EA Forums - Banner

Please stop saying everyone is spamming poke!

Prev1
Look, I get it. EA wants to punish that people repeatedly spam the poke check. I agree with it for the most part, but saying the poke isn't broken is just plain wrong. You don't have to spam poke to pick up a penalty. It's almost bordering on being a game bug.

- Making every single poke from behind a trip is wrong.

- Penalizing a player because they think they're in a decent position for a poke but bad physics "touches" the leg, is wrong.

- The amount of penalties slowing the game down is VERY wrong.

- The amount of stick-checking per game weighed against the amount of poke checks per game is about 100 to 1. With the ratio of the poke being a 1/1 penalty. That's wrong EA.

- The amount of stick-lifting resulting in magnetic instant, automatic turnovers is wrong.

- Using defensive stick, hitting and knocking the puck away, while the horrible physics engine makes the stick continue through the other player's stick, making contact with any part of the other player's legs resulting in a trip is wrong.

Lastly, telling people to adhere to something that's clearly broken is wrong. If EA coded the game with to play with broken sticks, even though that's clearly wrong, would you continue to tell people to get used to it even though it's still in the game?

Replies

  • That's just what everyone on here says, and it's not true. I've never spammed poke, I always try to time it and get it right but even then you still trip the player even when your stick shows it's no where near the guys feet in the replay. It's got to be tuned back because it's absolutely ridiculous right now and everybody knows it. I find it funny how the go to response from people is "oh I never get tripping calls, you just spam poke". Yet the AI takes about 3 or 4 tripping calls a game too, did they program it to spam pokes as well? It's broken, we need to stop with the nonsense.
  • Also, if I bend down on one knee to block a pass or a shot, it shouldn't give me a tripping call but guess what? Of course it does. Every single time. It takes so long to get through games now and there's no flow because of it.
  • BOSTONRANGER86D
    175 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Here are the problems:

    I'm skating backwards on D. Puck carrier right in front of me at stick length. I click poke check right near the puck, but my defensive dman with 95 poke checking decides to stab at the skates. Shouldn't happen.

    If I kneel to block a shot, and you trip over me, it should not be a tripping penalty.

    If you wind up for a slapshot and I do a diving block shot... I block the shot.. You continue forward tripping over me, it should not be a penalty.

    Everytime a stick touches a leg it shouldn't be a penalty. Players get slashed and tapped on legs all the time to cause pressure. But, in this game, players go diving like they got sniped with every minor touch.

    Tripping should be called when it's blatant from behind, if you're right up against a player and your stick gets tangles in their legs, or if a stick was stepped on.

    You ppl saying it's perfect are nuts and apparently don't want a simulation game.
  • I have picked up multiple penalties when a player goes around the net and I kneel (block shot) to force him to go around me and not try an around the net goal. Instead, he just keeps going through my stick and it results in a penalty.
  • It a heck of a lot better than guys skating around with their stick out constantly poking the puck with no penalties
  • guacapoli wrote: »
    Here are the problems:
    Tripping should be called when it's blatant from behind, if you're right up against a player and your stick gets tangles in their legs, or if a stick was stepped on.

    I agree, when has there ever been a constant instance of a player taking out the legs of another player to get the puck while skating behind him. Personally, I would try to get behind him and poke at his stick from the side. I mean.. it's simple hockey sense of which EA can't seem to grasp,
  • Took my first tripping call in 11 games and it was to prevent a breakaway.
  • Took my first tripping call in 11 games and it was to prevent a breakaway.

    It took me 40 minutes and 4 crashes when I first got the game to finally get a game and have it finished. There have been a plethora of reports of bad matchmaking and crashes. My buddy seems not to have as much trouble as others with these problems. By your logic, if he's fine everyone else is jacked up, right?

    Nothing to see here folks. Let's pack it up.
  • Took my first tripping call in 11 games and it was to prevent a breakaway.

    You have posted nothing but positive things about this game in every single thread, it's ok to admit it's faults, there's no reason to lie. It is easily the best NHL game EA has put out as far as how fun it is from the skating engine now, but at the same time it reminds me of NHL 15 on PS4 with how much I swore every time I played it. No game will ever be worse than NHL 15 (I hope?) but for as good as NHL 19 is or has the potential of being, they are letting it get away from them with the little things that can easily be fixed that are ruining the game.

  • Socair
    2810 posts Game Changer
    17Woodsy wrote: »
    Took my first tripping call in 11 games and it was to prevent a breakaway.

