EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

image
Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

The Tilt

Replies

  • Sinbin wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »

    While it is true what you say, problem is, if you go back say 5 or 6 years, you could literally get destroyed. Seems last 3 years have been alot more forgiving for weaker teams in EASHL. A team has to be incredibly bad to get blown out of the water.

    It's easier to defend now. You have better tools than before. The game doesn't favor offense as much as it used to. So, is the issue that people are able to defend a lot better so now it's harder to come back? That's not some in game mechanic favoring one team over the other. That's people learning how to defend according to the new tools they're given. If a team is truly weak, they're going to lose the majority of their games.

    You're not paying attention today.

    It is easier to come back than ever before.

    You said this: Seems last 3 years have been alot more forgiving for weaker teams in EASHL. I read that as weaker teams being better now. What am I missing here?

    That is exactly what I am saying, but in your previous post you state better defence is making it harder to come back for weaker teams.

    Maybe I am the one who isn't getting it, but it seems you are contradicting yourself. Maybe I am missing something..
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Sinbin wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »

    While it is true what you say, problem is, if you go back say 5 or 6 years, you could literally get destroyed. Seems last 3 years have been alot more forgiving for weaker teams in EASHL. A team has to be incredibly bad to get blown out of the water.

    It's easier to defend now. You have better tools than before. The game doesn't favor offense as much as it used to. So, is the issue that people are able to defend a lot better so now it's harder to come back? That's not some in game mechanic favoring one team over the other. That's people learning how to defend according to the new tools they're given. If a team is truly weak, they're going to lose the majority of their games.

    You're not paying attention today.

    It is easier to come back than ever before.

    You said this: Seems last 3 years have been alot more forgiving for weaker teams in EASHL. I read that as weaker teams being better now. What am I missing here?

    That is exactly what I am saying, but in your previous post you state better defence is making it harder to come back for weaker teams.

    Maybe I am the one who isn't getting it, but it seems you are contradicting yourself. Maybe I am missing something..

    Yeah, there's some confusion here. Sorry for contributing to that. I'm just saying that if it's harder to come back now, I don't see how the game is scripting the weaker team to win. It's a different game than the previous generation. Forwards had a huge advantage over defense. Now you have more tools to defend and it's easier to defend in general. Forwards also don't have the puck control and speed they did before. You need to rely more on actual team play. There are a lot of contributing factors to having a more difficult time against weaker teams. Weaker can also be subjective. Some people think the weaker team is the one with less shots. Not every team is putting a lot of shots on net though. They may be more conservative and choose their shots more wisely. Who knows. I just don't believe the game is saying, well, this team is probably going to quit playing if we don't script the win, and then forcing said team to be the victor.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    mhandymanb wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    mhandymanb wrote: »

    Not at all. On old gen, if we were the better team all we had to do was start “trying” in the 3rd to win. If we were winning the majority of the time we knew the other team wasn’t coming back.

    Now, no lead is safe and it’s way to easy to comeback even against better teams/players.

    I can play a drop in games with a team of scrubs and I’m still confident because of EA bull spit that we can comeback to make the game close, tie it and even win it the majority of the time.

    So, on the current gen when you try to come back, you can't? That proves there is a mechanic in place preventing you from winning?

    Drop in games are a disaster. We all know that. Between the trolling and the selfish play, they're awful and have nothing to do with any kind of ice tilt.

    Reading comprehension. ;)

    On current gen it is especially too easy to comeback.

    Sorry, man. I'm running on a few hours of sleep today. My bad. So, correct me then if I'm wrong. The problem is that you can come back too easy, but you feel the game forces that? I've seen plenty of skilled players in EASHL, but it most often comes down to chemistry and teamplay. In more games than not, the better teamplay wins.

    While it is true what you say, problem is, if you go back say 5 or 6 years, you could literally get destroyed. Seems last 3 years have been alot more forgiving for weaker teams in EASHL. A team has to be incredibly bad to get blown out of the water.

