EA Forums - Banner

How is the Pre-Order Pack system at all legal or ethical?

In past installments, when you pre-ordered the game you'd get your weekly pre-order pack no questions asked. But now, they are doing this "you have to log on to HUT every week to receive your pack". How is this legal?

If you go to the pre-order page on EA's website at this time they show this message and this image:
image_0.img.jpg

Yet, if you go back to the page on July 29, it shows a different image:
image_0.img.jpg

How is this not false advertising? For those who've only seen the image, they were promised $60 in bonus content, that they did not receive. They were promising $60 in bonus content coming from the packs. The McDavid + x Rookie Card add up to almost nothing monetarily if you convert what the price an 85 rated player on the market goes for then convert that to actual currency. The other content is cosmetic. So if you are being promised $60 in bonus content, you should be receiving that content. (and yes I see the extra * on the bottom of the image, that shouldn't matter as on the image it does not specify how that would be applied).

I have no clue who should be looking into this and I'm probably talking to the wrong crowd but this is not right.

Replies

• This words "you have to log on to HUT every week to receive your pack" always be in disclaimers. I do warning about this on our Russian community groups about game and here on forum and reddit before game release
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NHLHUT/comments/6zsxq5/be_careful_with_packs_for_pre_orders_always_open/

laiCw.jpg
    Nashville Predators Fan. NHL19 Russia - https://vk.com/nhl19_nhl_19_ps4_xboxone
  • In past installments, when you pre-ordered the game you'd get your weekly pre-order pack no questions asked. But now, they are doing this "you have to log on to HUT every week to receive your pack". How is this legal?

If you go to the pre-order page on EA's website at this time they show this message and this image:
    image_0.img.jpg

image_0.img.jpg

How is this not false advertising? For those who've only seen the image, they were promised $60 in bonus content, that they did not receive. They were promising $60 in bonus content coming from the packs. The McDavid + x Rookie Card add up to almost nothing monetarily if you convert what the price an 85 rated player on the market goes for then convert that to actual currency. The other content is cosmetic. So if you are being promised $60 in bonus content, you should be receiving that content. (and yes I see the extra * on the bottom of the image, that shouldn't matter as on the image it does not specify how that would be applied).

I have no clue who should be looking into this and I'm probably talking to the wrong crowd but this is not right.

Both of those images have the same message written at the bottom of them:

*Some conditions apply.

Yes it should be blatantly written that you need to log in to HUT to receive your packs, but it isn't so. But at the same time, they do tell you to verify what the conditions are. It is up to the consumer to know what certain conditions are. It is however, border line shady.
  • In past installments, when you pre-ordered the game you'd get your weekly pre-order pack no questions asked. But now, they are doing this "you have to log on to HUT every week to receive your pack". How is this legal?

image_0.img.jpg

image_0.img.jpg

Both of those images have the same message written at the bottom of them:

*Some conditions apply.

Yes it should be blatantly written that you need to log in to HUT to receive your packs, but it isn't so. But at the same time, they do tell you to verify what the conditions are. It is up to the consumer to know what certain conditions are. It is however, border line shady.

Yea I realize the little excerpt, yet it should still be noted what the * applies to in the image. Another great reason to hate EA. This is probably my last straw with NHL.
  • Like literally every company does that. Legal disclaimers are far too long to stick on a box. Just like how everyone just scrolls down and clicks "I accept" when installing a new PC game
  • Like literally every company does that. Legal disclaimers are far too long to stick on a box. Just like how everyone just scrolls down and clicks "I accept" when installing a new PC game

Or gives permission to everything under the sun on their phone apps.
  • Basically : tell them you'll buy their next game already so they dont have to invest and improve it,Cus they already know you'll buy it, and they'll credit you 60 $

Pre-orders... Way to go if you want to game to stay like it is right now !
  • Never ever pre order. Never buy games on launch, unless it's a game you got in early access to test for an extended time like I have with Beamng.drive, escape from tarkov, Intruder and pubg. Even prison architect was an awesome early access game, road redemption too.

Just stay away from AAA really, they have been going downhill since around 2007. Small to medium sized devs and indies are the way to go these days for quality games. Sure it takes more effort from you to discover this stuff but it's worth it in the end.
  • Never ever pre order.

And Jesus, they really force you to log in every week for TWENTY STRAIGHT WEEKS in order to receive the content they promised?!

It's a sports game, not a marriage.