EA Forums - Banner

Not even sure what to say anymore. Menus, transitions, general navigation still slow as molasses

Prev1
It's 2018. How can a AAA group still be unable to deliver lightning-fast menu responsiveness and transitions after each press of X? Easily the slowest of any game I touch. Something like that should be an afterthought. I never even think about menus until I get on an EA game. I just don't understand how after all this time it feels like I'm trudging through the menu. Literally the only game that I notice menu, transition, and navigation time.

Call up Sony Interactive or 2K for help or advice if you need it. I don't know anymore. Definitely ditch the animations after each press; that's probably part of the problem.

Replies

• Yeah the Rosters screens are definitely slow. As someone who is going to use that a ton that’s annoying
  • I haven't noticed it as much on this game than prior games. It's still slow in spotss but not as bad as last year where it literally took a minute just to do the simple task of saving the game.
  • radspaceman
    39 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Yes it blows

Edited for language. - EA_Cian
    Post edited by EA_Cian on
  • I agree. It's so frustrating to see this year after year and I really start to question the developer's ability. And it's not only the menus. The whole game slows down when many players are online. Prior years I updated my monitor, router, internet provider, TV, console upgrade. All in vain. Enough.
  • LeafsNation84
    151 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    They feel slightly fasrer this year in franchise at least so they went from extremely slow to really slow in one year at this pace by 2025 they might be on par with other AAA titles menu speeds
  • I don't mind the speed of the menus, I am more worried how loud my console's fan gets when in menus, it's humming much louder than during an actual game. Why would the fan ramp up so much in menus?
  • This is what we all get with a 9 month development cycle.
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    I don't mind the speed of the menus, I am more worried how loud my console's fan gets when in menus, it's humming much louder than during an actual game. Why would the fan ramp up so much in menus?

When was the last time you used compressed air to blow out your console?
    I don't mind the speed of the menus, I am more worried how loud my console's fan gets when in menus, it's humming much louder than during an actual game. Why would the fan ramp up so much in menus?

I actually have the same issue, does this actually help?

Are you saying you never blow the dust out of your console?

It's just like a pc. You gotta do it at least semi frequently. It may or may not help, but my console isn't revving up in menus. I'm on xbox one x, in case that makes a difference.
  • It's not just menu speed, but the layout. Everything, after you click on world of chel in the main menu, is just a disaster of organization. I get that they changed a lot of stuff up in this area this year, but it seems like no one thought of how to lay it out until the day before the beta dropped.

Click in a menu, wait for it to load another menu, click your choice, wait for it to load another menu. It's really poorly planned. End of game is a chore as well. Either wait for 1:30 for a new game to start searching or back out to the hub and spend 1:20 getting back into the lobby. Where's the search for new game now option? Why do I have to go through so many menus to get to the club dressing room? Why do I have to go back through those same menus again to unlock hockey bags? Why do I have to confirm my choice after I choose a hockey bag to open, and why do I have to do another action after confirming to open it? Why is there no open all option?

I'll give credit where it's due, though. I love that from the dressing room I can change by skater build, swap traits and customize his gear. Everything else is just a mess.
  • Socair
    2431 posts Game Changer
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »

It’s a good idea to do that every now and then...especially if you notice the fan running loudly when it normally hasn’t. Depends on the game of course...so if a game that normally doesn’t make your console hot suddenly does, you ought to give it a cleaning.
    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
  • Socair wrote: »

It’s a good idea to do that every now and then...especially if you notice the fan running loudly when it normally hasn’t. Depends on the game of course...so if a game that normally doesn’t make your console hot suddenly does, you ought to give it a cleaning.

I'll see what I can find to blow the dust away. I usually don't have any cans of compressed air hanging around. Can anything else be used?

Are you saying you never blow the dust out of your console?

It's just like a pc. You gotta do it at least semi frequently. It may or may not help, but my console isn't revving up in menus. I'm on xbox one x, in case that makes a difference.

My Xbox One wasn't either, but on PS4 it is revving up in the menus, and for the life of me I never could figure out why. I just thought there wasn't enough air getting to the console from the back of my TV stand, which is weird because my Xbox has no issues. But this all makes sense now.
  • Socair
    2431 posts Game Changer
    edited September 2018
    Socair wrote: »

I'll see what I can find to blow the dust away. I usually don't have any cans of compressed air hanging around. Can anything else be used?

Those $10 cans are the safest (and won’t void your warranty, unlike opening the console up) way to clean the interior.

But let’s get back on topic 🙂
    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
  • Makes sense, I just never thought to ever do it. I clean the exterior from time to time but never thought to use an air can to clean the inside of the console.
  • Back on topic though, the menus are okay in my opinion. They may be a bit slow but it is still a noticeable improvement over last year.

Some vacuums have an option for reversed flow and an attachment for that exact thing.

It's anecdotal, but this kind of explains a similar situation, albeit a different game.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/49xf3r/finally_cleaned_the_dust_out_of_inside_of_ps4/

Some vacuums have an option for reversed flow and an attachment for that exact thing.

It's anecdotal, but this kind of explains a similar situation, albeit a different game.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/49xf3r/finally_cleaned_the_dust_out_of_inside_of_ps4/

Thank you, I will check it out.
  • Nah that's not it, even if I haven't vacuumed the insides of my PS4 Pro, I don't need to. It's not that it's dusty, my console doesn't make that much noise in any other game, and in fact, once I get an actual NHL19 game going, the noise dies just completely. ITS JUST IN THE CHEL MENUS.

It was the same last year, only it wasn't in menus, it was during a game, when I was sitting in a penalty box. Huge noise there, nothing anywhere else. Go figure.