    If you're team is the victim of fat-man lag then it is quite easy to get blown out of the water. Those are the games that you know right from the start that you will not win no matter what you do. I'm not calling it ice tilt in any way, but the result of this fat-man lag is the same as how we define ice tilt.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    mhandymanb wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    mhandymanb wrote: »

    Not at all. On old gen, if we were the better team all we had to do was start “trying” in the 3rd to win. If we were winning the majority of the time we knew the other team wasn’t coming back.

    Now, no lead is safe and it’s way to easy to comeback even against better teams/players.

    I can play a drop in games with a team of scrubs and I’m still confident because of EA bull spit that we can comeback to make the game close, tie it and even win it the majority of the time.

    So, on the current gen when you try to come back, you can't? That proves there is a mechanic in place preventing you from winning?

    Drop in games are a disaster. We all know that. Between the trolling and the selfish play, they're awful and have nothing to do with any kind of ice tilt.

    Reading comprehension. ;)

    On current gen it is especially too easy to comeback.

    Sorry, man. I'm running on a few hours of sleep today. My bad. So, correct me then if I'm wrong. The problem is that you can come back too easy, but you feel the game forces that? I've seen plenty of skilled players in EASHL, but it most often comes down to chemistry and teamplay. In more games than not, the better teamplay wins.

    While it is true what you say, problem is, if you go back say 5 or 6 years, you could literally get destroyed. Seems last 3 years have been alot more forgiving for weaker teams in EASHL. A team has to be incredibly bad to get blown out of the water.

    If you're team is the victim of fat-man lag then it is quite easy to get blown out of the water. Those are the games that you know right from the start that you will not win no matter what you do. I'm not calling it ice tilt in any way, but the result of this fat-man lag is the same as how we define ice tilt.

    For sure. I am sure fat man lag, and plain lag is a huge contributing factor to all the tin-foil theories out there.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »

    While it is true what you say, problem is, if you go back say 5 or 6 years, you could literally get destroyed. Seems last 3 years have been alot more forgiving for weaker teams in EASHL. A team has to be incredibly bad to get blown out of the water.

    It's easier to defend now. You have better tools than before. The game doesn't favor offense as much as it used to. So, is the issue that people are able to defend a lot better so now it's harder to come back? That's not some in game mechanic favoring one team over the other. That's people learning how to defend according to the new tools they're given. If a team is truly weak, they're going to lose the majority of their games.

    You're not paying attention today.

    It is easier to come back than ever before.

    You said this: Seems last 3 years have been alot more forgiving for weaker teams in EASHL. I read that as weaker teams being better now. What am I missing here?

    That is exactly what I am saying, but in your previous post you state better defence is making it harder to come back for weaker teams.

    Maybe I am the one who isn't getting it, but it seems you are contradicting yourself. Maybe I am missing something..

    Yeah, there's some confusion here. Sorry for contributing to that. I'm just saying that if it's harder to come back now, I don't see how the game is scripting the weaker team to win. It's a different game than the previous generation. Forwards had a huge advantage over defense. Now you have more tools to defend and it's easier to defend in general. Forwards also don't have the puck control and speed they did before. You need to rely more on actual team play. There are a lot of contributing factors to having a more difficult time against weaker teams. Weaker can also be subjective. Some people think the weaker team is the one with less shots. Not every team is putting a lot of shots on net though. They may be more conservative and choose their shots more wisely. Who knows. I just don't believe the game is saying, well, this team is probably going to quit playing if we don't script the win, and then forcing said team to be the victor.

    The point is weaker teams are able to stay in the game more easily than before. But, as you say, weaker is subjective indeed.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member

    If you're team is the victim of fat-man lag then it is quite easy to get blown out of the water. Those are the games that you know right from the start that you will not win no matter what you do. I'm not calling it ice tilt in any way, but the result of this fat-man lag is the same as how we define ice tilt.

    That's different then. This discussion was specifically about ice tilt. Not lag.

  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member

    The point is weaker teams are able to stay in the game more easily than before. But, as you say, weaker is subjective indeed.

