EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

AI's programming with Challenges is down right cheating

Prev1
mikeyflex
214 posts Member
edited November 2017
Not sure who at EA thought this was good. But they completely dropped the ball on the programming. All-Star/Superstar level is so unrealistic. AI's make plays that only happens in video game land. Here is a list:
  • Engine reacts to user input, not actual game play as a result, AI puck carrier avoids hits by skating around with "stutter stepping."
  • AI's have the ability to multi-task before user can react. This is evident with checks along the board and simultaneously holding puck carrier on the boards. Poke checking followed by checks. Full skating burst and checking. Dropping down to block shots as the puck is launched after shooting.
  • Making blind passes with precision always make stick to stick contact.
  • AI's penalty killing always clears puck high off the glass, rarely takes delay of game penalties.
  • AI puck carrier always rotates away from defenders to avoid stick on stick.

If anyone really thinks ratings matter, play on All-Start/Superstar levels with a stacked team and see how your ratings give you the advantage, NOT.

Replies

• Rarely do you get second and third chance opportunities when you get a rebound.
  • Also, the opponent AI does almost never take penalties while the npc's on your team do.
  • They are a bit OP on Superstar but I have managed to beat all of the challenges, just takes a few tries sometimes and sometimes I get all 3 stars in one game.

It is a BIG difference when I know played with a stacked team vs my starter team.

I have very little problem to complete the challenges, just a matter of skill and I like the fact that the AI on superstar skill can make some ridiculous passes, saves, shots, tackles and so on otherwise it wouldnt be a challenge.

After all it is AI so it is fairly easy to learn how to play against it after a couple of games.

• Also AI goalie makes saves that I have never seen in any other NHL, he gets so quick in Superstar, it's just insane.
  • These are supposed to be hard. Some of the rewards are great. Evos, flashbacks. These are valuable cards to have.
  • Yeah. This game is so much worse than years what comes to AI and bugs. Next year version i will skip. This year version gives more bad feeling than good.
    Have to hope that some other gaming studio try to make hockey game. It cant be much worse than €A:s rubbish
  • I knew this was going to happen
  • These are supposed to be hard. Some of the rewards are great. Evos, flashbacks. These are valuable cards to have.

Yes,but i play offline seasons too,its frustrating play whole 15min vs superior AI.
    1-2 divisions are superstar only and easier is pro and semi-pro and thats too easy.
    Last year i can win 1 division offline meny times,but now LoL.
    Last year offline settings was fine,why dont simple copy paste 17 settings to 18,it cant be so hard.
  • 2 minute periods with penalties in real time... :*;)
  • mikeyflex wrote: »
    Not sure who at EA thought this was good. But they completely dropped the ball on the programming. All-Star/Superstar level is so unrealistic. AI's make plays that only happens in video game land. Here is a list:
    • Engine reacts to user input, not actual game play as a result, AI puck carrier avoids hits by skating around with "stutter stepping."
    • AI's have the ability to multi-task before user can react. This is evident with checks along the board and simultaneously holding puck carrier on the boards. Poke checking followed by checks. Full skating burst and checking. Dropping down to block shots as the puck is launched after shooting.
    • AI's penalty killing always clears puck high off the glass, rarely takes delay of game penalties.

If anyone really thinks ratings matter, play on All-Start/Superstar levels with a stacked team and see how your ratings give you the advantage, NOT.

I more or less agree with you about the cheating. I experinced similar things. However, I think we can not really see these kind of challenges as a real hockey game, it is just an extra free game, where we can get something for some effort. And a challenge is a challenge. Yes it is sometimes annoying and completely unrealistic but it is what it is. Even when you dont get the final card, you can easily earn some coins or other things without waste any contract. Despite the room for improvement and kind of thankful that EA did something in that matter.

However, I completely disagree with your final statement about the ratings. For me it is far easier to score and win with players like EVO Kucherov, EVO Crosby, EVO McDavid etc. than with my other lower rated team, hwich I use for change and fun. The main difference is the shoting accuracy. The AI goalies are still gods and almost unbeatible but with my top players I´m able to score more often form the distance, with one timers etc.

So I would say it`s just the opposite, challenges are working completey according EAs principle "pay to win".
  • The challenges are fun to grind out and satisfying to complete.
    I find them to be a nice escape if youve lost 2 or 3 in a row online.
  • sctty98
    291 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Best way to beat the challenges is to play cheap. I found playing skill zone, and locking the second controller ad the goalie, throws off the AI. You have to reach over and reposition the goalie a little bit, but it worked. The AI looked a little lost. Finished the 25 shot coop challenge. Out shot the ai 12 to 1 in the first period. Don't be aggressive. Hold your spot. Don't try and check them, and.go easy on the poke check. Don't use stick lift at all.
  • So basically if you are not extremely good at this game you have 0 chance of ever accomplishing these challenges .
    Guess its time to finally stop playing this turd.
  • leeriehle wrote: »
    So basically if you are not extremely good at this game you have 0 chance of ever accomplishing these challenges .
    Guess its time to finally stop playing this ****.

I’m terrible at the game but manage the challenges, perseverance.
  • scanyman82 wrote: »
    The challenges are fun to grind out and satisfying to complete.
    I find them to be a nice escape if youve lost 2 or 3 in a row online.

You must have a different definition for 'fun'?

As for the AI in challenges, is that in any way different from the AI in any other single-player mode? Or does it cheat even more?

After playing a couple of challenges I am always reminded why I don't want to go anywhere near the single-player modes anymore. It's just beoynd stupid... unless you play at semi-pro or something, and then there's no challenge at all.

It's even more funny when you compare the AI on the opposite sides. If it was only cheating opposing AI, or the brain-dead AI on your side, but noooooooo...it's both.
  • I don’t care if the ai cheats or if it’s ‘’too hard’’, the rewards are good and that’s all that matters
  • Lol. I just did the advent challenge and while I did win 2-1 I outshot the CPU 26-1. So many of these challenges I only give up 1 shot but it always goes right in.
  • Finch1965 wrote: »
    mikeyflex wrote: »

I more or less agree with you about the cheating. I experinced similar things. However, I think we can not really see these kind of challenges as a real hockey game, it is just an extra free game, where we can get something for some effort. And a challenge is a challenge. Yes it is sometimes annoying and completely unrealistic but it is what it is. Even when you dont get the final card, you can easily earn some coins or other things without waste any contract. Despite the room for improvement and kind of thankful that EA did something in that matter.

However, I completely disagree with your final statement about the ratings. For me it is far easier to score and win with players like EVO Kucherov, EVO Crosby, EVO McDavid etc. than with my other lower rated team, hwich I use for change and fun. The main difference is the shoting accuracy. The AI goalies are still gods and almost unbeatible but with my top players I´m able to score more often form the distance, with one timers etc.

So I would say it`s just the opposite, challenges are working completey according EAs principle "pay to win".

You're rationale (which is completely wrong) is the reason why EA year-in-and-year-out puts out a half-**** product.
  • I don't think this seasons nhl game is bad. They've added so much more content to hut alone. Also, keep in mind, hut is only one game mode.

The challenges were a great addition. And the fact that 5 days a week we get new challenges to complete is outstanding.
  • leeriehle
    271 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    I agree that EA has made a good addition with these challenges they just need fixing or to be made more realistic .
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!