EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 - Gameplay trailer

Check out all we've shared about the new features and discuss it right here.

Why the lag?

Prev1
Averaging 12-14ms since games release until February. Now I average 30ms. I know others have mentioned this and that I'm not alone.

What's going on EA?

Replies

• 604 area code...using telus?

B)

jus' sayin....
    Tastes Good With The Money https://youtube.com/watch?v=GS4dO-0YI2E
  • xxH3llsp4wNxx
    253 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    6 friends all playing on the west coast, some of us had west coast pings, the rest of the party had east coast pings. Trash game, and very badly made. Everyone lagging. EA's ping and connection quality meter are garbage, can't even make that right. I'm not even mad anymore, it's actually entertaining and laughable that this same team is still developing the game. At least now you can just wait a few months and get it free now. Then come back and share some laughs about how bad the game is.
  • 6 friends all playing on the west coast, some of us had west coast pings, the rest of the party had east coast pings. Trash game, and very badly made. Everyone lagging. EA's ping and connection quality meter are garbage, can't even make that right. I'm not even mad anymore, it's actually entertaining and laughable that this same team is still developing the game. At least now you can just wait a few months and get it free now. Then come back and share some laughs about how bad the game is.

Concur amd agree with every single word.

Pretty sure paying $60 I'm an entitled to a function working game. What is functional about lagging 70% of the time ?

Not like it just happened this year. Its been YEARS of this crap.

Jokes on us though eh
  • Same here, averaged 13-16 ping until feb where im now averaging 30-35. Game is terrible and rly unenjoyable at this ping esp EASHL. What the **** happened in february?? Get better servers EA **** its 2018
  • Knees007 wrote: »
    Same here, averaged 13-16 ping until feb where im now averaging 30-35. Game is terrible and rly unenjoyable at this ping esp EASHL. What the **** happened in february?? Get better servers EA **** its 2018

where ya located and who is your ISP
  • Socair
    1571 posts Game Changer
    Looks like this issue is affecting various westerners from month to month. Bizarre.
    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator

Yeah dude. You getting issues too right?
  • LowJacK_604
    169 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    I can confirm that it isn't my ISP. I've reset my router and ran speed tests before and after. Same results 15ms latency. 60mb down 21mb up. Some things up with the EA West Coast Server or how we're getting directed.

Something definitely changed. Multiple people have reported the same issue. No word from EA as to what or why.
  • I can confirm that it isn't my ISP. I've reset my router and ran speed tests before and after. Same results 15ms latency. 60mb down 21mb up. Some things up with the EA West Coast Server or how we're getting directed.

Something definitely changed. Multiple people have reported the same issue. No word from EA as to what or why.

I'm still going with a less than optimal route, not going thru Vancouver / Seattle. Might be getting routed back towards Chicago or Denver then to Cali....

Just sayin it's possible.

B)

• Knees007 wrote: »
    Same here, averaged 13-16 ping until feb where im now averaging 30-35. Game is terrible and rly unenjoyable at this ping esp EASHL. What the **** happened in february?? Get better servers EA **** its 2018

where ya located and who is your ISP

Montreal,QC with videotron

Got 120 Dl and 20 upload. Should be enough to run smoothly, no?
  • It happened to one of my friend too who's from qc too but with BELL, so i doubt its the ISP
  • Sinbin
    1247 posts Member
    I can confirm that it isn't my ISP. I've reset my router and ran speed tests before and after. Same results 15ms latency. 60mb down 21mb up. Some things up with the EA West Coast Server or how we're getting directed.

You can't base the quality of your connection on speed alone. You need to test for packet loss.
  • Sinbin wrote: »

You can't base the quality of your connection on speed alone. You need to test for packet loss.

They are referencing a consistent increase in the ping mon tool.

