EA Forums - Banner

Speculations of what will be in NHL 19

Replies

  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Here are my speculations and I get the feeling they will be premonitions if you will. NHL 19 will feature more...

    Terrible AI
    Terrible Puck Pick-ups and Physics
    Terrible goals given up by 90 plus rated goalies
    Terrible connections online
    Terrible menus and button recognition
    Terrible passing mechanics
    Plenty of pucks magically going through sticks and pads
    Players kicking pucks
    Hyped features that sound great but end up being underwhelming
    A lot of HUT cards - I mean who doesn't love having 25 different Ovechkin cards

    And I speculate that before the game even launches there will be...

    A lot of "you guys are going to love this" statements.
    A beta that plays much better than the game we get after the day 1 patch

    Forgive me if I've missed anything.

    How are the passing mechanics bad?

    What changed after the beta that made the game worse?

    What was underwhelming?

    HUT games aren't on EA's servers so that could be on your end if you're constantly getting laggy games.
  • Gschlez
    106 posts Member
    for the love of god get better servers
  • Sinbin wrote: »

    How are the passing mechanics bad?

    The passing mechanics are terrible. I've had passes go to the complete wrong person, I've had passes aimed correctly that go in odd directions. I've had passes right to my cpu teammate and the second you release the pass button he skates away from the pass. It's very inconsistent.

    Just as reference, I don't play offline, only online so maybe a lot of the inconsistencies of the game are related to connection? Not sure. If that is the case, then why can't we get dedicated servers? Especially if this game eventually goes the way of e-sport, you can't have user-user connection for competitive games. That's seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

    To me, the game has been underwhelming since current gen. My argument back in previous gen was the lack of effort in presentation. Well the move to current gen they've done a pretty decent job improving the presentation, but now gameplay-wise the game has taken a major step backwards, in my opinion.

    Too much inconsistencies. Everything feels like a coin-flip. Will I pick this puck up? Will my AI teammate skate in the right direction this time? Will my pass go where I aimed it? Can I switch players correctly? What used to be simple plays in previous gen have turned into a bloopers reel in current gen because sporadically the games outcomes and your controller are not in sync.

    I've played a game where my opponent got checked into the wall several times, STILL SOMEHOW MAINTAINED PUCK POSSESSION and then makes a back turned pass like 20 feet to a player stick-to-stick in stride like he's the second coming of Wayne Gretzky. Two players later, I'm on a 2 on 1 and my pass flies off into some odd direction and goes into the boards. Makes no sense.

    I didn't record it but anyone who plays the game frequently knows its shortcomings. The game randomly decides what outcome is going to happen more so than the input on your controller, player angle, all of that.

    Another point, line changes. They should be completely manual. Leaving it up to the computer to handle your line changes is a disaster waiting to happen. Too often, your guys go for line changes at inopportune times.

    Everything on the ice should come down to you and your controller input in online head-to-head games.




  • B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    Sinbin wrote: »

    How are the passing mechanics bad?

    The passing mechanics are terrible. I've had passes go to the complete wrong person, I've had passes aimed correctly that go in odd directions. I've had passes right to my cpu teammate and the second you release the pass button he skates away from the pass. It's very inconsistent.

    Just as reference, I don't play offline, only online so maybe a lot of the inconsistencies of the game are related to connection? Not sure. If that is the case, then why can't we get dedicated servers? Especially if this game eventually goes the way of e-sport, you can't have user-user connection for competitive games. That's seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

    To me, the game has been underwhelming since current gen. My argument back in previous gen was the lack of effort in presentation. Well the move to current gen they've done a pretty decent job improving the presentation, but now gameplay-wise the game has taken a major step backwards, in my opinion.

    Too much inconsistencies. Everything feels like a coin-flip. Will I pick this puck up? Will my AI teammate skate in the right direction this time? Will my pass go where I aimed it? Can I switch players correctly? What used to be simple plays in previous gen have turned into a bloopers reel in current gen because sporadically the games outcomes and your controller are not in sync.

    I've played a game where my opponent got checked into the wall several times, STILL SOMEHOW MAINTAINED PUCK POSSESSION and then makes a back turned pass like 20 feet to a player stick-to-stick in stride like he's the second coming of Wayne Gretzky. Two players later, I'm on a 2 on 1 and my pass flies off into some odd direction and goes into the boards. Makes no sense.

    I didn't record it but anyone who plays the game frequently knows its shortcomings. The game randomly decides what outcome is going to happen more so than the input on your controller, player angle, all of that.

