1331 posts Member
edited July 2018
Here's a new trailer that was just released about RPM:

Replies

• RayFinkle1515
    352 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    From the article:

"These systems also carry over into the World of CHEL where you'll create your own unique identity, as different choices to height, weight, attribute customization by class, and the traits you select for your Create-a-Skater will differentiate how players look and feel while skating out on the ice."

Interesting....
  • From the article:

"These systems also carry over into the World of CHEL where you'll create your own unique identity, as different choices to height, weight, attribute customization by class, and the traits you select for your Create-a-Skater will differentiate how players look and feel while skating out on the ice."

Interesting....

Can you link the article? I googled it and can't find it
  • Socair
    2696 posts Game Changer
    From the article:

Interesting....

Can you link the article? I googled it and can't find it

https://www.easports.com/nhl/news/2018/nhl-19-features-real-motion-tech-skating
  • Best thing that could happen to this game. This could be the first legit NHL of this gen.
  • Wish there were actual gameplay footage. I know I know...I sound ungrateful. But actual game play footage is always > cinematic
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    I just hope they don't ALL skate like McDavid, wasn't there talk about player differentiation, a couple of different models or summat?
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    I just hope they don't ALL skate like McDavid, wasn't there talk about player differentiation, a couple of different models or summat?

The article mentions different styles:

Size and Skating Style

While statistical ratings and size will continue to have the biggest impact on a player’s ability to get around the ice in NHL 19, RPM incorporates skating styles that affect the visual presentation and overall feeling of motion. The difference in attributes combined with unique animations makes player differentiation better than ever before. Players like Patrick Kane will be seen using quick elusive steps to evade trouble in the corners, while players like Dustin Byfuglien will be able to use more powerful strides and their strength to get past players.

These systems also carry over into the World of CHEL where you'll create your own unique identity, as different choices to height, weight, attribute customization by class, and the traits you select for your Create-a-Skater will differentiate how players look and feel while skating out on the ice.
  • Wish there were actual gameplay footage. I know I know...I sound ungrateful. But actual game play footage is always > cinematic

I'm in the same boat. It's great that they're attempting to make the skating more responsive but without the ability to really see it in action it's hard to get too excited.

One thing I really hope for is that the agility gap between the player with the puck and players without the puck is closed with these changes.
  • I am excited to try the new skating, in NHL 18 I would draft a guy like Micheal Grabner in the expansion draft and feel like his speed meant very little. If a guy like Grabner can now feel like he has a speed advantage it would make the game feel so much more natural and effectively making him more of a weapon than in NHL 18. That is what I want to see, I want to see the speed demons have that advantage as opposed to everyone seemingly having the same range despite the speed difference. Again, I cannot wait to see how the game plays with the new gameplay engine.
  • i'll believe it when i see it but i am glad ben listened to us complainers.
  • Tonyfereli
    83 posts Game Changer
    The trailer does an okay job showing off the tech, but it really doesn't do the gameplay justice. I don't really think any video would, it really is something you would need to get your hands on to really understand how big it is.
    Tonyferelli | NHL Gamechanger | twitch.tv/tonyferelli
  • SIeevelessGaming
    10 posts Game Changer
    The skating should feel much more realistic to the player youre controlling, which is an awesome fix. Things look great so far
  • sgiz1
    537 posts Member
    I'm just glad EA Dev's got off their high horse and finally admitted the TPS skating was not good, implementing this new skating is admission of just that. Otherwise, if TPS was awesome why change it?

I'm excited for the change, responsiveness and control had been missing from this game since TPS was introduced, glad they are trying to get this responsiveness and control back into the game, it's the one thing that matter most of all over everything else, the user must have command/control over his/her actions, hopefully this will do just that.
  • Lookin good feeling good , can't wait to sleep on my water bed and dream of this
  • NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    Wish there were actual gameplay footage. I know I know...I sound ungrateful. But actual game play footage is always > cinematic

I understand that you want to see it from a Gameplay camera angle but want to make it clear that all footage other than that from the technical test bed is all from Gameplay (just from unique replay camera angles). Even the test bed footage is 1:1 with how the game responds and plays in game, it is just in the skating test bed rather than core game.

• It's just hard to put it into context is all. Hard to put yourself in the drivers seat of the skater with the tight super-up close and personal shots. Again, not so sound ungrateful. I read the article that came along with the video and am still excited and hopeful.
  • Socair
    2696 posts Game Changer
    edited July 2018
    Could a GC comment on this part of the article?

With or Without the Puck

Skating when you don’t have the puck is just as important as driving the play when you do, which is why you’ll notice four different stick positions that build upon the authentic skating experience at all ends of the ice. Each stick variation is impacted by multiple motions such as tight carve turns, stops, cycles, crossovers, exits, and starts, applicable in all directions. In combination with skating styles, there are limitless possibilities to unlock each player’s potential in NHL 19, all thanks to the power of RPM.

So these stick variations part of the various skating animations I would assume, something input specific when skating without the puck. Does that give the feel of more responsiveness when trying to pressure the puck carrier or keeping up with them on the rush?
    Post edited by Socair on
  • Skating looks good, but the puck pickups need to be much better in NHL 19. That is the biggest difference I am hoping to see.
  • Follisimo
    1070 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Overall sounds great and looks decent but ya as some have said seeing that overhead gameplay of it in action is what really lets people see differences.

"attribute customization by class"
    Is it the same pre-built builds or do we get to allocate points? (It's not really clear)
    Is there a leveling system like before?
    Will face-offs be an adjustable stat or just even across the board?
    Post edited by Follisimo on

• GiveMeDaPuck
    300 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    This all sounds pretty good...can't wait to see if it plays as good as it sounds.

Edited swear filter effect
    Post edited by Socair on