EA Forums - Banner

NHL 19 Trailer reaction

Replies

• MDubz83
    152 posts Member
    Over 900 hats and shirts to buy with real money for pond mode now boys! Can't wait!!!
  • Tonyfereli
    83 posts Game Changer
    JTechGP wrote: »
    Leave it up to EA to try and find away to get more microtransactions in the game, that's all these customization features are, straight money grab..

There is no additional micro transactions.
    Tonyferelli | NHL Gamechanger | twitch.tv/tonyferelli
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Is it just me or did the graphics and animations look worse than NHL18?

Did they think that the reason nobody liked 3's was that there was just too many players on the ice so they came up with 1's instead?

Leave it up to EA to try and find away to get more microtransactions in the game, that's all these customization features are, straight money grab. Can't even blame the guys that are making the game, because this is something that EA emphasizes across their titles.

EA doesn't care about the fans.

Where did they mention micro transactions? With how they handled Battlefront 2, I'd be very surprised if it went beyond cosmetic features. Which I couldn't care less about. If someone wants to buy clothes to dress up their player and make them look silly, why should it matter? The skating looked much better which could translate to some very improved gameplay. To me that definitely shows they care about the fans.

Don't forget that the hardcore crowd of players makes up a fraction of the overall community. A lot of people have asked for pond hockey and outdoor rinks. Cosmetic customization is huge as well. Nothing wrong with catering to that crowd. Look at how popular cosmetics are in other games. It's very common these days and why even care if they make money off it if it doesn't effect you?
  • jrago73
    748 posts Member
    Are you guys allowed to talk about the world of chel and the ones etc now? Would love an explanation of how the progression works, if it includes attributes, what kinds of traits etc. How is 1v1v1 setup? Is pro am just eashl dropin?
  • Socair
    2815 posts Game Changer
    jrago73 wrote: »
    Are you guys allowed to talk about the world of chel and the ones etc now? Would love an explanation of how the progression works, if it includes attributes, what kinds of traits etc. How is 1v1v1 setup? Is pro am just eashl dropin?
    Here’s a Game Informer article with more details
    https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2018/06/20/six-changes-that-make-nhl-19-the-most-promising-hockey-game-of-the-generation
  • Nothing for Franchise mode it would seem. That is disappointing, but the RPM Tech could make it all worth it. I am actually pretty excited about that.
  • As someone who only cares about offline and franchise, this is much much worse than I anticipated. The series just seems dead to me. If they can't upgrade to Frostbite and keep trying to catch online kids with gimmick modes it's clear the people who call the shots at EA have no faith at all in hockey as a viable sports game. This just reeks of what they did to their golf game. I love hockey, but this is infuriating to me. I've given this game a chance and tried to stay positive, but nope. I'm done.
  • Socair
    2815 posts Game Changer
    Nothing for Franchise mode it would seem. That is disappointing, but the RPM Tech could make it all worth it. I am actually pretty excited about that.
  • Nothing for Franchise mode it would seem. That is disappointing, but the RPM Tech could make it all worth it. I am actually pretty excited about that.

That's really the only thing that's making me curious about NHL 19. I'm hoping this will help with the agility and responsiveness of the players.

• Socair wrote: »
    Nothing for Franchise mode it would seem. That is disappointing, but the RPM Tech could make it all worth it. I am actually pretty excited about that.

Thank you, you have made my night. :)

• jrago73
    748 posts Member
    Thanks
  • Tonyfereli
    83 posts Game Changer

Polygon talks about scouting for Franchise mode https://www.polygon.com/2018/6/20/17446816/nhl-19-release-date-preview-ea-sports-ps4-xbox-one

The scouting actually changes it quite a bit, I found myself almost playing a game within a game. It might not be everyones cup of tea though.

The skating changes alone are enough for me to get super excited about this year. It felt great when I got to try it and I can only imagine it got minor improvements since.
    Tonyferelli | NHL Gamechanger | twitch.tv/tonyferelli
  • JTechGP
    33 posts Member
    Sinbin wrote: »

Did they think that the reason nobody liked 3's was that there was just too many players on the ice so they came up with 1's instead?

