EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th

Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

Historic season possible?

Prev1
Hi EA,

I have a question.You all know how people love nostalgia.As do I.Why not give us a possibility to play a Historic season. Just imagine 1996/1997 season playable in NHL 19 .All the superstars and legends that everybody wants in the game anyway.And we have them today but on stupid cards.Se that means there is no licensing issue. I mean pick any season from the 90's and make it properly with correct presentation and people will go crazy.This is a good idea.Opinions?

Replies

• Of course you think it's a good idea, since it's yours.

In order for it to be a good idea, it needs to make sense. How many players in the player base would actually use the rosters from 1996-1997 ?

And sure, some of those stars are in the game already, but if you want it to be a true historical season, then 100% of the players need to be in it. That means for every Sakic you put in, don't forget the Craig Wolanin.

EA can't get current rosters right...I think it's a better idea to not have them waste time and resources on a feature that a very minimal amount of people will be using.
  • Well I am from NHL rebuilt community where we recreated almost the whole 90's. And it is very popular.The forum has 20 000 members.Also EA is aware of the need for nostalgia in players that is why we have 30 Legends in HUT. So it is not my idea my friend ;) I am just curious regarding the extension of this idea to a full season.Also where did you get your numbers when you say "minimal amount of people" ?I guess it is just yours ;)
  • djneohockey
    674 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    I love this idea and actually asked for it as a Gamechanger.
    3s was the answer. Like it or not.

And btw., the easiest obvious solution would be to let the community do the job and have fun with it in the process. All we need is roster share.
  • neonfish85 wrote: »
    Well I am from NHL rebuilt community where we recreated almost the whole 90's. And it is very popular.The forum has 20 000 members.Also EA is aware of the need for nostalgia in players that is why we have 30 Legends in HUT. So it is not my idea my friend ;) I am just curious regarding the extension of this idea to a full season.Also where did you get your numbers when you say "minimal amount of people" ?I guess it is just yours ;)

A full season is pointless.

Now bring it to Franchise where you can rebuild history like you do in FHM4 and I'm all for it. Could take my Sens from their humble beginnings back in the league at the start of the 90's and try to rebuild them.

But for a single season...no thank you. Because while you want it to be 1996-1997, I'd like to play as the Nordiques. Or the Whalers. Or the Isles at the start of the 1980s.

There's a huge difference between getting 30 legends in the game and a full blown roster set for an entire year and have it all accurate. As I already said, EA can't even do current rosters right.

But if left in the hands of the community ? Sure.
  • Historical challenges, like in FHM 4, but not only one, but several per one team (unlock one after you finish one)....that would be GREAT !!!!
  • See, I really like this idea. Pin my '91/'92 Pens vs my '80s Islanders (Lemieux vs Bossy)('80s Isles Trottier vs '91/'92 Pens Trottier....lol). I'd be happy if they just programed the players attributes, ratings for what they should be and gave us just player #s to identify them as (66, 22, 19, 68, etc).

Problem (for me anyway) is I am a stickler for making things look Authentic when doing historic type stuff (weather it be movies or plays or reenactments or video games). Would EA take the time and get the Small Details correct

* The dump that was known as the Civic Arena....oops Mellon Arena - players didn't come onto the ice from the benches, they came out of the end zone gates (opponent came out the Zamboni gate)...previous games EA had them coming onto the ice from the benches!
    * Boston Garden, Montreal Forum, Chicago Stadium, the Aud in Buffalo were all smaller rinks than those of the Standard sized rinks back then. Would EA take the time and get that detail correct?
    * Uniforms - Yes EA has some of the classic CCM box cut jerseys already in the game but certain uniforms are not. For instance, EA has the RBK Edge version of the NJ Devils Red/Green instead of the CCM box cut style (the RBK rounded baby onsie bottom hem wasn't around in the '50s - early '00s). The '91/'92 North Stars uniforms aren't in the game. The Selanne Era Winnipeg Jets uniforms aren't in the game

again, this is just me! NHL Moments LIVE was a cool feature but take Lemieux's 5 goals 5 different way, can you repeat history? go to play that moment and ...Lemieux was on a line with Crosby? Crosby was baby when Lemieux accomplished that feat (to me that's just lazy)...smh!

• I would rather see eashl practice mode then this crap
  • Not only were those rinks smaller they had different shapes as well. Some being more elliptical shape than the rectangle with rounded edges.
  • I like nostalgia too, but EA should fix the gameplay before even considering spending tons of money licensing ex-players, old jerseys, and old stadiums. There's far too many problems with this game to be spending money on extraneous stuff.
  • MikeyAU630 wrote: »
    I like nostalgia too, but EA should fix the gameplay before even considering spending tons of money licensing ex-players, old jerseys, and old stadiums. There's far too many problems with this game to be spending money on extraneous stuff.

