EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details January 30th

Check out our January 30th patch details here.

NHL 19 COLLISION PHYSICS

Replies

• Didn't read the article till now but the Stamina aspects have me intrigued.

Same here. Few questions:

Do we see our own stamina bar, or is it the line bar as it's been the last few years? If it is the line, how are we supposed to gauge when we are tired? How much does taking a hit affect stamina?

Does stamina regenerate slowly during play, or is it an amount for the duration of the period?

While ragging the puck down low, this would burn more stamina, or is stamina mostly spent during hustles?

Does this new importance to stamina affect player injuries, or have they finally been removed from EASHL?
  • NHLDev
    1525 posts EA NHL Developer

Do we see our own stamina bar, or is it the line bar as it's been the last few years? If it is the line, how are we supposed to gauge when we are tired? How much does taking a hit affect stamina?

Does stamina regenerate slowly during play, or is it an amount for the duration of the period?

While ragging the puck down low, this would burn more stamina, or is stamina mostly spent during hustles?

Does this new importance to stamina affect player injuries, or have they finally been removed from EASHL?

Players will see their own unique stamina bar.

Stamina depletes and regenerates based on your personal endurance and what you are physically doing. As expected, stopping and starting and hustling has the ability to hit you harder than paths and actions that are more energy conserving.

Getting hit also has a bigger impact on short term stamina loss so it is better to avoid hits if you want to be able to keep up with the play, especially since trying to get back in the play will most likely take hustle and your stamina will already be hit hard.

Changes in hitting also take into account your current stamina level and the impact of the hit result in terms of how much it knocks you down further. From there, your ability to getup is tied to that current stamina level as well, so getting hit hard when you are already tired is far different than getting hit lightly with full energy. Players will see this in the speed and motion of how their player gets back up and into the play.

Short term injuries are still a part of EASHL. It is another reason for players to avoid getting hit hard and why you may want to get rid of the puck in time to avoid a hit and/or to limit your relative speed into a collision. Otherwise, as an example, a lot of players could always wait until the last second to make that perfect pass without consequence. It is also part of the trade off in risk/reward for being smaller/quicker and more agile vs bigger and stronger with more power. If you get injured, it is also indicated in your personal stamina bar so you are aware of the impact and how long it lingers for you.

The main goal was for this was to give Players more awareness to all of this so that we can make it a bigger part of the gameplay experience to get more player differentiation and add extra elements that players have to take into account while playing.
  • This all sounds so promising. I'm pretty excited to get my hands on the game this year, for the first time in a long time. Hope the actual product can live up to the hype.
  • NHLDev wrote: »

Stamina depletes and regenerates based on your personal endurance and what you are physically doing. As expected, stopping and starting and hustling has the ability to hit you harder than paths and actions that are more energy conserving.

Getting hit also has a bigger impact on short term stamina loss so it is better to avoid hits if you want to be able to keep up with the play, especially since trying to get back in the play will most likely take hustle and your stamina will already be hit hard.

Changes in hitting also take into account your current stamina level and the impact of the hit result in terms of how much it knocks you down further. From there, your ability to getup is tied to that current stamina level as well, so getting hit hard when you are already tired is far different than getting hit lightly with full energy. Players will see this in the speed and motion of how their player gets back up and into the play.

Short term injuries are still a part of EASHL. It is another reason for players to avoid getting hit hard and why you may want to get rid of the puck in time to avoid a hit and/or to limit your relative speed into a collision. Otherwise, as an example, a lot of players could always wait until the last second to make that perfect pass without consequence. It is also part of the trade off in risk/reward for being smaller/quicker and more agile vs bigger and stronger with more power. If you get injured, it is also indicated in your personal stamina bar so you are aware of the impact and how long it lingers for you.

The main goal was for this was to give Players more awareness to all of this so that we can make it a bigger part of the gameplay experience to get more player differentiation and add extra elements that players have to take into account while playing.

Do you plan to go more into detail about creating players? If we aren't getting a beta I would like to see how the changes truly impact. Show some hitting onto a small player from a big guy, equal size players, and big guy from a small player. Pretty much looking to see if a power forward type character will truly be able to shrug off the little guys.
  • This all sounds so promising. I'm pretty excited to get my hands on the game this year, for the first time in a long time. Hope the actual product can live up to the hype.

