EA Forums - Banner

Puck pick ups

Prev1345
mart2025
36 posts Member
edited December 2017
I know i'm not the first to say it, but the puck pick ups are terrible. I always hated it but now it's been like 2-3 games i lose because of it. you go to pick up the puck and your guy just skates right over it and then the other team has a breakaway. Unbelievable. You pock check the puck off someone and your guy goes to pick it up but then this whole animation makes him curl in nice to pick it up but forgets the puck behind lol. Even when I make a pass to my teammates the puck just goes right by them or it'll just simply bounce off their stick. And then this game can come out with new cards and new packs ( to spend money on) daily. So many things wrong with this franchise and game. I wish 2k would've never left :'(..............
Post edited by EA_Roger on

Replies

  • Shaking my head how much this game digress. That have manage to wreck this franchise beyond anything I've ever seen. How is this possible?
  • mikeyflex wrote: »
    Shaking my head how much this game digress. That have manage to wreck this franchise beyond anything I've ever seen. How is this possible?

    You can thank the cry babies that wailed for “realism” because they couldn’t hold their own on pre-TPS NHL.
  • Yeah, there is no debating the automatic pick ups are awful, the forced direction after pick up, the forced pivots and spins, etc. It's a nightmare right now. Sad part is, it feels like it's been tuned into the game more since release date.
  • mikeyflex wrote: »
    Shaking my head how much this game digress. That have manage to wreck this franchise beyond anything I've ever seen. How is this possible?

    You can thank the cry babies that wailed for “realism” because they couldn’t hold their own on pre-TPS NHL.

    I am all for realism. This game however is far from it. Not sure why the devs believe making the game play like beer league hockey is true to the NHL. NHL players are not clunky and know how to skate very well and are fluid. They also don't struggle picking up loose pucks. Realism is not the issue unless of course they've never seen a professional hockey game.
  • I wonder how the game would play if every player class was 99 overall.
  • I wonder how the game would play if every player class was 99 overall.

    Puck pickups in particular are no better in HUT, and my entire team is basically 93+. They still glide past pucks without reaching for them, stare at pucks that are right in front of them, get stuck in pickup animations, etc.
  • I've been noticing a lot lately too that a lot of defenders aren't picking up loose pucks either. It's weird. Probably just incidental but yeah, lots of opportunities off of defense not picking up pucks that aren't even moving.
  • I've been noticing a lot lately too that a lot of defenders aren't picking up loose pucks either. It's weird. Probably just incidental but yeah, lots of opportunities off of defense not picking up pucks that aren't even moving.

    Yeah - AI players regularly just stare at the puck and don't react, even when they aren't in motion and the puck is in front of them. This is in both offline and online modes.
  • Bmh245 wrote: »
    I've been noticing a lot lately too that a lot of defenders aren't picking up loose pucks either. It's weird. Probably just incidental but yeah, lots of opportunities off of defense not picking up pucks that aren't even moving.

    Yeah - AI players regularly just stare at the puck and don't react, even when they aren't in motion and the puck is in front of them. This is in both offline and online modes.

    Yeah been noticing that too. I feel as if the AI on defense has been ultra terrible lately in every one I've played. Again, incidental most likely. Very small sample size (like 3-4 games in drop ins).
  • If this was realistic "sim" hockey then it wouldn't be so damn hard for a player to pick up a puck as he skates right past it. How many times does that happen in a real game? Almost never.
  • Bmh245 wrote: »
    I've been noticing a lot lately too that a lot of defenders aren't picking up loose pucks either. It's weird. Probably just incidental but yeah, lots of opportunities off of defense not picking up pucks that aren't even moving.

    Yeah - AI players regularly just stare at the puck and don't react, even when they aren't in motion and the puck is in front of them. This is in both offline and online modes.

    Yeah been noticing that too. I feel as if the AI on defense has been ultra terrible lately in every one I've played. Again, incidental most likely. Very small sample size (like 3-4 games in drop ins).

    It's not incidental - it's systematic. It's been a problem all year, and got noticeably worse when they toned down defenders' awareness of the puck in one of the early tuners.

  • Bmh245 wrote: »
    I've been noticing a lot lately too that a lot of defenders aren't picking up loose pucks either. It's weird. Probably just incidental but yeah, lots of opportunities off of defense not picking up pucks that aren't even moving.

    Yeah - AI players regularly just stare at the puck and don't react, even when they aren't in motion and the puck is in front of them. This is in both offline and online modes.

