then I have to hope to score on the Power-play on that 1 in 100 chance?

As for the way player cards etc work. There is also an issue. The system as it stands now is rigged to give the biggest rewards to the teams that happen to win. As discussed above, with the issues within the game-play that often has NOTHING to do with the person that plays a better game. So what does this do? It creates an even bigger advantage for those players/teams in HUT that have happened to win or randomly got lucky in pack pulls. Some card, of which, are uber awesome and limited to those lucky few. Creating an even bigger power gap. Don't get me wrong here I have no issue with it taking time and effort to unlock certain cards etc. But at lease keep the window open long enough for those of us with a real life, or of lower skill level (by allowing us to adjust our own sliders) a chance to improve our team offline so that when we compete online there is not this massive gap between "the lucky haves" and "the unlucky have nots". Even in the Real NHL they understand this is an issue so the bottom teams have a better chance to get the first round pick the next season.

I don't have all the answers. But the problems are overwhelmingly obvious. EA should FIX the things it can now (fix the hybrid control mapping, allow players to control their sliders offline in HUT and realize while perhaps unintended by EA it was NOT broken at game release and IS now) and overhaul the things it can't fix now for next year (completely overhaul the HUT system to not be some kind of money-grab based on false value).

In the meantime I will say EA has screwed up majorly when it comes to NHL 18. I have heard many many many people complain, flat out want to quit HUT etc. I am definitely among the dissatisfied customers. As such I am demanding a full and complete refund of my purchase price, the money I have spent on HUT so far this year and ALL the money I spent on HUT last year (because the loyalty rewards were crap compared to what I spent last year). NHL 18 gets a 3 out of 10 in my book. I'll be waiting to hear how I can get my refund and what EA plans to do to fix this pile of dung they have created within this years time-frame.
Post edited by EA_Lanna on

Replies

• Oh and I encourage all other players to jump on this post to let EA know just how dissatisfied their client base is.
  • But have you tried opening another pack, bud? :kissing_heart:
  • Ya man, open those thanksgiving packs...ya turkey! :)
  • This is not the place to ask for a refund. Contact ea customer support for that.

Yea the game is awful. Shouldn't have wasted your time and money on it, which if you think about it is just more time that you sold. So lots of time wasted on a mediocre at best product.
  • I have no mercy for anyone who buys hut packs.

basically its people with gambling issues and ridiculously low IQ who cannot even see that they are gambling their money away on a system that has 0% chance of return and worse yet, a system that will reset at the end of the year.

lol

• Thé question is, should gambling be allowed in game for kids?
    I think we all know the answer.
  • They are operating in the gray areas of the law, taking advantage of the delay from something new comes up until it gets regulated. There should at least be mandatory to put "Contains micro transactions" on the front cover in a certain font-size. Probably there needs to be an age restriction as well.
    Until these things are in place, game makers will, of course, continue to rake in this "free money".
    Worst thing is I actually liked the idea of HUT, when it first arrived. It sounded kind of cool to play with a lousy team and fight your way, building your squad and hopefully advance in a division system.
    But when you can buy your way? Now where's the fun in that? Must be the ten second thrill of opening a pack? Actually I don't get it.
    It's like buying a top leveled player in WOW. You pay so you don't have to play the game.
    And of course EA, and every other gameproducer utilizing micro-transactions will gear the game so the gamers will feel the need for paying to cut corners - aka - make them boring to play - aka - digging their own grave.
    Sad as it is, it has destroyed my favorite game, it will be interesting to follow the development of this industry.

• "Must be the ten second thrill of opening a pack?"

This is basically how it works in human brain. Especially with kids.
    Just look at some of those hardcore pack openers vids on YouTube. It's pretty sad.
    And yes, they (the companies) abuse it, unfortunately. :(
  • See I don't like ea's micro transactions but I am OK with those from csgo and RL. In both of those games everything you get has a real world value and can be sold for money, not exactly cash but steam money. The fact that they hold value to me makes it acceptable gambling. Yes I've lost more than I've made on either but I know quite a few who have made money on these games as well. I doubt anyone but ea is making money on their games.
  • EA has just been slapped by Hawaii and Belgium for BF2 ( Lootboxes ) . Their businessmodel/way of using Micros has been, is and will be scrutinized, and its highly possible legislation will follow .

Given the fact that "online Sales" have been growing steadily for EA in recent Years, and it is their openly stated goal to expand on this, seeing as their BF2 Lootboxes will be classified as gambling - they will have to rethink a lot in regards of how to make money .

All this WILL have ramifications reaching into their various UTs .

Who knows, maybe one day they find themselves inclined to make good Games again, the sort of which people happily give them money for...

In regards to EAs way of cashing in on Micros, its actually amazing how stupidly shortsighted, cashgraboriented their UT model is..while there are Games around which do rely solely on Micros, but are nowhere near being called off for faciliating illegal gambling online . Maybe a good time for to start looking around to learn how others are doing it .
  • Thé question is, should gambling be allowed in game for kids?
    I think we all know the answer.
    Interesting point. Shouldn't the game be rated M for mature if it involves "gambling"???

