EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details January 30th

Check out our January 30th patch details here.

Worst NHL is 19

Prev1
I don't need completelly new game. It is enough if easports impruve NHL 18, with better goalies, better Cpu players reactions by passes and by the puck possition and better players reactions on blue line. All this 3 things they really did. Bud they complettely destroyed skating and pokechecking. The result is unrealistic game with no passes nad unreal moves. Great job! Opponent can pass in front of my net so I put my stick on the ice to stop the pass bud opponent make unreal super- quick back skate move in front of the net and it is allways tripping penalty.It don't looks like hockey anymore. And my great long practiced stick-skills by 1 on goalie don't work anymore. Not just saved by goalie, my players are no more able to execute it. So, it is not necessary allways produce new game, it was enough improve old game to perfection. X

Replies

• I know, it is not easy to produce perfect game, bud don't forget that players will find the easiest way to score and to win and they will not care if it looks like real hockey. This game after 4 days from release don't looks like hockey anymore and difference between strong and weak players dissapears. Maybe this is what you wanted. To let noobs to win matches. X
  • As much as I’m hating this game right now due to this ridiculous drop in problem online EASHL which basically renders my money I spent on it useless, I can’t agree with you. The new skating is easily the best thing EA has done to this franchise in 10 years
  • Best game since “blades of steel”.
  • 17Woodsy really? I have been in 18 better than 99 % opponents in combination pass play and in 1 on goalie stick moves. In 19 I can't do combinations and not stck moves. I don't care which socks dress my player and I don't care how many bonus jut cards I get. What I care about is game and it is horibble bad. All players in Online Versus skate 90 % of the time backwards and they score so, that they turn backwards in corner and shot slapshot from backward position - player wines up when the puck is behind him - crazy unrealistic - worse than ever. Player scores or shots or get powerplay for tripping if I try to do something. Crazy unreal bad game
    I want my money back. X
  • I mostly play franchise offline,the finely tuned sliders make the game play superb with the skating and all.It looks and feels and plays realistic.Not sure about online play.The world of chel skating is not the greatest but i'm guessing it's more arcade scale then sim.I'd give the game a solid chance before ripping on it.Just my 2 cents.
  • In Franchise mode, does your team's goalie count as human goalie or CPU goalie? Technically the goalie on my team is the computer so if I put the CPU goalie down to 0, that means my goalie will be zero as well?
  • NHLDev
    1527 posts EA NHL Developer
    deanjc10 wrote: »
    In Franchise mode, does your team's goalie count as human goalie or CPU goalie? Technically the goalie on my team is the computer so if I put the CPU goalie down to 0, that means my goalie will be zero as well?

The goalie on the human team, regardless if you are controlling them or not is considered the human goalie.

CPU goalie is for a full ai team.
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    deanjc10 wrote: »
    In Franchise mode, does your team's goalie count as human goalie or CPU goalie? Technically the goalie on my team is the computer so if I put the CPU goalie down to 0, that means my goalie will be zero as well?

The goalie on the human team, regardless if you are controlling them or not is considered the human goalie.

CPU goalie is for a full ai team.

That is what I thought but wanted to make sure. I was hoping "human" meant "human owned team" as it has always been. I put human goalie to 75 and he let 4 SHG through on 5 shots with a minute to go in the 3rd for me to lose 5-3 lol so I'll have to figure something out there. Thank you for the clarification on that. I really appreciate it.
  • 17Woodsy wrote: »
    As much as I’m hating this game right now due to this ridiculous drop in problem online EASHL which basically renders my money I spent on it useless, I can’t agree with you. The new skating is easily the best thing EA has done to this franchise in 10 years

It's sad. Feels like the population had a chance, but I can't find a 3s game to save my life. 6s might as well an AI fest with no full games and people leaving mid-game. There are some AAA blockbusters coming out this month and next month, and if a patch is not out in the next few weeks, this game is dead. Dead as a door nail.
  • sgiz1
    537 posts Member
    The cure to this game is slapping EA in the face, just go back and analyze what year titles were the most fan favorite years? Go back to that, and what worked!!! Simple!
  • sgiz1 wrote: »
    The cure to this game is slapping EA in the face, just go back and analyze what year titles were the most fan favorite years? Go back to that, and what worked!!! Simple!

What if this is my fan favorite year though?
  • sgiz1
    537 posts Member
    "What if this is my fan favorite year though? "

Then your vote would be for NHL 19 even if the general population is giving up on this game.
  • All I got to say is that the Dynamic Difficulty Adjustment which is known as DDA which was patent by EA in 2016 ruins this game. People also like to refer to DDA as ice tilt or momentum just completely steamrolls you no matter how good you think your skill level is. I will break it down for you.