Oh no doubt, Gameplay should be EAs #1 Priority from here until the next 5,6,7 years (to catch up to those bugs. issues that are OLD as dirt and have been ignored all those years) but we all know that ain't gonna happen, so at this point, all we got left is to fantasize about Game modes or Features we would like to see...lol
  • joefitz22 wrote: »
    MikeyAU630 wrote: »
    I like nostalgia too, but EA should fix the gameplay before even considering spending tons of money licensing ex-players, old jerseys, and old stadiums. There's far too many problems with this game to be spending money on extraneous stuff.

Oh no doubt, Gameplay should be EAs #1 Priority from here until the next 5,6,7 years (to catch up to those bugs. issues that are OLD as dirt and have been ignored all those years) but we all know that ain't gonna happen, so at this point, all we got left is to fantasize about Game modes or Features we would like to see...lol

"I used to work for a financial software company. Anytime there was a bug related to the old legacy code, they just told the client to live with it. Of course none of those bugs were critical, just annoying."

Read this on reddit in relation to escape from tarkov releasing many hot fixes to fix many legacy issues in the coming week.

BSG is communicating at least once a week if not more often their patch plans and other things that are going on with their game. They are a relatively small company compared to ea yet they are able to communicate much more efficiently than ea. How's that possible?

"I used to work for a financial software company. Anytime there was a bug related to the old legacy code, they just told the client to live with it. Of course none of those bugs were critical, just annoying."

Read this on reddit in relation to escape from tarkov releasing many hot fixes to fix many legacy issues in the coming week.

BSG is communicating at least once a week if not more often their patch plans and other things that are going on with their game. They are a relatively small company compared to ea yet they are able to communicate much more efficiently than ea. How's that possible?

Magic, that’s how they communicate nore efficiently LOL
    joefitz22 wrote: »

Magic, that’s how they communicate nore efficiently LOL

Those crazy Russians and their magic.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Eldur74 wrote: »
    EA can't get current rosters right...I think it's a better idea to not have them waste time and resources on a feature that a very minimal amount of people will be using.

When a player isn't on the right roster it's for a couple of different reasons. Either they moved after the update was complete or they didn't give EA permission to put them in. Every player has to sign an agreement with EA that allows them to be in the game.
  • Iirc it's @Skrappy3957 who knows someone who is in the game who has never seen this agreement before. So who knows if it's just for nhl players or not a thing at all.
  • Iirc it's @Skrappy3957 who knows someone who is in the game who has never seen this agreement before. So who knows if it's just for nhl players or not a thing at all.

Ex player, he's a assistant coach now in the WHL. He only played a few games in the NHL but spent a majority of his time in the AHL and over in Europe but yes as I said he's never even seen nor heard of this waiver signing form to be in the game...

... Moving forward if you think about it also a few guys from a team don't wanna sign this form, what's EA to do? It messes up that teams roster as well as potentially that league so you'd think EA's contract is for that league making it so all the teams are under contract which would make more sense... Which could be as long as that guys on that teams roster EA's allowed to put him in the game? But who knows I have no clue I just know my ex teammate has never signed nor heard of this waiver form
  • Sinbin wrote: »

When a player isn't on the right roster it's for a couple of different reasons. Either they moved after the update was complete or they didn't give EA permission to put them in. Every player has to sign an agreement with EA that allows them to be in the game.

Please supply a source for this ludicrous statement.
  • Last gen FIFA used to have the ability to create teams and players on an online database that you could download and play offline. Of course it was fun and mostly free so they killed it and its not in current gen FIFA. But a creation centre that allowed us to create our own players and teams, with customized crests and jerseys would be awesome. Doubt EA would do it and some lawyer would probably sue anyway as that's the kind of world we live in now.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Sinbin wrote: »

It was frequently brought up on their Facebook page when people would ask why X player isn't in the game. I'm not digging through all their posts. They also don't have someone responding as much as they used to, but they had stated that each player needed to sign an agreement with EA that allowed for them to be in the game. This is a for profit game. You can't just use real people in a game and then sell it without their permission.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »

It was frequently brought up on their Facebook page when people would ask why X player isn't in the game. I'm not digging through all their posts. They also don't have someone responding as much as they used to, but they had stated that each player needed to sign an agreement with EA that allowed for them to be in the game. This is a for profit game. You can't just use real people in a game and then sell it without their permission.

Well I figured since you have NHL rights, and the players belong to the NHL, it doesn't require player signatures.

Anywho...