• Imo micros are fine if they are one purely cosmetic and offer no in-game advantages other than looking cooler. And two they must be sellable and tradable and hold a real monetary value. Much like how it is for csgo, pubg and rl.
  • Belgian Gaming Commission Decides Battlefront II-Style Loot Boxes Are Gambling, Wants Them Banned

https://gizmodo.com/belgian-gaming-commission-decides-battlefront-ii-style-1820663366

Basically, all left to be done is that the EU agrees on the new law passed by the belgium parliament.
  • Binomical
    26 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    MarxQc wrote: »
    Belgian Gaming Commission Decides Battlefront II-Style Loot Boxes Are Gambling, Wants Them Banned

https://gizmodo.com/belgian-gaming-commission-decides-battlefront-ii-style-1820663366

Basically, all left to be done is that the EU agrees on the new law passed by the belgium parliament.

Yep . And when that happens, you can bet your Life people will start looking at HUT, FUT, MUT etc...

To give an indication : Germany,4th biggest market in the world, arguably one of the richest and most powerfull nations in the EU, has very strict and restricting laws on gambling .

On a sidenote : EA stock down ~ 10 % within 3 weeks, but seems stable now.

• Disney also took issues with EA including micro-transaction in their Star Wars game.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2017/11/18/star-wars-battlefront-2s-microtransactions-were-reportedly-pulled-after-disney-expressed-concerns-to-ea

Not a good idea to ❤️❤️❤️❤️ off a huge company like Disney, especially since you're using one of their properties to make a game. I love Battlefront. I was going to get this game for my Birthday. But now I'm gonna wait a bit and see how this all turns out.

Disabling the microtransactions on launch was a good step, but they need to go all the way and NOT bring them back. They also need to fix the progression system. Reducing the cost of the Heroes and Vehicles in games doesn't make up for the fact that it would take FOREVER for an average player to amass the points during a match to activate a Hero, let alone use him in a match if someone else is already using the Hero.

Go back to using Kill Streaks to activate special classes and vehicles.
  • Binomical wrote: »
    EA has just been slapped by Hawaii and Belgium for BF2 ( Lootboxes ) . Their businessmodel/way of using Micros has been, is and will be scrutinized, and its highly possible legislation will follow .

Given the fact that "online Sales" have been growing steadily for EA in recent Years, and it is their openly stated goal to expand on this, seeing as their BF2 Lootboxes will be classified as gambling - they will have to rethink a lot in regards of how to make money .

Who knows, maybe one day they find themselves inclined to make good Games again, the sort of which people happily give them money for...

In regards to EAs way of cashing in on Micros, its actually amazing how stupidly shortsighted, cashgraboriented their UT model is..while there are Games around which do rely solely on Micros, but are nowhere near being called off for faciliating illegal gambling online . Maybe a good time for to start looking around to learn how others are doing it .

As I was reading this I was just remembering how back before online gaming I would pay full price for a game for the SOLE PURPOSE of playing the game until I beat it or just playing it for replay value. There was no such thing is buying stuff in-game. I didn't broadcast my game to people to make money doing it. Once the game was home it was mine and no more money was won or lost from it. It was just my friends and I sitting on a couch playing co-op for bragging rights that we earned with skill only. There were no artificial ways (like paying money) to be better than the next guy. It was a blast, it was fair, and it was PURE fun, the way it should be.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Binomical wrote: »
    EA has just been slapped by Hawaii and Belgium for BF2 ( Lootboxes ) . Their businessmodel/way of using Micros has been, is and will be scrutinized, and its highly possible legislation will follow .

As I was reading this I was just remembering how back before online gaming I would pay full price for a game for the SOLE PURPOSE of playing the game until I beat it or just playing it for replay value. There was no such thing is buying stuff in-game. I didn't broadcast my game to people to make money doing it. Once the game was home it was mine and no more money was won or lost from it. It was just my friends and I sitting on a couch playing co-op for bragging rights that we earned with skill only. There were no artificial ways (like paying money) to be better than the next guy. It was a blast, it was fair, and it was PURE fun, the way it should be.

That bolded part still completely exists. You make the choice if you want to purchase anything additionally. There is a very large amount of content for you and your friends to sit on the couch and play.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Binomical wrote: »

So, you're saying no good games have been made that have included mictrotransactions? Is that how you felt about the previous generation of NHL? What about every other game that's been released with microtransactions? They are were bad purely because you had the option to spend additional money on those games?
  • If EA introduced a way that players online both got wins - this place would be a ghost town.
  • @Sinbin this is what @RedBull1973JL means..

mona-dlc.jpeg
    Nowadays we actually get less from our full price purchase on a lot of games than we used to in the past and then that stuff is added back at more cost.

Some developers don't do this but many do and it's a real shame.