EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Is anyone really upset with NHL 19? It could always be worse.

Nickerjones
1 posts Member
edited July 2018
Post edited by EA_Roger on

Replies

• mattyhockey10
    67 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    If EA stepped down, surely another publisher would jump in and finally give the fans what they want.
    Post edited by EA_Roger on
  • I honestly think it won't be that good, EA does not balance new features to online and offline modes i feel its a letdown but offline players are like gum stuck on the bottom of your shoes to EA but yet cater to online players every needs and that except to gain a more loyal fanbase which is complete opposite they will lose sales
    Detroit, MI GO WINGS

X1

TN: Snipers USA

GT: King Loves23
  • lovell2305 wrote: »
    I honestly think it won't be that good, EA does not balance new features to online and offline modes i feel its a letdown but offline players are like gum stuck on the bottom of your shoes to EA but yet cater to online players every needs and that except to gain a more loyal fanbase which is complete opposite they will lose sales

How are they only catering to online needs? Everything minus EASHL you can do offline. Heck, even most EASHL stuff you can still do offline.
    I honestly think it won't be that good, EA does not balance new features to online and offline modes i feel its a letdown but offline players are like gum stuck on the bottom of your shoes to EA but yet cater to online players every needs and that except to gain a more loyal fanbase which is complete opposite they will lose sales

How are they only catering to online needs? Everything minus EASHL you can do offline. Heck, even most EASHL stuff you can still do offline.

There going down the catering to online now and will for a while now, the only thing they did for offline this year is added a scouting system, and legend teams.

1V1V1 Online mode

World of Chel Online Mode

EASHL Updates Online Mode

Pond Hockey Online Mode

I'm pretty sure HUT will have upgrades announced that's there money maker

Detroit, MI GO WINGS

X1

TN: Snipers USA

GT: King Loves23
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2489 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    lovell2305 wrote: »

There going down the catering to online now and will for a while now, the only thing they did for offline this year is added a scouting system, and legend teams.

1V1V1 Online mode

Pond Hockey Online Mode

While EASHL only added arena creator and jersey creator, offline got that and more. Offline Franchise has only been getting deeper and deeper every year for the last three years.

1v1v1 is a gimmick

Pond hockey aka skins is replacing regular dropin ... and has offline challenges.

HUT can 100% be played offline. I've been doing it for years.

Dude EASHL has had cookie cutter players and nothing to strive for for years and you're mad the one year offline doesnt have something overhauled.

1V1V1 Online mode

Pond Hockey Online Mode

I was under the impression that offline had skating. Which would be radically improved by a new skating engine.
  • Kuus2
    213 posts Member
    You know the game series is flying real low when ”at least you have a game” defense has to be made.
  • Good one...so true!
    MRSENATEURS
  • BeantownStrong94
    156 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    And my counter to this is that:

It could and should be a lot better

The game has nose-dived since going to Next Gen (or Present Gen at this point). This was a great game on 360/PS3. Yes, it had its issues, but every game does and as we have seen since going to XB1/PS4, the issues are still alive and well, but the game is worse and less people play because of it.

They rarely listen to their fans. Fixing the skating has been asked for, for how many years now? Hopefully it's a step in the right direction. While I don't mind the premise of pond hockey for drop-ins, no one asked for it. They've taken things out, that no one asked for like EASHL player progression, practice mode in Club, GMC. They don't update their game modes much, like Franchise Mode (i'm sorry, but owner mode sucks. It's nothing more than "Here, set some prices") and BAP.

It all goes back to HUT. That's where all the energy goes, and if you don't play HUT, you're screwed. Money money money, it makes the game more money, so that's why. NHL was peak when EASHL was king. There's no shock that since the game mode has gone down hill players have dropped off, and this is what we're left with. "it could be worse!".

Edited for profanity
    Post edited by Socair on
  • Not going to lie, I asked for an ODR style mode where you walk on like My Park and play pickup games.

The idea around cookie cutter players instead of progression was to create a level playing field and eliminated super builds that exploit size and skating. I think they succeeded in that sense but ultimately it took creativity and customization out of the game and did more damage than good.

Owner mode is more than set prices. You have expansion, relocation, jersey creator and arena builder. Over the years they've upgraded trade logic, AI team needs and roster building among other things and now they're upgrading the scouting system. If you have any ideas how to make Franchise any deeper then please share.

The player count has dropped off because the online experience is terrible. TPS plus lag is the worst thing to ever happen to this series and it killed off a large chunk of the community. You guys act like a new skating engine could've been implemented over night or as a patch. Get real. Regardless, they've addressed that this year and it likely took most of their resources which is why they couldn't address other modes. Hopefully RPM brings gameplay back to its glory days.

Finally HUT is garbage now. I used to poor hundreds of hours into this mode but now I can barely stand it. Auction house still has plenty of bugs, they removed randomly generated tournaments/seasons from many years ago, you can only play as the home team in play now games vs the CPU (which makes absolutely no sense to me). Sets change and there are challenges now but that's about it.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    edited July 2018

1V1V1 Online mode

Pond Hockey Online Mode

While EASHL only added arena creator and jersey creator, offline got that and more. Offline Franchise has only been getting deeper and deeper every year for the last three years.

1v1v1 is a gimmick

Pond hockey aka skins is replacing regular dropin ... and has offline challenges.

