EA Forums - Banner

NHL 18 slow sluggish and unresponsive

Prev1
I have never been on these forums before but enough is enough. I bought NHL 18 only because it was on sale for $18 on PSN. I have been playing NHL my entire life and would literally play NHL 08-15 on Xbox 360 every single day for hours. Ever since the new generation of games have come out for PS4 and Xbox One, NHL has been a mess. Almost as if EA has given it to the interns as a test project.

From NHL 15-18 on PS4 and Xbox One, players are extremely unresponsive, as if they are moving through quick sand and are overwhelmed by doing more than 1 thing at once. Passing is extremely delayed as well. If I am picking up the puck in the zone and see a player breaking out, I want to hit them with a quick pass. I can press R2 once or 20 times, regardless, the player has to hold the puck unresponsive for 2 full seconds before you can do anything with him. This also result in my passing the puck to random spots of the ice because I will point to where I want it to go and press R2 to release the pass and anticipate the pass being release as it would on 360 and begin to control the receiving player. The delay usually cause me to throw the puck into the boards.

Stick handling is another problem, it is almost impossible because it is so slow. It is fully animated slow motion like watching a Mighty Ducks movie... protecting the puck and angling your passes just isn't a thing anymore because your opponent can watch the 2 second animation it takes to shift the puck and has time to defend you you because of the 2 second release delay.

Skating is a disaster. I get its supposed to be realistic but it is far from realistic, you cant carve turns like you used to, the player come to almost a full stop, no crossovers to change direction while accelerating. Everything is interpreted as if you are stopping on your edges. Curling resembles a full stop.

Picking up loose pucks and receiving passes... Non-existent. Can't count how many times there has been a puck sitting in the middle of the ice or rebound to a player that just skates right through it without even some sort of a hint that the AI of the player has any idea where the puck even is. Literally will have pucks sitting in the trapezoid and my defenseman just skate right over it.

Changing players almost always goes to the player the furthest from the play...

AI doesn't fill open spots on the ice anymore when cycling the puck in the zone.

Stick lifts are extremely slow, especially if you miss the stick lift and your player just sits there until he finishes the 3 second long animation instead of skating with the play like would actually happen.

When you are the one being stick lifted, you always lose the puck even if it was a poorly timed, bad angled stick lift. The defenseman will skate away from the stick lift while the puck is still in front of your player and he'll just skate over it like it doesn't exit....

I can't be the only one that has noticed all these problems. How has someone at EA not been fired over this? NHL series for previous generation was such a masterpiece and now its garbage. Is it because lack of competition from 2K sports that EA just releases half heart NHL releases...? Every year I hope EA fixed upon the previous year when they just add more ultimate team players card and keep the same garbage gameplay.

Replies

  • cogsx86
    787 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Looks like someone needs to start practicing and learning how to skate properly

    As for cycling the puck, the AI has never been this good, compared to other years.
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • The game is a mess.
  • Bardockian1
    75 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    COGSx86 wrote: »
    Looks like someone needs to start practicing and learning how to skate properly

    As for cycling the puck, the AI has never been this good, compared to other years.

    I disagree. In NHL11 when I would use overload, there would always be a teammate skating to the corner and in proper position to receive the puck (not facing the defenders like what happens on current gen a lot) and the rotations were quick and the cut to the net after the pass was instant. On Current gen, it takes a while for the players to get to their overload position (mainly because they don't know how to do a zone entry). I also find that so many times when getting the puck, they will be fading backwards which limits what you can do when you get the puck because pivoting on current gen is abysmal.

    Overload has been my go to for years because the low cycle has always worked pretty good but now I don't use it at all because of the problems I have previously mentioned. If they brought back Created Plays, it would help a lot with most of those issues.

    I now use Behind The Net to set up a cycle but players are so spread out that it is almost impossible to run a tight low cycle so my options are limited.
  • It's not about practice. It's about the game. Took me until NHL 18 wasting money every year to finally post something. I'll make a comparison video of nhl 18 to 360 nhl 15. I'll see if I can record the controller and sync with gameplay. The game just simply doesn't respond
  • The ai was so much better in some ways back in the day. Worse in others... But much better in some. Overall ai has been fairly bad forever.
  • ''Changing players almost always goes to the player the furthest from the play...''

