EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

image
Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

How are you hitting

2Next

Replies

  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Sinbin wrote: »
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    What I’ve seen players do that I’ve played is take a controlled player, skate them into the opponent with puck and switch to a different player. The Ai will hit the player off the puck or absolutely destroy them. One of the most aggravating things in 18.

    This is true, but then at the same time they will call a fake elbowing or charging penalty against you for no reason other than to control the flow of the game.

    Charging happens when you hold your hit too long. That one is controllable. I read somewhere that elbowing can happen under the same conditions. Hopefully EANHLDev can chime in on this. I don't see at all how it's supposed to control the flow of the game. If that were true every game would be close, 1 goal wins. Blowouts are not rare in this game.

    I am talking more about when your AI player gets called for penalties like that, though there are plenty of times where penalties just happen one after another for no logical reason against one side where the other team can take your head off with no call. It's VERY inconsistent, and to me the AI shouldn't be taking penalties for you anyways, at least in the online modes.

    If the AI didn't take penalties there's even more reason for people to not control them. Regardless, I rarely see them take penalties as it is. On either side. It's so infrequent that it's definitely not feeling like it's illogical and done to benefit one team over the other and control the flow of the game.
  • I don't know about controlling the flow of the game. What I do know is that everytime my forward throws himself into the legs of the opposing D after a drop in the D-zone. I hold on to the puck a little longer, choose my passes and shots very carefully, and play D a little closer to skill zone, than I would normally do.
    It's more of a sign of what is about to come, than a control mechanism. Heck, being on the penalty kill is a great opportunity to score because it seems to confuse the AI defenders.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    What I’ve seen players do that I’ve played is take a controlled player, skate them into the opponent with puck and switch to a different player. The Ai will hit the player off the puck or absolutely destroy them. One of the most aggravating things in 18.

    This is true, but then at the same time they will call a fake elbowing or charging penalty against you for no reason other than to control the flow of the game.

    Charging happens when you hold your hit too long. That one is controllable. I read somewhere that elbowing can happen under the same conditions. Hopefully EANHLDev can chime in on this. I don't see at all how it's supposed to control the flow of the game. If that were true every game would be close, 1 goal wins. Blowouts are not rare in this game.

    I am talking more about when your AI player gets called for penalties like that, though there are plenty of times where penalties just happen one after another for no logical reason against one side where the other team can take your head off with no call. It's VERY inconsistent, and to me the AI shouldn't be taking penalties for you anyways, at least in the online modes.

    If the AI didn't take penalties there's even more reason for people to not control them. Regardless, I rarely see them take penalties as it is. On either side. It's so infrequent that it's definitely not feeling like it's illogical and done to benefit one team over the other and control the flow of the game.

    The thing there is that you can only control one player at any given time, which leaves 4 AI skaters to do whatever they wish. Now in a situation where there's an AI on the puck carrier and I bring my controlled skater into the play to pressure the puck there should never be a situation where the other AI needs to take a penalty since we outnumber 2 to 1.

    Most situations we need to just be able to trust our AI to not screw us over all game long, and that isn't the case right now. For me there are games where my AI will literally take one after another for an entire period, and when that is happening I literally can't press any defensive buttons because it will be another penalty 100% of the time. This is also when all the elbowing and charging penalties seem to show up too (though they can happen at any time)

    They say that "ice tilt" isn't a thing, but when this scenario happens it feels like "OK, EA has control of this game now" and I'll usually quit the game and start another at this point, or I'll just turn off the PS4 and go do something else for a while.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Sinbin wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    What I’ve seen players do that I’ve played is take a controlled player, skate them into the opponent with puck and switch to a different player. The Ai will hit the player off the puck or absolutely destroy them. One of the most aggravating things in 18.

    This is true, but then at the same time they will call a fake elbowing or charging penalty against you for no reason other than to control the flow of the game.

    Charging happens when you hold your hit too long. That one is controllable. I read somewhere that elbowing can happen under the same conditions. Hopefully EANHLDev can chime in on this. I don't see at all how it's supposed to control the flow of the game. If that were true every game would be close, 1 goal wins. Blowouts are not rare in this game.

