EA Forums - Banner

How are you hitting

Prev1
How are you hitting people? I skate close to anyone and bam I’m laid out. How do you hit?

Replies

  • leeriehle
    271 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    When you are close to your target use the Right stick towards the target.
    What I found was 6ft 200 lb players just don't seem to get knocked down as easily regardless of their checking skill.
  • Must be my players are my timing is off. How some these people get 30 hits a game is amazing. I’m lucky if I get 10 a game.
  • jimmo52
    87 posts Member
    Same for me. The reason why I only play positioning and pokes
  • You need to have team synergies activated as well. Ones which give plus STR help. Then you add that to bigger player with strong strength agresion and body checking.
  • If you're an old timer like me - I had to break my terrible habit of 'charging' hits.

    I think that just carried over from previous iterations and is a terrible habit of mine I'm trying to break.
  • If you're an old timer like me - I had to break my terrible habit of 'charging' hits.

    I think that just carried over from previous iterations and is a terrible habit of mine I'm trying to break.


    Man what have you done differently? I can’t seem to get this hitting down.
  • Swoops--73 wrote: »
    If you're an old timer like me - I had to break my terrible habit of 'charging' hits.

    I think that just carried over from previous iterations and is a terrible habit of mine I'm trying to break.


    Man what have you done differently? I can’t seem to get this hitting down.

    I really try to focus on not using right stick until I've almost ran in to the guy using left stick.

    Before, I would line up and hold right stick - and usually whiff right by. It was the worst part of my defensive game as when you hold right stick - you can't intercept passes or gain control of loose pucks.

    It's another reason why I firmly believe the hatred for 'puck pickups' is simply the user throwing inputs at the player being controlled.

    Make a conscious effort to hit poke check, stick lift and hitting less. Use left stick and the physics in the game to gain body position and knock players off the puck without using another mechanic.

    You'll intercept passes and pick up far more loose pucks this way.

    Plus, your agility without the puck never goes away so long as you maintain a good glide and don't poke check the instant you control a player.
  • Swoops--73 wrote: »
    If you're an old timer like me - I had to break my terrible habit of 'charging' hits.

    I think that just carried over from previous iterations and is a terrible habit of mine I'm trying to break.


    Man what have you done differently? I can’t seem to get this hitting down.

    Also helps to release the LS when you are within hitting distance. Just glide into the player and use RS in the direction you want to hit.
  • Ughhhh this is so frustrating. I’m trying everything and can’t get this hitting down.
  • Ya they're fun and more satisfying, but don't worry about hitting bud. Pokes and simple body position are all that you really need.
  • WPGjets
    43 posts Member
    you have to finish off your body checks, even if the opponent will be able to complete the pass, you still have to finish off your body checks. Finishing off body checks will make it harder for your opponents AI to get back into the play.
    Swoops--73 wrote: »
    Must be my players are my timing is off. How some these people get 30 hits a game is amazing. I’m lucky if I get 10 a game.

  • What I’ve seen players do that I’ve played is take a controlled player, skate them into the opponent with puck and switch to a different player. The Ai will hit the player off the puck or absolutely destroy them. One of the most aggravating things in 18.
  • EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    What I’ve seen players do that I’ve played is take a controlled player, skate them into the opponent with puck and switch to a different player. The Ai will hit the player off the puck or absolutely destroy them. One of the most aggravating things in 18.

    This is true, but then at the same time they will call a fake elbowing or charging penalty against you for no reason other than to control the flow of the game.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    What I’ve seen players do that I’ve played is take a controlled player, skate them into the opponent with puck and switch to a different player. The Ai will hit the player off the puck or absolutely destroy them. One of the most aggravating things in 18.

    This is true, but then at the same time they will call a fake elbowing or charging penalty against you for no reason other than to control the flow of the game.

    Charging happens when you hold your hit too long. That one is controllable. I read somewhere that elbowing can happen under the same conditions. Hopefully EANHLDev can chime in on this. I don't see at all how it's supposed to control the flow of the game. If that were true every game would be close, 1 goal wins. Blowouts are not rare in this game.
  • Socair
    2490 posts Game Changer
    Sinbin wrote: »
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    What I’ve seen players do that I’ve played is take a controlled player, skate them into the opponent with puck and switch to a different player. The Ai will hit the player off the puck or absolutely destroy them. One of the most aggravating things in 18.

    This is true, but then at the same time they will call a fake elbowing or charging penalty against you for no reason other than to control the flow of the game.