    100% agreed, it make me rage when i am in defensive zone.. i see the guy going in the middle to make top corner and i can't change player to block it.. i rage everytime it happen.
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2514 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    I got smashed Superbowl Sunday, came home and purchased PS Plus despite swearing off online gaming... (the things booze will do to you).

    I dunno if it cause no one plays NHL anymore but I've played 5 or 6 EASHL dropin games since and they've all played magnificently well. Absolutely lagless.
  • yep game is a slow mess and a disaster. they refuse to admit their mistakes and instead of giving us good gameplay, they thought NHL THREES was the answer smh.
  • the delay is pathetic. What are the wins even worth ?

    60$ and lots of frustration.
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    Looks like someone needs to start practicing and learning how to skate properly

    As for cycling the puck, the AI has never been this good, compared to other years.

    I disagree. In NHL11 when I would use overload, there would always be a teammate skating to the corner and in proper position to receive the puck (not facing the defenders like what happens on current gen a lot) and the rotations were quick and the cut to the net after the pass was instant. On Current gen, it takes a while for the players to get to their overload position (mainly because they don't know how to do a zone entry). I also find that so many times when getting the puck, they will be fading backwards which limits what you can do when you get the puck because pivoting on current gen is abysmal.

    Overload has been my go to for years because the low cycle has always worked pretty good but now I don't use it at all because of the problems I have previously mentioned. If they brought back Created Plays, it would help a lot with most of those issues.

    I now use Behind The Net to set up a cycle but players are so spread out that it is almost impossible to run a tight low cycle so my options are limited.

    add me, lets play.

    Overload hasnt worked this good in year. Coming up the half wall and dropping the puck into the corner works perfectly.
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • I will say this...the input lag this year is TERRIBLE. Part of me wonders if it's due to the shift to straight wireless controllers, much like wifi, you lose some in the transfer of information...it's killer right now. 1/2 second input delay or worse
  • trw1987 wrote: »
    ...the input lag this year is TERRIBLE. Part of me wonders if it's due to the shift to straight wireless controllers...

    Umm when were the controllers not wireless?

  • trw1987 wrote: »
    ...the input lag this year is TERRIBLE. Part of me wonders if it's due to the shift to straight wireless controllers...

    Umm when were the controllers not wireless?

    Right up to PS3 and xbox 360 you still had corded controllers as well as wireless. Way to make a dude feel old lol. On 360 I never had an input lag as bad as when I went with my wireless
  • Pc players will tell you that wired kb/m setups are better than wireless for hardcore gaming as they have much less or no input delay. Same goes for consoles.

    While wireless technology is getting better there is always going to be some delay.
  • trw1987 wrote: »
    trw1987 wrote: »
    ...the input lag this year is TERRIBLE. Part of me wonders if it's due to the shift to straight wireless controllers...

    Umm when were the controllers not wireless?

    Right up to PS3 and xbox 360 you still had corded controllers as well as wireless. Way to make a dude feel old lol. On 360 I never had an input lag as bad as when I went with my wireless

    sorry should have made it clear, i was talking in reference to your statement that input lag "this year" is terrible. Then you mentioned wireless controllers. which have been used by basically everyone since NHL09. Thought that was kind of a weird statement.

    it's not the wireless... it's the combination of new console and coding of game.

    never once had input lag of any kind on ps3 in this game. Had other problems but never "input" lag.
  • Wired controllers are readily available. Console gaming has such a huge delay compared to PC that switching to a wired controller does not make a difference.

    Thete is absolutely input lag in NHL18, same as other years. It seems the shot input response has changed greatly this year, and it seems to have affected the skill stick a ton also.

    Its odd having the violently and suddenly jam the right stick for a quick wrist shot, when in years past it was almost too easy to accidently take a wrister.
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    Looks like someone needs to start practicing and learning how to skate properly

    As for cycling the puck, the AI has never been this good, compared to other years.

    looks like you need a wakeup call, this game is trash
  • trw1987
    396 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Wired controllers are readily available. Console gaming has such a huge delay compared to PC that switching to a wired controller does not make a difference.

    Thete is absolutely input lag in NHL18, same as other years. It seems the shot input response has changed greatly this year, and it seems to have affected the skill stick a ton also.

    Its odd having the violently and suddenly jam the right stick for a quick wrist shot, when in years past it was almost too easy to accidently take a wrister.

    I would call partial **** on that bit...The difference between my wired and wireless controllers on the 360 was night and day...

Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.