The home team automatically gets momentum or as we like to call it in real sports home field or home ice advantage right off the bat. Your opponent which already has momentum to starts scores on you first which happens most of the time. Within a minute or 2 your opponent will score again thanks to the large momentum swings. Now this is where Dynamic Difficulty takes action. Now, momentum as we like to call it swings in your favor so now that you can score on your opponent to keeping the game close. When DDA kicks in it completely dumbs down your skills giving the lesser skilled opponent a chance to compete.

EA feels this is the best way to keep new players and lesser skilled players happy with the game. EA feels as long as casuals are happy they can compete EA can create more sales which is not the case. It actually does the complete opposite. There is a skill gap to this game but only to a certain point then DDA controls who wins and who loses each and every time.

This truly based off of HUT gameplay not EASHL or Versus. I'm not sure I'll every buy another EA sports game again. They need to get rid of this nonsense and give us a player skilled game not no DDA matchmaking nonsense. If I win I want to win because I am better. If I lose I want to lose because my opponent was simply better than me. I don't want no computer software controlling my gaming experience by determining outcomes.
  • ThomasN7 wrote: »
    All I got to say is that the Dynamic Difficulty Adjustment which is known as DDA which was patent by EA in 2016 ruins this game. People also like to refer to DDA as ice tilt or momentum just completely steamrolls you no matter how good you think your skill level is. I will break it down for you.

The home team automatically gets momentum or as we like to call it in real sports home field or home ice advantage right off the bat. Your opponent which already has momentum to starts scores on you first which happens most of the time. Within a minute or 2 your opponent will score again thanks to the large momentum swings. Now this is where Dynamic Difficulty takes action. Now, momentum as we like to call it swings in your favor so now that you can score on your opponent to keeping the game close. When DDA kicks in it completely dumbs down your skills giving the lesser skilled opponent a chance to compete.

EA feels this is the best way to keep new players and lesser skilled players happy with the game. EA feels as long as casuals are happy they can compete EA can create more sales which is not the case. It actually does the complete opposite. There is a skill gap to this game but only to a certain point then DDA controls who wins and who loses each and every time.

This truly based off of HUT gameplay not EASHL or Versus. I'm not sure I'll every buy another EA sports game again. They need to get rid of this nonsense and give us a player skilled game not no DDA matchmaking nonsense. If I win I want to win because I am better. If I lose I want to lose because my opponent was simply better than me. I don't want no computer software controlling my gaming experience by determining outcomes.

Show me objective evidence, and not confirmation bias, and I'm sure many will accept your conspiracy theory.

The only players struggling, are those who are trying to play the game like its an older version.

If what you said was true, it would be impossible to have a mostly winning record. Good players have that. Players who THINK they're good (or at least think they're better than they are), will have similar feelings to yourself.

The Dunning Kruger effect is strong here.
  • sgiz1
    537 posts Member
    ^ Agree...

There is something at the programming level trying to keep things close.

Nintendo Wii experimented with this about 10 years ago with Tiger Woods "All Play", they openly advertised this as "everyone can compete and everyone can win", where the game was programmed to allow handicapping somehow to help lesser skilled players keep up, have some success and enjoy the game.
    All I got to say is that the Dynamic Difficulty Adjustment which is known as DDA which was patent by EA in 2016 ruins this game. People also like to refer to DDA as ice tilt or momentum just completely steamrolls you no matter how good you think your skill level is. I will break it down for you.

Show me objective evidence, and not confirmation bias, and I'm sure many will accept your conspiracy theory.

The only players struggling, are those who are trying to play the game like its an older version.

If what you said was true, it would be impossible to have a mostly winning record. Good players have that. Players who THINK they're good (or at least think they're better than they are), will have similar feelings to yourself.

Why don't you just read this and now tell me if I am lying or not. I'm far from a pro at this game but wow to be so blind...

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/01/ea-has-tested-online-matchmaking-algorithms-to-favor-engagement-not-fairness/
  • sgiz1
    537 posts Member
    It makes sense why EA would want to do this from a business standpoint, where EA is wrong is they don't advertise this or make us aware which is shady at best, fraudulent at worst.

Bad or average players won't keep playing this game if they can't compete is EA's take, so the game "tries" doesn't always succeed, but tries to keep games close to keep the bad and average population "engaged", keep playing.