    Agreed. I played a game recently where the puck bounced off the back boards in the AI opponent's end. The puck trickled out toward the off face off circle. As it did, the opponent's AI defender skated BACKWARDS AWAY from the puck! But I guess this is EAs version of realism.

    Also, for the puck pick ups, it also doesn't work if you hard check a player. He can be flattened out on the ice and your player will skate over the puck several times without being able to pick it up. Then, the player you checked pops up and grabs the puck. This has been going on for awhile now and I guess EA has chosen to ignore it.
  • Just letting you guys know. There’s the inside the dark side into games (business side) (development side). They have the tools to do it but choose not to why cause half bsing a game would make them more money then actually making the game feel more real. Quantity over quality. Ever heard that saying? That’s what EA believes in. Again just a shame.
    Maybe to a point...the people working on the game... I'm sure..take pride in what they are doing.
    It's a business so the higher ups are trying to make profits of course...but to think the people on the ground level don't care is..is just silly.


  • Easy solution to puck pickups. Make stick handling and puck control just like this.
  • It's not because the " realism", it's because to produce a good game costs money. EA wont put much money into the product itself. They spend money on marketing, Gamechangers or other "feedback"/ marketing programs.
    Then they take the resources (human power) that left for the actual game and tell the devs go and do Trees or anything that would bring to the series not hockey people. Because they want even more money for the product, our wallet is not enough.

    That's what we have now.

    If what you’re saying is actually true then they wouldn’t have had such an amazing game on last gen.
  • *Not just on last gen but in the 90s too. Those games were so fun they were impossible to put down.
  • djneohockey
    732 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Might be that we are not kids anymore too? :)
    Maybe we need too much as an adults to be entertained by a videogame and they just can't keep up.
    So they rather focus on casuals.
    Post edited by djneohockey on
  • 2sweeeeeeet
    76 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Might be that we are not kids anymore too? :)
    Maybe we need too much as an adults to be entertained by a videogame and they just can't keep up.
    So they rather focus on casuals.

    No that’s not it either, for me anyway. I was an adult when NHL 09, 10 and 11 came out and I spent more hours playing those games than I’d like to admit.
  • It's not because the " realism", it's because to produce a good game costs money. EA wont put much money into the product itself. They spend money on marketing, Gamechangers or other "feedback"/ marketing programs.
    Then they take the resources (human power) that left for the actual game and tell the devs go and do Trees or anything that would bring to the series not hockey people. Because they want even more money for the product, our wallet is not enough.

    That's what we have now.

    If what you’re saying is actually true then they wouldn’t have had such an amazing game on last gen.

    The game was god awful on last gen and full of problems/bugs/glitches too. The only thing that made it tolerable was playing the game vs. people who knew how to play hockey at the competitive level like LG.

    The reason people are tired of this franchise is that it has never evolved over time into something more complete. It's always been an arcade mess that tries to combine simulation features and it fails miserably because the core gameplay is never fixed.

    Players STILL skate while having an swivel in the middle of their bodies. That's NHL Hockey ('92) on the Sega Genesis days stuff!! Goalies still can't make simple things like hugging the post or covering the puck work properly.

    Add on top of it patches and tuners that "fix" things only they CLEARLY don't fix much... Like the latest tuner that was supposed to "fix" the poke check spamming and make it less accurate. It's not. It was supposed to make goalie saves more "forgiving", they're not.

    People are tired of this. EA's own "content creators" have stopped streaming this game. Where you could go on twitch on any given day and find the big NHL streamers like Realmiviens, JERZNetwork, Millertimegames, NugeTV and Himoccio, now they're all either NOT streaming anymore or they're streaming other games like MLB The Show or Fortnite... LOL!

    EA is shooting themselves in the foot with this series. Nobody wants a mish-mash of Sim-Cade hockey. Either make it 100% arcade (HUT) or 100% simulation (EASHL) and you'll see both sides actually be happy again and buying the game in droves.
  • 2sweeeeeeet
    76 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    I disagree. The game was being bought and played “in droves” on last gen. Mainly because NHL 09 to 11 were great games. If you had a problem with those games then you’re likely in the minority. No one wants a “sim” hockey game that’s 13 minutes long. It just wouldn’t work. And no one wants to play 60 minute games. So in my opinion your vision for this game is just plain wrong.
    Post edited by 2sweeeeeeet on
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.