EA Forums - Banner

Refuse NHL19, cause of input delay in eashl

Prev1
I know theres tons of people out there that experience input delay.
It really takets away the fun, when most nights you have to adjust your gameplay because of this issue.
When you go p2p in 1v1 its really good because you dont connect to EAs crappy servers.
Does anyone else gonna refuse to buy NHL19?

Replies

  • BassMan_PC
    358 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    EA needs to address the issue. Allowing users to select their server and force the matchmaking to adhere to the selection will eliminate the issue. The current matchmaking system is broken and puts you on the wrong server/region a lot of the times.
  • On forrtnite , it shows my neywork connection.

    It shows my packet loss, ping, download and upload

    To no surprise,my network connection is flawless , ping is under 25ms , and zero packet loss. Results in a smooth online experience.

    If I pop in Nhl right now, even if it reads "12ms" for my ping, can't trust the numbers one bit. Its a laggy crappy mess.
  • I agree that EASHL games needs to have input delay to make the game play experience fun whether you are winning or losing. There are games where my player "feels heavy and slow" when i am playing drop-in or club games that have 6v6
  • ExSnake01
    466 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    A statement about changing their server infrastructure would go a long way. Doesn't need to be done here, at least on reddit or something.

    Not sure how much longer they can ignore this.
  • sgiz1
    537 posts Member
    Yep,

    TPS skating is the biggest issue as if you have any latency to servers your skater isn't very responsive at all, slow, sluggish, wonky.

    I chose TPS as #1 issues as the servers were still bad back in NHL 10/11/12 but yet the game was extremely popular and fun to play so the simple skating engine worked well with the servers.

    SErvers indeed need to be addressed, but skating engine is what drives the fun of this game, TPS is terrible and less fun since it was introduced
  • Froommey
    800 posts Member
    choppp3r wrote: »
    I know theres tons of people out there that experience input delay.
    It really takets away the fun, when most nights you have to adjust your gameplay because of this issue.
    When you go p2p in 1v1 its really good because you dont connect to EAs crappy servers.
    Does anyone else gonna refuse to buy NHL19?

    Play Franchise Mode. Its the only mode for real NHL fanatics but quit with to less facts of stats. Online game is useless and only for Arcade players. I do not want to play Pens vs Pens or TB vs TB and adding money for collecting player cards for this. This money maker kills the game completely
  • sgiz1 wrote: »
    Yep,

    TPS skating is the biggest issue as if you have any latency to servers your skater isn't very responsive at all, slow, sluggish, wonky.

    I chose TPS as #1 issues as the servers were still bad back in NHL 10/11/12 but yet the game was extremely popular and fun to play so the simple skating engine worked well with the servers.

    SErvers indeed need to be addressed, but skating engine is what drives the fun of this game, TPS is terrible and less fun since it was introduced

    Agreed. Hit the nail on the head with all of that!
  • LowJacK_604
    169 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    In total agreement with the frustration and issues that plague this game, however, I don't think a boycott will get us the game we want.

    Sales have continually dropped year after year. NHL18 sold less then 60000 units world wide. EA has not responded and are not attempted to resolve the problems. They throw a skeleton crew of inexperienced artists to add frivolous additions that do nothing to improve the gameplay or increase sales.

    If sales continue to decline EA will stop production of this title, even though it's their own fault. We will left having to play...Fifa!

    Edited swear filter effect
  • If sales continue to decline EA will stop production of this title, even though it's their own fault. We will left having to play...Fifa!

    You mean then another company can take this broken game and bring back the glory days?
  • 19KRAKA74 wrote: »
    If sales continue to decline EA will stop production of this title, even though it's their own fault. We will left having to play...Fifa!

    You mean then another company can take this broken game and bring back the glory days?

    EA bigwigs probably just figure their declining sales reflect a bunch of people suddenly stopped liking hockey instead of that they reflect an ailing game.