Dude EASHL has had cookie cutter players and nothing to strive for for years and you're mad the one year offline doesnt have something overhauled.

I really don't care about how gimmicky 1v1v1 is. A lot of people will probably have fun with it. Not to mention it's gonna be a good way to learn how to play better. It'll help people get better at deking and getting around defenders. It'll help defenders learn how to defend better. It could be a fun, quick game to play while you're waiting for your teammates to come on. Whatever the reason, if you don't like it, don't play it. Many people will end up liking it and that's the point. To make something new, fun and unique that people will enjoy.
    Post edited by Sinbin on
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    What people don't realize is that there is a huge amount of work that goes in to the game each year. It's never just roster update and new year on the cover. Last year with new dekes and the DSS as well as Threes. All that stuff takes a huge amount of time. With only a year to make the new game, there's a finite amount of time to get everything done. Just because someone's favorite mode or feature didn't make it, doesn't mean it's a copy and paste. If all you care about is GMC, of course you're going to think that's all it is because the game doesn't hold anything new for you. Regardless, all that coding, testing, balancing, more coding, more testing, etc, costs huge amounts of time and money.

The general public that plays this game each year is quick to assume there's little to no work done, but they don't have any idea what it takes to actually make it. Peop

1V1V1 Online mode

Pond Hockey Online Mode

1v1v1 is a gimmick

I really don't care about how gimmicky 1v1v1 is. A lot of people will probably have fun with it. Not to mention it's gonna be a good way to learn how to play better. It'll help people get better at deking and getting around defenders. It'll help defenders learn how to defend better. It could be a fun, quick game to play while you're waiting for your teammates to come on. Whatever the reason, if you don't like it, don't play it. Many people will end up liking it and that's the point. To make something new, fun and unique that people will enjoy.

I'm not bashing it. I think it's a great mini game. The point I'm trying to make is it isnt as game changing nor require as many resources as say overhauling BaP.
  • Sinbin wrote: »

1V1V1 Online mode

Pond Hockey Online Mode

1v1v1 is a gimmick

Agreed.

While the 1vs1vs1 isn't my cup of tea, alot of people will actually play it. Plus, those games are only 4 minutes long. So, if you wanna unlock those hockey bags ASAP, why play 25-30 minutes of EASHL or HUT when you can bang out a 4 minute game?

• While the 1vs1vs1 isn't my cup of tea, alot of people will actually play it. Plus, those games are only 4 minutes long. So, if you wanna unlock those hockey bags ASAP, why play 25-30 minutes of EASHL or HUT when you can bang out a 4 minute game?
    Fingers crossed I hope 6v6 full games garner more exp and rewards than 1v1v1.
  • While the 1vs1vs1 isn't my cup of tea, alot of people will actually play it. Plus, those games are only 4 minutes long. So, if you wanna unlock those hockey bags ASAP, why play 25-30 minutes of EASHL or HUT when you can bang out a 4 minute game?
    Fingers crossed I hope 6v6 full games garner more exp and rewards than 1v1v1.

Yea no kidding. WE will see...
  • ThomasN7
    118 posts Member
    All I hear about is new features but what exactly has been fixed with NHL 19 ?

1. Is passing still horrible ?
    2. Do goalies still consistently give up crappy goals ?
    3. Is passing still horrific ?
    4. When you check someone does your opponent get back up within 1 second and beat you to the puck every time ?
    5. What about input lag ?
    6. Is poke check working correctly ?
    7. Did they fix any AI issues ?
    8. Are online servers improved ?
    9. Are the momentum swings too big where it completely makes a player too overpowered to play against ?
    10. Is matchmaking improved ?

See I just named 10 things off the top of my head and probably someone who plays a lot more then me can add to the list. There is no point in adding new features if the core game play doesn't work correctly.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    ThomasN7 wrote: »
    All I hear about is new features but what exactly has been fixed with NHL 19 ?

1. Is passing still horrible ?
    2. Do goalies still consistently give up crappy goals ?
    3. Is passing still horrific ?
    4. When you check someone does your opponent get back up within 1 second and beat you to the puck every time ?
    5. What about input lag ?
    6. Is poke check working correctly ?
    7. Did they fix any AI issues ?
    8. Are online servers improved ?
    9. Are the momentum swings too big where it completely makes a player too overpowered to play against ?
    10. Is matchmaking improved ?

See I just named 10 things off the top of my head and probably someone who plays a lot more then me can add to the list. There is no point in adding new features if the core game play doesn't work correctly.

It sounds like your connection is your issue. You're complaining about bad passing, input lag and servers. Passing is one thing that works very well, but could be a problem if you have a bad connection.

There are no momentum swings. Nothing built in to the game at least.
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2489 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    I used to dislike Sinbin's "it's your connection" argument but since I've switched consoles and tinkered with my modem setup, the game has played extremely solid and most of the complaints Thomas mentioned are fewer and far between.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    I used to dislike Sinbin's "it's your connection" argument but since I've switched consoles and tinkered with my modem setup, the game has played extremely solid and most of the complaints Thomas mentioned are fewer and far between.

Thanks for saying that. I know people tend to think it's just an excuse, but it seems that many don't take the time to research what they can do to get a better connection so they just blame the servers. Which really only applies when you're playing EASHL games. Especially when you use those terrible modem/router combos you lease from your ISP. It's unfortunate to have to buy your own equipment, but it gives you a better connection and saves you money in the long run.