EA Forums - Banner

A new survey from EA....

Replies

• Bmh245 wrote: »
    Workin_OT wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    I believe LEFT stick hitting is still present in this game, it's just been toned down from what it used to be.

Left Stick Hitting can be turned off in the settings, bucko.

How and where can you turn off left stick hitting in NHL18? *
    Left stick hitting hasn’t been in the game since NHL 16

Auto-hitting is in the game, though - that's probably what they're thinking about. And it can be turned off in the settings menu.

Yea, exactly.
    I believe LEFT stick hitting is still present in this game, it's just been toned down from what it used to be.

Auto-hitting is in the game, though - that's probably what they're thinking about. And it can be turned off in the settings menu.
    No it’s really not an option anymore. You might be able to skate into players and knock them down due to the physics collision, and even that I'm not sure is possible anymore? I honestly don't play enough it could still though, but auto hitting isn’t a thing anymore. The only way to trigger a full on hitting animation is to use RS.
  • Workin_OT wrote: »
    Bmh245 wrote: »

No it’s really not an option anymore. You might be able to skate into players and knock them down due to the physics collision, and even that I'm not sure is possible anymore? I honestly don't play enough it could still though, but auto hitting isn’t a thing anymore. The only way to trigger a full on hitting animation is to use RS.

Even if you turn on Left Stick Hitting in the options menu?

It's not in the options menu? Unless they moved it from 'controller options' to somewhere else?
  • BoboFloggins
    2170 posts Member
    edited December 2017

"Auto-hitting"

B)

hot "auto" action to the max, Jack.

It's not in the options menu? Unless they moved it from 'controller options' to somewhere else?

I thought I saw it there the other day when I went to check and make sure auto-back was off (Because my guy feels so unresponsive when trying to pivot)
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »

You do know how physics and momentum work, right?

If you are travelling at a high rate of speed and run into an opposing player, things happen.

This isn't "Left Stick hitting".

You’re incorrect. Left stick hitting cannot be turned off because it’s no longer in the game. In NHL 17 you could turn it off in controller settings.

I thought I saw it there the other day when I went to check and make sure auto-back was off (Because my guy feels so unresponsive when trying to pivot)

It's not where auto backskate is, which is in the controller options and where left stick hitting used to be. Unless they moved it to some other menu it's not in the game anymore.

If you are travelling at a high rate of speed and run into an opposing player, things happen.

You’re incorrect. Left stick hitting cannot be turned off because it’s no longer in the game. In NHL 17 you could turn it off in controller settings.

*NHL 16. 17 didn't have it either. ;)

It's not where auto backskate is, which is in the controller options and where left stick hitting used to be. Unless they moved it to some other menu it's not in the game anymore.

*NHL 16. 17 didn't have it either. ;)

Oh

• I hadn’t checked my email for a week or two and I noticed a survey from them. But when I clicked on it the survey was closed. So that sucks. Cause it wasn’t even in my junk.
  • Bmh245
    905 posts Member
    edited December 2017

No it’s really not an option anymore.

Auto-hitting is in the controller options menu. I've played the game with it on and with it off this year.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »

So anytime you skate into someone something happens based on the physics of that collision? Or does it have to be enough force to trigger the physics engine over the animation engine?

In legacy if you are laying on the ice and someone skates over you they trip rightfully so. If you are both standing up right and skate into each other without using a hit or left stick hitting sometimes it triggers the physics and sometimes you just get one of the few stumble animations.

To me it should always use the physics and if it results in a stumble that can be recovered from then fine but it should be all physics based with less in the way of locked animations.

Like I've been saying around here forever...

Many people playing this game fail to understand the basic concept that if you are triggering an animation, don't expect the game to favor you when it comes to physics based interactions - and this is by design.

The game penalizes those who are throwing too many inputs at their player. If you're constantly skating at a high rate of speed, poking at every loose puck in sight, trying to hit everything that moves and trying to make passes while making large cuts at full speed... etc - you're not going to have fun.

The above scenario plays out in so many games - just to hear the children cry about how the game is so awful.

Then.. with my friends who understand the concept of being patient with your skating and minimizing the inputs you throw at your characters, we have a blast. We aren't the best team on the planet, nor are we really anything special to write home about. But holy man do we have fun and rarely do we get in to this mood where the game is at fault for everything in our lives.