    They did the same with GM Connected. Most requested mode turned into least played, and they still blame players for not playing it as a reason to not bring it back instead of admitting they blew it.
  • Froommey
    800 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    19KRAKA74 wrote: »
    If sales continue to decline EA will stop production of this title, even though it's their own fault. We will left having to play...Fifa!

    You mean then another company can take this broken game and bring back the glory days?

    EA bigwigs probably just figure their declining sales reflect a bunch of people suddenly stopped liking hockey instead of that they reflect an ailing game.

    They did the same with GM Connected. Most requested mode turned into least played, and they still blame players for not playing it as a reason to not bring it back instead of admitting they blew it.

    The problem is that from year to year EA made this game more and more for online Arcade players than for NHL Freaks. So many important graphic details like player appearance and pics for all real players and many stats jn detail are missing. Hockey is a game of stats. This is important for this game. An Canadian producer needs to know this.
  • Can't go back to the old skating engine. Figure skating in sneakers... at least there is momentum involved now with TPS, which yes, I would venture to guess complicates and compounds "the input delay."

    The last time I posted up thoughts on the issue and potential mitigation measures it got deleted or maybe I just didn't submit it or maybe it glitched I dunno, but... I get the feeling EA and their vendors are aware of the "input delay" or "ability to synch across all consoles at an acceptable rate" ordeal and they will fix it when it makes fiscal sense.
  • im one of these players that have struggled with the input delay since nhl 15. nhl 18 has been the worst game yet. its been totally unplayable. with the poor puck pickups combined with huge amounts of input delay. but few weeks back bought new gaming monitor instead of a tv. (asus vp28u) it has 1ms response time and really low input lag. its been working like a charm. loving the game again. its still having some input delay obviously, but now it feels like im playing offline. if any of you guys have change to test the game with some good gaming monitor, i recommend you give it a try. it just so much more responsive.
  • B_Bunny
    893 posts Moderator
    edited May 2018
    Sales havent declined, theyve remained rather stagnant though. And you dont need to link me some silly vgchartzzz data. Ive seen some real data.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • Socair
    2815 posts Game Changer
    im one of these players that have struggled with the input delay since nhl 15. nhl 18 has been the worst game yet. its been totally unplayable. with the poor puck pickups combined with huge amounts of input delay. but few weeks back bought new gaming monitor instead of a tv. (asus vp28u) it has 1ms response time and really low input lag. its been working like a charm. loving the game again. its still having some input delay obviously, but now it feels like im playing offline. if any of you guys have change to test the game with some good gaming monitor, i recommend you give it a try. it just so much more responsive.
    Great point regarding the monitor. The smaller screen is an advantage too as you’re not looking around as much. All the serious content providers that I see on YouTube for this game and CoD use monitors.
    It’s not a huge leap in ms, but in online gaming, those gained ms make a difference.
  • idk. The difference is unreal. it just nice to be able play again.
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    B-Bunny wrote: »
    Sales havent declined, theyve remained rather stagnant though. And you dont need to link me some silly vgchartzzz data. Ive seen some real data.

    IMO physical sales have dropped while digital sales have risen. Highly doubt VG takes digital copies into account.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Froommey wrote: »
    19KRAKA74 wrote: »
    If sales continue to decline EA will stop production of this title, even though it's their own fault. We will left having to play...Fifa!

    You mean then another company can take this broken game and bring back the glory days?

    EA bigwigs probably just figure their declining sales reflect a bunch of people suddenly stopped liking hockey instead of that they reflect an ailing game.

    They did the same with GM Connected. Most requested mode turned into least played, and they still blame players for not playing it as a reason to not bring it back instead of admitting they blew it.

    The problem is that from year to year EA made this game more and more for online Arcade players than for NHL Freaks. So many important graphic details like player appearance and pics for all real players and many stats jn detail are missing. Hockey is a game of stats. This is important for this game. An Canadian producer needs to know this.

