EA Forums - Banner

Final Prestiged...Now What?

13Next

Replies

• Again you're missing the point. NHL has a very weak and problematic game engine that has had many of the same bugs for many years.

Beam on the other hand started with a solid engine and added nothing until the core engine was built. Most of the fluff added in that time was modders. The devs just worked purely on the core engine until it was very close to perfect.

Point being make the core engine solid and with almost no faults. Then add all the game aspects. Beam to this day still has very little in the way of actual games. It's just make your own fun. Nhl has all the stuff that makes it a game but the core is lacking.
  • If you really believe the **** that is sold around here regarding how the physics in this game are so much harder to code for than any other game... Well I've got some land to sell you in Florida.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    See, that's my point. Beam built their physics engine from the ground up, literally, so that everything in their game is simulated by the physics engine. There's no need for any animations. Imagine if the skating, body contact, puck deflection, etc were all happening live based on one engine instead of there being scenarios that animations took over instead of the physics engine.

An example of building a great engine is Beam was built for driving. Moders decided to make planes not knowing how they would work. It turned out the aerodynamics of the engine that was already built made it so planes worked exactly like they should.

This shows if you have a solid core engine adding aspects to it will only show the true power and capability of it. A poor engine on the other hand needs to be covered up by animation and automation so that it's harder for users to see the weak points of that engine.

Yes. Beam was built for driving. I get your point, but it's not hockey. Without the animations you'd probably see a whole new slew of issues as bodies would be subject having limbs bend in ways that would break them which would add a whole new layer of problems. Players get hit, they go down, the puck comes loose, someone picks it up. That's pretty much all you need. I want to play a hockey game where hits matter. That is achieved. I don't need ultra realistic, fully simulated hitting physics. It's already a very complicated system. Furthering that could have a lot of unintended results. At least I'd rather wait until the technology supported it. Not just processing power, but balance, possible exploits and sending all of that data via online play.

What you fail to realize is that; if the BASE of your game's code is solid, you can build anything off of it. Whether it's driving, flying or human based sports, the physics make it so that everything is grounded in the same reality and it works.

Physics are physics. They don't change because of the objects you are interacting with.
  • Metal Militia is absolutely right. The engine in this game is weak.

It’s like a 1980 Ford Pinto engine inside the body of a Ferrari. Looks great, but performs like crap. Gets basic maintenance and a paint job once in while just to keep it running.

Also there is a difference between a dev team made up of employees who just want to collect a pay cheque and an indie dev team who is hungry and passionate to make the best game in whatever genre they are in.

Look at Rocket League or Supe Mega Baseball - small passionate dev teams; high quality gameplay.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    See, that's my point. Beam built their physics engine from the ground up, literally, so that everything in their game is simulated by the physics engine. There's no need for any animations. Imagine if the skating, body contact, puck deflection, etc were all happening live based on one engine instead of there being scenarios that animations took over instead of the physics engine.

An example of building a great engine is Beam was built for driving. Moders decided to make planes not knowing how they would work. It turned out the aerodynamics of the engine that was already built made it so planes worked exactly like they should.

This shows if you have a solid core engine adding aspects to it will only show the true power and capability of it. A poor engine on the other hand needs to be covered up by animation and automation so that it's harder for users to see the weak points of that engine.

Yes. Beam was built for driving. I get your point, but it's not hockey. Without the animations you'd probably see a whole new slew of issues as bodies would be subject having limbs bend in ways that would break them which would add a whole new layer of problems. Players get hit, they go down, the puck comes loose, someone picks it up. That's pretty much all you need. I want to play a hockey game where hits matter. That is achieved. I don't need ultra realistic, fully simulated hitting physics. It's already a very complicated system. Furthering that could have a lot of unintended results. At least I'd rather wait until the technology supported it. Not just processing power, but balance, possible exploits and sending all of that data via online play.

What you fail to realize is that; if the BASE of your game's code is solid, you can build anything off of it. Whether it's driving, flying or human based sports, the physics make it so that everything is grounded in the same reality and it works.

Physics are physics. They don't change because of the objects you are interacting with.

That's exactly what happened with beam. Modders saw that the engine was solid and had aerodynamics for the land vehicles. They made realistically modeled aircraft and they just worked because the engine was designed in a way that they would realistically work.

The devs had no intention of having aircraft in their game but because they did make a solid engine the modding community was able to put them in themselves.
  • I give you, the problem the prestige system created. Get back to custom classes where you can constantly refine
  • guacapoli wrote: »
    Playing strictly EASHL 3's, I have my level 50 3rd Prestige...now what?

There is nothing left to achieve in this stupid game. I miss leveling up and being able to edit my players attributes. This game gives you very little to work towards unless you're one of the mindless doofs who buy buy buy and buy more HUT packs.

try to get to 2k cr if want a carrot to chase.