    Another point, line changes. They should be completely manual. Leaving it up to the computer to handle your line changes is a disaster waiting to happen. Too often, your guys go for line changes at inopportune times.

    Everything on the ice should come down to you and your controller input in online head-to-head games.




    Whats your pass assist % at ?
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    Here are my speculations and I get the feeling they will be premonitions if you will. NHL 19 will feature more...

    Terrible AI
    Terrible Puck Pick-ups and Physics
    Terrible goals given up by 90 plus rated goalies
    Terrible connections online
    Terrible menus and button recognition
    Terrible passing mechanics
    Plenty of pucks magically going through sticks and pads
    Players kicking pucks
    Hyped features that sound great but end up being underwhelming
    A lot of HUT cards - I mean who doesn't love having 25 different Ovechkin cards

    And I speculate that before the game even launches there will be...

    A lot of "you guys are going to love this" statements.
    A beta that plays much better than the game we get after the day 1 patch

    Forgive me if I've missed anything.

    How are the passing mechanics bad?

    What changed after the beta that made the game worse?

    What was underwhelming?

    HUT games aren't on EA's servers so that could be on your end if you're constantly getting laggy games.

    I agree with Sinbin (believe it or not lol). The passing mechanics are on a short list of things in this game that are solid. It's all about finding the right pass assist % for yourself.

    Now if we could get a slightly higher camera for "dynamic high" that would let me actually see where my D-man is on the blueline while I'm down low so I know WHERE to pass, that'd be nice.
  • HoodHoppers
    1486 posts Member
    Sinbin wrote: »
    Here are my speculations and I get the feeling they will be premonitions if you will. NHL 19 will feature more...

    Terrible AI
    Terrible Puck Pick-ups and Physics
    Terrible goals given up by 90 plus rated goalies
    Terrible connections online
    Terrible menus and button recognition
    Terrible passing mechanics
    Plenty of pucks magically going through sticks and pads
    Players kicking pucks
    Hyped features that sound great but end up being underwhelming
    A lot of HUT cards - I mean who doesn't love having 25 different Ovechkin cards

    And I speculate that before the game even launches there will be...

    A lot of "you guys are going to love this" statements.
    A beta that plays much better than the game we get after the day 1 patch

    Forgive me if I've missed anything.

    How are the passing mechanics bad?

    What changed after the beta that made the game worse?

    What was underwhelming?

    HUT games aren't on EA's servers so that could be on your end if you're constantly getting laggy games.

    You never experience bad passing because your connection is spectacular. Come play on the west coast and you'll see why people say passing is bad.

    The game was crisper in the beta. Inputs didn't delay, passes went where you wanted, goalies could actually move faster than molasses.
  • HoodHoppers
    1486 posts Member
    I agree though passing doesn't need improvement. It's the servers that do.
  • Rangersny81
    173 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    B-Bunny wrote: »






    Whats your pass assist % at ?

    Whatever the default setting out the box is. I've never changed it. Is it more beneficial to change it? Can it be changed for online games? Thanks.
  • I agree that passing shouldn't be the highest priority of things to fix, I was just saying because of my experiences with it, it could use some improving unless there is something I can do to the pass assist to help it out.

    Puck pick-ups and AI would definitely be higher priorities for needing fixing. I can actually live with the passing being slightly inconsistent but what's tough to live with is your AI doing stuff to hurt your team like skating in the wrong directions, turning the wrong direction, etc etc.
  • B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    edited May 2018
    B-Bunny wrote: »






    Whats your pass assist % at ?

    Whatever the default setting out the box is. I've never changed it. Is it more beneficial to change it? Can it be changed for online games? Thanks.

    Yeah, once online you can change the setting from 100% to something like 50%. This will decrease the amount of passes you see going to the wrong players. It'll also make you more accountable with your accuracy. Itll fix a lot of your issues with passing it sounds like.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • mhandymanb
    408 posts Member
    B-Bunny wrote: »
    B-Bunny wrote: »






    Whats your pass assist % at ?

    Whatever the default setting out the box is. I've never changed it. Is it more beneficial to change it? Can it be changed for online games? Thanks.

    Yeah, once online you can change the setting from 100% to something like 50%. This will decrease the amount of passes you see going to the wrong players. It'll also make you more accountable with your accuracy. Itll fix a lot of your issues with passing it sounds like.

    We can decrease it to 0%.

  • B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    mhandymanb wrote: »
    B-Bunny wrote: »
    B-Bunny wrote: »






    Whats your pass assist % at ?

    Whatever the default setting out the box is. I've never changed it. Is it more beneficial to change it? Can it be changed for online games? Thanks.