    Yep. Some people feel a brute force attack of TOA and shots should guarantee the win. In most games that will probably get you the win, but that's not always the case for sure. Some teams get lucky with fortuitous bounces and win a game the get dominated in. The loosing team just assumes they got tilted. I bet if watched a replay of that game, you'd see where the losing team made critical mistakes that got them to lose.
  • apperos76 wrote: »
    I honestly think it is connection issues.

    I am interested to see if any others notice this more during peak internet periods. I have noticed that the game plays best for me either early morning or late night. At first I thought perhaps it was just in my head, but now I am convinced that is not the case.

    100% during EA peak times in vs. Pings are always still good but the gameplay is always slower. Makes no since when they say it’s P2P. 3-7 eastern during the week and all day Saturday are delay games. This time of year it always gets better as less people are playing compared to the beginning.
    Sinbin wrote: »


    I'd still like to see one of you guys put your controller down and see how many games you win with the supposed ice tilt engine.[/quote]

    You can’t win but you can put your controller down and win faceoffs when your opponent has a bad connection while they’re trying your doing nothing and still get the win. If it’s helping you there wouldn’t you think it assisting other aspects as well?
  • So when I go on an 12 game win streak on eashl or my current win streak of 14 in online vs with 7 of those 14 wins coming by shut out (or 6?) When am I supposed to experience " the tilt"?
  • sctty98
    291 posts Member
    Sinbin wrote: »

    The point is weaker teams are able to stay in the game more easily than before. But, as you say, weaker is subjective indeed.

    Yep. Some people feel a brute force attack of TOA and shots should guarantee the win. In most games that will probably get you the win, but that's not always the case for sure. Some teams get lucky with fortuitous bounces and win a game the get dominated in. The loosing team just assumes they got tilted. I bet if watched a replay of that game, you'd see where the losing team made critical mistakes that got them to lose.

    Problem is, you should only lose a game like that every once in awhile. How many times are people talking about games where the shots are 40-3, but the score is 1-2. Lets not forget the bronze Spiderman goalies either. I guess it's just lag that causes the dominate team to lose these games all the time, or.dor a low rated goalie to become superhuman. It's ok to admit that EA is cheating everyone. Its a frustrating loss when the tilt screws you, and it's an empty victory when you know it's helping you. Bottom line is it should go back to the way it was, an actuall competition. Not just trying to keep engagement. And yes engagement isn't only about packs, it is also about getting people to buy the newest version of the game.
  • some teams play good TEAM defense and limited their own shots to high percentage chances to limit egregious amounts of turnovers odd man breaks.

    so, yeah I mean you prolly are gonna run into teams like that time to time as you climb the divisions.
  • I think people need to clarify what mode they're experiencing this "tilt" in. There's always going to be inconsistencies with AI, from my experience it's generally tied to my connection to my opponent. If I'm a little heavy it's much harder to make clean crisp passes and the AI seems to also feel like they're battling the muddy connection.

    In 6s I've never experienced a game I thought was scripted against me. I have played many a game where the connection sucks though and in those games of course I look like a glorified pylon.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Levis9999 wrote: »

    You can’t win but you can put your controller down and win faceoffs when your opponent has a bad connection while they’re trying your doing nothing and still get the win. If it’s helping you there wouldn’t you think it assisting other aspects as well?

    By your own admission that's a connection issue. It has nothing to do with any form of ice tilt.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    sctty98 wrote: »

    Problem is, you should only lose a game like that every once in awhile. How many times are people talking about games where the shots are 40-3, but the score is 1-2. Lets not forget the bronze Spiderman goalies either. I guess it's just lag that causes the dominate team to lose these games all the time, or.dor a low rated goalie to become superhuman. It's ok to admit that EA is cheating everyone. Its a frustrating loss when the tilt screws you, and it's an empty victory when you know it's helping you. Bottom line is it should go back to the way it was, an actuall competition. Not just trying to keep engagement. And yes engagement isn't only about packs, it is also about getting people to buy the newest version of the game.