Again - the physics engine is always at work. I'm always just skating my player right in to another player and I rarely use the Right Stick to lay a body check - unless i've lined it up perfectly.

This way, if I do happen to miss running in to an opposing player, I still have open animation frames to properly adjust my position. Whereas if I'm spamming pokecheck, trying to lay a hit with RS (while I'm out of range) or doing something else to trigger an animation and thus impeding my movement, my player seems 'sluggish' in where I'm trying to move him.

This concept is lost on many players. These same players just scream in to their mics, "EA IS ALWAYS GIVING BOUNCES TO THE OTHER TEAM"

Well.. not to fast champ.

Chances are, you're not being patient in the way you execute the inputs you've given your player. You're overwhelming the character with information, so to speak, and you lose the physics advantage.

I believe this is by design. This way, the game rewards those who are smart and efficient with their control of the player, where a player who's in a rush or just not good at understanding the concept of how to control is at disadvantage.

This isn't true at all. Poke spamming is as successful as ever, and when it comes to skating, not being able to do many small adjustments is exactly why the skating engine is so lacking. Never at a time while skating, was I ever not able to make small adjustments when needed. Also, if you consider skating and poking at the same time in hockey, which is basically chewing gum and walking IRL "too many inputs" then this game is inherently flawed, correct? I don't see anything wrong with people complaining about a flawed engine in a flawed game not allowing users to play the sport we all love. Maybe look at what you're doing in-game compared to hockey more, rather than attempting to mitigate frustration by teaching people why they can't do anything remotely realistic to hockey in this game, chap?

Just because you believe something is true, doesn't mean it's reality. At the end of the day, poke spamming isn't mitigated at all, 1-poke trips from in-front in good position still trip people, and the skating only requires "patience" because the engine can't handle the amount of small adjustments required for skating to be a positive experience. Gripes seem legit, no?

I just see way too many people "teaching" on here like the game is actually fun, efficient, polished, when people bring up legit gripes about the game. It starts unnecessary flame wars between people who can't play this game well, and frankly as a long-time reader, it just got old reading. Can you not read these complaints and understand their point of view? Can you for a second, assume these people know how to play rather don't? I get it, there's a lot of complaints on these forums...some of these posts are absolutely rubbish, but on a long thread like this, with many valid points on this thread, you feel the need to chime in the Kid's NHL tips, mate!? Ha, I just think you need to swallow some pride and hear these guys out.

btw, If your team isn't good like you say, I wouldn't expect anybody to take your opinion on how to play the game too seriously, right? Just a thought, pal.

Cheers!
  • GoSens37 wrote: »
    This isn't true at all. Poke spamming is as successful as ever, and when it comes to skating, not being able to do many small adjustments is exactly why the skating engine is so lacking. Never at a time while skating, was I ever not able to make small adjustments when needed. Also, if you consider skating and poking at the same time in hockey, which is basically chewing gum and walking IRL "too many inputs" then this game is inherently flawed, correct? I don't see anything wrong with people complaining about a flawed engine in a flawed game not allowing users to play the sport we all love. Maybe look at what you're doing in-game compared to hockey more, rather than attempting to mitigate frustration by teaching people why they can't do anything remotely realistic to hockey in this game, chap?

Sounds like you get poke checked a lot. Maybe you should get better at the game?
    GoSens37 wrote: »
    Just because you believe something is true, doesn't mean it's reality. At the end of the day, poke spamming isn't mitigated at all, 1-poke trips from in-front in good position still trip people, and the skating only requires "patience" because the engine can't handle the amount of small adjustments required for skating to be a positive experience. Gripes seem legit, no?

You're just making assumptions of the game engine. You're clearly a player who demands the game engine cater to how YOU want to play, rather than adjusting your playstyle to meet the demands of the engine. Why have gamers like you lost your way? Sounds like you've become accustomed to the entitlement of gamers who demand games change based on their own tastes.
    I just see way too many people "teaching" on here like the game is actually fun, efficient, polished, when people bring up legit gripes about the game. It starts unnecessary flame wars between people who can't play this game well, and frankly as a long-time reader, it just got old reading. Can you not read these complaints and understand their point of view? Can you for a second, assume these people know how to play rather don't? I get it, there's a lot of complaints on these forums...some of these posts are absolutely rubbish, but on a long thread like this, with many valid points on this thread, you feel the need to chime in the Kid's NHL tips, mate!? Ha, I just think you need to swallow some pride and hear these guys out.

