EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 - Gameplay trailer

Check out all we've shared about the new features and discuss it right here.

AI in NHL 18 is beyond shocking

Replies

• It’s so stupid. I can’t believe how badly they messed this up it’s infuriafing to play. Doing the challenges I feel like a psycho I’m screaming at the TV saying they cheated again!!!!

100%
  • Just got the game for Christmas and had been playing with my nephews for the last couple weeks, so mainly human v human. It was fun stuff. The controls are a little different than on the PS3, and the game feels a little more sluggish, but figured I’d get used to it. Not the case - MAN I feel like I suck. Played since NHL 95 and have played hockey my whole life, so I know the game, but I just keep getting worked. Scores aren’t brutal, but the shots are like 45-15, and their passing is consistently 85-90%. I even went and did all the basic training lol. Thought I was missing something.
    Glad I found this thread - normally Superstar is a decent enough challenge, but All-star with this is laying a beating. I did a little better in Threes, so hopefully it comes with time and/or EA figures out how to chill a bit.
  • Sinbin
    1245 posts Member
    trw1987 wrote: »
    My biggest gripe is the nigh superman esque reflexes and reactions the AI makes. The reason it seems that way is simple: Input lag. The AI is reacting to your input before your controlled skater does. In reality, it should be the other way around. That explains their lightning like defence...however, doesn’t explain why “seem less puck pickups” are broken for users not AI, how they seemingly aren’t affected by monster hits, how the puck glues to them, or how your controlled players suddenly can’t keep up when ahead by a goal.

Seamless is misused here. It doesn't mean you just pick up any puck within reach. It means you pick up the puck on the go and lose little forward momentum when you do.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    trw1987 wrote: »
    My biggest gripe is the nigh superman esque reflexes and reactions the AI makes. The reason it seems that way is simple: Input lag. The AI is reacting to your input before your controlled skater does. In reality, it should be the other way around. That explains their lightning like defence...however, doesn’t explain why “seem less puck pickups” are broken for users not AI, how they seemingly aren’t affected by monster hits, how the puck glues to them, or how your controlled players suddenly can’t keep up when ahead by a goal.

Seamless is misused here. It doesn't mean you just pick up any puck within reach. It means you pick up the puck on the go and lose little forward momentum when you do.

I'd have to say a big problem with the pick-ups the way they are now is that some weird games it doesn't feel like you are picking up the puck. It feels like the puck is picking you up, and what I mean by that is it feels like new momentum is being created whenever you "pick up" a puck. This makes for a very frustrating experience when the puck changes sticks (hands) numerous times in a second.
  • joefitz22 wrote: »
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    Crosby8789 wrote: »
    If I knew how to upload videos to share here, I would. There have been some really horrific A.I moments in some of the games I've played.

If you play on Xbox one, go xboxdvr.com. Type in your gamer tag and all of your game clips will show up. Just copy the link and post away

Thanks, I too was oblivious on how to upload videos to the Forums.

Same here..if I can get it working I have a lot of video i have been saving showing how this game hates us
  • The Ai lately in this series do way too much for a player. I swear majority of people I play in HUT run the trap and just have an Ai pressure me will they sit back and don't do anything themselves. It's quite frustrating too is when an Ai can disrupt a pass with their stick even though they are not facing the puck or puck carrier.

Also what I don't understand about the Ai is why they will crash the net like a forward if say I'm down a man or I want them to stay at the point to get for a pass or get ready shot. But nope, Pronger insists on crashing the net a forward.
  • First time posting here, just to ask if anyone has found any solutions to this. I've played the NHL franchise since 2002, and this is the worst AI I have ever experienced in this series. The game is simply unplayable - unless you want to play on Pro and just beat every team by 5 or more goals. I want some kind of competition but the AI on any difficulty above Pro doesn't exactly make the game harder to play - it makes it impossible, and every single bounce goes to the CPU while every single call also goes their way. I want a challenge, I don't want the CPU literally cheating and having the puck bounce their way every single time.

I have messed with the sliders a ton to try and fix this but nothing seems to work. Just for fun I put the CPU faceoff difficulty at zero (playing on All Star). Could still only win about 1/3 of faceoffs. Even putting CPU teammate penalties on 0 means that your CPU players take at least 2 penalties per game. I don't understand what the point of sliders are if they don't do anything.

I turned all the CPU penalty sliders up by about 30 points, otherwise I never get a PP.

There are a number of guaranteed things that seem to happen every game:
    -When I finally score a goal, the CPU gets some ridiculous soft goal 30 seconds later by just throwing the puck towards the net and it takes a hop/bounce/whatever and goes in.
    -If the CPU has a shot on net in the last 20 seconds of a period, it's guaranteed to go in, no matter what the score is.
    - Faceoffs become near impossible when you are on the PP or killing a penalty.
    - If you hit a player, the puck goes underneath them while they are on the ice and stays there until they are ready to stand up and take possession of the puck again.
    - Poke checking sends the puck directly onto the tape of an opposition player 9 times out of 10.

I also just played a game where my game tying goal was waived off for 'goalie interference' when nobody was anywhere near the goalie. So I guess that's realistic.

I'm getting ready to return this game because all it's doing is making me yell at the TV whenever I play it.
  • brendonw27 wrote: »
    First time posting here, just to ask if anyone has found any solutions to this. I've played the NHL franchise since 2002, and this is the worst AI I have ever experienced in this series. The game is simply unplayable - unless you want to play on Pro and just beat every team by 5 or more goals. I want some kind of competition but the AI on any difficulty above Pro doesn't exactly make the game harder to play - it makes it impossible, and every single bounce goes to the CPU while every single call also goes their way. I want a challenge, I don't want the CPU literally cheating and having the puck bounce their way every single time.

I have messed with the sliders a ton to try and fix this but nothing seems to work. Just for fun I put the CPU faceoff difficulty at zero (playing on All Star). Could still only win about 1/3 of faceoffs. Even putting CPU teammate penalties on 0 means that your CPU players take at least 2 penalties per game. I don't understand what the point of sliders are if they don't do anything.

I turned all the CPU penalty sliders up by about 30 points, otherwise I never get a PP.

-When I finally score a goal, the CPU gets some ridiculous soft goal 30 seconds later by just throwing the puck towards the net and it takes a hop/bounce/whatever and goes in.
    -If the CPU has a shot on net in the last 20 seconds of a period, it's guaranteed to go in, no matter what the score is.
    - If you hit a player, the puck goes underneath them while they are on the ice and stays there until they are ready to stand up and take possession of the puck again.
    - Poke checking sends the puck directly onto the tape of an opposition player 9 times out of 10.

I also just played a game where my game tying goal was waived off for 'goalie interference' when nobody was anywhere near the goalie. So I guess that's realistic.

I'm getting ready to return this game because all it's doing is making me yell at the TV whenever I play it.

Basically described NHL 18 in a nutshell. And no, there is nothing you can do to change/fix it. It is what it is. I suggest returning it based on what you typed as there is no way to change it. CPU simply cheats more on higher settings.
  • Did we talk about the AI that have a the same reflex as me (a very noob hockey player IRL)? Where the AI just can't pick up the puck when I dislodge my opponent's puck and that puck goes to my player just a few distance away and he still cant pick up the puck because he is too dumb?
    Or about the fact that there is a loose puck near the goalie and my AI decide to retreat instead of getting to the puck?

• Basically described NHL 18 in a nutshell. And no, there is nothing you can do to change/fix it. It is what it is. I suggest returning it based on what you typed as there is no way to change it. CPU simply cheats more on higher settings.

Tried playing tonight again, CPU scored 3 times on 5 shots, all on weak shots that should not have gone in, had about 5 faceoffs on special teams and lost all of them. It's the same thing every time, and I'm over it.

This is the first NHL game that I'm ever going to return to the store before the new one is out. 16 years I've been playing this game and this is the worst one ever. Way to take a great franchise and run it into the ground, EA.
  • I can usually overcome the cheating, it's the soft goals that they constantly score, and the weak animation the chose for you goalie for those goals that's frustrating. Goalie goes down on a clear shot for no reason when the shot is going top.......
  • brendonw27 wrote: »
    First time posting here, just to ask if anyone has found any solutions to this. I've played the NHL franchise since 2002, and this is the worst AI I have ever experienced in this series. The game is simply unplayable - unless you want to play on Pro and just beat every team by 5 or more goals. I want some kind of competition but the AI on any difficulty above Pro doesn't exactly make the game harder to play - it makes it impossible, and every single bounce goes to the CPU while every single call also goes their way. I want a challenge, I don't want the CPU literally cheating and having the puck bounce their way every single time.

Basically described NHL 18 in a nutshell. And no, there is nothing you can do to change/fix it. It is what it is. I suggest returning it based on what you typed as there is no way to change it. CPU simply cheats more on higher settings.

amen to that this game is totally broken ..as soon you go over pro level ...the fix is in..
    it s just dumb ..i regret trading in nhl legacy on ps3 for that mess!
    im waiting for the miracle patch ...i play fifa18 right now .now this is worth your well earn money
    cheers
    MRSENATEURS
  • AI in general should be much better at positioning and in situational awareness. Increasing the difficulty should not cause more errors by your AI players and easy goals, but tighter checking and overall gameplay. I swear your AI defensemen leave players open and/or leave their position on purpose and the higher the difficulty setting, the more it happens.
  • AI in general should be much better at positioning and in situational awareness. Increasing the difficulty should not cause more errors by your AI players and easy goals, but tighter checking and overall gameplay. I swear your AI defensemen leave players open and/or leave their position on purpose and the higher the difficulty setting, the more it happens.

Your AI teammates also have no clue about where to position themselves for good scoring chances. How to be dangerous on an odd man rush, or what the blue line means. Also don't help you try and break out of the zone by getting open for a pass either.

Your AI teammates also have no clue about where to position themselves for good scoring chances. How to be dangerous on an odd man rush, or what the blue line means. Also don't help you try and break out of the zone by getting open for a pass either.

The problem with what you just wrote is that it worked well in the previous version. I can easily make passing plays because my AI is more or less well positioned. In NHL18, my AI is just dumb. In 2v0, he goes to the board instead of waiting for a one-timer. What is the used of rushing 2v0 if you just go to the board instead of going to the goalie for the one-timer? For real, I absolutely don't understand the logic behind this year NHL
  • BSDShoes
    103 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    I was watching my nephew play NHL 18, first thing I noticed about the AI is the adjustments it makes on itself throughout the game- a 83 speed player suddenly turns into The Flash when a breakaway occurs being able to catch up to a 95 speed player, or when an AI player in the middle of the offensive zone moving at normal speed and the puck becomes loose by the boards, he then suddenly moves at fast forward speed. Funnier yet, every AI player chases with his face against the puck carrier's back, it's pretty comical to watch.

A couple other things is poor AI awareness (saw 2 AI players run into each other a few times), and the inability to handle the puck, puck came loose from the stick multiple times- as if I was watching a junior peewee hockey game. And passing is abysmal.
  • Sorry for the length of this post....
    I'm just going to post this here for all of you that are used to playing on Superstar in past games and perhaps it may help with some of the issues you guys are having. The sliders below I've worked on since the game came out here and there, and they work pretty well for me.

Rules
    Game Style: Full SIM
    Post Whistle: Relaxed
    Rules: NHL
    Fighting: 1/2
    Icing: Hybrid
    Injuries: On
    Offsides: Delayed
    Penalties: 3/4 (can make this 4/4)
    Trapezoid: On
    Period Length: 8 Mins
    Difficulty: Superstar
    Penalty Time Scaling: 6/6
    Coincidental Penalty Time: 5/6

Sliders (CPU value first, Human Second when applicable)
    Gameplay Version: latest
    Attribute: 6
    Broken Stick: 35
    Game Speed: 2
    Fatigue Effect: 80/80
    Fatigue Recover: 50/50
    Injury: 50/50
    Back Skating: 60
    Hustle Type: Authentic
    Puck Carrier Agility: 55
    Puck Carrier Skating: 50
    Acceleration: 81/81
    Skate Speed: 50/50
    Skate Agility: 55/55
    One Timer Acc: 2/37
    Shot Acc: 0/30
    Shot Power: 55/55
    Slap Acc: 5/45
    Slap Power: 70/70
    Manual Pass: On
    Pass Assist: 30
    Min Pass Spd: 30
    Max Pass Spd: 67
    Saucer Speed: 45
    Pass Acc: 3/45
    Pass Intercept: 65/72
    Pass Reception: 10/15
    Reception Reaction: 25/25
    PC Rating Effect: 70/70
    Puck Speed Recpt Eff: 60/60
    Pickup Type: 65/50
    Bouncing Puck: 50/50
    Incidental Contact: Sticks, Leg, Body
    Incidental Immunity: 0
    Puck Control: 8/13
    Deking: 45/45
    Spin Deke: 65/65
    Skating: 5/5
    Goalie Cover Freq: 75
    Goalie Pass: 50
    Goalie Cross Crease: 50/50
    Goalie Save Reaction: 52/67
    Goalie Deflection: 28/28
    Goalie Screen: 90/90
    Goalie Screen Persist: 75/75
    Board Effect Non: 25
    Board Effect Puck: 20
    Hitting Assistance: 0
    Stumble Threshold: 50
    Aggression: 34/34
    Hitting Power: 37/35
    Size Effect: 42/42
    Speed Effect: 25/25
    Checking/Balance: 88/88
    Prepardness: 60/60
    Incidental Contact: 30/30
    Poke Range: 0/0
    Poke Acc: 30/35
    Poke Power: 70/90 (it won't always go right to their other guy with this much power, try to sweep the stick without tripping them, then position body between them and puck and pass as soon as you get it, I also found allowing CPU teammates to chase loose pucks works better)
    Stick Lift: 35/50
    CPU Penalties: 92
    CPU Teammate Pen: 30
    All Penalties other than elbowing and Interference: 56/46
    Elbowing: 25/20
    Interference: 89/79
    AI Learning: 6
    CPU Difficulty: 6
    CPU faceoff: 50
    Fight Difficulty: 40
    CPU Strategy: 6
    User Strategy: 0 (you really don't want this changing)

Some tips that I found to work:
    -Never chase CPU behind own net
    - Only hit in offensive zone or as CPU enters your zone along boards, but do not charge in
    - Pass, Pass, Pass, often and quickly.. only skate when you clearly have room to avoid the slug skating. If you are turned the wrong way.. Pass, pass backwards if you have to.. just keep it away from normal turnover spots.
    - I use manual line changes, so I dump the puck a lot
    - shoot from everywhere, do not try just glitch goals. These settings are set to eliminate their efficiency as much as possible and create more traffic, rebound and deflection induced goals. That's said, slot shots are still very much efficient so keep them away from slot at all costs.
    - use forehand on faceoffs. Or use backhand and go opposite of the backhand. So if you are lefty, aim to Right Defender, and vice versa. When they catch on, switch to push forward, or to normal backhand but prolong the hold on the joysticks.. don't just flick.. flick and hold down for a few extra milliseconds.

Hope this helps. If you try these and find issues still, let me know and I'll try to fix them for you!

PS, I'm exactly 4-4-0 with these settings. Average shots are about 35-25 me, goalies are above 90%, hits are normally 15 to 20 per team. I'm a little below 50% in faceoffs, and I have more powerplays than penalties by 7! Good luck!

• out of the new EA 2018 games. NHL is by far the worst. Cosmetically looks exactly the same as far as rinks, equipment and players go from years prior, teammate AI is brutal, exact same announcers, like word for word. At least update that or find new guys because eddy isnt even doing game calling due to his illness. Soundtrack is weak as well. Sure the new dekes are cool, aside from that it looks like they slapped a 2018 on a 2016 game. Very dissapointed.
  • Sadly there is no slider to make the AI behave like actual hockeyplayers on the ice.
  • You know the ai plays the same game as you do, right? That means anything they can do so can you. It's about knowing how to exploit the board play like they do. If you understand the range at which it works you too can pin/hold people for your advantage. I used to do it all the time in the older games.

This is simply not true and I'm surprised you would post such nonsense. It is an undeniable fact that the AI can board pin a player after he has already skated by for a longer time period than a user could.

Also, there are other things the AI can do that humans can't... for example: have you ever seen some of the holes AI shooters can find in AI goalies? Some of the goals that result from this are goals that are literally impossible to recreate as a human player.

You don't understand this game as well as you think you do, Echo. I think it's time you realized that.