    I think it's the other way around. As the game gets more realistic, people get unhappy. There's a lot of randomness in hockey, but gamers don't do well with that. Just like real players, the ones in the game are prone to making mistakes, not picking up pucks, missing shots, making bad passes, etc. What this community wants is an arcade game with more predictable outcomes.

    Stats are a different issue though. If that's why you think NHL an arcade game and not for people passionate about hockey, you're certainly entitled to that.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    Froommey wrote: »
    19KRAKA74 wrote: »
    If sales continue to decline EA will stop production of this title, even though it's their own fault. We will left having to play...Fifa!

    You mean then another company can take this broken game and bring back the glory days?

    EA bigwigs probably just figure their declining sales reflect a bunch of people suddenly stopped liking hockey instead of that they reflect an ailing game.

    They did the same with GM Connected. Most requested mode turned into least played, and they still blame players for not playing it as a reason to not bring it back instead of admitting they blew it.

    The problem is that from year to year EA made this game more and more for online Arcade players than for NHL Freaks. So many important graphic details like player appearance and pics for all real players and many stats jn detail are missing. Hockey is a game of stats. This is important for this game. An Canadian producer needs to know this.

    I think it's the other way around. As the game gets more realistic, people get unhappy. There's a lot of randomness in hockey, but gamers don't do well with that. Just like real players, the ones in the game are prone to making mistakes, not picking up pucks, missing shots, making bad passes, etc. What this community wants is an arcade game with more predictable outcomes.

    Stats are a different issue though. If that's why you think NHL an arcade game and not for people passionate about hockey, you're certainly entitled to that.

    I get what you're getting at, but I think you're missing a subtle but important distinction.

    A lot of the randomness in real hockey results from human error - as you said, missing shots, missing passes, etc.

    In a hockey video game, the human error should only come from the human. AI players should not be programmed to simulate human error, the human will make errors already. Adding human error to AI is just frustrating.

    You don't want the AI ref to blow calls do you?
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Sinbin wrote: »
    Froommey wrote: »
    19KRAKA74 wrote: »
    If sales continue to decline EA will stop production of this title, even though it's their own fault. We will left having to play...Fifa!

    You mean then another company can take this broken game and bring back the glory days?

    EA bigwigs probably just figure their declining sales reflect a bunch of people suddenly stopped liking hockey instead of that they reflect an ailing game.

    They did the same with GM Connected. Most requested mode turned into least played, and they still blame players for not playing it as a reason to not bring it back instead of admitting they blew it.

    The problem is that from year to year EA made this game more and more for online Arcade players than for NHL Freaks. So many important graphic details like player appearance and pics for all real players and many stats jn detail are missing. Hockey is a game of stats. This is important for this game. An Canadian producer needs to know this.

    I think it's the other way around. As the game gets more realistic, people get unhappy. There's a lot of randomness in hockey, but gamers don't do well with that. Just like real players, the ones in the game are prone to making mistakes, not picking up pucks, missing shots, making bad passes, etc. What this community wants is an arcade game with more predictable outcomes.

    Stats are a different issue though. If that's why you think NHL an arcade game and not for people passionate about hockey, you're certainly entitled to that.

    I get what you're getting at, but I think you're missing a subtle but important distinction.

    A lot of the randomness in real hockey results from human error - as you said, missing shots, missing passes, etc.

    In a hockey video game, the human error should only come from the human. AI players should not be programmed to simulate human error, the human will make errors already. Adding human error to AI is just frustrating.

    You don't want the AI ref to blow calls do you?

    Don't human refs blow some calls already? Icing isn't called every time. Sometimes you get away with goalie interference too. I assume these are actually issues with the game though.

    A lot of the randomness is the results of the puck itself. It's an oddly shaped object. You can't always predict how it's going to bounce. An object like a basketball has a more uniform shape so it's easier to know where it'll bounce. I agree that human error should come from humans, but I have no problem with AI players having errors. That's what attributes are for. They're a margin of error for each ability. If AI never had errors, you'd see even more of the skill zone type play than there already is.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.