EA Forums - Banner

Skating animation (vid)

Prev1

One of the really missing animations in EA hockey imo
How would you call that, explosiveness probably?

Replies

• Yeah that's a much more realistic startup. What we have now is too much of an exaggeration on how long it takes to get up to speed. They usually exaggerate their features so they'll stand out more.
  • What game is that?
  • Yeah that's a much more realistic startup. What we have now is too much of an exaggeration on how long it takes to get up to speed. They usually exaggerate their features so they'll stand out more.

The game could be improved quite a bit if EA set the default sliders in a configuration that made the game feel better. For instance, one of the quick and easy ways to get rid of the “skating in mud” feeling is to turn the acceleration up.

I don’t know how they decide to set the default sliders in the game, but I don’t think they do it from a ‘feel’ stand point. Seems to me like they are using algorithms which don’t translate well to a good feeling video game.
  • djneohockey
    721 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    What game is that?

I'm modding the last hockey game from 2k sports.
    It was a game build on that NBA 2k engine, developed for PC and then on final "optimized" for the Wii, so even that poor hardware could handle it.

So they crippled graphics and audio. But not the gameplay fortunately.
    The game has offensive and defensive skill stick, real-time presentation, physics based skating engine mo-captured by the real NHL players Ryan Kessler and Rick Nash (with bugs unfortunately), dozens of one touch dekes captured by Alexei Ovechkin, Stick lift 2.0, physics based faceoffs and body contact, online leagues, you can play anything co-op and so on..

Most importantly for me and even today, unmatched, organic, unscripted gameplay, that just feels like a hockey.
    It is hidden, rough diamond for sure.

What you see right now is that mod running on PC at 4K and 60fps. I'm working on it almost 3 year's now and call it 2KHS (2k hockey simulator)
  • Is there a playable version of your work at this point in time? Any idea when that may be if it's not available yet?
  • What game is that?

I'm modding the last hockey game from 2k sports.
    It was a game build on that NBA 2k engine, developed for PC and then on final "optimized" for the Wii, so even that poor hardware could handle it.

So they crippled graphics and audio. But not the gameplay fortunately.
    The game has offensive and defensive skill stick, real-time presentation, physics based skating engine mo-captured by the real NHL players Ryan Kessler and Rick Nash (with bugs unfortunately), dozens of one touch dekes captured by Alexei Ovechkin, Stick lift 2.0, physics based faceoffs and body contact, online leagues, you can play anything co-op and so on..

Most importantly for me and even today, unmatched, organic, unscripted gameplay, that just feels like a hockey.
    It is hidden, rough diamond for sure.

What you see right now is that mod running on PC at 4K and 60fps. I'm working on it almost 3 year's now and call it 2KHS (2k hockey simulator)

Wow. That’s awesome!

• jake19ny
    688 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Nice video and work on that. It looks awesome. Watching that video just reminds us of how badly this sport needs a developer that understands the game of hockey. EA has really trashed this series and all but given up on trying to capture the actual sport. I don’t expect this thread to remain open too long EA hates criticism and certainly doesn’t want to see that something better than there crap is in the works.
  • Nice vid!

Can your players do simple crossovers/strafing sideways while facing forward like along the blueline which isn’t possible in NHL 18. Yet in NHL 10 it was possible! :smirk:

• Wow 10 looked so much smoother in my opinion
  • mhandymanb wrote: »
    Nice vid!

Can your players do simple crossovers/strafing sideways while facing forward like along the blueline which isn’t possible in NHL 18. Yet in NHL 10 it was possible! :smirk:

Yes and unfortunately at almost same ridiculous speed as in that NHL 10 video hah.
    I consider this as one of the most annoying bug in 2khs.
    Player should not definitely skate sideways as fast as skating forward. That's denying physics.
    Nice vid!

Yes and unfortunately at almost same ridiculous speed as in that NHL 10 video hah.
    I consider this as one of the most annoying bug in 2khs.
    Player should not definitely skate sideways as fast as skating forward. That's denying physics.

Ok it could be slower but at least we should be able to do that in the NHL series.

Nice vid!

You think that’s realistic?

• djneohockey
    721 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    That make me throw controller through the screen haha :)
    Yes, it's should be possible, but definitely within the law of physics.
    Nice vid!

You think that’s realistic?

Maybe a bit slower but yes. It’s a simple skating technique that we’re not able to do in this series.
  • You know what I'd love to see? An animation where they like, quickly move sideways to get passed someone in their way instead of the pylon hockey EA does where you're churning feet but aren't getting passed the guy. Sometimes you can even be pushed or dragged bc of AI movement.
  • @djneohockey you didn't answer my question you son of a pup... To save you scrolling up is there a playable version of your work? If not any timetable on when?
  • CupCrazyMania
    16 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    @djneohockey you didn't answer my question you son of a pup... To save you scrolling up is there a playable version of your work? If not any timetable on when?

...zzz....your ar so lazy ....Google is your friend,... :-)

search 2khs or on facebook
  • MetalMilitia623
    1464 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    I have in the past and never found a download for it... Wow for being an emulation it looks like it runs very well.
  • jake19ny wrote: »
    Nice video and work on that. It looks awesome. Watching that video just reminds us of how badly this sport needs a developer that understands the game of hockey. EA has really trashed this series and all but given up on trying to capture the actual sport. I don’t expect this thread to remain open too long EA hates criticism and certainly doesn’t want to see that something better than there crap is in the works.

EA simply refuses to dump money into this game to make it like it should be by now. So if EA doesn't want to put money into it, why should I ???

Poor devs, I feel for you. I really do. No amount of money would be enough for me to work on this series, or almost any other EA product for that matter. Forced to add in garbage while not being able to work on core problems.... Sounds so fun....
  • jake19ny wrote: »

EA simply refuses to dump money into this game to make it like it should be by now. So if EA doesn't want to put money into it, why should I ???

Poor devs, I feel for you. I really do. No amount of money would be enough for me to work on this series, or almost any other EA product for that matter. Forced to add in garbage while not being able to work on core problems.... Sounds so fun....

If you haven't already read the article I've linked in my sig. I feel bad for any of the devs who sold to ea.