Leave it up to EA to try and find away to get more microtransactions in the game, that's all these customization features are, straight money grab. Can't even blame the guys that are making the game, because this is something that EA emphasizes across their titles.

Where did they mention micro transactions? With how they handled Battlefront 2, I'd be very surprised if it went beyond cosmetic features. Which I couldn't care less about. If someone wants to buy clothes to dress up their player and make them look silly, why should it matter? The skating looked much better which could translate to some very improved gameplay. To me that definitely shows they care about the fans.

Don't forget that the hardcore crowd of players makes up a fraction of the overall community. A lot of people have asked for pond hockey and outdoor rinks. Cosmetic customization is huge as well. Nothing wrong with catering to that crowd. Look at how popular cosmetics are in other games. It's very common these days and why even care if they make money off it if it doesn't effect you?

If they wasted a bunch of time and effort on hoodies and track suits as opposed to fixing the unplayable game modes like Be a Pro or Franchise mode, or not adding GM Connected again then it does effect me.

I am making assumptions about the microtransactions, as usually with more cosmetic items comes more microtransactions.

Whew! As a franchise player myself I was getting worried until seeing this. Hopefully between the new skating and whatever has yet to be revealed for Franchise Mode, the game will be decent.
  • Well I have no idea what everyone is already complaining about, but I genuinely thought this trailer was good. If any of you know me/read my posts, I like to think of myself as one of the biggest NHL series critics on these forums. I have critiqued TPS to shreds, the AI, the physics, etc I have review it all.

Seeing that they’re at least trying to improve the skating (and from the trailer it certainly looked a lot more explosive and smooth) gives me genuine hope that this game is back on the right track. Obviously I don’t know for sure, and of course I don’t want to criticize skepticism as I’m a skeptic/realist myself, but I do believe that a lot of this outrage after a trailer that seemed upbeat, fun, and most importantly an attempt at improving the skating engine is very unwarranted.

To improve such a fundamental building-block of the game like skating has to be a huge chore. I couldn’t imagine the hours put into this attempt, and as someone who has felt betrayed, looked-over, and massively disappointed from the last 4-6 installments, I can honestly say that I feel hopeful for the first time in a long time.

My only wish is that I got to experience this process first hand as a GC. Again, we still have goalies, hitting engines, and AI to improve, but I think them taking a year to try and improve the skating engine while adding in new modes + outdoor hockey deserves praise.

Criticism is essential when it’s constructive and fair. Yelling at the devs for 19 “looking the same” after a trailer that genuinely looked different from skating alone is simply unfair.
  • Sinbin wrote: »

Always respected you as a poster even though I rarely agree with you. Tonight my friend, I can with 100% confidence agree with all of your posts in this thread.

I take this with a grain of salt, it can be 2 little things maybe a menu change or UI change and probably small stuff. Nothing major or critical.
  • BeantownStrong94
    156 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Haha... Way to, once again, IGNORE YOUR PLAYERS. What is this garbage? Outdoor 3v3? That's supposed to excite me? Hopefully Franchise Mode gets something. Better scouting? Anything because it looks like I won't be bothering much with EASHL again this year. Why bother? It gets no attention....No this stupid pond hockey doesn't get me excited for club. What a gimmick.

Edited swear filter effect
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Sinbin wrote: »

If they wasted a bunch of time and effort on hoodies and track suits as opposed to fixing the unplayable game modes like Be a Pro or Franchise mode, or not adding GM Connected again then it does effect me.

I am making assumptions about the microtransactions, as usually with more cosmetic items comes more microtransactions.

The people that handle clothes are in presentation, not gameplay. You don't have to worry that they are wasting resources on that since they have nothing to do with gameplay. Again though, all you need to do is watch the trailer and see how they skate. It's noticeably different. Then read the Game Informer article. Gameplay was very much worked on.
  • cogsx86
    787 posts Member
    Looks good to me, Not sure what everyone expected. But the fact they have addressed the skating engine some, makes me satisfied.

You must unlearn what you have learned!