    You have posted nothing but positive things about this game in every single thread, it's ok to admit it's faults, there's no reason to lie. It is easily the best NHL game EA has put out as far as how fun it is from the skating engine now, but at the same time it reminds me of NHL 15 on PS4 with how much I swore every time I played it. No game will ever be worse than NHL 15 (I hope?) but for as good as NHL 19 is or has the potential of being, they are letting it get away from them with the little things that can easily be fixed that are ruining the game.

    People are allowed to be happy with the game, please don’t imply they are lying.

  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2514 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    17Woodsy wrote: »
    You have posted nothing but positive things about this game in every single thread, it's ok to admit it's faults, there's no reason to lie.

    That's because every thread is about the same thing and I dont suffer from the consequences of bad poking. I also find the game very enjoyable, especially now that I'm getting into games frequently.
  • I post plenty of negative things about the game but the poke checks aren't as bad as people think they are. They could use some tuning for when good pokes go bad but if you watch and count about 90% of them are Jo Blo poking from behind a player, when it should be a penalty. Just stop poking from behind, it's pretty simple.

    During the beta people eventually learned and the penalties normalized. During early release people eventually learned and penalties normalized. Now we have public release and people will eventually figure it out and things will normalize.
  • jrago73 wrote: »
    I post plenty of negative things about the game but the poke checks aren't as bad as people think they are. They could use some tuning for when good pokes go bad but if you watch and count about 90% of them are Jo Blo poking from behind a player, when it should be a penalty. Just stop poking from behind, it's pretty simple.

    During the beta people eventually learned and the penalties normalized. During early release people eventually learned and penalties normalized. Now we have public release and people will eventually figure it out and things will normalize.

    I'm going to disagree that every poke from behind should be a penalty. It's not realistic. At all. Should every poke from behind result in the loss of the puck? Of course not. However, trying to prevent errant pokes by causing more penalties rather than refine the code logic is wrong. Plain wrong. You are, in essence, causing people to poke less and not poke in situations where it should actually work. Stop telling people to "get used to" something that is fundamentally broken. I expect EA to cut down on the poke penalties even more than they have already said.

  • 17Woodsy wrote: »
    You have posted nothing but positive things about this game in every single thread, it's ok to admit it's faults, there's no reason to lie.

    That's because every thread is about the same thing and I dont suffer from the consequences of bad poking. I also find the game very enjoyable, especially now that I'm getting into games frequently.

    I glad you find the game enjoyable. However, what applies to you might not apply to everyone else. You don't get to dictate how many threads are created because people find issues with the game. I hope they keep coming. You can't incite change by being quiet. Can you imagine if all those threads on reddit about EA going overboard with microtransactions never happened? They would have never been addressed and you inferring that people should just shut up about issues that don't apply to you are as annoying as the issues themselves.
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2514 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    majjama_26 wrote: »
    17Woodsy wrote: »
    You have posted nothing but positive things about this game in every single thread, it's ok to admit it's faults, there's no reason to lie.

    That's because every thread is about the same thing and I dont suffer from the consequences of bad poking. I also find the game very enjoyable, especially now that I'm getting into games frequently.

    I glad you find the game enjoyable. However, what applies to you might not apply to everyone else. You don't get to dictate how many threads are created because people find issues with the game. I hope they keep coming. You can't incite change by being quiet. Can you imagine if all those threads on reddit about EA going overboard with microtransactions never happened? They would have never been addressed and you inferring that people should just shut up about issues that don't apply to you are as annoying as the issues themselves.

    I'm not dictating anything. I'm just posting about my positive feedback and you seem to think I'm a fanboy cause I disagree with the majority of ya'll crying tripping.
  • NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    Been jumping into a couple threads in regards to pokes as it is obviously one of the hot topics.

    The changes to collision detection for successful stick on stick, stick on puck or the collision logic for causing a trip wasn't solely looked at in regards to spamming.

    Players get less accurate with their pokes and lose speed the more they spam pokecheck but the penalty mechanic itself doesn't only consider it's logic when spamming.

    Spamming poke will obviously increase your chance at being out of control but you could still spam poke from a good position and have success as well.

    One bad poke from behind directly into a players skates because they were between the defender and the puck can cause a trip even if it is one poke. In other threads I go into the details more around the conditions/logic so will save from those details here.

