EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Blake or Pronger?

I need one more D for my team. I want a big guy who can defend to go on my 3rd pair with Chara and also be his partner on my 1st unit PK.

I've narrowed my choices down to Pronger and Blake.

If I got Pronger I would move Chara to RD. Chara seems to have a good one-timer but struggles with slappers from the left point.

If I got Blake I would keep him on RD as I like my D having their sticks facing inward when going D-to-D to start the transition break-out.

What are people's thoughts on these two players? Which would you recommend?

Replies

• nWoDust wrote: »
    I need one more D for my team. I want a big guy who can defend to go on my 3rd pair with Chara and also be his partner on my 1st unit PK.

I've narrowed my choices down to Pronger and Blake.

If I got Pronger I would move Chara to RD. Chara seems to have a good one-timer but struggles with slappers from the left point.

If I got Blake I would keep him on RD as I like my D having their sticks facing inward when going D-to-D to start the transition break-out.

What are people's thoughts on these two players? Which would you recommend?

I agree as far as playing dmen on their right side. Especially on a defensive draw. Easier to move the puck up. Pronger with chara seems like a solid shut down pair eh. I'd do that.
  • I had Pronger for a long time and finally got rid of him. He hits like a monster but I felt like he was too slow. Hitting in this game has always been overpowered so you can hit with anyone. I prefer fast D men to help compensate for mistakes I make. My left D is made up of legends Neidermayer, Bourque, and Gonchar. RD made up of 92 Doughty, Xmas Burns, and ICE Pietroangelo who is surprisingly solid on D. Anytime I look to alter it I can’t find someone I like better. I never used Blake so I don’t know how he is.
  • My Defense is: 92 Karlsson, 92 Lidstrom, Christmas Burns, 92 Niedermeyer, Evo Subban, Gonchar
  • jake19ny wrote: »
    I had Pronger for a long time and finally got rid of him. He hits like a monster but I felt like he was too slow. Hitting in this game has always been overpowered so you can hit with anyone. I prefer fast D men to help compensate for mistakes I make. My left D is made up of legends Neidermayer, Bourque, and Gonchar. RD made up of 92 Doughty, Xmas Burns, and ICE Pietroangelo who is surprisingly solid on D. Anytime I look to alter it I can’t find someone I like better. I never used Blake so I don’t know how he is.

I have ICE Pietrangelo on my 1st pair RD with Lidstrom. Excellent D-man, does everything well.

I tried Burns but have never been a fan of him in any version of HUT, even the free version I got last year which was a 96 overall I think.

My 2nd pair is Bourque with Doughty.

Chara is currently paired with Myers on the 3rd pair.

Something I've tried this year that seems to be working well is keeping regular lines and pairs together for special teams purposes.

For example, my 1st line (Bucyk-Bergeron-Scheifele) are 3 of my 4 PK forwards, the other is my 4th line C (J.Staal). Line 2 is also PP unit 1, Line 3 is PP unit 2.

On D, my 1st pair of Lidstrom-Pietrangelo are my all-around pair, and are on PP unit 2 and PK unit 2.

My 2nd pair of Bourque-Doughty are PP unit 1, my 3rd pair of Chara-Myers are PK unit 1.

From a fatigue standpoint I find this has really worked well, so guys are all the same "freshness" when they go out for a shift. Rather than having one fresh player and two tired players, or vice versa.

So I really want a bigger defensive type to fulfill that role alongside Chara. I half content to stick with Myers and hope he gets a better card eventually. He's been really good, just don't expect any offense out of him from the blue-line. But defensively he's top notch, that reach defending the rush is excellent, and he can hit too. I also find he moves very smooth for a big player.

I've come across Pronger a number of times now, I'm surprised how little I encounter Blake, I think I've seen him once. He was a BEAST in HUT 17, but his skating stats have been lowered (and his stats overall), but they don't look to be bad. But he doesn't have the reach of a Pronger or Myers.

• How is that 90 overall Chara and what does he go for??? And is he worth it?
  • ABUSEU905 wrote: »
    How is that 90 overall Chara and what does he go for??? And is he worth it?

I played him for about 50 games or so. A bit slow because of his size, but superb for poke checking and, of course, hitting. But for some reason I just couldn’t master the shooting with him, and that’s one of my strong points, shots were constantly going wide. I sold him for 400k a week ago, on XB1 that is

I am the consequence of your actions
  • ABUSEU905 wrote: »
    How is that 90 overall Chara and what does he go for??? And is he worth it?

I don't know, I'm rolling the 82 version.....lol

Just my opinion, other than all those synergies the 90 version has, I can't see the 90 version being so superior to the 82 that I would drop the 400k or so coins needed to get one. Nor do I have anything close to 400k coins. The 82 version has been great for me, had him since Day 1 and he's does what I want him to do very well, stop the other team from scoring. I can count on one hand how many times he's been beat wide and couldn't recover using his stick.
  • 82 overall in December?!?
  • jake19ny wrote: »
    Hitting in this game has always been overpowered so you can hit with anyone.
    Wait what? Everytime I go for a body check I either miss it or just bounce off the guy I'm trying to check. It's ridiculous how you're going to line up a perfect hit but can't connect it. I rarely get those big hits that benefit me, usually I just give a speed boost to the opponent by trying to hit.

Always win sometimes lose.
  • FunFor10 wrote: »
    jake19ny wrote: »
    Hitting in this game has always been overpowered so you can hit with anyone.
    Wait what? Everytime I go for a body check I either miss it or just bounce off the guy I'm trying to check. It's ridiculous how you're going to line up a perfect hit but can't connect it. I rarely get those big hits that benefit me, usually I just give a speed boost to the opponent by trying to hit.

It takes practice for sure, but very useful tool when you can hit well
  • ESPOtheDON wrote: »
    82 overall in December?!?

Well I didn't get the game until late November. Don't spend any money on packs, and have avoided playing the market this year. I could certainly afford to get a better overall D-man than Chara at 82 but I like Chara in this game and in real life. I'd like to upgrade him to the 90, but he'll get some better cards in between the 82 and the 90 (he's getting a milestone later in Jan for crossing 1400 games played). Wouldn't be surprised if he gets a flashback at some point as well.

I ended up snagging a Blake a week ago. He's pretty good, no complaints, surprised more people aren't using him as he's very similar to last year.

I'll probably try out Pronger later when I have more coins to spend.

• Prongs, he’s still an 88 skater...he ends up being craftier on O than you’d think which surprises opponents...very very good defender...just gotta watch he doesn’t kill anyone/penalties
  • And I pulled him btw, so he is out there...