I've never once states that this game is polished and that it's without flaws. Again, another projection you've made from the perspective of an entitled gamer. You don't like being told that you're probably 'doing it wrong'.. and that's normal to feel that way. But, to take some of your own advice, just because you think it's true - doesn't make it so, champ.

btw, If your team isn't good like you say, I wouldn't expect anybody to take your opinion on how to play the game too seriously, right? Just a thought, pal.

It's quite clear you're not very knowledgeable when it comes to the make-up of a team. A team's performance is based on the overall performance of the team, not on individuals.

This may come as a surprise, but good players play on bad teams, bud.

• Bmh245
    905 posts Member
    edited December 2017

Again, Auto-hitting is exactly where it's always been, in the Controller Settings menu. Here's a video walking you through all the options the game offers. Watch 1:33-2:02:

• GoSens37 wrote: »

Sounds like you get poke checked a lot. Maybe you should get better at the game?

Have you only been playing against division 10 opponents and the semi-pro AI? Because that's the only way I can imagine you not having seen the problem with poke check spamming. I probably see 10+ poke checks go through legs by players from a bad position for every one that I see draw a penalty. It's pretty outlandish in my opinion because players aren't being punished for making bad plays.
  • I totally understand where both of you are coming from and here's the problem. @KidShowtime1867 is right you have to learn to play the game as given and utilize the strengths and weaknesses of the engine at hand. Obviously many are likely capable of that but don't like that they have to do that.

However he's wrong because while we have to do what the devs allow us to they try to listen to everyone of us and others and make something that we all like. They should make something they want follow their vison for what the game should be and make minor adjustments based on the community.

Most early access games I've participated in have a set vision the devs want to meet. The community will never force a dev making a sim game to add arcade elements to it. Likewise they can't convince a dev making an arcade game to make it ultra realistic. These devs need to pick one and go full bore with making that instead of trying to cater to both sides and being forced to make compromises on both sides resulting in neither side being truly happy.
  • I totally understand where both of you are coming from and here's the problem. @KidShowtime1867 is right you have to learn to play the game as given and utilize the strengths and weaknesses of the engine at hand. Obviously many are likely capable of that but don't like that they have to do that.

However he's wrong because while we have to do what the devs allow us to they try to listen to everyone of us and others and make something that we all like. They should make something they want follow their vison for what the game should be and make minor adjustments based on the community.

Most early access games I've participated in have a set vision the devs want to meet. The community will never force a dev making a sim game to add arcade elements to it. Likewise they can't convince a dev making an arcade game to make it ultra realistic. These devs need to pick one and go full bore with making that instead of trying to cater to both sides and being forced to make compromises on both sides resulting in neither side being truly happy.

Yes, I think that's the largest underlying problem right now. Even when the devs come on here to respond to feedback, they rarely say anything specific about future improvements and vision. They'll list out reasons why they designed it a certain way, but won't say things about fixes like "we would like to see more penalties from poke checks in bad position" and instead just talk in very general terms like "We'll continue to try and improve the risk/reward balance of poke checks". (Note that these aren't actual EA quotes, just my experiences)

I understand why they can't be completely open with what they have in the works, but sometimes I just want a straight answer on whether or not they're going to start calling more penalties on poke checks from behind. The community would be able to provide much better feedback if we actually knew the direction EA was headed.

Again, Auto-hitting is exactly where it's always been, in the Controller Settings menu. Here's a video walking you through all the options the game offers. Watch 1:33-2:02:

Interesting. Mine doesn't have it. Maybe it's only a HUT thing?

8d999216-61d5-4b63-9344-b9c6c7faaf98_Thumbnail.PNG

Yep, it’s a HUT thing.

Yep, it’s a HUT thing.

Really? UT specific controls despite the fact that ovp and ut play exactly the same. Hmm :thinking: