EA Forums - Banner

Player Progression

Yes or no, simple enough. Should EA bring back player customization? Right down to height and weight, or some variation?

Me personally I would be ok if they gave us skate blade pattern, flex and blade patterns for sticks again, something that just adds a lil buff or two to certain attributes.

Replies

• Yes from me. Although I doubt I'm buying the game next year at this point.
  • yes for me and bring back builds
  • Yes! Yes! Yes!
  • Nooooooooo
  • I’d bet if EA brought this back a lot of people would buy again.
  • It doesn't have to be exactly the same, but they need SOME kind of rewards option to keep people playing. Incentives and rewards are always better than nothing, even if they just lock all but one of the current classes and make you play games to unlock the others.
  • mhandymanb wrote: »
    I’d bet if EA brought this back a lot of people would buy again.
    Let them keep playing world of Warcraft...

F dat! I know a lot of great players that stopped playing because progression/ability to edit attributes was removed. I want the player pool larger with greater players than it is now.

The player pool died off almost instantly for EASHL due to this, which regardless of what EA tries to say was right up there with HUT as far as popularity. Just meet us in the middle with at least giving us the chance to equip things like blade patter, skate blade radius, and stick flex, and hieght and weight. Id be happy with that
  • trw1987 wrote: »
    mhandymanb wrote: »

The player pool died off almost instantly for EASHL due to this, which regardless of what EA tries to say was right up there with HUT as far as popularity. Just meet us in the middle with at least giving us the chance to equip things like blade patter, skate blade radius, and stick flex, and hieght and weight. Id be happy with that

Honest question here, but with all the issues this game has, you really think having a bit of customization to your player would make you enjoy the game more? You think EASHL would get more popular?

The only reason I ask is, for me anyways, no amount of player customization would keep me interested in this game. There are so many issues with this game that the last thing on my mind is cookie cutter or custom players.
  • It doesn't have to be exactly the same, but they need SOME kind of rewards option to keep people playing. Incentives and rewards are always better than nothing, even if they just lock all but one of the current classes and make you play games to unlock the others.

The only way I would agree with you is if EA found a way to make rewards so fun that it would actually be boring to troll. As it is right now, what is stopping you from trolling? What are you missing out on if you troll? Simply put, nothing. That is where EA needs to step up.

No punishment plus nothing cool to gain and nothing at all to lose is simply a recipe for breeding haters and trollers.

yeah well, not so sure EA really should follow your business model, cuh.

you can still league with your MLG leaguers.
  • trw1987 wrote: »

Honest question here, but with all the issues this game has, you really think having a bit of customization to your player would make you enjoy the game more? You think EASHL would get more popular?

The only reason I ask is, for me anyways, no amount of player customization would keep me interested in this game. There are so many issues with this game that the last thing on my mind is cookie cutter or custom players.
    trw1987 wrote: »

It gave us something tangible to strive towards, not just aesthetically with "badges". I do believe, and the polls that have been produced(and promptly shut down by EA) by members has shown that the majority of EASHLers would like that ability back
  • NuttySportsFan
    429 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Theoretically, cookie-cutter builds sound great until you actually play as them and realize all of them feel a little bit off.

Then you have to consider for those who are clearly better than most at the game they say passing and shooting feels too similar across the board, with the exception of shot power...but accuracy is way more important in this game.

So you wind up with classes that can play just about as well as each other on offense, but drastically differ in physical and defensive categores.

Everyone ends up picking Power Forward and Grinder on offense. Defenseman end up picking Def Defenseman or TWD because Off Defenseman and Puck Moving Defenseman are too much of a liability on Defense when used by average players.

Then goalies just get the bad end of the deal, being allowed to pick if they can make high saves or low saves better...or equal to both. Nobody believes this makes any difference because sadly the game is in a horrible state for human manual goalies.

What this all means is nobody feels comfortable with the player type they choose. With some kind of attribute system (preferably everyone get equal points from the start and never any more handed out) you can get your player to feel the way you want them to.
  • Theoretically, cookie-cutter builds sound great until you actually play as them and realize all of them feel a little bit off.

Then you have to consider for those who are clearly better than most at the game they say passing and shooting feels too similar across the board, with the exception of shot power...but accuracy is way more important in this game.

So you wind up with classes that can play just about as well as each other on offense, but drastically differ in physical and defensive categores.

Everyone ends up picking Power Forward and Grinder on offense. Defenseman end up picking Def Defenseman or TWD because Off Defenseman and Puck Moving Defenseman are too much of a liability on Defense when used by average players.

Then goalies just get the bad end of the deal, being allowed to pick if they can make high saves or low saves better...or equal to both. Nobody believes this makes any difference because sadly the game is in a horrible state for human manual goalies.

What this all means is nobody feels comfortable with the player type they choose. With some kind of attribute system (preferably everyone get equal points from the start and never any more handed out) you can get your player to feel the way you want them to.

Exactly. Even if tweaking your guy wouldn't actually improve him, it gives you the impression that if you can just tweak it enough, it'll work. As it is now, if it feels off, you're screwed.
  • Theoretically, cookie-cutter builds sound great until you actually play as them and realize all of them feel a little bit off.

Exactly. Or like to mild equipment customization that offer pros and cons to each individual attribute

Even as one of the better players in this game I usually pick the “sniper” or “offensive dman” because they have the strongest attributes that I want and because of the way I play. I do notice their shooting skills are clearly the best of the bunch. Plus their great skating abilities allows me to either forecheck or backcheck very well and I can play a great two way game with both.

I don’t notice too much of a difference though with the offensive dman defensively as the others except that his stick isn’t as long as say the defensive dman.

Obviously size and physically they're the weakest but the way I play it isn’t a problem. Plus I can still line up opposing players and lay them out.

As for goalie, I always use the butterfly to help combat the lousy rebounds this game allows and because his glove is the best.

I’m all for bringing back the custom attribute system (equal points for all) because with a little tweaking to the sniper and offensive dman I can make exactly the player I want.
    Theoretically, cookie-cutter builds sound great until you actually play as them and realize all of them feel a little bit off.

Even as one of the better players in this game I usually pick the “sniper” or “offensive dman” because they have the strongest attributes that I want and because of the way I play. I do notice their shooting skills are clearly the best of the bunch. Plus their great skating abilities allows me to either forecheck or backcheck very well and I can play a great two way game with both.

I don’t notice too much of a difference though with the offensive dman defensively as the others except that his stick isn’t as long as say the defensive dman.

Obviously size and physically they're the weakest but the way I play it isn’t a problem. Plus I can still line up opposing players and lay them out.

As for goalie, I always use the butterfly to help combat the lousy rebounds this game allows and because his glove is the best.

I’m all for bringing back the custom attribute system (equal points for all) because with a little tweaking to the sniper and offensive dman I can make exactly the player I want.

That last bit is exactly what I'd be ok with. Let us tweak, if not full control the attributes. I love the power forward because it mirrors how I play IRL: A little physicality, strong shot, decent skating, good passing etc. But I would love to maybe add a bit better shot blocking to my PF, or better passing. Or distribute them equally ya know?