    Charging happens when you hold your hit too long. That one is controllable. I read somewhere that elbowing can happen under the same conditions. Hopefully EANHLDev can chime in on this. I don't see at all how it's supposed to control the flow of the game. If that were true every game would be close, 1 goal wins. Blowouts are not rare in this game.
    Yeah charging is literally charging at someone. Sometimes it won’t be called due to a players high discipline rating or maybe the “RNG” aspect of penalty calling...which is what affects elbowing calls. Same thing with “slashing” from a stick lift.

    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    What I’ve seen players do that I’ve played is take a controlled player, skate them into the opponent with puck and switch to a different player. The Ai will hit the player off the puck or absolutely destroy them. One of the most aggravating things in 18.

    This is true, but then at the same time they will call a fake elbowing or charging penalty against you for no reason other than to control the flow of the game.

    Charging happens when you hold your hit too long. That one is controllable. I read somewhere that elbowing can happen under the same conditions. Hopefully EANHLDev can chime in on this. I don't see at all how it's supposed to control the flow of the game. If that were true every game would be close, 1 goal wins. Blowouts are not rare in this game.

    I disagree. In EASHL, blowouts are rare and the majority of games are 1-2 goal wins. I can see this just by looking at my recent list/outcomes of drop in games.

    I think the penalties are very inconsistent and are sometimes called to control the flow of the game. I also notice a lot of (the majority of) power plays end up with a phantom call to make it 4 on 4.

  • Sinbin wrote: »
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    What I’ve seen players do that I’ve played is take a controlled player, skate them into the opponent with puck and switch to a different player. The Ai will hit the player off the puck or absolutely destroy them. One of the most aggravating things in 18.

    This is true, but then at the same time they will call a fake elbowing or charging penalty against you for no reason other than to control the flow of the game.

    Charging happens when you hold your hit too long. That one is controllable. I read somewhere that elbowing can happen under the same conditions. Hopefully EANHLDev can chime in on this. I don't see at all how it's supposed to control the flow of the game. If that were true every game would be close, 1 goal wins. Blowouts are not rare in this game.

    Charging happens when you skate full tilt leading up to the hit. If you glide a bit before hitting, you generally will not get called for it. It is a bit inconsistent though.
  • mhandymanb wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    What I’ve seen players do that I’ve played is take a controlled player, skate them into the opponent with puck and switch to a different player. The Ai will hit the player off the puck or absolutely destroy them. One of the most aggravating things in 18.

    This is true, but then at the same time they will call a fake elbowing or charging penalty against you for no reason other than to control the flow of the game.

    Charging happens when you hold your hit too long. That one is controllable. I read somewhere that elbowing can happen under the same conditions. Hopefully EANHLDev can chime in on this. I don't see at all how it's supposed to control the flow of the game. If that were true every game would be close, 1 goal wins. Blowouts are not rare in this game.

    I disagree. In EASHL, blowouts are rare and the majority of games are 1-2 goal wins. I can see this just by looking at my recent list/outcomes of drop in games.

    I think the penalties are very inconsistent and are sometimes called to control the flow of the game. I also notice a lot of (the majority of) power plays end up with a phantom call to make it 4 on 4.

    There are some games I play when I hit someone along boards from the side it’s somehow a boarding and other times it isn’t. Not hitting them in the numbers, but on the player side but yet it’s still a boarding
  • RSall14
    579 posts Member
    The "slashing" penalty on a stick lift is legacy code from last gen. Even though the current gen games were supposed to be "built from the ground up". Not sure why they haven't fixed this yet, they've had 4 games to do so.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    What I’ve seen players do that I’ve played is take a controlled player, skate them into the opponent with puck and switch to a different player. The Ai will hit the player off the puck or absolutely destroy them. One of the most aggravating things in 18.

    This is true, but then at the same time they will call a fake elbowing or charging penalty against you for no reason other than to control the flow of the game.

    Charging happens when you hold your hit too long. That one is controllable. I read somewhere that elbowing can happen under the same conditions. Hopefully EANHLDev can chime in on this. I don't see at all how it's supposed to control the flow of the game. If that were true every game would be close, 1 goal wins. Blowouts are not rare in this game.

    I am talking more about when your AI player gets called for penalties like that, though there are plenty of times where penalties just happen one after another for no logical reason against one side where the other team can take your head off with no call. It's VERY inconsistent, and to me the AI shouldn't be taking penalties for you anyways, at least in the online modes.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!