Well one thing is certain that we are getting more transparency when playing. We might see why our player is super slow from the causes.

This actually sounds very cool and interesting. Kudos for individual energy indicators.

Thanks for the response!
  • Socair
    2094 posts Game Changer
    NHLDev wrote: »

Does hitting also deplete the checkers stamina in the same fashion, i.e you can’t just be a checking machine and you lose energy when hitting?
    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
  • Hopefully now when a player gets destroyed, he does not get up and run away with the puck while you are sitting there wondering why your player won't move or take the puck.
  • Will the hip check be more realistic this time around? Or will they be the old "I'm going to squat down and turn myself into a human landmine" hip check?
  • kezz123
    550 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    NHLDev wrote: »

I feel like in the last few years there has been less and less consequences to headless chickens players who run over players in blatant charging or hits from behind / boarding nonstop all game including late hits. Its hard to not be worried about a system that further rewards that type of play.

Full disclosure: I havent touched nhl 19 outside of beta but based on the past editions, which didnt feel much different than 19, i think it must be the same way now.
  • Can you explain the injury model please?
    Short term aka to end of game?
    FURY-69-.png
  • Can you explain the injury model please?

Short term is like 5mins ingame I believe or end of the period.
  • NHLDev
    edited July 2018
    kezz123 wrote: »
    I feel like in the last few years there has been less and less consequences to headless chickens players who run over players in blatant charging or hits from behind / boarding nonstop all game including late hits. Its hard to not be worried about a system that further rewards that type of play.

Full disclosure: I havent touched nhl 19 outside of beta but based on the past editions, which didnt feel much different than 19, i think it must be the same way now.

The tuning for late hits is realistic in my eyes. You don't have a very big window to finish a check after release of the puck without being called for interference. There are definitely some big hits but we have 5 minute major penalties and players will get called for checking from behind, boarding and charging if the conditions are met.
  • NHLDev
    Can you explain the injury model please?

It is a time window so would only be to the end of game if the injury came late in the 3rd period.
  • repetius
    30 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Sounds really promising but hopefully this cannot be exploited by running with all enforcer lineups, especially in 6s
  • repetius wrote: »
    Sounds really promising but hopefully this cannot be exploited by running with all enforcer lineups, especially in 6s

If they did it right and balanced how much it costs to invest in certain stats then it won't be a problem. Which was always the problem back in PS360 days was class balance where they didn't really fit their molds and become more than what they should dominate in.
  • It is great to see @NHLDev on here answering questions it clears some stuff up. I very much look forward to playing NHL 19, from a gameplay standpoint it sounds like a new experience. Though I still want to hear more about the scouting in Franchise mode. Overall though in my eyes it looks like this could be a great game but we'll see come September.
    Read some of my stuff at www.sportsprowler.com
    Can you explain the injury model please?

It is a time window so would only be to the end of game if the injury came late in the 3rd period.

So, you get injured for 5 minutes game time? And you can get injured several times in a game?
    I was under the impression that you could get a lower body injury, affecting skating etc, and upper body affecting your passing and shooting skills etc. Is this the case?

I read that we will see our stamina bar. How about having a thin red box around said bar, when you are injured?

Speaking of HUD, let us toggle what we want on our screen please. The dimming of the scoreboard is really slow and don't really work well. Where is this stamina bar of yours on screen?

Speaking of toggle, make sure that the settings work, and stay changed. One of my club members have the pass-assist reset every day. My settings problem this year was auto-back skating OFF. Did not work at all, have tried to reinstall, and change user. For my team this have worked perfect all year.

Thanks for the reply, this years version might be the first good NHL on PS4!
    FURY-69-.png
  • I like hitting in game. NHL 14 I got 85 checks end of the game. Is it possible in NHL 19? NHL 18 avoiding hits is too easy, how about in NHL 19? Last one, how about glass breaking hits and hitting on the bench?

• DontNeedTips
    187 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Absolutely* loving everything I'm hearing and reading so far.

...I love you Ben..<3