    Last year, the hot topic was that players were overly rewarded for pokes from bad positions and it is going to be a learning curve for all players due to the changes made to make to handle those cases more consistently. Even good defenders were getting away with a few things last year that may now be called at times but from what I have seen, the best defensive players aren't taking too many penalties on a game to game basis and still keeping opponents to very low goals against.

    All that said, as I have mentioned in other threads, the changes in the mechanics give us the ability to do a lot of fine tuning if we want to. We are assessing a few things that will further reward well positioned and smart stick play without making things more lenient for the players making bad decisions. We will let the community know the details of any tuning that occurs related to this.
  • CMBDeadly wrote: »
    majjama_26 wrote: »
    17Woodsy wrote: »
    You have posted nothing but positive things about this game in every single thread, it's ok to admit it's faults, there's no reason to lie.

    That's because every thread is about the same thing and I dont suffer from the consequences of bad poking. I also find the game very enjoyable, especially now that I'm getting into games frequently.

    I glad you find the game enjoyable. However, what applies to you might not apply to everyone else. You don't get to dictate how many threads are created because people find issues with the game. I hope they keep coming. You can't incite change by being quiet. Can you imagine if all those threads on reddit about EA going overboard with microtransactions never happened? They would have never been addressed and you inferring that people should just shut up about issues that don't apply to you are as annoying as the issues themselves.

    I'm not dictating anything. I'm just posting about my positive feedback and you seem to think I'm a fanboy cause I disagree with the majority of ya'll crying tripping.

    Taste, saying it needs a small tweak isn't crying. I'd also ask you to follow the advice of the mod and choose your words better.

    I understand where both sides are coming from. However, there are multiple threads being created for the same two issues, connectivity issues and poke checking issues. So when you read crying or whining, I think it's because we're just tired of hearing the same thing over and over in regards to something many on here believe it's the opposite.

    I just posted it in a different thread, but the issue is that we are going from one extreme to another. The biggest issue is the collision physics from NHL 18 to NHL 19. And it's not really an issue, it's just a learning curve. I'm sure this is something EA will adjust, just like when everyone complained about the casual gear. So people like myself or Taste, who like the new features that are being implemented, are getting punished for something we actually enjoy and think makes the game better. (I don't mean to speak for you @Taste-D-Rainbow, but we seem to be on the same page for most things).

    The connectivity issues are un-exusable, so I understand everyone's fustrations with that. However, both during and after the beta, a developer came on and pretty much said there will be an adjustment period for everyone. They even put out a tuner update for the beta based on the discussions. So I don't think it's wrong to assume that another tuner will be coming out soon to address people's concerns. As long as they are only making minor tweaks I'm ok, but for the most part, the biggest issue is people are still spamming. I know people hate this, but I really do watch every tripping replay when I play online, and for the most part, it's someone pressing poke 2-3 times or someone making a poke from a bad angle.
  • You get a tripping penalty for the following reasons.

    1 - you are poke checking from behind opponent with puck.

    2 - you are behind but somewhat to the side of opponent and you reach in but unfortunately you still hadn’t caught up enough to the player to poke check puck and caught players skates/legs.

    3 - opponent is cycling in your end and you don’t know to to box them out so again you get a stick caught in their legs/feet.

    4 - you quick switch player and immediately hit the pokecheck button before you even aim it.

    5 - accidental only if you know what you’re doing.

  • You get a tripping penalty for the following reasons.

    1 - you are poke checking from behind opponent with puck.

    2 - you are behind but somewhat to the side of opponent and you reach in but unfortunately you still hadn’t caught up enough to the player to poke check puck and caught players skates/legs.

    3 - opponent is cycling in your end and you don’t know to to box them out so again you get a stick caught in their legs/feet.

    4 - you quick switch player and immediately hit the pokecheck button before you even aim it.

    5 - accidental only if you know what you’re doing.

    I have yet to try it yet, but can you also receive a trip when swatting at the puck and a player is within the vicinity?
  • I
    You get a tripping penalty for the following reasons.

    1 - you are poke checking from behind opponent with puck.

    2 - you are behind but somewhat to the side of opponent and you reach in but unfortunately you still hadn’t caught up enough to the player to poke check puck and caught players skates/legs.

    3 - opponent is cycling in your end and you don’t know to to box them out so again you get a stick caught in their legs/feet.

    4 - you quick switch player and immediately hit the pokecheck button before you even aim it.

    5 - accidental only if you know what you’re doing.

    I have yet to try it yet, but can you also receive a trip when swatting at the puck and a player is within the vicinity?

    If you’re taking about chopping the puck. No I don’t see any penalties for that.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.