As far as the Telus users, I still remain suspicious of how and where they are being routed to the US. I saw Rsall's trace and there was delay in their network. He switched providers and the time reduced. It is possible Telus had a peering agreement change or a route change due to fault detection or there is a saturated point. Just saying it is possible. That's why I keep saying in this or the other thread(s) that they need to call Telus and reference these threads.

There are now 5 or 6 Telus users out west saying the same things, getting the same speeds while people in US (Cali) are showing no increase in latency / delay.

Again, I think it is possible they are being routed back towards Denver or Chicago to get into the US and not over a Seattle peering point, or they may have a break / fix issue / less than optimal route (i.e. being routed "clockwise" vs "counter clockwise" on a metro ring for example) in place. Tier 1 folks are not going to know or acknowledge something like that. They are going to look from the serving switch to their premise modem and run tests between the local serving switch and the modem. They are not looking at international packet and transit, VLANs past the local access or NNI / peering and external routing.
  • Socair
    1571 posts Game Changer
    Sinbin wrote: »

They are referencing a consistent increase in the ping mon tool.

As far as the Telus users, I still remain suspicious of how and where they are being routed to the US. I saw Rsall's trace and there was delay in their network. He switched providers and the time reduced. It is possible Telus had a peering agreement change or a route change due to fault detection or there is a saturated point. Just saying it is possible. That's why I keep saying in this or the other thread(s) that they need to call Telus and reference these threads.

There are now 5 or 6 Telus users out west saying the same things, getting the same speeds while people in US (Cali) are showing no increase in latency / delay.

Again, I think it is possible they are being routed back towards Denver or Chicago to get into the US and not over a Seattle peering point, or they may have a break / fix issue / less than optimal route (i.e. being routed "clockwise" vs "counter clockwise" on a metro ring for example) in place. Tier 1 folks are not going to know or acknowledge something like that. They are going to look from the serving switch to their premise modem and run tests between the local serving switch and the modem. They are not looking at international packet and transit, VLANs past the local access or NNI / peering and external routing.
    It’s happened to shaw users as well.
  • Run a trace to West Coast: 159.153.68.252

I saw the vast majority of the delay in RSall's trace in Telus is all I am sayin. Once it hit the US it went very quickly to that destination IP.
  • Run a trace to West Coast: 159.153.68.252

I saw the vast majority of the delay in RSall's trace in Telus is all I am sayin. Once it hit the US it went very quickly to that destination IP.

So I fired up some Sam Adams, my trial of NHL that I had 5 hours left on and had my buddy in Edmonton (TELUS) install his free trial of NHL 18.

I had 38 ms (this what I assume was west coast as I get 12 ~ ms to the east) and he had 35 to 39. This pretty much confirmed it for me. And he said it was real sluggish.... lots of delay.

so, yeah... I am thinking it is possible (or likely at this point) that there is a routing issue going on that is either causing excessive delay the users in question (TELUS) may be indeed not be using a direct peering point to the U.S. such as Vancouver / Seattle. OR they are being routed in a less than optimal manner, i.e. clockwise vs. counter clockwise on a large metro ring.
  • and he normally would get around ~19ms to that west server with responsive inputs.
  • Socair
    1571 posts Game Changer
    and he normally would get around ~19ms to that west server with responsive inputs.

I’m in Calgary with Shaw and consistently get 24-30ms to the west. How can someone further away get a lower ping? Not saying it’s a lie, just honestly want to know if it’s a DSL/cable thing or what.
  • Socair wrote: »
    and he normally would get around ~19ms to that west server with responsive inputs.

I’m in Calgary with Shaw and consistently get 24-30ms to the west. How can someone further away get a lower ping? Not saying it’s a lie, just honestly want to know if it’s a DSL/cable thing or what.

depends on the routing, the peering points and contracts the providers have in place. he would usually get 19-23 if I recall in 17. he's got some business class gig connection I believe.

key point tho is he also is a Telus user and is seeing times doubled (or what have you) and was complaining of significant delay... just like the numerous others here of late.