    Yeah, once online you can change the setting from 100% to something like 50%. This will decrease the amount of passes you see going to the wrong players. It'll also make you more accountable with your accuracy. Itll fix a lot of your issues with passing it sounds like.

    We can decrease it to 0%.

    I know, i meant it more of a recommendation for him.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member

    You never experience bad passing because your connection is spectacular. Come play on the west coast and you'll see why people say passing is bad.

    The game was crisper in the beta. Inputs didn't delay, passes went where you wanted, goalies could actually move faster than molasses.

    The last time I played on the west coast was a couple months ago in LA. In a hotel room of all places. Passing was fine then as well.

    None of what you said was changed in any of the tuners or patches. You might want to go through troubleshooting of your connection and equipment.
  • CH1l1X95
    41 posts Member
    All I hope for is to get rid of player builds in EASHL. Everyone's stats start at 50 or 60. Everyone has the same amount of points to put into your player (Enough to where your player isn't good at everything but maybe one or two things like hitting and passing, or speed and deking). And you get to choose your player's height and weight which affects some attributes.
  • CH1l1X95 wrote: »
    All I hope for is to get rid of player builds in EASHL. Everyone's stats start at 50 or 60. Everyone has the same amount of points to put into your player (Enough to where your player isn't good at everything but maybe one or two things like hitting and passing, or speed and deking). And you get to choose your player's height and weight which affects some attributes.

    What sort of player do you want to make, that couldn't be provided as a class?
    speed and deking - Speed stays locked across all classes. Dangler and Two Way Dangler are there.
    hitting and passing - Jumbo Playmaker doesnt cut it? I don't think you can give a smaller version of it, as being the smaller physical player is Grinder's thing.


    With Customizeable stats, all you're going to see is 1-dimensional players. Reducing Slap shot skill to increase Wrist shot isn't making a tough trade off, it's a no brainer if youre only going to take wrist shots. it's so much easier to balance out classes.

    I do think that EA could make the Player Classes more interesting by having the default 10 forward classes, and a rolling 2-3 Player Class options that change based on who's hot in the NHL. If Patrick Laine had a big week, you'll have a 70-overall version of him. Drop Ins only? Missions to unlock them? Score 10 goals in drop in games this week to unlock May's Laine. Community voted rolling classes?
    Drop Ins are terrible, too much time between games with lobbies backing out etc, but with missions/unlocks i'd force myself into them.

    Anyways, EASHL is missing addictive elements outside of being in an enjoyable club, but I wouldn't want cheeseable custom players negatively affecting competitive play.


    EASHL player
  • can u bring back the option of scars in customization and the skate blade radius also stick lie and blade option and the ability 2 skate with your player in the customization menu to test him out why doesn't NHL 18 have that, it's in nhl 08 to 14. I also think it's about time to add the option of choosing your pants every player should be wearing their own brand of pants like in 2K also would it be possible to release NHL 14 in 4k on a PC probably not but they need something
  • Hopefully a vision control that works 100% of the time. When I hold LT I expect to always face the puck. But that’s not always the case. Makes defense a lot more painful to play in my opinion.
  • ExSnake01
    466 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    I agree though passing doesn't need improvement. It's the servers that do.

    I disagree heavily about the passing. The servers definitely need to be addressed. So many times, I enter the zone and try to pass behind me and it goes in a completely different direction than I was aiming. This is with 100% assistance. I then bring it down to 75%, the problem just amplified. I can't remember having this many issues with passing from years before. And this is just one type of play where I feel the passing is flawed this year.

    A LOT of icings/offsides are happening because of this new passing system. Top it off with the input delay where you have to push 2-3 seconds ahead of time, resulting in many broken plays. Responsive controls, better servers if that's the culprit would be nice.

  • EpiCxOwNeD
    629 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    I agree though passing doesn't need improvement. It's the servers that do.

    I disagree. Passing on the old gen took more skill than this gen. Hear me out. On the 360 days, if you held a pass for too long and a teammate was near, the pass would hit of your teammates stick and wasn’t able to catch it.

    Also on old gen, tapping pass would send a light pass. On the current gen system, tapping the pass send rockets. That ruins plays when I just wanted to send a small, light pass to a close teammate but because the game wants to send a
    howitzer of a pass, the pass is too fast for my close teammate and can become a turnover.
  • ExSnake01
    466 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    ^ Yes, I remember that. There used to be the perfect balance where you had to estimate how long to hold the passing trigger based on how far the player was.

    Now, you can send passes at the speed of rockets regardless how close or far the player is.

    This is just another skill-component they took out of the game to make it easier for new players.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!