    I am talking more about when your AI player gets called for penalties like that, though there are plenty of times where penalties just happen one after another for no logical reason against one side where the other team can take your head off with no call. It's VERY inconsistent, and to me the AI shouldn't be taking penalties for you anyways, at least in the online modes.

    If the AI didn't take penalties there's even more reason for people to not control them. Regardless, I rarely see them take penalties as it is. On either side. It's so infrequent that it's definitely not feeling like it's illogical and done to benefit one team over the other and control the flow of the game.

    The thing there is that you can only control one player at any given time, which leaves 4 AI skaters to do whatever they wish. Now in a situation where there's an AI on the puck carrier and I bring my controlled skater into the play to pressure the puck there should never be a situation where the other AI needs to take a penalty since we outnumber 2 to 1.

    Most situations we need to just be able to trust our AI to not screw us over all game long, and that isn't the case right now. For me there are games where my AI will literally take one after another for an entire period, and when that is happening I literally can't press any defensive buttons because it will be another penalty 100% of the time. This is also when all the elbowing and charging penalties seem to show up too (though they can happen at any time)

    They say that "ice tilt" isn't a thing, but when this scenario happens it feels like "OK, EA has control of this game now" and I'll usually quit the game and start another at this point, or I'll just turn off the PS4 and go do something else for a while.

    You're right that we should be able to depend on the AI not to make the boneheaded mistakes they do now. For me it seems to be on the offensive side of the ice. Defensively they seem to perform well and rarely cause penalties for me. I am constantly switching players though so maybe I have a different experience. I also change my strategies frequently so that could help them perform better. Maybe the same things happen that do to you, but they don't affect my game so much. Who knows? Regardless, I agree we need to be able to depend on the AI better. I just don't want further encouragement to basically player lock.

    I don't know why your AI take so many penalties. They are really very rare. I definitely cause more penalties than my AI players. I'm not saying it never happens though. Just not something I've personally experienced... yet. I still don't believe it's any form of ice tilt. Elbowing is a rarely called penalty for me. The same goes for cross-checking. I believe the devs said both of those are caused under conditions that could cause a penalty. Not just an RNG occurrence with any hit.
  • Thanks everyone for you’re input. Kidshowtime nailed my problem to a tee. I’ve reached 24 hits in a game. However maybe that’s not my game as I went on a serious losing streak.
  • KidShowtime1867
    950 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Swoops--73 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for you’re input. Kidshowtime nailed my problem to a tee. I’ve reached 24 hits in a game. However maybe that’s not my game as I went on a serious losing streak.

    Hey man that's awesome to hear! Thanks for the update!

    Sorry about the losing skid. Keep going though, you'll string together some wins soon!
  • Bmh245
    905 posts Member
    Sinbin wrote: »
    Elbowing is a rarely called penalty for me. The same goes for cross-checking. I believe the devs said both of those are caused under conditions that could cause a penalty. Not just an RNG occurrence with any hit.

    No - he was clear that elbowing and cross-checking penalties can be given on perfectly normal hits if they are delivered by players with low discipline. Which is exactly how it plays out in the game - both cross-checking and elbowing penalties are regularly given on totally unobjectionable hits.
  • mhandymanb wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    What I’ve seen players do that I’ve played is take a controlled player, skate them into the opponent with puck and switch to a different player. The Ai will hit the player off the puck or absolutely destroy them. One of the most aggravating things in 18.

    This is true, but then at the same time they will call a fake elbowing or charging penalty against you for no reason other than to control the flow of the game.

    Charging happens when you hold your hit too long. That one is controllable. I read somewhere that elbowing can happen under the same conditions. Hopefully EANHLDev can chime in on this. I don't see at all how it's supposed to control the flow of the game. If that were true every game would be close, 1 goal wins. Blowouts are not rare in this game.

    I disagree. In EASHL, blowouts are rare and the majority of games are 1-2 goal wins. I can see this just by looking at my recent list/outcomes of drop in games.

    I think the penalties are very inconsistent and are sometimes called to control the flow of the game. I also notice a lot of (the majority of) power plays end up with a phantom call to make it 4 on 4.

