EA Forums - Banner

NHL 19 Trailer reaction

Replies

• Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Haha... Way to, once again, IGNORE YOUR PLAYERS. What is this garbage? Outdoor 3v3? That's supposed to excite me? Hopefully Franchise Mode gets something. Better scouting? Anything because it looks like I won't be bothering much with EASHL again this year. Why bother? It gets no attention....No this stupid pond hockey doesn't get me excited for club. What a gimmick.

Edited swear filter effect

Why bother with EASHL? If the skating is as good as it looks it'll be a big improvement. Plus, you can choose your height/weight again and there is a trait system so it brings back some ability customization. These could make EASHL the most fun it's been in years.
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    Looks good to me, Not sure what everyone expected. But the fact they have addressed the skating engine some, makes me satisfied.

you hold EA with low expectations and for that reason is why this game hasn't improved. If you put NHL on a spectrum compared to every sports release (MLB the show, UFC, Madden, FIFA, NBA Live, NBA 2k etc.) NHL would be a caveman on that spectrum while everybody else is in the 21st century. Still have 360 style graphics on a next gen console. They added pond hockey when that was in NHL 2k almost 10 years ago. They are finally getting around to doing a new skating mechanics after the last ones were soooooo good let me tell you. Instead of doing NHL 3s last year they should've done the skating mechanics last year. I have 0 confidence in the development team or EA even the backlash the trailer is getting from all social media plats including the forums will show this game will be buried in due time. Even NHL 18s sales were garbage.
  • even the backlash the trailer is getting from all social media plats including the forums will show this game will be buried in due time.

there really is nothing in this trailer to bash

there was no real information given to give a negative opinion of what to expect

it was a generic marketing "stay tuned" trailer lol

but theres a lot of stuff in this article that sounds promising

https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2018/06/20/six-changes-that-make-nhl-19-the-most-promising-hockey-game-of-the-generation
  • B_Bunny
    893 posts Member
    Curious where the guys who have been hating on TPS for years are?

Finally get a new skating system and I don't see em!
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • JTechGP
    33 posts Member
    Sinbin wrote: »
    JTechGP wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    JTechGP wrote: »
    Is it just me or did the graphics and animations look worse than NHL18?

Did they think that the reason nobody liked 3's was that there was just too many players on the ice so they came up with 1's instead?

Leave it up to EA to try and find away to get more microtransactions in the game, that's all these customization features are, straight money grab. Can't even blame the guys that are making the game, because this is something that EA emphasizes across their titles.

EA doesn't care about the fans.

Where did they mention micro transactions? With how they handled Battlefront 2, I'd be very surprised if it went beyond cosmetic features. Which I couldn't care less about. If someone wants to buy clothes to dress up their player and make them look silly, why should it matter? The skating looked much better which could translate to some very improved gameplay. To me that definitely shows they care about the fans.

Don't forget that the hardcore crowd of players makes up a fraction of the overall community. A lot of people have asked for pond hockey and outdoor rinks. Cosmetic customization is huge as well. Nothing wrong with catering to that crowd. Look at how popular cosmetics are in other games. It's very common these days and why even care if they make money off it if it doesn't effect you?

If they wasted a bunch of time and effort on hoodies and track suits as opposed to fixing the unplayable game modes like Be a Pro or Franchise mode, or not adding GM Connected again then it does effect me.

I am making assumptions about the microtransactions, as usually with more cosmetic items comes more microtransactions.

The people that handle clothes are in presentation, not gameplay. You don't have to worry that they are wasting resources on that since they have nothing to do with gameplay. Again though, all you need to do is watch the trailer and see how they skate. It's noticeably different. Then read the Game Informer article. Gameplay was very much worked on.

Fair enough.

The skating does look different, have to wait and see if its better, the trailer didn't look overly promising.

Improved skating doesn't mean a whole lot if the game modes are unplayable, like they were in NHL18.

• WeirdViper wrote: »
    even the backlash the trailer is getting from all social media plats including the forums will show this game will be buried in due time.

there really is nothing in this trailer to bash

there was no real information given to give a negative opinion of what to expect

it was a generic marketing "stay tuned" trailer lol

but theres a lot of stuff in this article that sounds promising

https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2018/06/20/six-changes-that-make-nhl-19-the-most-promising-hockey-game-of-the-generation

ive seen this for the last almost 10 years, "new flashy skating animations"(last year with the new fancy between the legs dekes and skating and other previous entries before that), an outside basically NHL 3s mode that nobody asked for would've rather had GM connected been worked on than an outdoor game. New hitting? Cant want to see how that goes because it sure seems like they hit the nail on the head before with hitting.

Im sorry not drinking the kool aid. We as hockey fans deserve more and that trailer left little to like. NHL Legends which honestly, who cares? 200 legends finally added into a game just for you to play a game or 2 with them and then instantly forgotten about meanwhile there are forgotten about modes like Be a Pro and Be a GM which honestly hasn't had that massive of an update recently since relocation.
  • Finally new skating! That's all that matters at this point. Been harping on here about TPS for d4mn years.. The game has just felt bad to play since new gen, fingers crossed this can fix that.

This statement is the best info we could possible get.
    "Grabbing the controller, it only took a matter of seconds to understand just how dramatically the skating system has improved. Players burst out of their stops, showing the acceleration of world-class athletes. Their edgework, crossovers, and carving looks more in line with NHL players, and it’s much easier to turn, cut, and make hard stops. Turns are more responsive and natural feeling. "Before it was difficult to just take a step or two over, now you can actually do that," Ho says. That fidelity of movement is going to be necessary, because when elite stick handlers get used to the new skating, they could be even harder to stop. "
  • Workin_OT wrote: »
    Finally new skating! That's all that matters at this point. Been harping on here about TPS for d4mn years.. The game has just felt bad to play since new gen, fingers crossed this can fix that.

"Grabbing the controller, it only took a matter of seconds to understand just how dramatically the skating system has improved. Players burst out of their stops, showing the acceleration of world-class athletes. Their edgework, crossovers, and carving looks more in line with NHL players, and it’s much easier to turn, cut, and make hard stops. Turns are more responsive and natural feeling. "Before it was difficult to just take a step or two over, now you can actually do that," Ho says. That fidelity of movement is going to be necessary, because when elite stick handlers get used to the new skating, they could be even harder to stop. "

while i agree with you, saying and doing are two different things. This dev team has said a lot and execution was horrible.
  • Workin_OT wrote: »
    Finally new skating! That's all that matters at this point. Been harping on here about TPS for d4mn years.. The game has just felt bad to play since new gen, fingers crossed this can fix that.

while i agree with you, saying and doing are two different things. This dev team has said a lot and execution was horrible.

Yep, and that's why I just want to see game play videos at this point. Words and promises can be empty.

• B-Bunny wrote: »
    Curious where the guys who have been hating on TPS for years are?

Finally get a new skating system and I don't see em!

Hopefully it mitigates some of the "fatty lag" people see time to time but doesn't dumb it down to pavement puck.
  • I find it really funny that months ago EA put out that promising survey about new features in the game, new gameplay, new engine etc. and they put barely 20% of what they put in that survey into the game this year.
  • B_Bunny
    893 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    I find it really funny that months ago EA put out that promising survey about new features in the game, new gameplay, new engine etc. and they put barely 20% of what they put in that survey into the game this year.

If they had the time and manpower in Vancouver to get it all done in the 7 months they actually work on the game, they would do it for sure. But thats the point of the survey isn't it? Otherwise why would they send the survey..
    I find it really funny that months ago EA put out that promising survey about new features in the game, new gameplay, new engine etc. and they put barely 20% of what they put in that survey into the game this year.

If they had the time and manpower in Vancouver to get it all done in the 7 months they actually work on the game, they would do it for sure.

Im sorry this isn't a valid excuse, i barely have enough manpower to build bridges and tunnels but we still get the job done in almost impossible timelines in the NYC area. This has been a constant excuse for almost this whole new console generation. NHL 15 came out, bare bones and it was "not enough staff to even put drafting in be a gm mode" and all the next games were barely any innovation or progression. Putting bandaids on open wounds. There are indie games making practically AAA title scale games with less development staff and timeline of development compared to NHL and they get the job done. Im just tired of hearing the excuses. Its the same thing every single year.
  • B_Bunny
    893 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    B-Bunny wrote: »

If they had the time and manpower in Vancouver to get it all done in the 7 months they actually work on the game, they would do it for sure.

Im sorry this isn't a valid excuse, i barely have enough manpower to build bridges and tunnels but we still get the job done in almost impossible timelines in the NYC area. This has been a constant excuse for almost this whole new console generation. NHL 15 came out, bare bones and it was "not enough staff to even put drafting in be a gm mode" and all the next games were barely any innovation or progression. Putting bandaids on open wounds. There are indie games making practically AAA title scale games with less development staff and timeline of development compared to NHL and they get the job done. Im just tired of hearing the excuses. Its the same thing every single year.

You're off your rocker. What indie studios are making AAA scale games in a year? Don't feed me that garbage.

Also if we want to talk bridges - we can dig into how construction projects have a bad rep for not finishing on time or on budget.

It's not an excuse, it's the reality.
  • My question is...who on my team? The guy in green fatigues??? The yellow track suit??? The red sweatpants ...they guy with the pink beanie?!!
  • NO GM CONNECTED OR update to BE A PRO but hey you can play on a lake or drop hundreds of dollars trying to pack a new legend. The start up song for the game should be Take the money and run
    Detroit, MI GO WINGS

X1

TN: Snipers USA

GT: King Loves23
  • If i was a streamer or NHL pro gamer i could get any feature i want in this game us normal people have no say so therefore we get screwed been going on for years
    Detroit, MI GO WINGS

X1

TN: Snipers USA

GT: King Loves23
    B-Bunny wrote: »

You're off your rocker. What indie studios are making AAA scale games in a year? Don't feed me that garbage.

Also if we want to talk bridges - we can dig into how construction projects have a bad rep for not finishing on time or on budget.

It's not an excuse, it's the reality.

Then how is madden getting the job done? FIFA literally every sports game and NHL is still behind. and theres a bunch of small indie dev teams that made their games in a year or year in a half time. Look at most of the games being developed on steam early access that use the Unity engine or other engines like Dagor. You can look at even the Royale games now coming out this year and alot of the ones that are competent have small dev teams making massive open world destructible environments with over 50+ people and somehow their servers aren't as bad as NHL. You can do the research yourself on this you have access to google and find this stuff up.

You can dig into construction projects but did you know if they don't finish on time or on budget you know what happens? They get fined/punished and peoples jobs start coming in question. That hasn't happened yet in EA NHL. There are alot of dev teams out there even with AAA publishers that have had their studios nearly cut in half or they don't even have a full studio and they still release competent games.

• B_Bunny
    893 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    We can go back and forth all day about this I'm sure. If you want you can PM me, but the arguments exhausted. In the middle of this thread isn't the proper place for the discussion though so I'll leave it at that.