    If you are losing games like that regularly then that's on you. It means you're getting tons of chances to score, yet you can't. You're taking bad shots. That's not the game's fault. Once again, this goes back to people not being as good at this game as they think they are. Look at the records of top players in HUT and teams in EASHL. You'll see they have a ton more wins than losses. What do you think their secret is? The tilt gave them all those wins because it needed them to buy next year's game?
  • sctty98
    291 posts Member
    Sinbin wrote: »
    sctty98 wrote: »

    Problem is, you should only lose a game like that every once in awhile. How many times are people talking about games where the shots are 40-3, but the score is 1-2. Lets not forget the bronze Spiderman goalies either. I guess it's just lag that causes the dominate team to lose these games all the time, or.dor a low rated goalie to become superhuman. It's ok to admit that EA is cheating everyone. Its a frustrating loss when the tilt screws you, and it's an empty victory when you know it's helping you. Bottom line is it should go back to the way it was, an actuall competition. Not just trying to keep engagement. And yes engagement isn't only about packs, it is also about getting people to buy the newest version of the game.

    If you are losing games like that regularly then that's on you. It means you're getting tons of chances to score, yet you can't. You're taking bad shots. That's not the game's fault. Once again, this goes back to people not being as good at this game as they think they are. Look at the records of top players in HUT and teams in EASHL. You'll see they have a ton more wins than losses. What do you think their secret is? The tilt gave them all those wins because it needed them to buy next year's game?

    You are completely wrong. I don't look at records of "top" players. Too many ip booters, standings really mean nothing. You want to start the "git gud" trash? My guess would be that the reason you don't believe in ice tilt, is because the only way you can get a win is because if ice tilt.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    sctty98 wrote: »

    You are completely wrong. I don't look at records of "top" players. Too many ip booters, standings really mean nothing. You want to start the "git gud" trash? My guess would be that the reason you don't believe in ice tilt, is because the only way you can get a win is because if ice tilt.

    No. I never said anything about "git gud". I'm an average player at best in this game. I win more than I lose, but there are legit good players with outstanding records. It's not all IP booters. My point is that it helps prove there is no ice tilt because if the theory were true and you only got wins for being the weaker player, why are the players with amazing records being given all those wins? Do you see where this makes no sense? The ice tilt theory has a ton of holes in it. When you go up against a skilled player, it's easy to see why they win so often. I'm talking about the guys that play a legit game and not just skill zone/short side all game long.

    When I get beat I know why that happened. I gave them chances to score and they made it happen. I could have played differently and stopped them from scoring, but that's how it goes. You don't anticipate every move your opponent is going to make. They get by you. That's using strategy and taking advantage of your opponent's mistakes. Which is a strategy in itself. I don't blame some mystical ice tilt that decides if I'm going to win or lose.
  • Lol. @sctty98 can't take an L.

    Hey champ, if youre as good as you think you are feeling free to test your skill against me in an online vs game.

    Xbox one gamertag BMESSERSMITH5. Five bucks says you won't be able to put more than 2 quality shots against me all game.

    Then I'll.message ya to get good :)
  • sctty98
    291 posts Member
    Lol. @sctty98 can't take an L.

    Hey champ, if youre as good as you think you are feeling free to test your skill against me in an online vs game.

    Xbox one gamertag BMESSERSMITH5. Five bucks says you won't be able to put more than 2 quality shots against me all game.

    Then I'll.message ya to get good :)

    I can take a loss just fine. It's the tilt games that are garbage, win or lose. Be careful what you wish for. My guess would be that I'll just have a dnf win after about 6 minutes in the first. Good ol' internet tough guys.
  • Lol. Clearly you can't.

    And no doubt ill have a win. How long it takes to get that w is all on you .

    depends on how long you can withstand the pounding. My guess is not very long.

    Offer still stands . I'll even give you the ice tilt handicap
  • Lol. Clearly you can't.

    And no doubt ill have a win. How long it takes to get that w is all on you .

    depends on how long you can withstand the pounding. My guess is not very long.

    Offer still stands . I'll even give you the ice tilt handicap



This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!