Extremely frustrating for anyone good at the game being in a grind after grind, time and time again while dominating the game to either barely win or lose.

• VeNOM2099
    2874 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    @ThomasN7

As I explained this morning on Himoccio's Twitch stream, DDA was something EA was working on for their casual games, like Pop Cap and web based games. And although the article does speculate that they were looking into incorporating that (or something similar) into their mainstream titles, it's not quite there yet.

The real problem, IMO, is how many developers nowadays will design their games around uncertainty of outcome. EA isn't the only one though. Companies like Capcom, Activision and even Nintendo have used this method to allow newer players and casuals to feel like they have a chance by including scenarios where it's not really up to skill to decide, but random events.

If you're interested in finding out more about this issue, then search Youtube for "reducing skill gap". The 1st result is a video by A-Core Gaming.

Now, does that mean that the NHL devs have purposely programmed their game to do this? No. I think it's more of a factor that NHL is a very complex game, with many, many layers to it. Maybe too many. The more complicated you make something, the harder it is to keep it under control. Imagine instead of the end result being dictated by 5 or 6 factors, well it's being decided by dozens, maybe even hundreds of them.

I think that's also what @sgiz1 is sort of referring to. Back in the days of NHL 09 to 12, things weren't so complicated. Players who mastered the few factors that lead to victory were rewarded, while those that didn't... It had not so much to do with "skill" but more with being opportunistic. The top players knew every scenario that lead to easy goals and how to defend against them. When they played someone with less knowledge then them, it led to those "12-2" games he's so fond of remembering. And when they played against better players, they would place them in what we in the FGC (Fighting Game Community) like to call as a 50/50.

Basically, you're put into a situation where you have to guess instead of react. Guess right? You're good. Guess wrong? Now you're down one goal.

The game has become way more complicated now. It's not just about twitch skills alone. You can't really place players into a 50/50 situation anymore because both players have so many more options available to them. Armed with a modicum of knowledge and a little skill in gaming, you can do relatively well. It's just that now, with the advent of uncertainty in outcome, even the most skilled will sometimes lose to "random" occurences instead of losing because they necessarily played badly.

And that, I think, is what causes frustration among players.
    ThomasN7 wrote: »

Why don't you just read this and now tell me if I am lying or not. I'm far from a pro at this game but wow to be so blind...

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/01/ea-has-tested-online-matchmaking-algorithms-to-favor-engagement-not-fairness/

Why don't you show me something that talks about it actually being implemented first?
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    @ThomasN7

As I explained this morning on Himoccio's Twitch stream, DDA was something EA was working on for their casual games, like Pop Cap and web based games. And although the article does speculate that they were looking into incorporating that (or something similar) into their mainstream titles, it's not quite there yet.

The real problem, IMO, is how many developers nowadays will design their games around uncertainty of outcome. EA isn't the only one though. Companies like Capcom, Activision and even Nintendo have used this method to allow newer players and casuals to feel like they have a chance by including scenarios where it's not really up to skill to decide, but random events.

If you're interested in finding out more about this issue, then search Youtube for "reducing skill gap". The 1st result is a video by A-Core Gaming.

Now, does that mean that the NHL devs have purposely programmed their game to do this? No. I think it's more of a factor that NHL is a very complex game, with many, many layers to it. Maybe too many. The more complicated you make something, the harder it is to keep it under control. Imagine instead of the end result being dictated by 5 or 6 factors, well it's being decided by dozens, maybe even hundreds of them.

I think that's also what @sgiz1 is sort of referring to. Back in the days of NHL 09 to 12, things weren't so complicated. Players who mastered the few factors that lead to victory were rewarded, while those that didn't... It had not so much to do with "skill" but more with being opportunistic. The top players knew every scenario that lead to easy goals and how to defend against them. When they played someone with less knowledge then them, it led to those "12-2" games he's so fond of remembering. And when they played against better players, they would place them in what we in the FGC (Fighting Game Community) like to call as a 50/50.

Basically, you're put into a situation where you have to guess instead of react. Guess right? You're good. Guess wrong? Now you're down one goal.

The game has become way more complicated now. It's not just about twitch skills alone. You can't really place players into a 50/50 situation anymore because both players have so many more options available to them. Armed with a modicum of knowledge and a little skill in gaming, you can do relatively well. It's just that now, with the advent of uncertainty in outcome, even the most skilled will sometimes lose to "random" occurences instead of losing because they necessarily played badly.

And that, I think, is what causes frustration among players.

Now this is something that actually makes sense to me logically. And explains Imo what people experience.

Totally agree with the above points here.