    Eashl games are lopsided all the time for me. 7-1, often enough. Heck, even 17-1 . If your games are always close, that's on you.
  • Bmh245 wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    Elbowing is a rarely called penalty for me. The same goes for cross-checking. I believe the devs said both of those are caused under conditions that could cause a penalty. Not just an RNG occurrence with any hit.

    No - he was clear that elbowing and cross-checking penalties can be given on perfectly normal hits if they are delivered by players with low discipline. Which is exactly how it plays out in the game - both cross-checking and elbowing penalties are regularly given on totally unobjectionable hits.

    I understood it to imply a charging penalty could result in other penalties(elbowing,cross checking), for diversity of penalties. It would be a charging every time if elbowing or cross checking wasn't thrown in. If you got either, it's because you were charging (more than 3 strides prior to contact, as I'm sure you're already aware).
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Bmh245 wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    Elbowing is a rarely called penalty for me. The same goes for cross-checking. I believe the devs said both of those are caused under conditions that could cause a penalty. Not just an RNG occurrence with any hit.

    No - he was clear that elbowing and cross-checking penalties can be given on perfectly normal hits if they are delivered by players with low discipline. Which is exactly how it plays out in the game - both cross-checking and elbowing penalties are regularly given on totally unobjectionable hits.

    We'll have to agree to disagree then. I know I saw somewhere that these penalties only occurred under the conditions that you actually did something to cause one so they are under your control. Hopefully we can get some confirmation on it.
  • Bmh245
    905 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Bmh245 wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    Elbowing is a rarely called penalty for me. The same goes for cross-checking. I believe the devs said both of those are caused under conditions that could cause a penalty. Not just an RNG occurrence with any hit.

    No - he was clear that elbowing and cross-checking penalties can be given on perfectly normal hits if they are delivered by players with low discipline. Which is exactly how it plays out in the game - both cross-checking and elbowing penalties are regularly given on totally unobjectionable hits.

    I understood it to imply a charging penalty could result in other penalties(elbowing,cross checking), for diversity of penalties. It would be a charging every time if elbowing or cross checking wasn't thrown in. If you got either, it's because you were charging (more than 3 strides prior to contact, as I'm sure you're already aware).

    Last year, that's how elbowing worked - it was basically a charging call that got called elbowing for the sake of variety. Not sure if it's the same this year.

    But as you know if you play the game, cross-checking penalties are given on perfectly ordinary hits, including hits when players are not skating toward someone, let alone charging.
  • Bmh245
    905 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Bmh245 wrote: »
    But as you know if you play the game, cross-checking penalties are given on perfectly ordinary hits, including hits when players are not skating toward someone, let alone charging.

    Here, as an example, is a typical cross-checking penalty. Perfectly good hit from a defenseman in a set position:



  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Bmh245 wrote: »
    Bmh245 wrote: »
    But as you know if you play the game, cross-checking penalties are given on perfectly ordinary hits, including hits when players are not skating toward someone, let alone charging.

    Here, as an example, is a typical cross-checking penalty. Perfectly good hit from a defenseman in a set position:



    That's 17. This could have been changed for 18.
  • mhandymanb
    408 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Sinbin wrote: »
    Bmh245 wrote: »
    Bmh245 wrote: »
    But as you know if you play the game, cross-checking penalties are given on perfectly ordinary hits, including hits when players are not skating toward someone, let alone charging.

    Here, as an example, is a typical cross-checking penalty. Perfectly good hit from a defenseman in a set position:



    That's 17. This could have been changed for 18.

    But it hasn’t. It hasn’t changed from 16 and 15 either so why would EA change it now? :smirk:

  • Bmh245
    905 posts Member
    Sinbin wrote: »
    Bmh245 wrote: »
    Bmh245 wrote: »
    But as you know if you play the game, cross-checking penalties are given on perfectly ordinary hits, including hits when players are not skating toward someone, let alone charging.

    Here, as an example, is a typical cross-checking penalty. Perfectly good hit from a defenseman in a set position:



    That's 17. This could have been changed for 18.

    Has not been changed, as you know since you play the game.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!